Fan Fiction ❯ Omni Per Nox ❯ Tome Two: Malum Praenuntiae ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Ill Tidings

"DUDE! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?!?!" Beast Boy was, as usual, blunt and directly to the point with his reaction to the criminal. The creature looked to be a cross between a rotting, bloated corpse and a gigantic rodent. Either way, it was in the process of stripping the flesh from someone's unfortunate dog with its teeth. The mangled dog was still alive, albeit just barely. This was somthing the Titans didn't notice untill the creature moved to the other side of the animal, and they immediately wished it had not.

The mangled canine was using it's remaining life to struggle to get away. That it could still move at all, even on impulse, was a miracle. It's entire left side had been torn away and the ribcage was exposed completely, desplaying the animal's failing heart, a collapsed lung, multiple shattered ribs, and other internal organs as the animal oozed blood everywhere, forming a large red pool. The creature leaned over the dog, obviously having spotted its movement, and sunk its large teeth into the animal's throat, tearing it out with a shredding, sucking noise followed by a fountain of the remaining blood the heart had power over.

Despite their positions as crime fighters, the Titans had never been faced with such a horrific scene. Robin looked to be in shock as he swayed on the spot, trying to stay upright. Beast Boy turned an even deeper shade of green and proceeded to reverse his digestive system's functions all over the sidewalk. Cyborg froze on the spot, he could have run out of power and it would have made no difference. Starfire, pure and innocent, stared at the dog's torn corpse with tears streaming down her face and an expression that clearly said "how could anything to something like that to another living creature?" Raven was another story entirely. She stared at the creature not in horror, but in morbid fascination. 'I know what that thing is, but how did it get here? It couldn't do the magic itself, but who would want to send it here? Could it be...'

Raven's musings were interrupted as a little girl, no more than six years old, broke from the crowd and ran to the slaughtered pet's side. Oblivious to her surroundings, as only young children can be, and to the monstrosity sniffing the air above her. The child fell to her knees and hugged the dog's head to herself, raining down tears and kisses upon it between sobs for her companion to, "Please get up! Get up and be ok! Please!" It was only then that the girl noticed the hulking menace which had killed the dog.

The very sight of it glaring down at her terrified her so greatly that her tears stopped abruptly as she locked gazes with the thing, then, "MOMMY!!!!" she screamed in absolute horror, using every ounce of oxygen her small lungs could hold.

Her mother, a young woman in her mid twenties, burst from the crowd after her daughter, shouting inarticulately. Her maternal instinct and fear had overridden all rationalle as she screamed and shielded her child from the creature.

The monster was becoming extremely agitated now, it couldn't figure out why all of these humans were making so much noise and interrupting its meal. Deciding it didn't much care, it raised one massive arm to crush the larger being, the smaller being next on the menu, when a lime green orb exploded on the side of its head.

Starfire's starbolt was followed by a barrage of larger ones as she closed the gap between herself and the beast, screaming her fury. Her attack broke the trance which had befallen the others, who all immediately moved to attack.

Robin threw a handfull of low grade explosives just as Cyborg fired his plasma cannon. Raven had already phased throught the ground to reappear by the mother and daughter and constructed a protective dome.

The smoke cleared and showed quite clearly that the creature was totally unharmed, pushed back a good ten meters, but unharmed. "What the hell? That didn't even phaze it! What is that thing," Robin shouted.

"It's a Garou, a lesser demon. It can't be hurt physically, it regenerates too fast. We have to get it back to where it came from, that's the only way to be rid of it!" Raven shouted in reply.

"And just how do we do that?" Exclaimed Cyborg, "Call it a cab?"

"Close," Raven replied, "Somone protect these two, I'll need to use all of my power for this."

Starfire swooped down and gave Raven a shaky smile and said, just as shakily, "Go Raven, get rid of that abomination."

'Why do I have the feeling that this won't end well?' Raven thought as she molded the energy arround the creature, picking up a nearby taxi and breaking it down to use the mettal as a catlyst, sending the beast away. "'This is a bad idea, why bother if we're going to have to push ourself so hard?'" Raven ignored her lazyness and recited, "Portus... ad Azarath... Apperio!" Her normally black aura shifted to white and the creature beganto fade from view.

The Titans breathed a collective sigh of relief. "That was terri-" Starfire was stopped midsentance as the creture lashed out in fury just before it was gone, putting a huge gash in Raven's back. she immediately thought, 'SHIT! THE SPELL!' but she could do no more before she collapsed, having passed out.

___end chapter___

A.N.
Hmm, that chapter didn't come out exaclty the way I had hoped, ah well. Oh, a chibi TT character plushie to the first person to e-mail me with the correct identification of the Garou. The thing wasn't made up by me. (Hint: D&D fans will be at an advantage.) Anyway, the next chapter will be up this weekend some time, so watch for it, and please leave a review while you're here.
Converting /tmp/phpkVF0rA to /dev/stdout