Fan Fiction ❯ We Met in a Dream ❯ Friday, September 15 The waking world ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 10:

(Belldandy is from "Oh, My Goddess." It's not my character.)

The alarm went off. Darien woke up slowly and stopped the alarm. He didn't want to get up. He didn't want to go to school. He knew Otaru would be there. He knew Akito would be there also. He had no idea how Akito would react, but on the other hand he didn't think Akito thought there was anything going on between him and Melissa. He sighed.

Being the good student he was, Darien decided that he'd go to school anyway. He hoped he didn't run into Otaru. He knew Otaru was mad. 'Maybe it was best to avoid him,' Darien thought.

He slowly got out of bed and got ready. He took a few moments before going to breakfast to check the messages on his computer. There was one from Melissa. It read:

Darien, I think I like you. In fact I think I like you a lot. Otaru has become...well, all I can say is that things between us aren't good and I don't think I want to be with him anymore. In a way I hate myself for falling for you, since you are a friend of Otaru's. Well, I think maybe that we should just keep this a secret from him ok? That is not make it too obvious that I like you. I realize that he may already think that, but maybe that'll change. Have a good day at school and don't worry about Otaru, ok?

Darien felt a little better, though now he found himself embarrassed and even scared that someone actually liked him. This wasn't just like any kind of Internet love or anything. He really communicated with her in the dreams they were in. He was thinking less and less of Yuki, now, though.

He leaned back in his chair and took a breath. He had 2 more messages. The next one was from Otaru. He hesitated to open it. He knew Otaru was angry with him and that the message was more than likely going to tear him down. Darien clicked and read it anyway. It read:

Darien, I was mad at you. I'm very mad. To think that you, my best friend, would steal a girl away from me. Not only that, but a girl that I had feelings for. I hate you. You won't be seeing me in school today. I'm faking sick, so I can stay home. Maybe that will make you think twice. Oh, and when you go to sleep tonight. Beware!

The message ended there. This worried Darien. It worried him a lot. On the other hand it was only Otaru he had to worry about tonight when he went to bed. The others would surely be there. It wasn't just that really, but the fact that he was feeling guilty that he was stealing Melissa away from him. He started to hate himself. He hated himself even more now than before. It was more noticeable to himself that he felt this way.

Darien grabbed his bag and went to the door setting it there, so he'd remember it before he left. He then went into the kitchen for breakfast. Of course his step mom had to ask about Otaru and how Darien should bring him over sometime. Darien just frowned. He knew he'd never come over after last night, but what was he going to tell her.

“I don't know,” was all he could say.

Mika didn't understand. “Why not?” she asked.

“Just...I don't know,” was his only reply as he finished and started out the door.

Mika frowned. She was more worried for him than before. She watched him walk out the door. She laid her head on the table. 'What was wrong with that boy. He was always like this since the day she met him and after he married his father,' she thought.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Darien made it to school, he didn't see Otaru anywhere. It figures he was telling the truth. 'Dammit!' he thought. 'It's not like I did it on purpose.' He did have feelings for her after last night. This thought made him even more disgusted with himself. He sank deeper into self pity.

“Hey, Darien!” a voice called from behind, just as he started to enter the building.

Darien turned his head around. It was Akito. 'This is quite a change from yesterday,' he thought. Akito didn't seem to talk to him or anyone before. I guess it had to do with the dream last night. He took it quite literally that they were all sharing a dream world. It figured, though. He was obviously the type with a big imagination and probably didn't differentiate imagination from reality at times. Any normal person would have had to have been more convinced that it was more than just a dream.

Akito made his way up to the steps. “Darien, have you seen Otaru? I thought I'd seem him on the way to school, but I didn't,” he said.

Darien sighed at the mention of his name. “He told me he was sick today,” he replied.

“But...he was fine last night. That can't be right,” Akito told Darien.

Darien just shrugged. It was early. Darien went to school earlier than anyone else, of course, but what was Akito doing here so early. “Why so early?” he asked.

Akito just shrugged. “I guess I just expected to see you and Otaru this morning. I don't know,” he said.

There was a moment of silence and Darien walked into the building with Akito following.

“Oh! That's right. I had to meet with Kumashiro sensei this morning,” he said as he zoomed past and into the classroom.

Darien was spun around due to the rate of Akito's acceleration. He fell on his back. After a moment of confusion he got back up and dusted himself off and headed for the classroom.

