Fan Fiction ❯ My Immortal ❯ One Step Closer ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One Step Closer (A Kairi- POV songfic by Rei)

Author's Notes: Uh.. This is a Kairi point of view story to accompany 'My Immortal' which was Riku POV. I suppose I'll have to do a Sora one, too.. I just heard this song 'One Step Closer' by Linkin Park on the radio for the 5346459th time and decided it summed how Kairi felt towards Riku up pretty well. So .. here it is.. Kairi angst and hatred.. (*Sign reads Applause*)

~I cannot take this anymore..~

Riku. I *hate* Riku!

~I'm saying everything I've said before..~

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

"I *hate* Riku*!" I vehemently bite out, although not too loudly because I am sitting behind a tree secretly watching my Sora and his admirer sitting by the fire on the beach.

I bring my fist down on a nearby rock with a sickening crack, whether the rock or my hand is broken I'm not sure.

~All these words they make no sense..~

I'm so *tired* of him! Everything about him! Sure, at one time I was his friend, but then he started trying to steal *my* Sora. Mine!

~I find bliss in ignorance..~

And of course, Sora doesn't even realize it. Sora is an idiot. But I love him for it!

~Less I hear the less you'll say..~

Riku seems to be staring off into space while Sora is chattering on about something. I wonder what he's thinking about. Most likely Sora..

He doesn't even realize the hatred I have for him. I guess he might realize I dislike him, but dislike is such a mild term for what I feel for him. He's.. he's.. I hate him!

And, he continues to be friendly towards me, too, but only when Sora's near. He'll smile and be polite, "How are you doing today, Kairi?" How am I? I'm drowning in a pool of hatred and angst! But I'll be fine once I *strangle* you, you fucker..

~But you'll find out anyway..~

Oh, what? Innocent Kairi can't use *bad* words? I'm sure sweet little Riku spews them all over the place when he thinks no one's listening..

~Just like before..~

I wish he would just.. go away. Far away! Away from me and Sora..

~Everything you say to me..~

Everything he says to me..

~Takes me one step closer to the edge..~

Every caring smile and every playful smirk..

~And I'm about to break..~

Every tear he sheds and every sympathetic tone he takes..

~I need a little room to breathe..~

Every admiring glance he steals and every hand he extends..

~Cause I'm one step closer to the edge..~

Every apology he mutters and every *fucking* move he makes..

~I'm about to BREAK.~

He expected me to accept him back just like Sora did. Little naive Sora, my little trusting Sora. Will he ever learn? Riku tried to *kill* him and he still accepts him.

~I find the answers aren't so clear..~

I don't get it. I just don't get it. Sora should hate that back-stabbing *bastard* as much as I do..

~Wish I could find a way to disappear..~

Sora's standing in front of Riku now, I guess I missed something. He looks sad. What did Riku do to him?

~All these thoughts they make no sense..~

Oh, but Riku flashes him one of those smiles and Sora just smiles back. Sora doesn't realize what his smiles do to that bastard, they make his heart flutter and jump. Little oblivious Sora..

Why doesn't he just give it up? Sora loves *me*. Not only because it's *right* but because we're.. soul-mates. How else could I have found him at such a young age? He and Riku were *born* on the same island, but I was brought here.

~I find bliss in ignorance..~

Maybe not thinking about Riku is better. Maybe not knowing what goes on in that sick mind is alright, because nothing could take my Sora away from me.

~Nothing seems to go away, over and over again, just like before..~

But even as I assure myself, I find the same doubts reeling through my head over and over again, like a broken slideshow..

~Everything you say to me..~

Like, what if Sora is using me for a source of comfort? Now that Riku.. broke his heart by betraying him? What if, he doesn't really love me? What if..

~Takes me one step closer to the edge..~

What if.

~And I'm about to break.~

I love you, Sora. Don't ever leave me.

~I need a little room to breathe~

Riku will never have you. We'll go away together, escape from Riku.

~Cause I'm one step closer to the edge..~

Because if he looks at you with those love-heavy eyes..

~And I'm about to break..~

One more time..

~Everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge..~

I don't think I'll be able to stop myself.

~And I'm about to break.~

Sora continues to smile and sits next to Riku.

Okay, so maybe I'm jealous. Yes I'm jealous. Jealous of what you two have, You get along so well.. you don't even have to try.

~I need a little room to breathe, I'm one step closer to the edge and I'm about to break.~

I hurry over to you two to stop things from getting too involved, and slip my arm around Sora's waist to remind Riku who's who's.

But that doesn't mean I won't try. I'll *keep* trying, because I've already claimed Sora as mine.

~BREAK.~

And you can't have him.

~Shut up when I'm talking to you.~

Riku stands up with a forlorn look on his face.

If you would just be less oblivious maybe you could see that Sora doesn't love you at all.

~Shut up, Shutup, Shutup.~

Not at all.

"It's late. I should get some sleep."

~Shut up when I'm talking to you..~

And if you would just *listen* to me and Sora..

"But.. Riku.."

~Shut up, shutup.. SHUT UP!~

And if you'd shut your damn affections away..

"Already, Riku? Well, ok. Goodnight." I say.

~I'm about to break.~

Maybe you'd be happier.

Riku turns and walks off, his silver hair shimmering for a second in the moonlight.

~Everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break.~

Sora moves out of my grasp and runs a few steps after him. He turns to me and smiles.

"Wait here. I'll be back."

Why? Why does he care so much?

~I need a little room to breath, cause I'm one step closer to the edge and I'm about to break.~

I sit on the lonely log, watching the fire slowly burn in front of me. Wrapping my arms around myself, I bring my feet up to rest crossed in front of me on the log.

Sora.. I've waited for you long enough.. I don't want to lose you..

~Everything you say to me.. takes me one step closer to the edge.. and I'm about to break.~

Everytime I have you, he snatches you away again.. Sora.. come back..

~I'm about to break.~

I.. love you, Sora.

~Break.~