Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ South Town ❯ Another Friend Another Problem ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: King of Fighters along with all its characters is the property of Playmore Games.

()= thoughts

Another Friend, Another Problem

Three hours had passed since the clean up began. Torch, Achika, and Yuri sat on the ground, soaking in the afternoon sun and taking the opportunity to relax. Ido was not far off, perched on a high tree limb, watching the event. Takuma was still in the back, mumbling to himself as he pulled weeds out of the rock garden.

"So where's the dynamic duo," Achika asked as she readjusted her ponytail.

"They said they'll come," Yuri replied. "They must be at the school."

"If they show up great, if not... I'll personally see to it they suffer unimaginable pain, whoever they are," Torch threatened. She looked at her watch. "Iris should be here any...." She looked up to see Iris pull up once again. "Right on time."

"I gotta hand it to her," Achika said. "Punctuality is good."

"I got lunch," Iris called. "Anyone hungry?"

"Food is better," Achika added.


The group sat on the path, enjoying the lunch Iris had brought with her. While the others talked, Iris paid more attention to the surroundings. Achika noticed this as the conversation about fighting tactics continued between Torch and Takuma.

"Say, Iris," Yuri asked.

"Hmm?" Iris turned to face the girl. "Yes?"

"So where have you been lately," she asked.

"Here, there and everywhere," Iris replied. She then noticed Achika looking at her funny, but ignored it.

"Iris, did you get the supplies," Torch asked as she opened a can of soda.

"Not all of it," Iris said. "I'm going to need help getting the paint and the other cleaning supplies."

Achika thought for a moment. "I'll go, if that's alright with you."

"Fine," Iris replied and stood up to go to her car.

"Right now?"

"The sooner the better," Iris replied without turning around. "By the way, Master Yosho received the letter you dropped off."

"Not much for conversation, is she," Achika noted as she stood up to leave as well.

"That's normal," Torch said. "This will give you a good chance to get to know her, and she'll probably be able to answer some questions that I couldn't. Iris isn't really a bad person, believe me, and don't be intimidated by her appearance and attitude. You gotta start learning to never judge people by their appearance if you want to make it in this town."

Achika sighed. "If you say so." She then hurried over to Iris's jeep. Achika could not help but let out a whistle. "Nice vehicle. I've always wanted to ride in one of these with the top down."

Iris didn't reply as they began to leave the grounds. She even remained silent halfway through the trip. The silence was beginning to bother Achika. Iris noticed how uncomfortable her passenger was getting. "Surprised?"

"Surprised about what," Achika asked, finally glad that Iris began to talk.

"That I'm Iris? I thought you figured it out already, or did you think I was more, I don't know, casual?"

"You could have said hi or something."

Iris glanced over to the passenger side. "Torch didn't tell you?"

"She said something about it," Achika replied.

"Listen, I usually don't socialize very much, and if I offended you in anyway, I apologize," Iris continued as she made a right turn at an intersection. "So you wanted to know stuff about the businesses around town?"

Achika was caught off guard. "Say what?"

"Businesses and the city. Torch told me about the questions you were asking. It sounds like you're doing some investigating."

"Well, I was just curious about a few things," Achika said in defense.

"We're here," Iris said and pulled into a parking lot. "You have the list?"

"Right here." Achika pulled the paper from her pocket. "So how do the businesses work around here?"


While the girls gathered the supplies, Iris explained to Achika about the role business plays in the city's survival. Achika tried her best to keep up and make mental notes at the same time. Iris did also mention Geese Howard and how he was the number one businessman in the city. Achika kept asking questions long after they were done shopping and on the road once again.


"This Geese Howard guy, I keep hearing and reading about him," Achika said. "How long has he been around?"

"I'm not sure on that myself, however I can tell you this much about him," Iris said as they stopped at a stoplight. "The big honcho works in that building over yonder." She pointed to a lone glass high-rise building. "Geese Tower."

"'Geese Tower?' The all mighty Geese Howard who watches the city from Geese Tower.... My goodness, for a man who seems to have so much power and wealth, you'd think he'd would have at least changed his name to make it fit the role."

"I like the way you think," Iris commented as the light turned green.

"Personal question, Iris, that is if you don't mind...."

"No, I do not dye my hair black. Naturally, it is black, and yes, I do have blue eyes. I have those extremely rare features, unless you count all that cartoonish stuff. The combination is rather popular." Iris interrupted. "I'm sorry, bad habit of mine. I take it that wasn't the question you were going to ask?"

"You get that question a lot?"

"Plenty. Some people still don't believe me."

