Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 13

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 13

Duo and Shane located the Bar and Grill known as Leroy's. Scattered around the streets and in the alley ways they had noticed a few street rats. Shane looked at Duo as they stopped a little way down from the entrance to the bar. "Now what?" asked Shane.

"Let's see if any of the people around here remember seeing Dave or any of the other kids that disappeared. You take that side of the block and I'll take this side. Meet me back here in an hour, kay?"

"Okay Duo." Shane plunged his hands in his pockets and went down the street to see what he could find out.

Duo watched him go and then headed in the opposite direction.

An hour later they met back up. Duo looked up as Shane approached. "Any luck?"

"Sort of."

"Let's grab a bite ta eat and exchange information." said Duo.

"Sounds good ta me. Where ya wanna go?"

Duo looked up at the flashing sign and grinned. "Why not try Leroy's?"

Shane laughed. "Okay Duo." and he followed Duo into the Bar and Grill.

While they waited for their burgers to arrive Shane told Duo what he had learnt. "A couple of the kids I spoke ta remembered seein Dave around here. They said he went off wiv a older lookin bloke."

Duo thought for a moment. "Some of the kids I spoke with also mentioned a older looking guy as well." Duo's brow furrowed as he processed the information. " From what we have so far it seems that Dave was here alright. Some of the kids that were described to me that were seen around here with the same sounding old guy could be a couple of the other rats that were found."

Shane stared at Duo. "So where do we go from here?"

"I think we eat our lunch first and then see if we can get any more on this guy." said Duo as their burgers arrived.

Working his way through his lunch Shane pondered the morning's events. Dave had been seen here talking with a guy, possibly a customer. Dave hadn't been seen since. Others also remembered seeing this same guy with other street whores. That wasn't unusual though, many of the kids sold themselves around here and those that were looking for a quick fuck knew where to come to, to get it. There were a lot of 'regulars' here. The only difference Shane could come up with this time was that the one they were currently investigating had been seen with a guy who according to Duo had also been seen with a couple of other rats that fitted descriptions of those that had turned up dead.

Duo looked up as he heard Shane groan softly. "What's wrong?"

Shane smiled. "Nothing Duo. I just feel as if my head is goin around in circles tryin ta figure this out."

"Yeah I know what ya mean." Duo wiped his mouth on his napkin and sat back. "I think it's time to talk to a couple more street kids and see if we can find out anymore on this guy."

Shane stood up and followed Duo back out onto the street. Duo paused for a moment and then began to walk with a purpose. Shane trotted along beside. A look at Duo's face kept him silent. He could almost see the wheels turning in Duo's head as he thought. So engrossed in watching Duo it took a moment for him to register that they had stopped. He looked around to see why and stared straight into the most compelling ice blue eyes he had ever seen.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Wufei sank back into his seat and sighed loudly. "Thank Nataku that we are finished with that lot."

Trowa turned and smiled wryly at the Chinese Preventer, "Why Wufei I thought you enjoyed your job."

Wufei stared back into the one emerald eye that he could see. "I do enjoy my job. It's the people I can't stand." he growled.

Trowa laughed. For all his outward efficiency and thoroughness it was nice to know that Wufei was still human. "I have to agree with you there Wufei. Some of them can be a little on the trying side."

"How some of them made it to the position they have is beyond me. They have no sense of honor and can be downright rude at times."

"Shall we go and get a cup of coffee before we return to the main surveillance room?"

Wufei pulled himself to a standing position. "Yes. I think that would be an excellent idea. I never thought I would ever say this Barton but I could really use a cup of Maxwell's coffee right about now."

Trowa smirked knowing how much it had cost Wufei to admit that to himself. Duo's coffee was legendary amongst the five of them. None of them knew how he made it, just that it was thick and rich, barely drinkable but packed one hell of a punch. The ideal heart starter when you needed to get up and go. And lets face it, after processing all these dignitaries they needed something, as their get up and go had got up and went leaving them behind somewhere along the line.

The two tired Preventers made their way to the staff canteen and the much needed coffee.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Quatre was feeling bored. He glanced around the room at all the various colony leaders and representatives. This afternoon's meeting was supposed to be to discuss the agenda and renew acquaintances. Most of the people here he knew and to say the least he found them stuffy and self opinionated. Although they were supposed to have their respective colonies and general peace foremost in their minds he wondered idly just how many of them really gave a damn.

