Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Devil With A Blue Dress On (Part Five of the Family Sagas) ❯ Part Twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own them except for the kids!

Devil With A Blue Dress On, Part 12

"I wish someone would put him out of his misery," said Jonathon as he observed Miles from his chair.

Leigh rolled her eyes. "Someone should put you out of your misery, but you're still here aren't you," she said as she draped her arms about his neck.

He turned and glared at his sometimes girlfriend. "And what was that supposed to mean, Leigh?"

"Exactly the way that I meant it," she replied as her pale blue eyes narrowed at him.

"Can't you two stop bitching at each other for one night?" asked Chris, who was still sitting with Victoria on his lap. "I mean all you two do is break up and get back together again and then some."

"Not my fault he's a baka Maxwell," Leigh said as she turned her nose up in the air.

Jonathon gritted his teeth. "And it's not my fault you're born a justice touting Chang," he shot back.

"Will you two stop it, I could see the sparks from the dance floor," said Randy as her and Donavon came back to the table. "You two need couple's therapy," she said as she sat down.

"Like you should talk," Leigh snapped.

Randy shrugged her shoulders. "At least I would have a stable relationship. But you are a justice touting Chang and my brother is a baka."

"HEY!" Leigh and Jonathon exclaimed indignantly.

The rest of the table burst out into laughter.

Randy grinned and looked over in Miles's direction. She wished she could be over there with him. She had felt his eyes on her for most of the evening. Not like she minded or anything, but she wished he could be next her and looking at her. She sighed and sipped her drink, watching him over the rim of the glass.

Miles saw Randy looking over at him. He smiled and raised his glass in the air in a subtle toast to her. He had watched her dance with his brother all evening and he was getting more and more anxious for Duo's answer and so far he hadn't even seen him. He saw Randy smile at his gesture. He had never seen her look so beautiful as she did tonight. She knew how to show herself off and she had made a definite impact on most of the men in the crowd when she danced. And it made him want to strangle every one of those men for even looking at her. "If anything, I definitely know how to choose the most beautiful woman to love," he said silently.

She smiled into her glass when she saw the toast to her. She looked over at his brother. "Donavon, would you be a love and go talk to Miles? He looks a little lonely over there," she said.

Donavon looked into Randy's deep cobalt eye and then looked over at his brother. He sighed. He couldn't say no when she looked at him like that. "All right," he said as he stood. He turned back to look at her. "Oh and while I'm talking with my brother, why don't you see if you can get Vaughn on the dance floor. He's been sitting out the whole time." He walked over towards his brother.

"Sure," Randy replied, smiling at him. She looked over at the young Winner. "Vaughn, time to dance," she said in a singsong voice.

Vaughn looked at her with wide eyes. "Randy I don't feel…" but he was cut off when she grabbed him by the arm and pulled him out of his chair.

"Don't be a spoilsport. I know you can dance and your skills are being wasted by not dancing," Randy said as she got him on the dance floor.

"Never argue with a woman, who knows kick boxing," Vaughn said, grinning slightly as he grasped her hand.

"I thought you might say that," she said as another Latin beat filled the air.

******************************************************************* ***********

Donavon walked over to his brother, glancing over his shoulder at his cousin and Randy, dancing. He looked back at Miles. "You know if you keep on staring at her like that you'll lose your sense of sight."

Miles shook his head at his brother. "And what are you doing back over here? I thought Randy was your date tonight, not our flirtatious Winner cousin," he said nodding his head towards the dancing couple.

"Your girl told me to come and talk to you and keep you company since you're all over here by yourself," Donavon replied. "And I told her to get Vaughn off his ass while I kept you company."

"Vaughn got turned down by all the girls he asked didn't he?" Miles asked, taking a sip of his drink.

Donavon nodded. "All of them turned him down in hopes of being asked by you, me, Dominic Yuy, or any of the Maxwells. But at the moment Chris, Jonathon, and David are all spoken for. You're spoken for and as for me, I don't ask. Period." He looked back towards his cousin again. "Its not like girls don't like him, many do. You should know that everything is based on looks and money at the school we went to. Vaughn might have the money, but most girls seem to want the tall dark haired strong guys like you, Dominic, and the Maxwells. I get by because I look enough like you and the girls are not discriminating. They'll take looks over money if the guy is hot enough. The Maxwell's are lucky, they got money and looks, and well, you and I have our looks."

