Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Only In My Heart ❯ Chance Encounter ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Someone pointed out that I didn't put one in previous chapters. Um, do I really have to? Okay, well then see Chapter 1… it's what I would have written here.

Chapter 16

"Chance Encounter"

The ride to the Madison was quick, as there was hardly any traffic. Stepping out in front of the hotel, she glanced around. She had only been there once before when Korin had dragged her down here for an anime convention. Thank the gods there were no weirdo's running around play sword fighting tonight. She smiled brightly as she walked into the main dining room of the hotel.

She wasn't sure where her father would be eating at since there was at least five restaurants in the hotel. She chose the one closest to the exit should she need to leave quickly. Yes, the thought crossed her mind that she might see someone she knew that she didn't want to know her association to Xiang.

The host tried to seat her but she told him she just wanted to sit at the bar. So, he escorted her over to the bar, trying to take her jacket but she refused to part with it. The bartender grinned at her and she ordered a frozen lime margarita.

She sat there quietly drinking all the while scanning the faces in the restaurant. She didn't see anyone she recognized so she relaxed for about two minutes until the bartender came back placing another drink in front her. She looked at him quizzically and he nodded his head towards the end of the bar, indicating someone had bought her a drink. She glanced down to the dimly lit area and saw an older man holding his glass up. She smiled at the bartender and told him to tell the man she said thank you.

She thought, 'oh god, don't let him come near me.' Just as she thought that a strong arm came around her waist, pulling her up off the stool. She was ready to scream when she heard a familiar voice. "Little sis, you came." She turned to see her brother standing there. "Jackie!" She screamed and threw herself into his arms. "I'm so glad to see you." She hugged him tightly.

"Hey, come on your embarrassing me." He said in a childish tone. "How are you?"

"I'm fine. I wasn't sure where'd you'd be eating so I took a chance on this place." She smiled at him. He was so handsome when he was all dressed up. Although she hated his new hair-do. It was cut entirely too short and he had it spiked. And he wore three dangling hoops in one ear. But the expensive suit he wore made up for it all as he was still the nice looking, clean cut guy she'd always known.

"We're eating on the third floor. I came down here to meet Stephanie. Pop has employees joining us for dinner tonight. He said he hadn't been in town for a while and wanted to do something special for his new employees. I guess introduced them to some of the older ones." He grinned at her as he took in her dress. "You look wonderful. I bet you have all the men beating down your door."

Jenna frowned at that comment. "No, just that old man at the end of the bar." Jackie laughed as he looked towards the end of the bar and made eye contact with the businessman sitting there. "You poor thing. Let me get you out of here. We can meet Steph at the entrance, she should be here soon." He took her arm and led her towards the exit.

**********

"Damn, she's never late." Jackie looked down at his watch; it was 6:45. "I don't know where she could be. She must have got stuck in traffic. Let me call her cell phone." Jenna smiled. "Okay, while you do that, I'm going to use the restroom." She walked away.

**********

"Well, well. Look who it is!" Hotohori had just come in the front door and spotted Jackie standing near the entrance. He reached his hand out to shake Jackie's when the shorter man pulled him into a bear hug. "How the hell are you Sai, my man." The hug ended quickly and Jackie grinned at him. "So you've come to meet sister, huh? 'Bout time."

Hotohori stared blankly back at him before he could find his voice. "Your sister?" Jackie chuckled. "Yeah, she just went to use the restroom. You're gonna love her. She's a knock out now that she's all grown up. We were just waiting for my fiancée to show up."

Hotohori looked around trying to find where the restroom was. He spotted it immediately and turned to leave. "I seriously doubt that. Tell you're father I couldn't make it."

Jackie reached out and grabbed his arm. "Look, I know how you feel about this. She feels the same way too. But no harm can come to just meeting, can it?"

Hotohori was getting nervous. The more he stood there talking the more likely she was to return and he wanted nothing to do with this scheme that Xiang had cooked up.

"Jackie, I really have to go. I have a girlfriend that I'm madly in love with and I'm not in the mood to sit through a dinner with a woman I have no intention of marrying." As an after thought, he added. "Ever."

Jackie looked shocked. "The great Saihitei has met a woman more beautiful than him?" He began laughing. "Yeah, right." He shook his head laughing.

Hotohori frowned at him. "I'm serious. And I have, now I really have to go." He glanced over towards the restroom just as the door was opening and chose that moment to turn away and dash into the gift shop.

Jackie stared after him, laughing before returning his gaze to the entrance looking for his bride-to-be. Jenna strolled over to him, latching her hand onto his arm. Jackie patted her arm. "You won't believe who just showed." Jenna leaned her head against his shoulder. "Who?" Jackie took her hand and looked down at her. "Saihitei."

Jenna straightened up as she felt her blood drain from her body. "No." Jackie laughed. "Yup. But he said he had to leave. He's still around here somewhere." Jenna glanced around. She had no idea what he looked like and she had no intention of finding out either. For her to meet him, no matter what the circumstance, would be the end of her existence as Jenna McCoy. Her father would see to that.

