Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Kindergarten Heero ❯ Chapter 3

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
*****************************
Title: Kindergarten Heero
Chapter: 3/?
Author: Calic0cat <calic0cat@fastmail.fm>
Story Started: June 8, 2003
Genre: Shonen Ai/Yaoi, Drama, Romance, Fusion
Pairing: 1x2
Rated: R(?)
Warnings: AU, OOC, Swearing, Death (*not* one of the guys)
Archives: At Lev's Lair http://www.gwaddiction.com/levlair/ and at http://calic0cat.freeservers.com/ (my site) and at Mediaminer.org under Calic0cat. Anyone with archive permission for my other fics can help themselves.
Disclaimer: Duo and Heero and the rest of the GW gang aren't mine. This story is. Nuff said.

'Thinking'
"Speaking"
*** Time passing or scene change

Author's Notes: This is a fusion with the movie "Kindergarten Cop". Blame that pic of Heero with a ferret and the fact that the "Kindergarten Cop" DVD was on a sale rack and caught my attention. Feedback is appreciated.

#################################################

By the time they finally made the drive from the airport to the rental house in Astoria, Heero was actually becoming genuinely concerned about his partner. She'd thrown up until there was nothing left to throw up; she could barely even keep plain water down. She kept insisting that she'd be fine by morning but - well, he had his doubts. If she couldn't do it and he had to... A few changes in plan might be a good idea.

Heero tossed a jingle ball for his ferret to chase - okay, so bringing his pet along on an undercover assignment wasn't exactly in the rulebook but he didn't trust anyone else to look after Zero - and started jotting down a few notes.

Most important thing to possibly change - being married. If he was going to have to try to meet all the single mothers of girls in his class, the simplest way was to admit to being single. They'd descend like vultures; he'd seen it happen before. Practically every damn single woman in the department had made a pass at him when he first transferred there a few years ago and all the new employees inevitably tried too. And it wasn't just him, he'd watched other bachelors brace themselves before braving the cafeteria for the first time as well. Oh, there were probably a few women who didn't take part but they were definitely in the minority. He shuddered at the thought and hoped that there weren't all that many single mothers with kids in his class.

Was he really seriously considering pretending to be a substitute kindergarten teacher? Heero sat back and petted his ferret, enjoying Zero's contented chirps and chirrs. 'I don't really have a choice. We have to find Leia or Khushrenada may slip through our fingers again. And since he knows where she is too... Except that he has the advantage of actually knowing what she *looks* like...' They'd end up losing her as a potential witness. No, there was no choice. If Hilde wasn't fit to work yet in the morning, he was going to have to take her job. 'How bad can it be? They're just little kids and it's only kindergarten after all...'

***

Hilde groaned and flopped back on the bed weakly, admitting defeat. There was absolutely no way she was showing up to teach class today. "Good luck, Yuy," she muttered. "You'll need it." She looked him over carefully. "Oh, and lose the gun," she added.

"Hn," he grunted unhappily, shrugging his suit jacket off and removing the holster. He put his jacket back on, feeling practically naked without his weapon. "Why should I need luck? They're only six-year-olds." Rhetorically, he asked, "How much trouble can they be?"

"On second thought, better take the gun."

Heero gave her an exasperated look. "Just worry about getting yourself to the doctor," he ordered. "Once you're back on your feet, you can take over this teaching business."

Hilde waved her hand in dismissal, not commenting on his remark. 'Once he walks through that classroom door, he's stuck for the duration. We won't be able to switch without blowing our cover. He'll *have* to stay in the classroom and I'll stay on backup.' Funny, she felt better already...

***

Heero perched on the office bench and watched as a slender, handsome young man crouched in front of one of the children waiting to see the principal. The man had gathered an incredibly long braid across his knees when he crouched in order to keep it off of the floor. Heero knew that he was staring but he couldn't help himself. Something about him seemed almost familiar... Not to mention that he was incredibly attractive...