He glanced over at Relena. The girl had changed a lot since the last time they had been thrown together in the war. She was taller and more refined but still with that air of elegance. Her voice was calm and soft and she still had that uncanny ability to make people listen to her and persuade them that what she thought and proposed was right. He smiled inwardly to himself. Yes Relena had that knack of bringing up ideas and proposals in such a way that the person she was dealing with often ended up thinking that it was them that had come up with the solutions and not the other way around.

She was certainly a charmer and didn't she know it, playing the role and twisting the more powerful leaders around her little finger. But Quatre had to give the woman her due. She did it all to maintain the peace between the earth and the colonies and not for selfish reasons as some would think. Watching her charming the pants off the senator from L1 Quatre giggled to himself as he recalled the wild side to the normally quiet spoken woman.

Who would believe that Relena Peacecraft, head of the world organization for ongoing peace, could be such a devil at times. Only he and the other Gundam pilots had been privy to Relena's other self. He recalled a time during the wars when she was with them at one of the many schools they had enrolled in. The school ball was on and somehow the punch was spiked with whiskey. Who had done it and where the alcohol came from he didn't know, but he suspected Duo was behind it. Relena had more than her fair share of punch that night and while Quatre remained sober Duo also indulged himself. A smile found it's way to Quatre's lips as he remembered the scene on the dance floor. Duo with his hair unbraided flying wildly around him and Relena equally as uninhibited getting on the dance floor together and proceeding to shock most of the other students with their rendition of dirty dancing.

If he remembered correctly those girls that weren't stunned over Relena's little display were too busy drooling over Duo's gyrating body. Oh yes, the Queen of the world could certainly lock horns with the best of them, fight dirty and still come out looking and smelling like roses.

"Quatre....."

A soft voice brought him back to the room and the present situation. He looked up to see who had called his name. "Relena." he said as he stood up to greet the girl. "It's lovely to see you again.

"And you too Quatre. I have already seen and spoken with Wufei and Trowa and must commend them both on a job well done with the security. Tell me, how are Heero and Duo?"

"They were both fine the last time I spoke to them. They are currently on Preventer business on L2."

Relena's eyes glazed over for a moment and Quatre realized she was lost in a memory, then just as quickly they cleared. "How is Duo coping now?"

The question was a fair one and Quatre understood that she was not intending to pry, merely questioning after a dear friend. "He seems to be coping just fine. Heero said the nightmares have pretty much stopped and physically he's as fit as he ever was. His personality hasn't changed, he still loves to play the fool." added Quatre with a wry smile.

"Oh yes, I remember Duo's sense of fun." replied Relena with a touch of amusement in her voice. She looked around at the people in the room. "In fact I could just use a good dose of Maxwell madness right about now."

Quatre followed her gaze and laughed quietly. "They are a bunch of stuffed shirts aren't they?" he mused.

Relena sighed. "You got that right Quatre. I think a few of Duo's home made fireworks would loosen them up a bit though."

"Why Miss Relena.... you shock me." said Quatre with a giggle.

"Ahh but you have to agree it would certainly spark things up a bit." she grinned. "Half of them have already got the sticks up their rears so all that remains is to light the fuse."

Quatre couldn't help the red flush that made its way to his cheeks. "Why Relena!" he choked out trying to stifle his laughter but only succeeding in turning it into a coughing fit.

Relena winked at him and left to play her role of charming hostess.

Quatre watched her go. "If only you all knew her like I do." he thought to himself and then turned his attention back to the L4 senator that was currently making his way across to him.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Shane stared into the most gorgeous ice blue eyes he had ever seen. A nudge in the ribs from Duo soon jolted him back and he blushed as he realized he was gaping. Shutting his mouth he tore his eyes from those that held him spell bound to drink in the rest of the form attached to those incredible pools.

She was the most exquisite creature that Shane had ever set eyes upon. A little shorter than himself with long strawberry blonde hair. Her features were delicate, almost elfin, and her slender form beneath the sweat shirt and jeans was definitely female. Shane judged her to be around fourteen or fifteen.

Duo watched Shane with amusement. He could tell the boy had fallen and fallen hard. Not that he blamed him, the creature that stood before them was just beginning to blossom into womanhood and promised to be a beauty at that.

She smiled shyly at Duo and Shane then seeming to gather her courage she spoke. "Are you the two who were askin about Dave and some of the other kids?"

The sound of her voice sent Shane weak at the knees and he was having trouble controlling his breathing rate.

