Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ South Town ❯ Kyokugen Encounter ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: King of Fighters along with all its characters is the property of Playmore.

()= thoughts

Kyokugen Encounter
Robert vs. Iris

It all started just fine. The Sakazakis were helping Achika in restoring her home as well as Torch and the now existent Iris. It wasn't until Robert arrived and recognized Iris, accusing her of assaulting him a few weeks back, that everything changed. Everyone dropped what they were doing, witnessing the sudden change of atmosphere.

"Say what?" Iris turned around to see a furious Robert.

"I challenge you," Robert repeated slowly.

Iris was surprised at first, but then recalled the incident that involved Robert not too long ago. "You're challenging me? Over a stupid little mishap?"

"Mishap?" Achika glanced at Torch to see if she knew anything about it.

Torch thought for a moment, seeing if she could recall anything. Then she slammed her fist into her palm at the same time she exclaimed, "Oh, yeah, now I remember!" She cleared her throat and began explaining. "Ryo and Robert live in the same apartment complex we do, and it so happens they live right above us. Being the 'so-called' Kyokugen masters that they are, they practice every single day. Can you just imagine the noise all that produces? It just so happens that they were practicing one night, and Iris couldn't sleep. As a matter of fact, Iris couldn't sleep for almost two days. When she doesn't get any sleep, Iris can be a very, very pissed off young lady. Back to the story, she lost her temper and marched straight upstairs. Robert answered the door and wham... Iris hit him. Hard."

"No wonder why Robert had that bruise on his cheek," Yuri stated. "Oh, well."

"Whoa, whoa, calm down, Bobby," Ryo said as he jumped in between the two. "It was all a misunderstanding, and she did apologize the next day. Besides, we deserved it."

"Ryo, this is a man's pride we're talking about," Robert said.

Iris was becoming a bit fed up and wanted to get this over with. "Fine, fine, fine." Iris said, finally giving in. "Name the time and place."

"Tomorrow, at the Sakazaki dojo... noon!"

"Can't, taking inventory."

"Oh, then how's about two?"

"I'll be there," Iris replied.

*****
Luckily, the rest of the day went on without incident. The next day did as well, and everyone was doing his or her own business. That is until news spread about the upcoming match. The students at the Kyokugen school began a "fighting pool," placing bets on who would be the victor, of course many were in favor for Robert.

On the other hand, Iris was not so happy. Torch decided to kill the rest of the time at the Sakazaki dojo, interested in seeing the Kyokugen style action. As Iris's shift came near the end, she stopped doing her inventory and sat on the ground. "Why the hell did I accept?"

"Is something wrong," a male voice asked.

"Master, I..." Iris said, startled at first, but then quickly stood back up. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be slacking off like that."

Master Yosho Kipagami only smiled at his youngest adopted daughter. "What's on your mind, child?"

Iris was a bit hesitant to answer, but went ahead and explained. "I've accepted a challenge. The fight is to take place at two o'clock over at the Sakazaki dojo."

"You," the old master questioned, a bit surprised. He then laughed. "Is this a joke?"

"I'm afraid not," Iris regretfully replied. "It was over an incident that happened not too long ago."

Master Yosho thought for a moment. "If you do not mind, I would like to watch this match. I've seen Torch fight so many times, it's rather refreshing to see another one of my students fight."

"Torch and I are your only students," Iris said.

"Exactly," the master replied and smiled when Iris tried to hold back her laughter. "Now go ahead and contact the Sakazakis. Tell them that I will be coming."

"Why," Iris asked as she continued with the inventory.

"I just like the reaction," Master Yosho replied with a chuckle. "Now hurry up, Iris. You don't want to be late for the fight." He then stopped. "By the way, who is it that you're fighting?"

"Robert Garcia," Iris answered.

*****
The Sakazaki dojo, 2:00 P.M.

"Make sure the floor is spotless! Rearrange the equipment! Someone wash those mirrors!" Even though Takuma had given Ryo and Robert the authority to run the school, he was still in charge. Students were frantically running back and forth, tidying up the dojo as best as they could.

"Father," Yuri began to ask, "Isn't Master Yosho supposed to be one of the most respected martial artists in the world?"

