Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Boundaries of Parents ❯ Evolution of Zoids ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fiona awoke early the next morning and noticed that Van had already left. "Why doesn't that surprise me?" She thought to herself. After getting dressed, she went down the hall to her son's bedroom.

The base's dorm was spacious and well furnished. As a captain in the Guardian Force, Van was able to provide his family with everything they needed. Fiona had decorated their home with mementos of past achievements and future goals. Pictures of friends and family had heavy emphasis on the walls. It gave the place a sense of comfort and serenity.

She walked in quietly to the little boy's room. He woke up as soon as he heard his mother enter the room. "You are you're father's son." She told him proudly. Van hadn't been a light sleeper since his son was born.

"It's time to get you dressed. Would you like to see your dad at work, today?"

The boy gave a wide smile and clapped excitedly.

She looked down at him and smiled back. "That's what I thought."

It was a short trip to base headquarters. Fiona sensed something wrong, but hid her feelings from the child she was holding. She walked through all the security measures and finally entered the strategy room. Captain Thomas Schubaltz and Colonel Karl Schubaltz were discussing something with Colonel Rob Herman.

"Why, good morning, Mrs. Freiheit." Thomas looked at the child that entered the room with her. "And how is the little one doing?"

"He'll probably be asleep in a matter of minutes. We spent all day in the village yesterday."

The boy walked over to the computers where Zoids design and specs were being studied. Each screen had a different Zoid on it. There seemed to be one in particular that caught his eye.

"Just like his father." Both colonels said in unison.

"Guess that rules out nap time." Karl walked over to Fiona's son and stared at the Zoid with him.

"Is that the new Liger Zoid Dr. D has been working on?"

"Oh, I forgot, you haven't been around the base lately. This is Dr. D's pride and joy." Thomas answered Fiona. He looked at her and remembered his feelings for her. The captain had come a long way from the first time he met her. Van was no longer his rival, he was one of his best friends and he trusted him completely in battle. Thomas knew that Fiona only loved Van and her son. He learned to live with it and he had become sincerely happy for her.

"We're very pleased with the progress that has been made with this Zoid. Hopefully, it'll have capabilities that exceed the Blade Liger." Rob beamed with pride as he looked at the computer.

Fiona asked if their had been any progress with the actual Liger.

"Nothing has changed since our last meeting. Van is ready to take him for a test drive. In fact, he's in the hangar now." Karl picked the little boy up and left him staring at the ivory Zoid from over his shoulder. He was followed closely by Fiona, Rob, and his brother.

Van was going over some weapon changes with a technician when he heard Karl enter the hangar. He looked up to see him holding his son, and he smiled as the little boy held out his arms towards his father.

"Hi there, big fellow!" He lifted the boy up high over his head. "And where did your mother run off to?"

Van turned around to see Fiona staring at the new Liger. She didn't seem to pay attention to anything else that was happening around her. Van gave her an odd look, but he figured she was just mesmerized by what she saw.

"Captain, you might want to see what the technicians have come up with for the new Liger. It meets your weapon requirements, with a small twist." He followed the tech to a lab room upstairs.

"Gentlemen, if you'll have a seat. Um, Captain Freiheit, don't you think your wife would want to be here, too?"

He glanced out the window towards the ground. Fiona began to walk around the Liger in circles. Zeke walked with her, making the same inspections. She seemed fine, so Van decided to leave her alone.

"It's okay, Catherine, you can proceed with the briefing."

"Very well, sir. The original concept for this project was to design a Zoid that would have the capabilities of three Zoids combined. To do this, a Zoid would have to be the size of the Genobreaker, but it would lack the same agility. After weeks of deliberating this predicament, the techs and I have found a rather simple solution."

"Really? Please go on." Dr. D stepped into the room and sat down next to Van.

Catherine was taken aback by the scientist's reappearance. He had disappeared two weeks ago, around the time of the Liger weapons debate.

"Dr. D?" she simply stated before moving on. "Yes, well, let me show you what you I'm talking about."