"And Vaughn is pale haired, barely tops six feet and is on the lean side. I would hate to break it to most girls that our cousin is stronger then he looks," said Miles regarding his cousin over the top of his glass. "He kicked your ass a few times and you're bigger then he is," he smirked.

"And as I recall, Jonathon and you are the same height and weight, but he can still kick yours," Donavon smirked back. "And I also recall you saying that all three Maxwells pack quite a right hook."

"I did say that. They're all built like Duo. Tall, a little on the lean side, and they're all nothing but muscle. That's why the only Maxwell I can fight and win is with David. Only because I'm a little stronger then him," Miles stated.

"And speaking of Duo, have you seen him?" Donavon asked as he looked around at the crowd around him.

"No," Miles sighed, shaking his head, "Haven't seen him at all. He's really taking perverse pleasure out of making my life a living hell."

"Miles, he's Duo, the original devil that all four Maxwells were spawned from. Of course he's going to make you squirm. And I am sorry to say bro, you're reputation is the main reason why," Donavon said, patting his brother on the shoulder.

"So I like girls, so sue me," Miles snapped. "But you're right, my reputation with women doesn't help." He looked at the crowd again and spotted a familiar braid. "Looks like Duo's here," he mumbled.

Donavon looked over in the same direction as his brother and saw Duo pulling out a chair for Hilde that was close to the dance floor. "Well tonight may be you're lucky night, Miles. He's right over there and I know and he knows that you're dying for an answer. But if you don't want him to know how much this is irritating you, keep you're cool and wait. Patiently," he warned.

"Patiently my ass," Miles muttered under his breath. "I just wish the man would hurry up and make up his mind."

Donavon sighed. "Miles, please understand that she is his only daughter and his baby. He's probably still deliberating on it. So calm down and wait."

Miles snorted and crossed his arms. "Yeah, yeah," he said under his breath again.

***************************************************************** *************

Duo spotted his daughter on the dance floor with Vaughn. He smiled as she pulled him back for another dance. "Looks like Randy is having fun," he mentioned as he sat down across from Hilde.

Hilde looked over at the dance floor. "Yes she is. She always liked to be on the dance floor. Our girl is a show off, just like her father," she smirked.

"Me? A show off? Nah," he replied, but grinned at her as he took a sip of his drink.

"Maxwell, you've always been a show off," snorted Wufei as he and Sally sat down at the table next to them.

"Someone had to be. You're too much of a stick in the mud," Duo retorted with a smirk.

"That's my Wufei for you," Sally sighed, shaking her head.

"Oh be quiet, onna," Wufei grouched as he crossed his arms belligerently.

Hilde laughed. "Duo, behave yourself tonight. But you've always been a show off. You always liked to show off in front of me," she pointed out.

"Yeah, only because I wanted to impress you," Duo said as he grasped her hand and kissed the back of it.

"So, have you made up you're mind about Miles dating Randy?" she asked as she stirred the ice in her drink.

"I haven't been thinking about it that long. Give me a little more time," he said as he leaned back in his chair.

Wufei noticed the frown on Duo's face. "I think that's the first time I've seen you look apprehensive, Maxwell. Serves you right that you had a daughter to realize what made the rest of us so nervous about our daughter's dating," he chuckled.

Duo glared a little at him. "Of course I don't like it. But I know you like it even less because one of my sons is dating your oldest daughter."

It was Wufei's turn to scowl. "She could do better then troublemaker you got for a second born. All four of your children are crazy just like you."

"Will you two stop it!" exclaimed Hilde with exasperation. "The both of you are acting like a bunch of fifteen year olds all over again!"

"Too bad Maxwell is still there," Wufei mumbled under his breath.

"You are too you know," Sally said as she smacked him on the arm, causing her husband to glare at her. She sighed and shook her head. "You should know the more you try verbally spar with him, the more he irritates you. You've both been doing this since you were teenagers. Honestly."

"Be quiet, onna," Wufei snapped, slinking down in his chair because he knew she was right.