"Well, with those highlights in your hair, it does throw things off a bit," Achika continued. "And don't worry about that interrupting stuff. I'm guilty of that myself."

Iris slowed the car to a stop at another red light. "Check it out," Iris pointed out as a convoy of black cars stopped at a light. "This is the closest most people ever get to Mr. Howard."

"Tight security," Achika noted. "Why all this?"

"Another aspect of the system around here. 'You come, you see, and you try to conquer while getting the crap beat out of you in the process.' A man like him definitly has enemies." Iris made her left turn. "I have a friend who has a brother who works for him as a personal bodyguard. If you ask me, he really doesn't need all those men. From what circulates around here, he's capable of defeating a master of any style with one hand, and that's the tall tale version."

"He even has his own folklore?"

"You should hear the one about how he survived a fall from the top of Geese Tower."

"Let me guess, made like the singular form of his name and flapped his wings?" Achika began to laugh. "That name is just out of this world."

"Believe me, the longer you stay here, the more you'll come to accept it, but I did like your response." Iris reduced her speed as they arrived into the residential area. "I take it Torch already showed you most of the city?"

"She did, but I don't remember this part." she replied as she noticed Iris took a different route.

"This place isn't as bad as it appears. Many people here spend more time at the basketball courts over there. That empty lot serves as a roller hockey field, and if you're in luck, a street fight or two. The residents of this area mainly consists of people who work at the docks. Once we pass that intersection, you'll be surprised."

Achika was curious about Iris' last comment. She studied the area as they passed the intersection. "Oh my...." She turned around to see the area they had just left.

"Welcome to our version of Beverly Hills. Don't worry. I make deliveries on this road."

"Husbands apologizing to their wives?"

"Basically. The further we go into this neighborhood, we'll hit the coast line."

"How far are we from my family dojo?"

"About a two miles off to our right." Iris stopped and made a right turn. "Politicials live on this side of the road. The mayor's residence is just beyond that point." She pointed towards a gate. "Then it's about three miles up the hill side in a zigzag pattern. Not fun." She then stopped the car.

"What?"

"See that island off the coast over there?"

"Yes... isn't that a pagoda?"

"Part of Geese Howard's residence. He also has his own dojo." Iris then continued with the trip back to the Himuro residence.

"What style does he know?"

"From what I've heard, Kobujutsu. Why?"

"There's something I don't like about that Goose-man."

"Get in line, girl. Half the people here don't like him. "

"You included?"

"Nah. I really have nothing against him. Sure it's kinda bad when he sends men to harass some of the local residents, but how can you hate someone who in turn hasn't really done anything to you? I know that it sounds a bit selfish, but at the same time, I don't blame people for hating him either. It's one of those things."

"I see," Achika noted. She looked around once more and saw that they were once again on a familiar street. "Well, thanks for telling me all this."

"No prob," Iris said as she pulled into the driveway of the Himuro residence. "Shall we?"

"Let's." Achika checked to see if the other two helpers have arrived. "They're still not here?!"

"Negative," Torch answered back as she approached them. "Need a hand?"

"Sure, the more the merrier," Iris said, glad for the help and began to unload the buckets. "Who are you waiting for anyway?"

"Ryo Sakazaki and Robert Garcia," Achika replied.

Iris and Torch froze just as the two men pulled up in a red corvette convertible.

"Sorry, we're late," Robert apologized. "We had some business to take care of back at the dojo."

"Well, it's about time," Achika scolded. "Master Takuma isn't very happy with you guys."

"It couldn't be helped," Ryo said in defense. "Some idiot thought he could take on the whole school. We proved him wrong."

"It took you guys that long to...," Achika questioned, puzzled at the time it took.

"Then there was the clean-up," Ryo added. "That wasn't very fun. Well, anyway, we're here, and we're ready to serve."

Robert nodded and then noticed Yuri had joined in helping Iris and Torch unload the jeep. He walked over to see if he could help. "Need... it's you!"

Iris looked up and glanced side to side. "Was he talking to me?"

"I guess," Torch replied. "Hiya, neighbor."

"What are... what is she...."

"Oh, Ryo and Robert, these are two friends of mine. Torch and Iris Kipagami." Achika then noticed the look on their faces. "You guys already know each other?"

"In a way," Ryo replied calmly. "Hey, ladies! Long time, no see."

"What... she... how....," Robert continued to babble.

"Ryo," Torch addressed.

Robert stopped babbling, took a deep breath and then pointed at Iris. "We have a little score to settle, Ms. Kipagami! I'm going to get you back for what you did to me!"

*****
Uh, oh. See what happened to tick off Robert in the next chapter!