'Focus, Yuy, focus. You've got a job to do here and it does not include hitting on gorgeous male teachers. You're supposed to act interested in women so that all the single mothers will come after you so you can find Leia Barton-Khushrenada, remember?' Sensing the intent gaze directed at him, the young man gave Heero a friendly smile before returning his attention to the boy he was gently reprimanding.

"Mr. Yuy? Principal Une will see you now," the secretary called.

Heero rose and headed towards the doorway but he couldn't resist sneaking another quick peek at the teacher that had caught his attention. 'He really is gorgeous...'

A stern voice inquired sharply, "How may I help you?"

Heero turned his gaze towards the speaker. "I'm Heero Yuy. Your new kindergarten teacher," he told the woman.

Principal Une pushed her glasses up with one finger and glared. "I was expecting a Ms. Schbeiker," she observed, clearly unimpressed.

"There's been a change of plan," he answered firmly.

The principal scowled darkly and motioned him into her office. She shut the door as Heero seated himself in front of her desk. Crossing to her desk, she picked up a ruler and began tapping it steadily against the corner of the desk. "Partway through the school year, I received a call from the superintendent telling me that I would have to replace Ms. Bloom, a kindergarten teacher with nearly ten years of experience, with an undercover police officer. And he wouldn't even tell me why. I don't suppose that you would be willing to enlighten me?"

Heero shrugged slightly in apology. "I can't."

The ruler hit the desk harder and Heero suspected that he heard it crack. "You - can't. Ah." The rhythm of the ruler broke as she raised it to rap his shoulder sharply with each of her next words. "I'll be watching you." The ruler shifted back to tap the desk, more rapidly this time. "If I think that there is *any* danger to *my* kids, I will inform my parents that *you* are here because of something to do with the police and they will yank their kids out of here so fast that the place will have to be shut down. And don't you think I won't do it. Are we quite clear on that?"

"Crystal," Heero said. He was sure that he heard the ruler crack on its next tap. "There is no danger to the children," he added calmly.

Principal Une glared at him for a few more moments before laying the ruler down with a sharp click and seating herself behind the desk. "I assume that you have - some teaching experience?"

Heero met her gaze, smirked faintly, and asked, "Would they have sent me otherwise?"

***

Heero's eyes widened slightly as he followed the principal down the hallway. There was a shrill shrieking and it was getting louder. As if they were approaching its source. Along with the source of the shouting and piano banging and all the other noises that were becoming audible the further they went. Suddenly, Principal Une stopped and halted him with a hand against his chest. "Just - wait here," she said.

Obediently, Heero waited, straining to hear and craning his neck in an attempt to peer through the door that the principal vanished through. He could see the lights flickering as she called repeatedly, "Everyone sit down on the carpet."

An ominous foreboding settled in the pit of his stomach as the noise level decreased. All of that - racket - had been coming from this room?

He could hear the principal say, "Good morning everyone."

A chorus of young voices answered, "Good morning Principal Une."

'Well, they sound very obedient...' Heero thought in relief. The noise had been terrible but they *had* quieted down when Principal Une asked them to.

"Your teacher, Ms. Bloom, had to go away on an important trip for a few days," the principal began.

"Where'd she go?" a young voice demanded.

"That doesn't matter," Une's voice answered patiently.

"Did she die?" another voice asked.

"No, Helen, she went to visit someone."

"Did they die?"

"No, Helen."

"Everyone dies, you know," the girl's voice said. The calm acceptance of inevitability in that voice did not seem right for such a young child.

"I know, Helen," the principal said, her voice softening momentarily. Then it firmed again, "But not for a very, very long time."

Heero went through several meditation exercises, preparing himself for his introduction to what was obviously going to be his class. He hoped that he could be as patient as the principal was being. He hadn't realized children were so nosy and persistent even in a classroom setting.

"Now class, until Ms. Bloom gets back, we have someone special here to help. This is Mr. Yuy, your new kindergarten teacher."

Heero stepped through the door cautiously. For a moment, he was tempted to turn around and bolt out the door and back to his car. All of those small, curious faces were watching him very intently. He tried to force himself to smile broadly and hurriedly gave up the attempt as eyes widened and a few lips began to quiver. He shot a panicky glance towards the principal.