Duo and Hilde chuckled at Wufei's predicament. Duo looked back at the dance floor and saw that Donavon was slow dancing with Randy. He watched as they passed by. He tilted his head thoughtfully as he saw her turn under the younger Barton's arm. And just beyond the dance floor on the other side was Miles, watching Randy and his brother. He smirked, noting the jealous expression crossing his face. "Looks like he's here," he said to Hilde.

Hilde turned and looked over in Miles's direction. She could see how the young man was watching Randy as she twirled by in the arms of his younger brother. She turned and looked over at Duo. "Don't you think you should put that poor boy out of his misery?"

"Put whom out of his misery?" asked Quatre as he and Catherine came over and sat down.

"I was telling Duo to put your nephew out of his misery and let him date Randy," Hilde replied as she looked over at him.

Quatre swung his eyes towards his nephew who was several months younger then his two oldest. He saw the expression on his face and felt the jealousy coursing through him as he watched his brother dance with Randy. "You should tell him soon Duo. That Barton jealousy is not pretty to watch, especially when it's paired with that temper of theirs."

Duo shrugged. "Come on, Quatre, and I suppose you didn't deliberate whether or not to let your daughter date when she got old enough."

"Quatrina never attracted boys like my one nephew or your sons for that matter. And Mira is too young to be dating as of yet. And I'm sure she won't attract boys like Randy does. So I don't have to worry," Quatre said with a slight smile on his face.

"He's only telling you that because he doesn't want anyone to know how he reacted when Quatrina went out on her first date. He went into a panic attack," Catherine said as she squeezed her husband's hand.

"I did not!" Quatre protested, his cheeks flaming with color.

Duo snickered. "She got you there didn't she? So you freaked out, I would've loved to see that."

"Same way you're freaking out about Randy now," Quatre replied hotly as he crossed his arms. "All of us actually started betting on how you'll react when Miles kisses her in front of you for the first time. Heero, Wufei, and Zechs are all betting you'll lose your temper. And Trowa is betting that you won't react at all, and I am betting that'll you'll have an apoplexy."

Duo's mouth fell open in surprise and in indignation. "You're betting on this!" he sputtered. "That's not…"

"It's completely fair, Maxwell," smirked Wufei, enjoying his friend's look. "Justice is being rightly served. You're daughter is going to be with a womanizer just like you once were."

Duo glared at Wufei. "Thanks for reminding me, Wufei," he said darkly.

Hilde couldn't help but snicker a little. She felt bad for Duo. She knew how hard this was for him, but yet he deserved some of the ribbing he was getting from the others. He had done it to them when their daughters started dating. "Oh come on, Duo. They're only having a little bit of fun," she said softly as she laid her hand on his arm.

"At my expense," Duo muttered under his breath. He closed his eyes briefly. He had to think about this. This decision was not going to be easy to make. "This might as well be one of the hardest decisions in my entire life."

***************************************************************** *************

Randy looked over at Miles again as she sat down at the table once again. She smiled at Donavon as he sat down next to her. "So what did you two talk about?" she asked.

"Nothing of importance really," Donavon replied as he looked back at his brother.

"Probably talking about you," Vaughn said with a grin as he took the chair on the other side of Randy.

"Only a little. We were also talking about you and your lack of a date," Donavon answered as he picked a piece of the funnel cake and popped it into his mouth.

"Not my fault women want guys tall dark and handsome," Vaughn snorted as he raked his hand through his platinum locks. "Not like I would actually be interested in the shallow little flirts we go to school with," he finished as he wrinkled his nose a little.

"No you just flirt with them," Randy smirked as she looked over her shoulder at him.

"Hey I flirt with them, but I don't date them. I prefer the girls that go to the public school. At least they're not as shallow and undiscriminating as the girls that go to the private school we go to," Vaughn replied as he tugged on one of her errant curls. "And you flirt with the guys we know, knowing that your dad will never let them date you."

"I know. Since Bobby went around and told all the guys what my dad was capable of, none of them bother asking me out. But it doesn't stop them from trying to get their hands on me during school," Randy said with a laugh.

