Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ My Dreams aren't as Empty ❯ chapter four ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter four is here now. I'm sorry there won't be a Yui/Naisen convo in here, as Miaka had to have her turn to study him. Sorry it's so short, I'm trying to work on the length of my chapters! What do you think? Please review! I'm asking you, please…
 
~~~~~
 
“My Dreams Aren't as Empty” chapter four
by penpaninu
 
“You did a fine job the other night, son,” Shindou Tadaka leaned in Naisen's door, smirking at the boy under the covers. Naisen's fists clenched under the covers and he balled them against his sides. Soon….soon I'll make you pay for doing that to me…
 
“Yes, father.”
 
Tadaka swept a hand through his hair and put his hand on the doorknob. “Yasunori called you `exquisite.' I do believe that may be a first for you, boy.”
 
Hold your hands against your sides. You're not strong enough for him yet…. Naisen's face remained emotionless. “Yes, father.”
 
“I guess the partners enjoy your dry looks. Well, sleep tight, son. We'll go back tomorrow night.” The lights were clicked off and Tadaka closed the door.
Naisen felt a surge of nauseating panic soar in his stomach at that admonition, but fought it down valiantly. Silent and stoic. Those demeanors would get him through whatever his father put him up to. His child's heart shrank and trembled at the thought of that searing pain against him and inside him again. His jaw clenched tightly at the memory of the pain he had in his throat that night and all the next day. Even though he had brushed his teeth once he was allowed to be taken home, he could taste the disgusting aftermath of Yasunori's pleasure on his lips.
 
Naisen doubted a child should know about…that. About any of the activities his father's boss made him do. None of the other children at school, for sure. Maybe not any child in his neighborhood or the others in fact. His mother prayed sometimes, so he knew about gods, or her God. He knew if there was a God, that he did not favor Naisen and he was punishing him for something.
 
“All I wanted was to be normal!” he thought angrily, allowing a scowl in the darkness of his bedroom. God did not want his life to be normal, so he would survive any way he could. And maybe he would have revenge on that God and the heavens as well.
 
* * * *
 
“Mama,” Hiroshi said, following his mother around the kitchen. “Naisen didn't' play with me today. Did I make him mad?”
Miaka looked up from the oven and smiled widely, ruffling her son's dark-blue hair. “Of course not! I don't see how anyone could be mad at you,” she winked. Taka gently swatted her hand as she tried to sample as they cooked. Some of dinner had to make it to the table for Hiroshi and Taka after all.
 
Hiroshi giggled as his mama pretended to whine and suck on her `wounded' fingers, though she smiled back at Papa. Taka took over the cooking so Miaka could turn her full attention to Hiroshi's concern.
 
“But I think…. something's making him mad, Mama. If it's not me, it's got to be something else.”
 
Miaka nodded. “That is very true, Hiroshi. Yui has set him up for appointments, and I'm going to talk with him soon. We'll help your friend! Soon we'll have him smiling.”
Hiroshi brightened. “You always make people smile, Mama! Even mad people.”
 
Miaka kissed the top of her son's head. “I'll help him, Hiroshi.”
 
“That's our Miaka,” Taka commented. “Our saviour to the end.”
Hiroshi giggled as Mama squealed in mock anger and jumped on his back to hug him from behind.
 
* * * *
 
Even after spending her evening devoted to nothing but Tetsuya, even languishing in bed with him long hours into the night, Yui's thoughts still strayed to a younger man with sandy hair and shining eyes. How he still smiled as he did in Kutou. That it was miraculous she could see his twin brother this time. That Suboshi looked happier with his brother with him this time….
 
Yui sighed and buried her face in Tetsuya's bare chest, listening to him breathe deeply in sleep. “His name is Saito! It's no longer Suboshi…” she thought. One of her hands trailed down Tetsuya's stomach and he shifted in his sleep. “I can't keep thinking about him. Oh no, Asakura told him for sure that I liked him….”
 
Tetsuya turned on his side, staying close to Yui's warmth. Yui smiled and ran her hands through his dark hair. I love you, Tetsuya, I do… I almost wish Suboshi hadn't shown up.
Saito, that is. Saito….
 
* * * *
 
Saito lay awake in bed, thinking of a certain woman he hadn't seen in a couple of days. Yui hadn't stopped by in person, but she had made a delivery to the school yesterday. Asakura was lucky enough to get that because Saito was still filling out his delivery slip for the address and Asakura just happened to have one already filled out. He had come back crowing of a generous tip and a brief conversation with their golden-haired goddess.
 
“She only has done a delivery to the school,” Saito thought, head resting on his arms. He stared at the ceiling, thumbs twiddling behind his hair. “She may have one delivered to her home..and maybe she'd let me hold her….kiss her and…love her the way I always wanted to ….I never had the chance to….”