"Class, let's all say good morning to Mr. Yuy. Together, now."

"Good morning, Mr. Yuy," the class chorused.

"Good morning," he answered. 'You can do this, Yuy. They're just children...'

The panicky feeling grew however as Principal Une turned to leave, telling him, "They're all yours. I'll be watching you."

Standing there in front of the class, Heero realized that he had no idea whatsoever what to do next. 'The faster I find Khushrenada's kid, the faster I get out of here. Might as well start with that.' "Hello. I would like to start by getting to know you. I'll ask you a bunch of questions and I want you to answer them *immediately*." He scowled as several children started to whisper. "Quiet," he barked sharply. Silence returned. 'Well, that was easy...' he thought with satisfaction. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

'Where to begin...' "How many of you were born in Astoria?" he demanded. No response. The kids simply stared at him blankly. "Come on, raise your hands," he ordered. Every hand went up. That - was not very helpful. "Alright." All the hands lowered. "Now, everybody who was born somewhere *else*, like California, raise your hands," he instructed. Every hand went up again. Ooo-kay, obviously this line of questioning was not going to work.

Excited hand waving and jumping up and down drew Heero's attention to a young boy at the end of the front row. "Yes?" he said, turning towards him.

"I have to go to the bathroom," he said, crossing his legs and tugging at the strap of his overalls.

"Okay, you can go," Heero said, waving dismissively towards the classroom door.

Another child climbed to her feet and informed him, "Boys have a penis; girls have a vagina." The other children giggled as Heero stared disbelievingly at the precocious little brat.

"Thanks for the tip," he finally choked out, scowling. An insistent tugging at his pant leg drew his attention away from the girl. "Yes?"

The boy who'd asked to go to the bathroom said plaintively, "I need to go to the bathroom and I can't get these things off." He tugged impatiently at the fasteners on his overalls.

Heero bent over and tried to unfasten them. Tried unsuccessfully; the stupid things wouldn't let go. 'Why the hell would a parent put their child in clothing that they can't even unfasten?' he wondered in frustration. The entire class watched as he unsuccessfully struggled with the stubborn clasps. "Just a minute, I'll go get someone to help you," he promised. "I'll be right back," he warned, throwing a quick glance over the rest of the class. He hurried to the door and opened it, glancing up and down the hall. No one. Striding hastily to the nearest classroom, he glanced through the window in the door and spotted the attractive teacher from the office. He waved wildly, trying to catch the man's attention, finally tapping on the window in desperation. He sighed in relief as the man excused himself from the class and hurried to the door, leaving a student temporarily in charge.

"Can I help you?" the young man asked once he stepped out in the hall.

"Yes, I have a small problem..." he began.

"Mr. Yuy, I've gotta go real bad," the overall-clad boy whined as he stepped out into the hall. He crossed his legs and squirmed.

"First day?" the other teacher asked with a wry grin.

"Yes," Heero admitted ruefully. "The overall straps..."

The braided teacher nodded and grinned. "Ah. There's a definite knack to handling those. I'll take care of him." He took the boy's hand and led him down the hall.

Heero watched him go wistfully. After only a few steps, though, the other teacher paused and looked back over his shoulder. "You know, kindergarten is like the ocean. You really shouldn't turn your back on it," he warned, indigo eyes sparkling with merriment.

Abruptly, Heero realized that the noise level in the hallway was climbing drastically. He whirled to look in the room. 'Shimatta!' He dashed inside and looked around helplessly. He didn't even know where to *begin*. Kids scattering what looked like every toy in the room across the floor; kids climbing on furniture; kids *painting* on the chalkboard; kids spreading craft clay and baking ingredients all over; kids screaming and shouting; kids, kids, KIDS! Heero could feel his blood pressure rising.

Principal Une and her secretary peered through the door window. The principal shook her head in disgust and turned away. Her secretary followed, asking, "Aren't you going to break it up?"

"No. Two more days of *this* and he'll *quit*," Une said with grim satisfaction.

#################################################