Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Sawyer - A Disturbed Mind : Interlude 1 ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Interlude 1

I had sat there all night with the tiny girl’s pale, lifeless form in my arms. The sun was just barely coming up. I wished it wouldn’t. I didn’t want to have to face a new day without her. I had long since ceased my tears, but I could still feel them on my face, mixing with the traces of her blood that remained. Moving slowly, as if in a dream, I was continually stroking the tips of my fingers up and down her throat; I was afraid to let her go. It would be like losing her again.

The look in her eyes as she let out her very last breath would haunt me forever. Her gaze had been numbed with pain as she stared up at me, still not quite believing what had happened. But she had been smiling as if she couldn’t feel her heart slowing down.

I would forever feel her last kiss on my lips. It had been soft, tender, like she wasn’t aware of the life slowly draining from her body.

In a quiet moment, I would always revisit her last moments and hear her last words.

“Even now… I love you…”

Then I saw her beautiful cinnamon-brown eyes close forever. The sight of her drawing her last breath would always plague my mind.

Lily… What have I done?