She glanced around and spotted the gift shop. "Hey, Jackie. I'm going in that gift shop over there." She pointed. "I'll catch up with you later okay." She started to walk off as she heard her brother laugh. "Don't talk to strangers." She turned and smiled at him as she waved. She would just wait until he left and then she'd be out the door and in a taxi on her way home.

She walked into the gift shop and quickly turned down one isle to hide and she bumped right into someone knocking over the display of postcards he was standing in front of.

They looked at each other. Shock registering on their faces. "What are you doing here?" They both said at once and immediately started laughing. "I sure am happy to bump into you here." Jenna said smiling as she bent to pick up the postcards. "So what are you doing here?" She looked up at him questioningly.

He reached his hand out to take the postcards. "I was invited to a business dinner. What are you doing here?"

Jenna looked down at the floor. She really didn't want to lie, especially not to Hotohori but she couldn't let anyone find out who she really is. She fidgeted and he noticed. Finally she looked up and smiled. "I was meeting an old friend. We were supposed to have dinner but I changed my mind. Do you want to go somewhere since were all dressed up?" That was rather bold but she needed to get out of here immediately before they ran into Jackie or worse yet, her father. How would Hotohori feel about her if he found out who she really is?

If Hotohori sensed anything amiss, he didn't show it. "Yes, that would nice. Any suggestions?" She stood up, smiling at him. Relief washed over her. "Nope, not a one. Let's just get out of here and we'll figure it out on the way. Did you drive?" She hoped not, it would be quicker to catch a cab and she was anxious to get away from this place.

He quirked an eyebrow at her but didn't question her. "Yes, I did drive. Let's go." He put his arm around her waist possessively and they exited the gift shop. Both stopped in their tracks as they eyed Jackie still standing by the front door. He turned at that precise moment and waved at them.

Hotohori spoke, not looking at her. "I will get the car. Meet me out front in five minutes." He briskly walked away toward Jackie. As he passed, he reached out his hand and shook it, patting him on the back before going out the door.

Jenna watched in utter horror. Hotohori knew her brother. Shit. Of course, they would know each other. Her brother was on the board of directors of Xiang-Sei. Hotohori probably had to answer to him when he worked for the China office. Shit. She really needed to talk to Jackie without Hotohori seeing her. She had to tell him not to let on as to who she was. Did he even remember the name she was going by? Shit.

Jackie turned and smiled at her. She quickly walked over to him. "Jackie, you have to promise you won't tell Hotohori who I am." Jackie looked at her in total confusion. "Huh?" Was all he managed to get out before she continued.

"Listen to me. Hotohori doesn't know I'm Xiang's daughter. My name is Jenna." She paused to breathe. "Jenna McCoy. You got that. Please Jackie, you have to promise me you won't tell him I'm your sister."

Jackie nodded and gave a smile. "You are S… Hotohori's girlfriend?" He hoped she didn't notice he almost slipped with the name. What harm would come to letting them play this game a little while. In the end, it would turn out as everyone planned.

She stared at him. "Yes! Now please, you have to promise me. My name is Jenna McCoy and we know each other from when we were growing up. Okay, remember that. Please." Jackie nodded. This was going to be fun. He glanced up and saw Hotohori coming in the door. "You better go." He nudged her.

Jenna gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "You're the greatest. I'll call you tomorrow and explain everything, okay?" He nodded his head as Hotohori caught sight of them. "Bye, I love you." She reached up and gave him another kiss on the cheek.

As she turned to go, she saw Hotohori standing by the front door watching them. She felt her heart flip-flop. Now she was going to have to lie to him again. But it was worth it. Wasn't it?

Hotohori said not a word. His mind was running with a million thoughts. The main thought being was that she was Jackie's fiancée and that she had just dumped him. He had to ask her about him but he didn't really want to know the answer.

He closed the door for her and hurried around to the driver's side. They drove in silence for a while before he finally found the right words but when he spoke, they came out all wrong.

"You're Jackie's fiancée?" He closed his eyes for a second. That was not what he wanted to say. He started to speak again when she interrupted him with a laugh. He quirked an eyebrow in her direction but said nothing, waiting for her to speak.

Her laughter finally died down and she told the biggest lie she had ever told. "No, he's an old school mate from when I lived in China. We've kept in touch since I moved here." She stopped speaking, not wanting to make it any worse.

"Oh. I didn't know you lived in China. When was that?" Something didn't fit right with what she just said since he went to school with Jackie and it was an all boys' school. He didn't tell her that though.

She hesitated. She really hated lying to him but she couldn't tell him the truth. He'd probably never want to see her again. Who would want to date someone who was betrothed to the most powerful family in China? Especially since he worked for the company, no he would dump her like a hot potato. Her mind made up she tried to stick as close to the truth as possible.

She gave a slight giggle. "I lived in Hong-Nan until I was thirteen, then Aunt Betty let me come here when my parents died. I knew Jackie when I was in elementary school." She shook her head. This was easy. "He walked past my school on his way home. He used to stick up for me when the bigger kids would pick on me."

'There, not a lie in the story at all, well except for the part of him walking past my school on the way home,' she thought to herself. She didn't even know if there was an elementary school in the area where her brother went.

