Fan Fiction ❯ Illusia ❯ Koura - A Lonely One : Interlude 1 ( Chapter 47 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Interlude 1

It was around sunset when the knock came at the door. Terran wasn’t around, so I went to get it myself. As I reached for the doorknob, I suddenly felt very cold. Shaking the feeling off, I turned the knob and found myself face to face with the person I had least wanted to find on the other side of the door.

The tiny girl looked up at me. Icy blue eyes blinked up at me from a pale, expressionless face. A thin braid seemed to frame her face, alongside her left temple. A little blue feather decorated the end of it. The rest of her long, dark blue hair hung down to just below her waist in a thick braid. Her pale skin seemed almost white in contrast to the long blue-black dress that just brushed the backs of her calves. She was truly a beautiful child, but everything about her just seemed so cold.

I tried to at least sound pleasant.

“Hello Taelia.”

She didn’t say anything, just looked up at me and smiled. A chill ran down my spine. I always thought that little girl was strange. She was about Terran’s age, wasn’t she? I thought so, or maybe a little younger; I had seen her hanging around him. He never seemed too thrilled to have her around but I never saw him acting unfriendly towards her. Probably just barely noticed her. He had been getting so distant lately.

Was I like that when I was ten?

“Hello,” she said softly. Her voice had an ice-cold quality to it. She may have been eleven, maybe younger, but she certainly didn’t seem like a child. “Is Terran here?”

It figured. The girl was obviously stuck on him. No wonder he didn’t pay much attention. He most likely was hoping she would just go away. Either she didn’t get the message or she was just stubborn. If the latter was the case, she had one hell of a battle ahead of her; Terran had the thickest skull I had ever come across.

“He’s not around right now, I’m sorry. I’m not quite sure where he is.”

Her smile disappeared. The young girl’s face held a cold look, the kind of look that could freeze water in hell. Those ice-like eyes stared up at me, not blinking.

“Good,” she said quietly, her voice still ice cold and deadly quiet. This kid was starting to scare me.

“Taelia, is something wrong?”

Her face lit up in an absolutely evil smile. Those cold blue eyes took on a sort of icy fire, continuing to stare at me. When she was smiling, I figured her age was probably around ten. Ok, this was just getting weird. She was either crazy or she was on something.

“No, nothing’s wrong,” she said, that cold voice taking on a sickening sweetness. “In fact, I’m glad I caught you alone.”

Alright, this was just getting too strange. This kid was nuts. No need to bother being patient with her anymore.

“What for?”

“Because this makes it easier for me,” she said sweetly, bringing her hands together in front of her, fingertips barely touching.

“What are you talking about?”

She didn’t answer. Slowly, she pulled her hands apart. Once they were about at shoulder width, she curled them into fists. I had no clue what this kid thought she was doing, but sure as hell I knew it was nothing good. I was about to put my hand on her shoulder and try to talk some sense into her when I felt four very sharp points tearing across my chest.

“Agh! What the ---?”

Without warning, a slight weight crashed full force into my abdomen, taking me by surprise and knocking the air out of me. Doubled over and trying to catch my breath, I barely felt the blow to the back of my neck that sent me sprawling forward onto the wooden floor. I hit my head on something; I still have no clue what it was. Dazed and having a hard time breathing, I looked up at the dark shape in front of me for a few seconds before everything went dark.

When my eyes fluttered open again, all I could see was white. I shook my head and tried to stand. Something slammed into my shoulder and knocked me over sideways. The cold, wet sensation that met my face as I fell told me that, wherever I was, it was snowing. I heard a young girl’s laughter and opened my eyes again. By reflex, my hand gripped my shoulder, trying to do something about the pain. There was Taelia, standing in front of me and laughing.

“Taelia!? What the f*ck!?”

The girl giggled, a high-pitched evil-sounding little laugh. Her cold blue eyes were alight with malice.

“Should you really be using that kind of language around an impressionable young girl?” she asked mockingly.

“What in the h*ll is going on!? Where are we and why are we here!?”

“Be patient, would you!?” she snapped childishly. “I haven’t started explaining it yet!”

I was about to get up and try to do something about her when I got a look at her hands. What seemed to be six-inch-long metal claws extended from her fingertips; blood dripped from the tips. I looked down at my chest to see my blood-stained shirt, torn open to reveal four long, thin scratch marks. They were still bleeding badly. I could see my own blood staining the snow red. Now, I was starting to see red. My voice came out as a threatening growl.

“Look, I don’t know what the f*ck you think you’re doing, but you are at least going to tell me why you’re doing this.”

She looked down at her fingernails, turning her hand so that they sparkled in the twilight. I managed to push myself to my knees, trying not to stretch the scratches. They were most likely quite deep and didn’t need to be disturbed. Not to mention I had other wounds, all up and down my arms and on my face. The thin, pale girl dropped down on one knee in front of me, a little smile on her face. Slowly, she drew one of those long, claw-like fingernails lightly along the front of my throat. It felt like cold metal and I shuddered as the point pressed up gently under my chin, making me tilt my head back.

“I’ll tell you as we go, alright?” she asked sweetly.