Fan Fiction ❯ For One To Trust ❯ Chapter Eight: Golden Light ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
For One To Trust
By Kimberly Lucker
All characters and parts of this story are original so don't take them!

Chapter 8: Golden Light

Kojo and Crystal walked up to the temple. It was made completely of gold. There were tons of steps leading up to an entrance a hundred feet up. Crystal looked up overwhelmed. She then looked at her blistered and burning feet.

A metal temple in the middle of a desert looked awfully suspicious. It looked scolding hot. Kojo began to make his way up the steps but Crystal stood still.

Kojo looked back, "Come."

"But my feet!" Crystal stepped cautiously onto the temple step. She was surprised to find the gold cool. It felt so good on her burned soles.

'This is not time to think about how good this feels. I have to meet Corton to revive Aolan.' she thought as she walked up the steps behind Kojo.

"Are you ready?" Kojo turned as they reached the top step.

"Yes. I have to go alone, right?"

"Technically speaking, yes. But I am to escort you." Kojo bowed to her and extended his arm to the door, "After you."

Crystal entered the temple. There were torches with golden flame lining the golden walls. In the center was a golden statue of Corton on his throne. He was human-like with long hair and wore a kimono, styled like Kojo's. Crystal was overwhelmed by the vast space of the room.

The temple felt cool and the silence was eerie.

Crystal walked towards the statue, "What now?"

"Touch the statue," Kojo ordered.

Crystal turned flinging her brunette hair, "Why?"

"You must," Kojo took her wrist and tried to drag her to the statue.

Crystal yanked her hand away, "No!"

"You will," Kojo's eyes begun to glow gold.

"Tell me why, Kojo!"

"Corton will only come when you place your hand on that statue!"

"Then why are you trying to force me?"

Kojo grabbed both of her wrists tightly, "You've been spoiled and still you will not do one thing for me!"

"Kojo, you're hurting me!" Crystal struggled against his grasp.

"You're making me do this. If you would only listen and trust me!" He dragged her to the statue.

"Stop, Kojo! It hurts!" Crystal continued to struggle to pull free.

"Stop struggling!" Kojo let go of one wrist to slap her across the face and then he grabbed her wrist again. There was a red mark on her face.

Just as her hand was inches from the statue, a loud voice called from the entrance, "Release her!"

Crystal immediately recognized that voice, "Aolan?"

"I thought I got rid of you! How could you get here so quickly?" Kojo glared at Aolan.

"This monstrous body of mine gives me the ability to smell very well. Even though I was in the middle of the desert, I could smell your treacherous stench!" Aolan ran up to Kojo and knocked him away from Crystal, "Don't you ever hurt her!"

"I… I thought you were dead." A tear of relief rolled down her cheek.

"That's what he wanted you to think," Aolan glared at Kojo who cautiously stood up.

"Why, Kojo?" Crystal rubbed her sore red wrists.

"If you thought he was dead, then you'd would want to see Lord Corton so he could revive Aolan."

"Crystal, are you alright?" Aolan took the back of his paw and rubbed it against her red cheek.

"Um, yes. Kojo, why did you think you had to do that?" Crystal asked Kojo calmly.

"At first, you wanted to see Corton to go home but then you had no reason to see him. I had to give you a reason."

"Kojo, explain!" Aolan roared.

"I will, once she touches the statue," Kojo's eyes were still a golden color.

"You will, now!" Aolan started to growl.

"I trust him," Crystal reached her hand out for the statue.

"Wait, Crystal." Aolan held her hand gently in his paw, "Speak, Kojo."

"Fine. If Crystal touches the statue, Lord Corton, who is trapped within the statue will be revived. He had me bring you here so you could help him. First he wanted me to test you to make sure you are the one." Kojo started to explain," Lord Corton has been trapped in the statue for fifteen years. The world has gone into chaos since that day. You are the one to save him, Crystal. You are the only one who can."

"How was he trapped?" Crystal asked innocently.

"The technology war." Kojo answered.

"Why me, Kojo?" Crystal was still confused.

"Because you are the one. I know nothing more." Kojo's eyes returned to amber, "I am only a servant to Lord Corton."

Aolan released Crystal's hand, "Nothing will happen to Crystal, right?"

"If something was to happen, do you care?" Kojo questioned Aolan.

"Of course!" Aolan looked at Crystal lovingly.

"Even if it meant you'd never be human again and your empire would perish," Kojo said very seriously.

"She's more important to me that all of those things," Aolan said looking back to Kojo.

"Then nothing will happen to her," Kojo said.