Hotohori nodded his head. She came from his hometown? Interesting. And her parents died when she was thirteen. He remembered when his friend's stepmother died. How sad Jackie was. He could only imagine how bad it was having both your parents die. He decided he wouldn't push that subject. Rather, he tried to remember an elementary school in the neighborhood where he and Jackie attended. But couldn't remember one. That wasn't to say there wasn't one though, they were just young boys, barely out of puberty. He decided to change the subject.

Jenna giggled at the serious, contemplating look on Hotohori's face. She was so afraid he was going to call her bluff. So, she started rambling on. "You asked if I was Jackie's fiancée. What would ever give you that idea?"

He looked over at her when she asked the question. "You hugged and kissed him. And he told me he was waiting for his fiancée. And I heard you tell him you loved him. I just assumed."

Jenna gave a nervous giggle. "No, we've been friends for a long time. We go out whenever he's in town. Tonight I was supposed to meet his fiancée. He was meeting the Xiang party. I didn't realize it was a business dinner and I changed my mind about staying. Why didn't you stay?"

The question totally threw Hotohori off, he couldn't tell her the truth. He didn't want her to know who he was. If she knew Jackie then she probably knew of his family too. He didn't want to risk losing her. Not the girl of his dreams, not after he'd come so far to meet. He loved her. Didn't he just say that last night? Yes, he thought he did but it didn't really matter. He loved her and that was all that mattered right now. He would do anything to hold on to her.

He smiled at her. "Well, I only really went there so I could see Jackie. I did not wish to stay for dinner. When I saw Jackie at the door, we made plans to go out tomorrow night instead. Maybe you could join us?" He glanced over at her, waiting for her reaction.

Jenna suddenly felt ill. She felt the blood drain from her face. She could not imagine trying to sit through dinner with the two of them. She just didn't think she could do it. One of them would be sure to slip.

"I have to work the dinner crowd tomorrow. Maybe another night?" She tried to speak in a normal voice but to her, her voice held a bit of fear.

Hotohori had one more question to ask her that had been eating at him since yesterday. "Why did you get upset when I was looking at the picture of you and Jackie?"

Jenna coughed. She hadn't expected that. Think fast girl. "Well, I didn't want you to think he was more boyfriend." She said matter-of-factly.

Hotohori laughed. "And that's exactly what I thought." He chuckled again. "Okay, well now that it has been established that he is not your boyfriend. Where would you like to go eat?"

She looked out the window. They had been driving around in circles along the banks of the Ohio River. Jenna laughed. "Do you like seafood? There's a place next to Hooter's called the Fish 'n Wharf."

"Hmm, I think maybe Hooter's is the place to go." He spoke teasingly and Jenna leaned over and smacked his arm. "Over my dead body." Hotohori laughed. "Well, does the Wharf offer the best of both worlds? Or would you like to be the entertainment?"

Jenna's eyes went wide. This did not sound like Hotohori. "You've been hanging around Tasuki too long." Hotohori started laughing. "I believe you may be right." Jenna started laughing as he pulled into the Fish 'n Wharf parking lot. Finding a spot, he hesitated.

The idea of big bosom woman flashed through his mind as he glanced into the other parking lot that was full. Tasuki had taken him there his first night in America and he actually hated the place. Who could enjoy a meal and drinks as women bounced through the room as if it were normal to do so? No, he did not like that place. Exposing one's body was something you did in privacy.

Jenna caught his hesitation and quirked a brow at him. She leaned over putting her hand on his as he gripped the keys that were still in the ignition and turned the car off. "I am not going to Hooter's." She stated flatly, bringing his attention back to her.

He laughed. "No, that was not what I was thinking." She silently stared at him. He blushed. "Really. I was just wondering why people like to go to places like that." He started to fidget and she took his actions to be opposite of what he was saying. She leaned back in her seat.

"I think you should just take me home." She didn't really feel like this right now. It was a stressful day and all she wanted to do was go home. "I'm too tired to go in anyway. Maybe we could get take out."

Hotohori glanced over at her. She had her eyes closed and her head leaning to the side exposing her neck to him. Thoughts of putting his lips there suddenly coursed through his mind and he had to restrain himself from the temptation. He started the car.

"Okay, where?" He was getting aggravated. He had looked forward to spending some time with her and he blew it by making a joke about Hooter's. 'Way to go,' he thought to himself.

Jenna yawned. "I really don't care." Her yawn caused him to yawn and it dawned on him how little sleep he had the previous evening. He was living on coffee and aspirin today and really need something to eat. He hadn't had time to eat anything all day. When Tasuki went to lunch, the program he had been running had crashed the whole system and it took him hours to get it back online. When it was finally running again, all the data that he had input that morning had been lost. So, he couldn't take his much-needed break. Around four o' clock he had fallen asleep at his desk and woken up at six-thirty with just enough time to finish his report and get it to Xiang before the dinner party. It was a lousy day that had just gotten worse.

They drove in silence to a taco place called Montoya's and he went inside to order. When he came out, Jenna was asleep. He quickly got on the expressway and pulled up to her apartment five minutes later. He leaned over to wake her up when she whispered his name. He stared at her. She was dreaming about him.