Fan Fiction ❯ For One To Trust ❯ Chapter Seven: Deserted ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
For One To Trust
By Kimberly Lucker
All characters and parts of this story are original so don't take them!

Chapter 7: Deserted


After floating in the waves for several hours, Aolan and Crystal washed up unconscious onto a strange desert land, their hands still clutching to the others. The desert was covered in black sand.

Aolan was the first to wake to the rising sun. He rose onto his hind legs and the sun blinded him. He used his paw to shield his eyes as he scanned the desert to get his bearings. Crystal woke soon after Aolan and sat up.

Aolan squatted beside her and brushed the wet hair from her eyes.

"Where are we?" She asked coughing sand and salt.

"We are on the desert side of Kulun. The opposite shore from the temple," Aolan watched the sunrise over the black dunes.

"How far?" Crystal watched Aolan.

"Not very, but the desert terrain is very rough," Aolan looked down at Crystal the sun reflecting in his blue eyes.

"At least we weren't separated," Crystal gazed up at him still brushing the sand from her face.

"We are lucky," Aolan took Crystal's hand and helped her to stand.

Crystal looked down at the soaked, torn gown, "Your mother's gown! I'm so sorry!"

"It's just a dress. You are wearing the under dress. Remove the gown. It will get extremely hot very quickly."

Crystal obeyed as Aolan slipped off the robe. Crystal was just wearing the dirty white under dress. They both tossed the tattered cloth to the ground.

"We better move quickly," Aolan took Crystal's hand. He noticed Crystal's bare feet. "The sand will burn your feet. Please, let me carry you on my back."

"Alright," Crystal agreed.

Aolan got on all fours and Crystal sat on his back. They began to travel across the dark sand. The sun beat hard on them.

"Aolan, is something wrong?" Crystal asked stroking his soft fur.

"There is something about Kojo. He was there with us yet he did not fall overboard." Aolan said as he trudged along the desert.

"And the day I arrived what was he doing that he just happened to be walking by that pub?" Crystal questioned.

Aolan stopped walking and looked over his shoulder at Crystal., "What pub? Didn't you come to the palace."

Crystal tilted her head in bewilderment, "No. I entered a pub and he saved me from some men."

"He told me differently. He said you came to the palace but he was too late to wake me." Aolan started to walk again, "I shouldn't of known better."

"When I was taken by the Butelles, I could have sworn I saw Kojo was wide awake." Crystal began to think about his amber eyes.

"Something is not right," Aolan continued his steady pace.

When they were walking, they were so busy trying to figure out Kojo they did not notice the creature beneath the sand stalking them. The sand rippled as the creature followed them.

"Kojo's healing powers are very peculiar."

"Aolan, what are we saying? Kojo is our friend!" Crystal shouted.

"You're right."

The sand beast came out from under the sands. It was over fifteen feet tall and fifty feet long. It was worm-like. It had no eyes, just a really large circular mouth that had sharp teeth. It was as black as the sand. Aolan and Crystal had no weapons. Aolan stood up on his hind legs after Crystal had stood.

Aolan pushed Crystal away, "I'll distract him. Go to the temple!"

"Never!" Crystal grabbed Aolan's hand, "We're going together!"

The creature moaned like a beached whale. The sound was deafening.

"Alright," Aolan held her hand firmly, "On 3, run towards the sun. 1... 2... 3!"

They both sprinted in the sand trying to escape the beast. Crystal stumbled in the sand slipping in the steep dune sand.

"Stay down! We can't outrun it!" Aolan sat down beside her, "Don't move. It follows the vibrations in the sand."

The sandworm stopped and moaned once again.

"Are you sure?" Crystal whispered.

"No," Aolan stood, "Follow the sun. You'll see the temple."

"What are you talking about? You wouldn't."

"Don't worry about me," Aolan darted off on all fours and the sandworm followed.

"But you promised!" She shouted after him as she begun heading towards the sun.

Only moments after, Crystal heard Aolan's growls and then shouts of pain. She turned back to where the screams were.

"Aolan!" Crystal ran back towards Aolan.

She slipped in the sand in a state of panic. She scrambled back to her feet.

She reached the monster to find the ground covered in red blood. She couldn't tell whether the blood was the monsters' or Aolan's. Kojo stood firm with his golden sword in the gut of the sandworm. Aolan was nowhere in sight. Kojo pulled his sword from the sandworm and it collapsed with a resounding thud. The sand vibrated beneath them.

Kojo's eyes were glowing golden, "Go to the temple."

"But Aolan!" Crystal shouted.

"He's gone. It is too late." Kojo said without emotion.

"No! I won't accept that!" Crystal continued to shout outraged.

"Forget him. We must get to the temple." Kojo took her hand roughly.

"Kojo! We can still save him!" She yanked her hand back.

"No! We must hurry!" Kojo shouted back at Crystal.

"No," she whispered, "He promised."

"He's dead. I am your protector, now." Kojo said unemotionally.

"How can you say that? He was your emperor... your friend!" Crystal yelled full of anger at Kojo.

"What's done is done. Let us go," Kojo begun to walk away his blue kimono flapping in the sudden breeze.

"We can't just leave him in the belly of that thing! He doesn't deserve to die like that!" Crystal jogged after Kojo.

"Why?" Kojo turned his eyes still menacing, "He's just a monster."

Crystal backed away. Kojo glared at her as she realized just how cruel she had been. If only, if only it was different.

"He's not a monster." She stated firmly.

"We will come back for him. Right now, we must go before more sandworms come."

"Fine," Crystal followed Kojo.

She looked back several times, tears misting her eyes. Kojo pulled her along the desert.

"You can't go back."

"Fine," Tears streamed down Crystal's cheeks.

"I didn't think you'd cry for that beast."

"Wasn't he your friend?"

"No, my emperor, maybe, but my friend, no." Kojo continued walking.

The dunes became less steep and smaller. Their footprints were whisked away with the wind. Soon, she couldn't even see the huge sandworm. Then she could see a shimmering golden light, the temple.