"And its not like they get anywhere that way either. I think once the guys saw you almost snap Nick Denver's wrist for trying to slip his hand under your skirt during lunch, they avoided the physical contact too," Donavon said with a slight smile. "And the fact that she had one older brother still there to make sure the guys stayed in line."

"I hardly need protection. I take kick boxing and know enough of the martial arts from Jet so I don't need a guy to protect me," Randy snorted.

"You're still a girl and you will always need protection," David said as he entered the conversation. "And it's a proven fact that most women are weaker then men, no matter how much physical combat experience they have and that definitely includes you, baby sister."

Randy stuck her tongue out at her brother. "And what do you have to say about this, Kellie?" she asked the older girl.

"I would have to agree with him. Us being girls are physically weaker, but it doesn't mean that we can't hurt them at all. We have our ways," Kellie said as she tucked a strand of her raven blach hair behind her ear.

"See, she agrees with me," David said, kissing Kellie's cheek.

Randy rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but she's a Merquise. I'm a Maxwell and therein lay a wealth of difference between the two. One I'm taller and weigh more then she does. Two she was never a tomboy like I was. Three, I made sure that I was stronger and faster then any of the other daughters, maybe except for Victoria. A guy has to be very good in order to take me down in a fight," she said smugly.

Kellie rolled her amethyst eyes. "She does have a point there. Your sister is built for the physical combat stuff. I know a little, but not like her. And have you ever been taken down by your own sister?" she asked, looking into David's blue violet eyes.

"I uh…umm…yes," David mumbled, color racing up his cheeks.

Randy snickered at her brother's red face. She looked across the table at Jonathon and Chris, who were also snickering. "I don't see why you two are laughing. I've taken the both of you down as well."

The table erupted in gales of laughter as all three Maxwell brothers slunk down in their chairs a little.

"That's sad when a guy gets beaten by an onna," Jet observed crossing his arms over the back of his chair at the table next to them.

"Oh and like you should talk little brother," Leigh smirked. "I've even beaten you once and didn't I hear you complaining the other day that Randy whipped your ass a few days ago?"

Jet's pale gold skin colored to a soft pink. "Drop dead, Leigh," he snapped.

Randy shook her head. "Oh come on, Jet, you did challenge me and I did accept. You think I wasn't going to accept your challenge? Your own dad even said I was the one onna who was worthy of taking you on in a fight."

"And coming from our dad that's a compliment," Merin said as she nodded her head.

Randy looked over her shoulder at Miles and gave him a smile. "Man, I wish dad would make up his mind and say yes to him I feel so bad for having a good time while he looks almost miserable over there."

"Hey don't feel bad. He wants you to have a good time," Donavon said giving her shoulder a slight squeeze. Now come on. The second to last dance is coming up and I intend to dance to it with my beautiful date," he said as he stood. He offered her his arm. "Would mil'lady care for a dance?"

"I would love to," Randy said as she stood and placed her hand on his tanned arm. She walked up to the dance floor with him and lightly grasped his hand with hers.

Many couples now stood and went to the dance floor. Victoria and Chris, Jonathon and Leigh, David and Kellie to name a few.

Duo looked over towards the dance floor and saw that many couples had crowded the floor. He noticed Randy dancing with Donavon once again. He glanced over at his wife. "Babe, want to dance?"

Hilde looked away from the conversation she was having with Catherine. She smiled. "Of course," she replied. "Excuse me," she said to Catherine and took Duo's hand and led her out to the dance floor. She looped her arms about his neck as his arms tightened about her waist. She snuggled against his taller and larger form.

He kissed the top of her hair as he danced with her. He kept his head bent over hers since she barely stood as tall as his shoulders. He could see Miles out of the corner of his eye.

She saw Miles as well. She leaned her head back and looked up at Duo. "Have you made up your mind yet?" she asked softly as she gazed into his eyes.

Duo smiled down at her. "Yeah, babe, I've made up my mind," he replied pressing his forehead against hers. "You look lovely tonight, did I tell you that?"

Hilde nodded. "Yes Duo, you told me that earlier before we left the house," she replied.

"Do you mind if I go over there and tell him once this dance is over?" he asked, kissing her lips lightly.

"Go right ahead. Just make sure it's the right answer mister or else you'll be reintroduced to the couch," she warned lightly.

