Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ What's Left of Me ❯ Only If You Want To ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: SOOOO many people have read this, but no REVIEWS!!! It's so irritating! How am I supposed to know if you people like what I'm writing if you don't say anything?! Everything is welcome, even if you're just sayin' you read it. Just let me know what you think. Suggestions are welcome too. But NO stupid hate reviews. If you don't like it, say why, but don't be spiteful about it. If you have a valid reason for disliking it, perhaps I can appease your soul by correcting whatever's irking you. Butcha gotta say somethin'!
 
Disclaimer: Like no backsies, no ownies.
 
***************************
Tifa walked quickly out into the cold night air. She felt the blush leave her cheeks as something else came to her eyes. She quickly wiped it away as Yuffie found her.
 
“Tifa!” she called. “Come back! I didn't mean it! Honest!”
 
Tifa turned to her, seeing the distraught look on her face. “I know, Yuffie,” She said softly. “I know.” She brushed at more tears.
 
“Tifa, why are you crying?” Yuffie asked, her voice concerned.
 
Tifa shook her head. “It's nothing,” she said quietly.
 
Yuffie nodded, leaving her alone and returning inside. She knew Tifa wanted to be alone.
 
Tifa closed her eyes as the tears fell faster. She was so confused. She had felt so safe and secure in his arms, with his lips against hers. Everything felt so right and perfect, until she realized what she was doing. She was kissing Vincent, but she loved Cloud. Didn't she?
 
She tried to recall a time when she had ever felt around Cloud the way she did with Vincent. But she couldn't. In fact, she could barely recall a time when Cloud was home for longer than a day or so. She shook her head, finally admitting what her heart had always known. She and Cloud were friends. Nothing more. She soon realized her tears weren't for Cloud, they were for Vincent.
 
He was the one that made her heart leap when she thought of him. He had been there when she needed him, and she had been there for him. She frowned suddenly, wondering when her heart realized she loved Vincent. She shook her head. It didn't matter. She had always known that she loved him. She just didn't know how he felt and it frightened her. She did not want to be alone anymore, and didn't want Vincent to reject her.
 
She wiped away another tear, once more hearing footsteps. They were long and slow between, and she knew immediately it wasn't Yuffie. A deep, soft voice called her name.
 
“Tifa?”
 
She turned, her hazel eyes meeting fiery crimson. She closed her eyes against the tears, shivering in the cold. She heard him walk closer, and she looked up at him.
 
“Please don't cry,” he whispered. He wiped away a tear. “I never meant to hurt you.”
 
She shook her head quickly. “You didn't,” she said, holding his hand to her cheek.
 
“Then why are you crying?” he asked, his eyes concerned.
 
“Because,” she said, a smile lighting her face. “I just realized something.”
 
He watched her, waiting for her answer.
 
“Vincent,” she whispered. “I love you.” She searched his gaze, not at all surprised by the shock she saw.
 
“You—you love me?” he asked, confusion furrowing his brow.
 
She nodded, turning away, feeling slightly hurt at his reaction. For some reason she had pictured this going differently in her head. “I—I know I probably shouldn't,” she whispered, feeling more tears in her eyes. “I mean…you can't possibly feel the same way. You're a loner, and…” She glanced back at him. “Just forget I said anything.” She wiped at her tears.
 
Vincent stared at her, still in utter shock. “Tifa, I…” He released the breath he'd been holding in a quick sigh.
 
Tifa shook her head. “It's alright Vince,” she said quietly. She shivered against the cold, which was external as much as internal. She took his hesitation as rejection. She brushed at the tears as they fell faster, shaking her head again. “I think I'm going home.”
 
Vincent reached out to stop her, but paused. He just couldn't seem to understand what she had said. He watched her start across the snow-covered street. She loved him? How was that possible? When had he ever done anything worthy of earning Tifa's love? She was such a caring person, and it was hard to imagine why she would choose to love him. He blinked suddenly.
 
What about Cloud? He looked at her retreating form, even more confused. She was supposed to love Cloud. He drew a breath, hardening his resolve, before starting after her. He broke into a jog to catch up with her.
 
“Tifa, wait.”
 
She paused, glancing back at him, her hazel eyes defeated.
 
He felt his heart shatter at her look. His steps slowed to a halt as he stopped next to her. “What you said back there,” he looked away, then back at her. “Why?”
 
She sniffled. “What?” she asked, her voice choked.
 
“Why did you say it?” he asked.
 
Confusion crossed her face and she looked away. “Because it's the truth,” she whispered.
 
“But…Cloud…”
 
Tifa shook her head. “Cloud is my friend,” she said. “He always will be. But he chose to love another, and he refuses to let me in. There's no room for me in his heart.”
 
Vincent's look suddenly darkened. “So am I to be his substitute?” he asked.
 
Tifa's eyes clashed with his, something akin to hurt in them. “How could you even think that?” she whispered, disbelief in her voice. It was replaced with anger. “How could you be so shallow?”
 
His eyes narrowed. “Shallow?” he asked.
 
She nodded, stepping back, away from him. “Yes,” she said accusingly. “Thinking that I would use you. Even accusing me of it. I just told you I loved you, and I didn't even ask for you to acknowledge that I said it! How dare you say that!”
 
Vincent's face became stoic, even though his eyes were wary.
 
“Besides,” she said, looking at the ground. “You could never be Cloud.” Her voice was soft and careful. “You're nothing like him. At all.”
 
Vincent continued to watch her, unsure if that was a compliment or an insult. He watched as her hazel eyes connected with his, and he knew. She really did love him. It was in her eyes; the way he could see her heart shattering in her hazel irises. With out his love in return, she was nothing but another being, struggling to find a place in their chaotic world. He felt something twist in his chest. “Tifa…”
 
She met his gaze.
 
He stepped toward her. “You don't know what you're saying,” he said softly, captivated by her gaze.
 
She blinked, a tear sliding down her cheek. “Yes I do,” she said vehemently. “I know exactly what I'm saying. What I don't know is why you seem so against it.” Hurt flashed through her hazel eyes. “I thought we…” She cut off, her eyes searching his, confused and pleading.
 
“Thought we what?” he prodded softly.
 
“I thought we had something,” she said softly, so that he almost missed it. “But I guess that was just wishful thinking.” She gazed at the ground momentarily, then turned and started to walk away again.
 
Vincent stepped after her, catching her elbow. “Tifa—“
 
“Let me go!” she snapped, clearly upset with him.
 
He turned her to face him, barely thinking about what he was doing. He just knew he needed to fix things before they got any worse. They could work the details out later. Throwing caution to the wind, he pulled her to his chest, crashing his lips down on hers. He felt her tense at first, struggling against him, before slowly relaxing. After a moment, she even returned the kiss, before she suddenly pushed him away.
 
She stared at him, her hazel eyes wide and confused. Her breaths were quick and shallow, and she took a step away from him.
 
“Do you still think we have something?” he asked quietly, watching her reaction.
 
Irritation and confusion at his actions flickered across her eyes, before she looked away, wrapping her arms around herself. “You're so difficult,” she said softly.
 
He quirked a brow. “I'm difficult?” he asked.
 
She turned away, hiding a blush. “I'm going home,” she said.
 
He smiled, having seen her blush. “Shall I walk with you?” he asked.
 
She glanced at him, smiling a little. “If you want,” she said. She started to walk away, and gasped in surprise when she felt him take her hand in his. She looked at him, seeing her gaze mirrored in his eyes.
 
“I love you, Tifa,” he whispered.