"If anything happens to her, so help me, I will kill you." Aolan glared at Kojo and emitted a low growl.

Crystal placed her hand gently on the statue. A blinding golden light shined throughout the temple. When the light cleared, the statue was no longer golden, it was a human on the golden throne.

He had shoulder-length golden hair and eyes of gold. He wore a golden kimono. He had an unearthly glow of golden light from him.

"You are the one," The man, Corton, said, "I knew it had to be you."

"What do you mean?" Crystal asked.

"I will explain after I rest." He sat back on the throne.

Crystal felt a hand rest on her shoulder. She turned to find the silver haired man from her dream right beside her. He was in a long silver robe and his hair flowed freely. She looked into his soft blue eyes and knew it was him.

"Aolan?" She whispered softly.

"Yes?" He smiled his white teeth shinning.

"You changed." She looked back up at the six-foot tall man.

"No I didn't. I just no longer look like a monstrous beast." Aolan continued to smile sweetly at Crystal.

"You're him." She said firmly.

"I'm who?" Aolan asked.

"The one from my dream."

"You dreamt about me?" Aolan's smile changed to a smirk.

Corton cleared his throat and Crystal turned to him. Kojo was kneeling before Corton.

"Kojo, thank you for your loyalty." Corton's loud booming voice filled the vast room.

"Can you explain, now?" Crystal asked.

"Yes, of course. You, my dear, are the descendant of our only other visitor from the land you call Terra or Earth. Because of the technology boom, she was pulled into our world. I had Kojo take you on the same journey she had taken many years before. You have some of my blood in you and that is why you could break the seal on the statue." Corton explained.

"Are you saying, I have a gods' blood in me?"

"Yes. I feel in love with that visitor from Terra. She had to return to Terra, where she had a daughter, my daughter, Aria."

"My mother!" Crystal said surprised to hear her mother's name.

"Yes, you are my granddaughter. You have freed me from my prison."

"But how did you get trapped?"

"Because of the war between the people over technology, I had to get rid of all the weapons to save their lives. In order to pull of a task like that, I had to sacrifice myself. Because of my sacrifice fifteen years ago, the world slowly started to crumble without its' god."

"So how did I get here?"

"I brought you here." Kojo spoke up, "Lord Corton gave me power when I became his guardian. Before he enclosed himself within the statue, he told me to find his granddaughter from Terra."

"Kojo is my guardian, he has been for hundreds of years. He brought your grandmother, Anna, here when I heard about her being pulled into this world from Terra. Just as I told him to bring you here to free me."

"The war trapped you and it killed my parents." Aolan stated solemnly.

"Everything shall return to the way it was before the war," Corton said.

"Except for the people who have died," Kojo added.

"Does that mean I can go home?" Crystal asked.

"If that is what you wish." Corton looked at her quizzically.

Crystal turned to Aolan, " Thank you for everything, Aolan."

"You don't have to go," Aolan's blue eyes sparkled.

"You don't need me to save your empire anymore."

"Crystal, you still don't get it! I never needed you to do that. I didn't want you because of that!"

"Then you do love me." Crystal smiled at Aolan.

"Yes!" He said loudly.

"Do you wish to go, Crystal?" Corton interrupted.

"There is room for you in my palace, if you wish to stay." Aolan added.

"Um…" Crystal looked around thinking.

Crystal looked at the dashing young emperor who smiled endearingly at her. She knew she had to make a decision. Aolan had no reason to want her to stay except that he must love her. Crystal smiled.

"I guess I'll stay," Crystal turned to Corton, "Is that alright?"

"Yes, you are welcome to stay. But if you ever change your mind, I will be here."

"First, why did my grandmother leave?"

"She became ill with a illness I could not help her with. If she stayed, she would of died along with Aria who was within her womb. She did not return because she felt she had to raise Aria on Terra, but I did bring her back for visits." Corton explained.

"Aolan, I've been so cruel to you. Why do you…"

"Crystal, how must I make it so you can understand my undying love for you? I didn't want you because I wanted to save my empire or myself. I want you because I love you."

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just hard for me to believe. I get pulled into a world of paintings and find someone to trust." Crystal apologized.

"Paintings! You have Anna's paintings?"

"My grandmother painted them?"

"Kojo, go get Crystal's things. She is going to stay here." Corton ordered and Kojo disappeared.

"Aolan, I'm sorry." Crystal started to apologize again.

"It doesn't matter, now," Aolan took her hands into his soft strong hands, "As long as you stay and promise not to leave me."

"I'll never leave you. I…" Crystal finally got up the courage to trust, "love you."