Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Unexpected Pregnancy ❯ Guess Who's Back! ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was Alex's first day of school, and Harry was nervous. She had been to public schools since she was five, but this was the first time that she would be away from home for so long. Alex, however, was not worried. She knew that, whatever happened, something good would come out of this.

Alex hung on to her Mummy's hand, desperate for any last contact with him before she was to leave, but all too soon the train was about to go and she had to leave. Waving out the window, Alex watched as her previous life disappeared behind her. Nothing would ever be the same again.

Knowing that she could not stay where she was forever, and not really one to dwell too much on the past, Alex made her way towards the back of the train to find a seat. Most of the carriages were full of busy, happy children. They all seemed to have made their own friendships and Alex felt a pang of jealousy, something that she inherited from her father, as she had never really had a friend. She didn't really talk much, so other children tended to leave her alone.

At last, she came to the final carriage. It was already half full and she sighed, it wasn't going to be a quiet train ride, but perhaps it would be enjoyable anyway. She pushed the door to the carriage and stepped inside; "Excuse me, do you mind if I sit here?" She had always been taught that being polite generally got you what you wanted. Of course, these were whole new people so it could be different. The children stopped talking and stared. A deathly silence followed, broken by nothing but their slight breathing and the noises from the other carriages.

"Aren't you a bit young to be going to Hogwarts?" One of the girls sneered at her, receiving a clout around the head from the girl next to her. The two looked quite similar, both having very long blonde hair and pale faces. The second girl, who looked to be a year or two older than the first, smiled kindly at Alex.

"Hi there, my name's Tanya, and this is my younger sister Tiffany. Come on, don't stand in the doorway, sit down. What's your name?" Tanya seemed quite nice and there were quite a few smiling, happy faces, so Alex moved to sit in one of the empty seats quite near to the door.

"I'm Alexandria, but everyone calls me Alex." She smiled; a genuine, beautiful smile that lit her face up. Tiffany snorted.

"Alex, that's a boy's name!" This comment got her another clip around the ear from her sister and another girl giggled. Suddenly, Alex didn't feel all that welcome. These people around her were so much bigger, and probably older than she was. They went back to their conversations, shutting Alex out once more.

It was a very long train ride. No one else bothered speaking to Alex, so Alex didn't bother speaking to them. In listening to what they were saying, she realised that they were all older than she was, and talking about things she barely understood. She knew plenty about Quidditch and mythical creatures, along with some Defence against the Dark Arts, Potions and some small spells, but nothing more than that.

They finally got to Hogwarts. There were quite a few first years, Alex thought, and they all looked as nervous as she felt. A boy standing next to her leaned over and whispered in her ear. "Hullo, my name's Jason Longbottom, who are you?" Alex turned to look at the boy; he was quite tall with fair hair and a slim face. A light dusting of freckles gave him character and a small dimple appeared in his right cheek when he smiled at her. Alex smiled back; glad to have finally met someone who was nice enough to give her the time of day.

"Hi there, my name's Alex. Alex Potter." The entire of the first years fell silent and turned to look at her, some craning their necks to see the fabled daughter of Harry Potter. The questions came thick and fast from all sides. Alex tried to shy away from their probing eyes and questions. It was only the intervention of Hagrid that spared Alex from bursting into tears. Jason could see this and took her hand in his as they walked towards the boats.

"Let's be friends." Jason smiled at her, Alex smiled back. She nodded her head at him; it was nice to have a friend.

The sorting was over quickly, it seemed. Alex ended up in Griffindor with Jason, Jade Patil, Faye Wong, Hikaru Utadu, Maria Gluxa, Shane Finnigan, Jordan Smith and the twins, Kristen and Christopher Zabini. Alex, at the time, couldn't understand why the twins had been given funny looks when they had been placed in Griffindor.

The school was just settling down to eat when the doors to the great hall burst open. There, leaning against the doorframe, was none other than Draco Malfoy. He was soaking wet, his clothes were torn and blood dripped from numerous injuries on his person. He looked a mess, staring up at the teachers at the head table, pleading for help with his eyes. No one moved, they were all too shocked. Draco, unable to support his own weight any longer, collapsed on the floor.

A/N: Don't ask about the names.