She pulled up a screen in the middle of the table. It showed the white Liger exactly as it was in the room beneath them. She pressed a button on the table, which activated a panel to roll over and reveal a keyboard. After typing in a few commands, the Liger split apart and began rotating 360 degrees.

"We've decided the Liger can become the three different Zoids it was intended to be, while actually gaining agility, for the most part. The main Liger as it is seen here, is named the Liger Zero." Catherine seemed pleased with herself as the officers looked at the screen in amazement.

"The first CAS, or conversion armor system, of the Liger is the speed mode."

"That's not a very creative name." Dr. D observed.

"I know, sir, but we've just now finished the CAS's. The names are a work in a progress." She seemed puzzled by the comment, but continued her presentation.

Again, she typed in a few commands and new parts attached to the main body. "Type one matches the speed and agility of the Lightning Saix, with it's own unique style. Next, we have the blades unit. Its strike laser claw is combined with blades to give it the edge of the Blade Liger. Speed is sacrificed in this mode, but not as much as you might think."

The Liger split apart for the second time to make way for the new parts. Catherine still wasn't finished. The Zoid virtually split apart for the last time to produce the final unit.

"The final unit is based on a massive weapons attack mode. According to my calculations, speed is decreased dramatically, if it's there at all. The last parts combination is so heavy that it might be better used as a stationary weapons unit, providing support in long range combat against heavy forces. All of this is theoretical; we have yet to test the new components."

Van stood up and leaned against the table. He stared at each of the CAS's individually, making mental notes as he looked. Karl stood beside him and asked if a test run had been scheduled, yet.

"Not that I know of. I know the parts were being specially built, but I had no idea that this is how they would be used."

Catherine had a worried look on her face as she saw the other men sitting there, speechless. She cleared her throat, "Questions? Comments?"

Thomas was busy printing out the specs for each design. He made his own calculations and they matched the technicians. A small grin appeared on his face as he looked at his friend and brother. "I like it. In fact, I like it a lot!"

Rob took the empty seat besides Dr. D and asked him what he thought about the project.

"I have been a Republican scientist for years. Now, I work for the Guardian Force as their chief scientist. These youngsters have a lot to learn still." Catherine's face fell as she heard these words, but the doctor wasn't finished. "But as Thomas so eloquently put it, I like it a lot! I'm not going to be around to baby-sit forever. I have to be sure that my crew understands what they're doing."

"I believe in them. After all, they were guided by the best." Rob gave the young technician a smile.

"I know they were!" Dr. D agreed.

Karl and Van hadn't said anything the whole time. They finally looked up and nodded their heads towards the others.

"You guys, I believe I speak for the colonel as well by saying this is a fantastic job! I can't wait to get into that cockpit!" His son's laughter let everybody know of his approval, too.

Meanwhile, Fiona was chatting with Zeke as they finished their tour of the new Zoid.

"Impressive, isn't it Zeke?" Zeke gave a small roar of approval.

The officers and the tech came out of the lab room to meet Fiona and the organoid. Van handed their son over to his wife, and Zeke immediately took a place in front of the child.

"He's like a big brother. He loves this child as much as we do." Fiona smiled at Van as he petted Zeke on the head.

"Man, Fiona, you should see the progress they're making on this Zoid. It's going to be unbeatable when it's through." He briefed her on what she missed during the meeting. She looked amazed the whole time he was explaining the systems to her.

"Sounds like someone found himself a new toy!" She grinned at Van again.

The baby boy bounced and squirmed in his mother's arms, telling her to put him down. She obliged and he went straight for the new Liger. He sat in front of it, never letting his eyes leave it for a moment.

"I think I know who that somebody is, too." Van smirked at his wife and friends.

Suddenly, Fiona turned towards the window at the same time Zeke did. "Did you hear that?"

Van looked around cautiously before replying he hadn't heard anything unusual. "What's the matter, Fiona?"

She put her hand to her heart and looked at her husband with a fake smile. "It's probably just the usual noise a base makes during a busy day."

Everybody gave an uncomfortable laugh, trying to assure Fiona it really was nothing. They all knew better than to take Fiona's feelings for granted. Ancient Zoidians, especially mothers, knew exactly what was going on at all times.