"That is correct, Yuri," Takuma replied. "SPEED IT UP, PEOPLE!! THEY'LL BE HERE ANY MINUTE!!"

Yuri then glanced over towards Robert and Ryo. "They have no idea who he is, do they?"

"They have heard of him, but they do not know the story behind him. It is said that he was a well-accomplished fighter in his time, a legend in his own right. He doesn't have any other students other than his two adoptive daughters. What makes me curious is why? People say that the particular style he knows is extremely powerful, perhaps even surpassing Kyokugen." Takuma watched Ryo and Robert spar it out. "If it is true that Torch has yet to be defeated, then I would hate to see what capabilities Iris has." Takuma then let out a slight chuckle. "There's a lesson to be learned from this, and it is refreshing to see that they will learn it the hard way."

"That's kinda cruel, dad."

"So is life, child. Besides, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Master Yosho doesn't make appearances as much as he used to in the past. Having him around here is good publicity for the school."

"Oh," Yuri said, finally understanding.

Meanwhile, Torch and Achika watched as the students finally finished cleaning up the dojo and took their spots on the floor to watch the match. Achika was wearing her gi, as was Torch who was hoping to spar with some of the Kyokugen students. Unfortunately, many had backed off and aided with the cleaning of the dojo, especially after the thrashing the first student received.

"Torch, where's your belt," Achika asked. They were standing against a wall, facing the Kyokugen students who wanted to watch.

"I couldn't find it for some reason," she replied. Torch was wearing her custom made gi, a red top with an embroidered dragon on the left side of the jacket against a pair of black pants. "I must have left it at the Master's dojo."

"Master Yosho has a dojo?"

"Yep, third floor of his shop. It's not as big as this one, but it works. He owns the building."

Robert was becoming impatient. "Where is she?"

"It's only two after," Torch said from across the room. "She's probably on her way over here."

The doors swung open, and Iris ran inside carrying her gym bag. "Torch, catch. It was with my stuff." Iris then tossed Torch her missing belt.

"Thanks, Iris." Torch caught her belt and carefully tied it around her gi.

Ryo happened to glance over at Torch. His eyes widened when she was done tying her belt. "Uh, Bobby?"

"What," Robert asked and then looked at what Ryo was pointing at. "1...2...3...4....?"

"Fourth degree black belt," Achika noted with approval.

"I see you're not so bad yourself," Torch replied, noting Achika's rank. "We should fight sometime."

"Looking forward to it. Wow, Iris, too?"

"Like I said, she's my only rival."

Robert and Ryo glanced at Iris as she tied her belt around her gi. "Her, too?" They glanced over towards Takuma, who was obviously impressed.

Just then all eyes focused on an older man as he entered the dojo. Immediately, Torch acknowledged his presence by bowing her head low in respect, as did Iris. Achika, not knowing what to do, decided to follow Torch's lead.

"Master Yosho, it's an honor, sir." Takuma said bowing low. He then caught a glimpse of his two pupils' faces. He turned around and motioned for everyone to bow as well.

The old man smiled and nodded, accepting the Kyokugen master's greeting. "Iris," Yosho called.

"Yes, sir?"

"Go easy on him," he whispered. "You know the drill." Iris left and stood in the middle of the matted ring. "Strange, I never thought I would see the day."

"Hmm," Takuma questioned.

"Usually it's Torch people challenge. The only person to ever challenge Iris is, in fact, Torch. Iris doesn't like to fight."

Achika was taken aback. "Iris?"

"Between the two, Torch is the, um, active one." The old man laughed. "Just because she looks like a mean person, doesn't necessarily mean that she's actually violent. Iris started dressing up that way in hopes of people leaving her alone."

"I see. By dressing up like the way she does, people generally just walk away and not even bother with her. It's a way of hiding out in public. As though it was like little reverse psychology. So who do you think will win," Achika asked, curious about the revelation.

"Iris, hands down," Torch said confidently.

"Um, Bobby maybe it's too late to say this now, but I hear that Iris is Torch's equal," Ryo whispered to Robert as they watched Iris stretch out.

"Yeah, and?"

"Well, have you ever seen Torch at the Pao Pao?"

