Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Moments in Time ❯ First Impressions ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: First Impressions
Pairings: 1+2+1, or none, depending on what you want it to be
Warnings: Painful vagueness, potential shounen ai
Rating: G
Written for Sharon, to thank her for luring me into writing for a new fandom!



There it was again.

The Scowl.

Duo wondered if Heero realized just how intimidating he was, when his brows scrunched together and his mouth turned down into a disapproving frown. Knowing Heero, he probably didn't care. Duo wouldn't be surprised if it were something Heero practiced in the mirror, to get the right balance of disdain and danger in that glare.

But it probably came naturally. Heero certainly did not tolerate fools gladly.

And to Heero, most people were fools.

Sometimes Duo wondered if that's what Heero thought of him, as well, except that he had the benefit of having one thing in common with his sour-faced companion.

A mobile suit. Not just any mobile suit, but a Gundam.

And, he supposed, Operation Meteor, or at least that which had started out as Meteor.

Duo couldn't help being fascinated by the other pilot. He'd seen the determined look Heero had when he'd pulled the gun on that girl, Relena. He'd winged Heero, just enough to make him drop his weapon, and damned if Heero hadn't gone after his gun again.

He'd been flummoxed when Relena had thrown herself in front of Heero and berated him. That was the thanks he got for saving her life.

Had he saved her life? Would Heero have pulled the trigger?

He'd thought so at the time.

He'd thought a lot of things about Heero at the time.

Heero had seemed driven to a fault. That was true. Heero had seemed mission driven, with no regard for his personal safety. That, too, was true.

Heero had seemed callous and unfeeling.

That, Duo surmised, may have been the most erroneous first assumption he'd ever made about someone.

Duo realized Heero had turned that disapproving stare on him, and his lips automatically curved into the reflexive grin.

Just before he came back with a sarcastic retort about Heero's calling attention to himself again, he realized what he'd done. His lips froze, and he almost missed the subtle way Heero's brows drew even closer together.

Without conscious thought, his eyes met Heero's, and the two of them locked gazes. Duo's mouth went dry as he realized there was a storm brewing behind the long bangs and the angry expression.

Heero's eyes flicked down to Duo's lips, and Duo felt a smile form on them, a real one this time, not the defensive one he assumed to keep people from knowing what he really thought.

One of Heero's eyebrows lifted higher than the other, and his head tilted ever so slightly in an approximation of a nod, and then the silent boy turned and walked away.

Duo released the breath he'd been holding.

First impressions were often misleading, but that was okay.

If the fates allowed, he planned to have many opportunities to reform his opinion of Heero Yuy, and he looked forward to each and every one.