He sat down in the back as usual as Kumashiro sensei and Akito talked about the manga he had been sneaking into class. Darien didn't really pay any attention to it.

Only a minute later Otaru walked in. He gave Darien a cold look and said. “I thought I'd be here just to remind you of last night,” he said in a low voice before taking his seat in the front of the room. He slammed his cooks down on the desk.

Miss Kumashiro looked over to Otaru. “And just what's the problem this morning, Otaru? We don't slam our books down in class, especially if people are talking,” she said sternly.

“None of your damn business,” he replied in a growl.

She looked at him, her eyebrows folded. “That's fine if you don't want to tell me, but please refrain from saying that again,” she said angrily.

Otaru just rolled his eyes and laid his head on the desk.



For the rest of the period till lunch, Darien kept getting a cold stare back from Otaru from the front of the room. When he wasn’t being stared at Darien was trying hard to focus on his classes. It was difficult. He was glad he wasn’t called upon by the teacher that day, because most of the time he didn’t know what was being taught. Otaru was right, he was reminding him of last night.

When lunch came, darien sat in his normal spot underneath the tree. He started to eat alone. But then he heard someone call out, “Hey, Darien!”

Darien looked up to see Akito running his way. But he tripped, his lunch dumped all over Darien. He sighed. He should have known, but no Darien was unprepared for Akito tripping, so he had shrimp tempora all over him.

Akito’s head had hit he tree and then he tumbled to the ground. He got back up immediately, picking up his shrimp from all over and putting it back with his lunch. “Gomen nasai,” he said, bowing his head. He then sat down next to Darien.

“Did you see Otaru this morning. He seemed pretty mad,” Akito said, after putting a piece of shrimp in his mouth.

Darien sighed. This was the last thing he wanted to talk about, but it was the only thing on his mind. “Yeah,” was his only response.

Just then Megumi sat down to Darien’s right, opposite Akito. “Hello,” she said. “Look. I know it’s not your fault. You didn’t do anything to initiate that between you Otaru.”

“You don’t know that,” Darien said in a hushed voice.

“But the pig was...” Akito started, before Darien nudged him. He started to choke. “I’ll be right back,” he said as he headed toward a fountain to drink from.

“Was he about to say something about a pig?” Megumi asked.

Darien shrugged.

“Oh that’s right you never did see that pig,” concluded.

Darien started to choke on a peice of squid as she started to head towards the right conclusion. That is that he was the pig.

“Oh, no not you, too,” megumi said as Darien walked off towards the fountain with Akito.

Akito had just finished, when Darien started to take a drink. Akito started to head back, but Darien finished. “Wait,” Darien said, catching his breath after a hard swallow.

“Nani?” Akito looked at him questioningly.

“You musn’t tell her about that,” Darien said.

“Tell her what?” Akito said, continuing to look confused.

Darien looked around for a second to see that noone could hear him. He walked up closer to Akito. Darien leaned towards Akito and whispered, “That I was the pig last night.”

“So what, if she knows, it’s not like you did anything anyway,” Akito said.

“But, I,” Darien started to say.

“But what? It’s not like you have feelings for Melissa. Those two were just having a fight,” said Akito.

Just then Megumi came up to them. She was tired of waiting for them. She had heard part of their conversation, but not what initiated it. “That’s right,” Megumi said proudly. “You like that girl, Yuki, right?” she asked

Darien, then remembered Yuki. He forgot all about her last night.

“Darien! Please help...” a voice echoed through his mind.

His eyes widened and he staired off in another direction.

"What is it, Darien?" Megumi asked.

Akito blinked and poked Darien in the shoulder.

"Didn't you hear that?" Darien asked them. returning to normal.

"What?" Akito said confused.

"That voice. It called my name," Darien replied.

"Ooooh. Was it like a ghost, all echoey and stuff?" Akito said, half kidding and half just being goofy.

"Akito, shut up," Megumi groaned.

"Actually, it was," Darien said, almost as if he was in a daze.

Megumi sighed. "No way, you've gotta be hearing things."

"No. I distinctly heard it say my name and it was asking for help," He said. At first he was insisting he had heard it, but as he finished his voice sounded less confident. "You're probably right. Never..."

The voice came again. "Darien? Can you hear me?" it asked.

He stared off into another direction again. This time Darien knew for sure that he heard it and it distinctly sounded like the voice of the girl that he had met that night. The one they've been searching and fighting to save. It was Yuki.

"Oh my. He's gone," Megumi said.

