Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Terran - A Love Found : Interlude ( Chapter 40 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Interlude

It was a clear night, a very pretty night, with moonlight making the icicles hanging off the trees sparkle. My brother, my best friend, had told me to meet him when the moon was at its brightest, so I stood there in the snow, waiting. The night was for the most part silent, except for the occasional snapping of branches from deep in the forest.

I was eleven years old. My brother was nineteen.

Finally, I heard something behind me. I turned around to see Koura standing halfway in the shadow of a large boulder. I was about to say something when it hit me: Koura was bleeding badly. He looked like he should be dead, considering the condition he was in. My words died in my throat and I just choked.

After several strangled attempts and false starts, I managed to get my voice to work.

“Koura! What happened?”

I heard an unfamiliar voice say “Go on, get it over with.” It sounded menacing. It barely registered with me that the voice was female.

Koura stepped out of the shadow. I was horrified. There was blood all over him and he appeared to be trying to hold a gaping wound in his side closed. His dark purple hair, which fell just to his shoulders, was soaked with blood and a few strings fell over his face, making it impossible to tell how badly his face was wounded. His shirt was torn open in the front, revealing what seemed to be four long claw marks spanning the width of his chest and a deep stab wound near his shoulder. Worst of all, to my eyes, was the open slash wound on the side of his throat.

How is he still standing?

I finally got a good look at his face. Once I had, I wished I hadn’t. Instead of being contorted in pain, all I could see was grief. It was so much worse. At least if he was in pain, it would stop soon as his body became numb in shock. Sorrow and emotional pain were all too obvious in his dark green eyes. He took a few shaking steps towards me. With each step, he left red stains in the snow.

I had tears in my eyes as I ran to my brother. My best friend. The only family I had in the world.

“Terran,” he said weakly. “Brother… Don’t do this… I’ll be fine…”

He coughed hard and fell to his knees. Blood dripped down onto the snow, staining it red and making me want to throw up. I knelt beside him and pushed the bloody strands of hair off his face. He winced as I accidentally brushed the thin slash running diagonally across his eye and down his left cheek, stopping at the curve of his jaw. I couldn’t stand seeing my brother like this. He had always been so strong and it was killing me to see him here, wounded and helpless.

Why would anyone want to do this to him?

-If only I had known I was being led straight into a trap…-

“No… Koura, you need help! What do you mean ‘Don’t do this’? I’m not just going to leave you here to die!”

“It would -” he coughed and blood spattered my shirt. “– be better… if you did…”

“I won’t leave you here! Come on, grab my hand and I’ll get you out of here…”

“Terran… if you know what’s good for you,” he whispered, blood still streaming from his mouth, dripping from his lips to the snowy ground. “You’ll leave me now… Please, my brother… I’ll die anyway…”

Carefully, I pulled his arm over my shoulder and helped him up. His head dropped forward onto his chest. He sounded like he was having trouble breathing. There was probably too much blood in his throat, possibly in his lungs. If that was the case, I would just have to stay here in the snow with him for a little while longer. I would just have to watch my brother die.

“Koura, you’ve lost too much blood… You’re talking crazy. You’re my brother and there’s no way I’m going to leave you!”

“Then,” he whispered, his voice rasping. “I have no choice, Terran… I have to say good bye here…”

He pulled a knife from a leather sheath at his hip. I was stunned and tears ran down my face. I thought he was going to put himself out of his misery, because he slipped his arm off my shoulder and turned away. Two choices: One, I could stay with him and watch him die quickly and for the most part painlessly. Two, I could stop him and then just sit with him as I watched him fade slowly and die in agony. I took a step back, tripped over a rock and fell down in the snow.

I stayed where I fell, too shocked to get up. I felt him fall back down on his knees beside me, looking down at me. I looked up at him sadly. He had tears in his eyes.

I had never seen my brother cry. It scared me so badly when a teardrop stained red with the blood on his face hit my cheek.

“Close your eyes, Terran,” he said, his voice choked with emotion, his face streaming with tears and his own blood. “I don’t want you to see this.”

There was no way I could get up and stop him now. I felt paralyzed by fear, grief and the knowledge that I couldn’t save him either way. There was nothing I could do for him now but stay with him. At least this way he wouldn’t be suffering for long…

But I would. I felt my heart being ripped to shreds and I felt like it would never be alright again. It was all I could do just to say my brother’s name.

“Koura…”

I hid my eyes behind my wrist, crying silently, and felt him touch my forehead gently, ruffling my hair. When I was younger, he always used to push my hair off my forehead before I went to sleep. It always tickled and he said I would go to sleep smiling. Now the gesture made my whole body shake and brought more tears to my eyes as his hand left blood on my forehead.

“Why, Koura? Why?”

“I’m so sorry, my brother,” he whispered, his voice hoarse. I couldn’t tell if it was from the blood in his throat or the pain in his heart. “Forgive me…”

“Good-bye Koura…”

“Good-bye Terran.”

I steeled myself for my brother’s death.

I never felt the blade that pierced my own heart.