Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Sawyer - A Disturbed Mind 2 ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2

When my eyes first fluttered open the next morning, the first thing that registered in my mind was the soft warmth resting against my side. Barely shifting, I looked down to find the Princess nestling her head into the crook of my shoulder. Apparently she was just on the verge of waking up too.

Her whole body was pressed along the length of my side and she looked as if she had no intention of moving until she had to. She reminded me of a sleeping kitten. Her hand grabbed a fistful of my trench coat and she turned over, remaining pressed against me but taking most of my coat. The cold morning air stung my skin.

Since I was now thoroughly awake, I sat up, easing my shoulder out from under her head. Her brow furrowed in almost feline dislike at this turn of events and she pouted slightly.

Cute…

She reminded me still more of a sleeping cat. She curled up into a ball under both her blanket and my coat, trying to find a soft place for her head. I could see that she was missing her makeshift pillow, i.e. my shoulder. She growled softly like a disgruntled kitten.

Very cute…

Rolling my eyes, I tried to reclaim my coat without waking her, or at least waking her as gently as possible. Hopefully there would be no damage to my coat. Since she had both hands wrapped up in the fabric of the lining, this was going to be difficult. She might be small, but her grip looked strong.

I started with her left hand, as it was most easily accessible. Her left hand was clamped over her head and her right hand held my coat wrapped tightly around her small body in a surprisingly strong grip. Gently, I took hold of her left hand and began to tease her fingers loose from the lining near the neckline of my coat.

I grinned as I almost had it loose. The grin was short-lived, however, as she snatched the coat back and turned over again, wrapping it tighter around her. I smacked a hand to my forehead in disgust. How could she possibly sleep so soundly and still manage to infuriate me this early in the morning? I got my answer when she let her guard down and started giggling softly. She had been doing it on purpose.

My mood soured further and I snatched up my coat, bringing her back to reality. She brought with her an earsplitting shriek as the cold morning air that had jolted me awake touched her skin. Lavender eyes narrowed as she gave me what she obviously thought was a threatening glare. She looked like a little kitten who had just lost her warm spot on the bed and was pouting about it. I raised one eyebrow at her and her glare turned into a wide-eyed stare, full of fear.

I cursed myself for scaring her so badly.

Dammit… I only meant to wipe that glare off her face, not scare her witless…

I felt my mood soften a bit and I settled myself beside her. I still couldn’t let her get away with tricking me so early in the morning. Casually, I slipped one arm around her shoulders, my grip making it clear that she wasn’t going anywhere until she answered some questions. Her eyes filled with tears.

Again, I cursed myself for scaring her. I had only meant it playfully. I smiled mischievously and resumed my mock-anger.

“How long have you been awake?”

She sputtered incoherently for a second before coming up with a weak “I don’t know”. A single tear ran down her cheek and she stifled a frightened sob.

“Did you know that your little game with my coat was positively infuriating?”

I narrowed my eyes at her. She gave a frightened squeak and hid her face behind her hands, looking straight down.

I tilted my head curiously at her. What was she so afraid of? Could it really have been me? What about me scared her? I had never been one to avoid the point.

I guided her hands down from her face and asked her outright:

“Are you scared of me?”

She didn’t answer, just gave another soft squeak as she continued to look straight down, shuddering. Gently, I bent my fingers under her chin, tilting her face up so that I could look her in the eye. Another tear coursed down her cheek. This time, I raised a hand to her face, catching the tiny drop and wiping it away.

I asked again, softer this time: “Are you scared of me?”

At least she was honest. She stared up at me, her eyes still full of tears and one tear streak clearly visible on her face.

“A little…”

I knew I had been trying to be intimidating, but it was only meant in play. She had warmed up to me before and I didn’t understand why she was scared again now. I lowered my face to hers a bit.

“Why?”

When she answered, her breath tickled my lower lip. It was all I could do to keep from dropping my act and grinning like an idiot at her.

“Because I’m scared of the way you look at me. You looked angry,” her whispering voice broke off. Her lip trembled for a second. “I’m sorry… I was only playing…”

Tears began to run down her cheeks. She was crying so hard she was shaking, but still she made no sound. Tiny drops of what seemed like liquid crystal made dark spots on the stone floor of the cave, sparkling in the soft dawn sunbeams as they fell.

After one soft gasp, she began to sob, burying her face in my shoulder. I could feel her tears soaking into my shirt.

“Sawyer, please don’t be angry at me…”

My stern façade softened and, slowly, I wrapped my arms around her.

“I wasn’t angry to start with, I promise… I saw you playing your little game and it just frustrated me, that’s all.”

She continued to cry.

I rocked her back and forth like a child, shushing her and telling her everything was alright, that I couldn’t be angry with her. Still, she continued. Finally I pulled her away from my shoulder so I could look her in the eyes. She blinked tearfully at me.

“Princess, calm down… I’m not angry at you.”

Watery lavender eyes lit up and she smiled, hiccupping again.

“I’m glad,” she whispered, before settling comfortably in my arms, cuddling against my chest.

I felt something I had didn’t remember ever having felt before: a fondness for another human that wasn’t love, but was closer than friendship. I felt like this girl was my family, like my sister. But I was still confused.