"Uh, Darien, you're scaring us," added Akito.

"Shhh. It's Yuki, Darien said trying to quiet them.

"Yuki, oh my god, really?" Megumi said in a hushed voice, this time believing Darien.

"Weird," was all Akito had to say.

Darien's face pointed towards the sky. "Y-yuki?" he said in a low voice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Y-yuki?" a small, low voice echoed around her.

Charlie perked his ear and raised his head from the ground and he opened his eyes in surprise.

She gasped. Darien had replied. She was caught by surprise and couldn't think of a response. She was also scared, nervous about talking to him, yet again.

"What are you waiting for, Yuki? Answer him!" Charlie said, a little anxious to get them to talk.

"But what should I say?" she asked the cat.

"Well, it couldn't hurt to ask him where he is and what he's doing right now," Charlie replied.

Yuki nodded and closed here eyes again, preparing to talk to him. "Where are you right now?" she asked.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I'm at school, right now. Where are you? I...I mean how are you? Are you ok?" he asked with a stutter. Darien kept in mind that people may be watching him and thinking he's weird. He looked a round a moment, noticing that they were a little ways from everyone else.

"I'm scared, but other than that I'm fine," she replied. "I'm in a sanctuary in the darkness. There's barely any light here at all in this sanctuary. Charlie says I'm safe here."

"Who's Charlie?" Darien asked, a little confused.

"Charlie? She's got someone with her?" Megumi asked Darien.

Since Darien now had, at least, Charlie's name in his mind he was able to speak to him. "Darien, remember the cat in your dream the other night with Yuki? That was me. I'm an angel sent help you both," he told him.

Darien turned to the two with him. "Yuki has an angel with her," he said "That's who Charlie is."

"An angel? You mean like Belldandy?" asked Akito in a daze. His eyes glazed over just thinking about it. "Oooh how I'd like to see her in a swimsuit and then...."

"Akito, shut up," Megumi interrupted. "And Belldandy is a goddess, not an angel. There's a difference," she added, rolling her eyes. "You're the manga expert. You should know that."

"Forgive me for not reading that manga yet," Akito said scowling.

"Charlie's a guy's name, so i'm assuming Charlie's a he," Darien replied.

"Dammit," Akito mumbled.

"Darien, you have sort of a psychic gift, so you're that's why you're the only one that can hear us. That's also why you are able to detect shadow people," said Charlie. "But listen, Darien. Not only are you to save Yuki, here, but you must defeat a great demon."

Darien looked shocked and then sunk his head.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Megumi asked, looking worried.

"He says I must fight a demon," said Darien.

"Well, 2. One great one and one minor one," added Charlie.

"What!?" he yelled looking up towards the sky again. A few of the students further away looked at Darien.

He looked all over with a sweat drop on his head, he turned away. "Great, now I look like a freak," he mumbled to himself.. "Two demons," he said in a low voice to Akito and Megumi.

"Well, we won't worry about that, now will we? You and Otaru fought plenty of shadow monsters already," she said confidently.

Akito looked freaked out.

"Darien. We need you, Otaru, Megumi and Akito to get here and fight Drezel. The first one, you'll need to fight before getting here," Charlie continued. "Are you with me, Darien? We need to defeat him or he will start nightmares in everyone's dreams."

Darien gulped. This was the only way to save Yuki and if he didn't do it, he and everyone else would have nightmares forever. 'No big deal, right? We've fought shadows already, right?' Darien thought to himself. "Yes," he said, though not sounding very convincing.

"I can't here you," Charlie said.

"Darien?" Yuki said.

Hearing Yuki's voice triggered something in Darien. "Yes!" he said much more enthused.

"Thank you, Darien," Yuki said with tears of joy in her eyes.

"I thank you as well, Darien," Charlie added. "First thing's first. you must defeat the demon in your dream. I don't mean a shadow. She will be in disguise."

"How will I know who she is?" Darien asked.

"She has already been among you, though, you've never met her in real life," Charlie said.

"No no no. You don't mean Melissa, do you?" Darien asked, confused and scared.

"What about Melissa?" Megumi asked.

"Huh?" said Akito.

"Yes, her. She's the one that stopped you from talking to us before," said Charlie.

"Otaru will not take this well," Darien sighed.

"What is it? Tell us!" Megumi said again.

"Melissa is a demon," Darien said in a low voice, hanging his head.

"But...that can't be...can it?" Megumi replied.

"It's a disguise," Darien added.