Saito blinked in the darkness. Where had that thought come from? He had only met her a few days ago! But that strange feeling of recognition wouldn't go away. Nor the driving need to protect her like a guard dog.
A wild image of a shaggy wolf-man entered his mind, slathering and howling to be let free for the kill. Saito blinked again. Okay, no thoughts of wild dogs, either!
 
Still it hurt he hadn't seen her in just a few short days. Was she even remembering him? Thinking about him? Asakura had all the luck…
 
* * * *
 
Miaka waited in Yui's small counselor's office the next morning, sipping at a cup of more sugar than coffee, waiting for her appointment with one Shindou Naisen. She read over Yui's notes and thought of Hiroshi's childish analysis. “Something's making him mad.”
She would do the best she could. There was a knock at the door and she smiled.
“Come in!”
 
The door slid open and a sullen bland look met hers. Miaka gasped and stood up, staring at the blond hair and the blue eyes, the stoic look on the young face. It couldn't be! It wasn't! Tama was here now but so could others….so could….Nakago?
 
Naisen let a small frown sneak across his face. “May I come in, Yuki-sensei?” His tone hinted at annoyance for making him wait. Another thing she remembered when he spoke.
 
Miaka coughed and covered her mouth with her hand. “Yes!Yes…Naisen-kun, please come in. Hongo-sensi asked me to speak on her behalf to you. I just have a few questions….”
 
Naisen shrugged and sat down at a chair and waited.
 
At first Miaka's heart was pounding, sure that even at the age of eight, he would lash a spell around her and make her feel foolish for dropping down her guard for an instant. Nakago had that air of flee or submit to me and she had learned that very quickly in the Other World.
As Nakago…no, Naisen, answered her simple questions, Miaka's suspicion washed away. Oh she was sure this was Nakago's reincarnation….all the signs and marks were there after all. But he wasn't…evil. She wasn't sure Nakago himself had ever been evil in all the terms of the word. But horribly misguided and misunderstood. And horribly hurt and abused.
 
Miaka saw in Naisen's blunt and quiet answers, a child abused and neglected. He was hurting and he was hiding it behind the appearance of strength. Much as he did in his other life. But then he had had a lifetime then to hone the ability.
 
“Is that all, Yuki-sensei?” Naisen inquired after a lengthy minute when Miaka stopped pretending to write notes. She sighed and nodded.
 
“Oh, Naisen-kun!” Naisen stopped at the door.
 
“My son, Hiroshi said he wants to keep playing with you…if you'll let him,” she smiled cheerfully. Naisen shrugged.
“I'll think about that, thank you.” The door rasped shut behind him.
 
Miaka sank back in Yui's chair and held a hand to her forehead. The hurt and pain Nakago had influenced callously were the future acts of the abused child she spoke to today. While she still cringed at the memory of that cruel man advancing on her before he made her think he had raped her, she knew she wouldn't' let that stop her from helping his life now.
 
He was only a boy. And he needed to be loved like everyone else.
 
* * * *
 
“Hey!” Hiroshi yelled and ran over to the blond sitting at the edge of the playground. “I brought my ball! You gotta play today!”
Naisen sneered to himself as Hiroshi held up the ball like a war trophy. “Hasn't anyone told you? Games don't last forever,” he growled.
 
Hiroshi blinked, stunned at that sudden outburst. “Wha? Come on, Naisen, you don't have to worry about weird things,” he insisted, Miaka's stubbornness shining through.
 
Naisen sighed and hung his head, shielding his eyes with his blond hair. “I can't play. I'll see you….” Hiroshi watched the taller boy walk off, to circle the playground the whole recess period.
 
Hiroshi hugged his ball then threw it in the air and kicked it. Naisen was definitely mad. But Hiroshi would get through to him. Mama would help, he knew it!
 
* * * *
 
“Aniki! Bro, where are you?” Asakura asked, poking his head out of the backdoor of Dragon Scales. Saito turned around and made a `scat, shoo' motion with his hand to get the hell out.
 
“I'm talking here! Tell boss I'll be back in two minutes,” Saito hissed, covering the mouth piece of his cellphone with one hand. Asakura grinned and doffed his pizza hat at his big brother.
 
“Course I will. Give Yui a kiss for me! Myah!” Asakura laughed and ran back inside before Saito could retaliate. Saito blushed and turned back to his conversation.
 
“Yes, Yui-san…. I was wondering….would you go out with me? Not just for coffee….”
 
End for now
Did you like it? Hate it? Please review! They help keep me going and involuntarily give me ideas you know. Please review if you have read this all the way through!
Penpaninu 9/01/05