"Don't worry I know what I'm going to say. I like my bed warm with you in it," Duo said as he rubbed his hand up and down her back. He grinned at her before pulling her close once again. He closed his eyes briefly. He felt her move closer to him. He loved having her in his arms. She still felt soft and fragile there and all it made him want to do was protect her. He would do the same for his daughter as much as she tried to tell him she could take care of herself. The song soon ended and he let her go. "I'll be right back for that last dance, okay, babe," he said, kissing her again.

"All right," Hilde said as she watched him walk towards Miles. She sighed and prayed silently for the young Barton.

"I thought I would find you here," Duo said as he stopped next to Miles.

Miles looked up and saw Duo staring at him. "I wanted to watch the dancers," he replied, his eyes unconsciously going to Randy and his brother, still standing on the dance floor.

Duo's eyes followed Miles and landed on Randy. He smirked a little. "You wanted to make sure your brother didn't move in on your territory?"

"No. I understand the friendship between Randy and my brother. I may be jealous for seeing him being the one getting to dance with her and be the one having fun with her, but that's all. Donavon has never had any intentions towards her," Miles said looking back at Duo.

Duo arched his brows in surprise and a slow smile dawned on his face. "I also take it you've been waiting for my answer too?"

"Yes, I want to know what it is. I know that you wouldn't like some of the answers I put on the questionnaire, but you wanted honest and I gave you honest," Miles replied looking at the grass beneath his feet. His emerald eyes rose and connected with Duo's cobalt ones. "But I want you to know that I would do anything for Randy and I would never hurt her in any way."

Duo grinned and placed his hand on the younger man's shoulder. "Miles I looked over the questions you answered last night and all the work that you did for me over the past week. I must admit that I am impressed. I knew that you thought I was being the biggest bastard on earth, but you still kept on."

Miles couldn't stop the smirk spreading across his own features. "I wouldn't say that. I think you were acting in true God of Death fashion. You were being the devil himself."

Duo smirked again at Miles's candor. "That's what my wife tells me. But you have to understand that the well-being and happiness of my daughter is very important to me. She's my little girl even though she's old enough to drive and do all those things teenage girls do, but she still will always be my little girl. Do you understand that?" he asked looking at the nineteen year old.

"I understand that. I know that you only want the best for her and no matter how old she is, she will still be your little girl. But I am in love with her. I swear that I am because no girl has ever made me feel like she does," Miles said nodding his head.

Duo shrugged his shoulders. "I'm glad that you do," he said as he looked back at his daughter, laughing at something Donavon said. "I just want to make sure that your intentions are entirely honorable towards Randy. You know that she wears that chastity ring for a reason. And as of now, she is still a minor where the law is concerned and where I'm concerned."

"I understand that completely too. I'm not after her for that reason at all. She may be the most beautiful woman in the world and I will not lay a hand on her. I care about her too much and I respect her for who and what she is," Miles said honestly.

A pleased smile crossed Duo's face. He could hear the strains of the last song being played. He glanced towards the dance floor where Randy was dancing with Donavon once again. "Go on and ask her to dance Miles. I give you my permission to date Randy, but you know there will be several guidelines you'll have to abide by."

Miles felt relief spread throughout his body. He shook Duo's hand. "Thank you. I promise I won't let you down," he said as he stepped up on the dance floor and walked towards his brother. "May I cut in?" he asked, tapping Donavon on the shoulder.


Randy looked up and saw Miles standing there with a huge smile on his face. "My dad said yes?" she asked, a smile beginning to cross her face.

"He said yes," Miles replied, he looked over at his brother. "May I steal your date for the last dance?"

Donavon grinned slightly. "Yes you may," he said as he kissed the back of Randy's hand and placed it in his brother's. He walked off the dance floor and stood next to Duo. "You made my brother very happy."

Duo looked at Donavon out of the corner of his eye. "And you were very good about letting my daughter go into your brother's arms."

A startled look crossed Donavon's face. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Duo turned and looked at the seventeen-year-old next to him. "Exactly how I meant it, Donavon. Not many guys let their brother's date the woman that they're in love with."

"That's ridiculous," Donavon sputtered.