"We've got to tell Otaru!" Akito said.

"We'll do that tonight before everyone goes to bed," said Megumi with a nod. "We can't tell him here and now, not with all the people here."

Darien and Akito nodded.

"Darien, we'll tell you how to get to us, after you go to sleep, ok? But not before defeating 'Melissa,'" added Charlie. "For now you must work through the rest of the day as you would normally."

"Ok," was Darien's only reply and the conversation was over.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yuki stood up. She was excited and scared at the same time. She was finally going to be out of this nightmare, but not knowing how or when was the scarey part. That and meeting Darien again. The only reason she wasn't afraid to talk to him the night she met him was because she was not aware that it was more than a dream. She was restless and couldn't wait.

"Yuki, we must prepare. Fear is not a good thing. You must lose the fear you have," Charlie said. "Come with me. We are leaving the sanctuary."

Yuki gulped. "Wh-why?"

"Like I said, we must break the fear you have. We must make you somewhat immune to your fears, so you can face them later. Here we can only work on your nightmares," Charlie said, leading her outside.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The rest of the day, Darien found it hard to focus on school. He was glad when it finally let out. He headed home with Otaru far behind him. He hoped Otaru would understand what they were about to tell him tonight.

When Darien finally got on the computer that night, he took a few deep breaths before Megumi invited him into chat with Otaru and Akito.

Meg99: Hello Darien!

SilentSwordsman: hi.

CrazyBanana: Hiiiii!

VentonValiant: Feh! Didn't think I'd see you here again, Darien.

Meg99: There's something you should know, but I think Darien should say it.

CrazyBanana: Yeah. It's about Melissa!

Meg99: Shut up and let Darien tell him.

VentonValiant: What? That he's seeing her?

SilentSwordsman: no.

VentonValiant: Lies!

CrazyBanana: *Drops a coconut on Vent's head!*

Meg99: Hellooo. Darien. Are you there?

Darien sighed, just staring at his computer screen.

CrazyBanana: *Pokes Silent repeatedly*

SilentSwordsman: Melissa is a demon.

VentonValiant: What the hell are you talking about? We already know the shadows from everything else.

SilentSwordsman: Not a shadow. A demon.

VentonValiant: whatever...

SilentSwordsman: someone help me...

Meg99: It's true. Darien was even talking to Yuki at lunch.

VentonValiant: What? She's awake?!?

CrazyBanana: It was telepathic from the dream world. Right Darien?

SilentSwordsman: *nods*

Meg99: Well, I think Melissa's been keeping us from helping Yuki the whole time.

VentonValiant: But that can't be. I've talked to her on the net for a long time. These are all just lies!

CrazyBanana: *Throws another coconut at the back of Vent's head.*

VentonValiant: Now cut that out. Just who the hell are you anyway?

Meg99: That's Akito. Remember him?

VentonValiant: ah. Anyways, cut that out will ya? >.<

CrazyBanana: ...

SilentSwordsman: It's true. I imagine she has some connection to the real world.

VentonValiant: Oh, really. Do explain. >.< *cough* liars *cough*

CrazyBanana: You're an asshole.

Meg99: Akito, don't be too hard on him. He doesn't get it, ok?

VentonValiant: I get everything, very well. Thank you very much. Why are you all lying to me?

SilentSwordsman: I suppose the only way to know is to ask her. ...as if she'd admit it.

VentonValiant: I'm placing you all on ignore. I'm tired of this. Don't expect me to talk to you in dream land.

(VentonValiant has logged off.)

Meg99: Don't worry Darien. He'll come to his senses. Just give him time to absorb this.

CrazyBanana: ...

Meg99: Those dots are getting on my nerves, Akito!

SilentSwordsman: *sigh* I can never keep friends.

Meg99: Well, you've still got us. And also Yuki. Don't forget Yuki! :)

CrazyBanana: Count me in! *jumps up and down*

SilentSwordsman: Thanks.

Meg99: *nods*

CrazyBanana: I gotta go. Mom's yelling at me to get off the computer.

SilentSwordsman: night

Meg99: night

(CrazyBanana logged off.)

Meg99: I suppose that goes for the both of us, too.

SilentSwordsman: Yeah. night.

Meg99: See you there.

(Meg99 logged off.)

Darien found it difficult to get to sleep at first, but dozed off after about an hour. The others were no doubt waiting for him and probably not happy he took so long, either.
Converting /tmp/phpEXGCAR to /dev/stdout