Robert swallowed hard. "Wish me luck?"

"You'll definitely need it."

"So are we ready," Iris asked. (The sooner we get this done the better) she thought to herself.

Robert nodded. "Here's the deal, the first one to be knocked down onto the floor wins. Simple as that."

Iris looked at him in disbelief. "Is that all," she asked with a flat tone.

"I think it's fair, don't you," Robert replied. "Shall we begin?"

"Yeah, whatever," she said as she took her position.

Yuri stood in the center. "Begin!!"


Robert attacked first by combining simple punches and kicks, which Iris easily avoided. Robert paused and then went for another simple combo, only much faster. He finally made physical contact with her, but Iris only blocked his attacks without effort. Robert tried and tried, only to have Iris stop him at every chance he had. This frustrated Robert and more so when he realized Iris did not even attack him throughout the entire match.

"Aren't you going to strike at me," he asked.


Torch, too, was becoming a little impatient. "COME ON, IRIS, QUIT STALLING! I WOULD HAVE ALREADY MOPPED THE FLOOR WITH THIS GUY!!"

"Torch...," Master Yosho warned. "What did I tell you about pressuring her?"

"Sorry, Master." Torch apologized. "KICK HIS BUTT, IRIS!"

"Much better."

"Hmm..." Achika carefully observed Iris. "So far, she could have countered almost half the attacks Robert has dished out. Defensive one, isn't she."

Master Yosho nodded.

"I am quite impressed with her capabilities," Takuma commented. "I wish some of my pupils were as patient as she is."


Robert continued, but added a bit more strength into his attacks. Iris began to notice the change. (He's not holding back this time around) she thought to herself. (In that case, I shouldn't either.)

Robert went for a roundhouse, which Iris avoided and then attacked. "That's more like it," he exclaimed.

The roles reversed and Iris became the aggressor. Robert managed to dodge her attacks, but soon realized that Iris had the advantage. (Dammit! I should have known, she was purposely holding back against me. Good thing I started off slow. I would have been exhausted by now.) He managed to counter one of her attacks and stood his ground. (I may have the strength, but she has speed. That's what I get for underestimating her.)

"She's better than I thought," Ryo noted. He then glanced at Torch. "If Iris is her equal then chances are Torch... whew, don't even want to think about." Ryo then realized something. "If they are this good, then why don't they enter any tournaments? I bet they would be great to go against in the King of Fighters tournament." Ryo noticed that Robert was nearly out of breath. "COME ON, ROBERT! I KNOW YOU CAN WIN," Ryo yelled.

"ANYTIME NOW!"

"TODAY, MAN, TODAY!!"

"Alright, let's finish this," Robert exclaimed and went for his . "(what ever he says... please help fill this in, people) huh?"

Iris blocked the attack and quickly countered him, knocking Robert onto the floor.

"Winner," Yuri exclaimed pointing towards Iris.

"She... knocked... him... down... with... only... two... hits...." Ryo stated with surprise.

"H-h-h-ho-hold on here one minute," Robert said as he got back onto his feet. "I'm not done yet!"

"The match ends when the opponent hits the floor," Iris reminded him. "You set the terms."

"Well, yeah, but...." Robert protested, scratching the back of his head. "I kinda, well, wasn't expecting that you, well, were a fourth degree black belt and, um,...."

"Underestimated us women again, didn't you, Bobby," Yuri teased as she stood next to Iris, who nodded in agreement.

"Well, are we done or were you going to challenge me again," Iris asked.

"I guess we're through," Robert mumbled.

"Hey, look on the bright side," Iris said. "It could have been Torch who slapped you that night."

Robert thought for a moment. "You do have a point. Tell me, is it true what people say about Torch? You know, able to take on several drunken men without even lifting a finger?"

"I'd say that's rather impossible," Iris replied. Robert let a sigh of relief just as Iris continued. "She could do it without breaking a sweat, but without lifting a finger is a bit far fetched, don't you think?" Iris then walked over towards her master and friends, leaving behind a dumbfounded Robert.

"Better luck next time," Ryo said and patted his friend on his back.

*****
Well, another chapter finished. Hope you liked it. Please review!