"Deny all you like, but I've always known that you've been in love with Randy. You try very hard to hide it, but I know that you do. What puzzles me is why you never asked her out?" Duo asked as he watched a faint wash of color race up the younger Barton's neck.

"I…I…I knew that she would never feel the same about me. She needs a hell raiser like my brother. She doesn't need me," Donavon said softly, turning away from Duo's gaze.

Duo tilted his head thoughtfully. "You might have thought that, but you'd would have found out if you had asked. You'll never know what she might have said. You might just have been what she needed," he said, clapping him on the shoulder, "And now if you excuse me, I promised my wife this last dance." He walked over towards Hilde. "I'm back baby and I mean to give you, your promised dance," he said, bowing slightly.

Hilde smiled and took his hand. She closed her eyes as he led her around the dance floor. "I love you Duo. You made our daughter very happy," she said glancing over at Randy and Miles, who were staring into each other's eyes.

"That's all I want for her is to be happy and for you to be happy. I love you Hilde," Duo whispered against her cheek.

***************************************************************** *************

Donavon shoved his hands into his pockets. "How could he have known? I told no one," he said to himself.

"I've known," Vaughn, said coming to stand beside his cousin.

"You know because you used your empathic abilities to find that out," Donavon muttered.

"And I was right wasn't I? You tried to hide your feelings, but even Duo knew. My dad probably knows too. You're practically radiating the emotion like a space heater," Vaughn said quietly. "I'm surprised that Miles never figured it out or your parents."

"I made sure no one noticed," Donavon replied under his breath. "But you're a damned empath like your dad. You always noticed."

Vaughn chuckled. "But you know cousin just be glad that only three people noticed and not all of us. It's not your fault you get tongue tied by a certain woman, namely Randy. And now, she's your brother's girl."

"I know she's my brother's girl. I only want what's best for her and he's what's best for her," Donavon said as he turned and walked off.

Vaughn shook his head. "Donavon, Donavon, I could have told you at some point that she loved you too. You just never asked," he said, feeling a trifle sorry for his cousin as he watched him leave.

Miles was in heaven. He looked down into Randy's deep cobalt eyes. "I waited for so long to do this," he said as he turned her around on the dance floor.

"I know, me too. I couldn't be happier then I am right now," Randy said as she tightened her hand on his.

He held her tighter to him, burying his face against the softness of her hair. She smelled too good to be legal. "I love you, Randy," he said as he leaned away a little.

"I love you too, Miles," she said as she smiled up at him. She cuddled her slender form against his.

Miles kissed the top of her head. He looked over at Duo and saw that he was dancing with Hilde. They looked like they were in a world of their own by the way that Duo was holding her. "I can love her like that," he said to himself.

Randy smiled against Miles's navy blue shirt. She could hear his heart beating under her palm. This was where she wanted to be. Always. "Miles?" she asked softly.

"Yes, Randy," he replied as the song came to an end.

"You can finally kiss me in public now," she said as she looked up at him with an impish smile crossing her lips.

"Whatever the lady asks," Miles replied as he bent his head and claimed her lips in a long sweet kiss.

****************************************************************** ************

Duo rolled his eyes and shook his head. "They couldn't wait to do that in private," he mumbled. He saw the other's exchanging money on the dance floor. He smirked as he watched Heero, Zechs, Wufei, and Quatre fork it over to Trowa. He snickered. "Looks like I lost them quite a bit of money there."

Hilde laughed softly. "I would say so. Serves them right on betting that you would go bonkers when you saw Miles and Randy kiss."

"And speaking of kisses," Duo he said as he turned Hilde to face him. "I haven't given you a proper kiss all evening," he said as he leaned down and kissed her.

Hilde smiled against his mouth. "If you say so," she whispered in reply.

***************************************************************** *************

Miles lifted his lips from Randy's. "I love you, Randy. I promise I'll make you happy," he said as he traced her cheek with his finger.

"I know you will. And I love you too, Miles," Randy said as she leaned into him and kissed him again.

Author's Note: Did you really think I would've had Duo say no? Of course not! I love him too much to make him that evil. Well only one more part to go and it's the epilogue. (Sob!) So stay tuned for more! XOXO!