Duo stepped in to save him from further embarrassment. "Yes, we are. Do you know anything about them?"

"I may be able to help you." she stole a glance at Shane.

"Ahh so the attraction is mutual" thought Duo to himself. "How can ya help us..... errr I don't even know your name."

She flashed a brilliant smile. "I'm sorry, my name is Fayah, but most of my friends call me Fay."

"Pleased to meet ya Fayah, I'm Duo and this mute kid beside me is Shane." grinned Duo as he elbowed Shane again.

Fayah smiled again at Shane. "That's a nice name." she said softly.

"So is Fayah. It's beautiful..... like you." huffed out Shane finally finding his voice.

She laughed and the sound was pure music to Shane's ears.

Watching the shy exchange Duo was reminded of just how sweet young love could be.

Fayah blushed at Shane's comment and suddenly found the concrete sidewalk very interesting.

"So you said yer may be able to help us Fay?" asked Duo.

"Well I'm not sure but I can tell you all I know. Some of my friends and I hang out around here so we see quite a bit. Lately there have been some different things happenin. I dunno if it will help you at all but ..." she trailed off.

"Lets go find somewhere to talk." said Duo softly.

"There's a small park down the next street." she replied.

"Right, the park it is then. Lead on Fayah." said Duo.

Fayah turned and Duo fell into step beside her quickly grabbing Shane's arm in the process and tugging him along with them. He could see that Shane's mind had gone on a small vacation and so he thought it best to drag the body along with them, at least then when the mind returned it would have somewhere to inhabit.

The park was small, and while not all that clean it wasn't as bad as some that Duo could recall. They sat on a bench with Fayah at one end then Duo and then Shane who was still too distracted with the visual delights to have much sense of anything at the moment.

"So what can you tell us Fayah?"

Smiling up at Duo she folded her hands in her lap and began. "A little while ago a new client showed up on the block. We didn't take a lot of notice of him at first, yer know what it's like."

"Yeah we do." muttered Shane.

Duo glanced at Shane and raised an eyebrow, "Seems the boy was beginning to return to the current world at last." he thought.

Fayah continued, "He came back quite a few times which ain't unusual but then afta he had been back for bout the eighth time that's when I got curious bout him. He always went for the younger boys."

"Lots of people have a thing for younger boys Fayah." said Duo softly as he recalled times in his own youth, times he would rather forget.

"Yeah I know but he didn't feel right." She shrugged her shoulders. "I dunno how ta explain it but something about him just wasn't right. I began ta watch him closer. I noticed he would pick up one of the kids and disappear with them. When a couple of them never came back I got suspicious. So I started ta follow them."

Duo's mind began to turn, here was someone that may just hold the key. Gently he urged her on.

"He always took them to the same hotel. I saw the kids leave a couple of times but then on some other times I never saw him or the kid leave. I thought maybe they was stayin for a while longer but then he would turn up again but we never heard or saw the kid again."

"Could you take us to the hotel Fayah?"

"Yeah no problem Duo but I dunno if yer will find anything. I haven't seen him around fer about a week or two."

Duo stood up. "Lets go then."

Fayah also stood and Shane followed them as they left the park and once more found themselves heading into the seedy world of the street whore.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero smirked to himself as he read the notes on the computer screen. His hunch had paid off. Now he knew where Doctor P had vanished to. Hacking into the records of one of the hospitals it seems Doctor P had been employed to carry out research into infectious diseases. From the official records the research had been terminated after six months and Doctor P supposedly resigned.

Heero had continued to dig and was pleased to find his persistence had paid off. The good Doctor P, so it seems to all intent and purposes, had wound up the research but there were several items missing from the lab he used as well as notes, information and other equipment. Knowing how Dr J and the others had been forced to operate during the wars all the evidence in front of him was pointing to the same thing. Doctor P had taken what he needed and gone underground to continue his research.

Heero thought hard. Where would he go? What sort of facilities would he need to continue this research? What the hell was he researching anyway? He began to type again, calling on all his hacking skills he dug deep in the attempt to find something about the doctor and his research.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Fayah stopped outside a rather run down looking hotel. The small neon light flickered and buzzed, flashing intermittently. "This is where he used to take them." she said quietly.

Duo looked at the establishment. To be honest it was what he expected. Having been forced to sell his own body to survive he was more than familiar with the types of places most of the business was conducted in. These places tended to let rooms on the hourly basis and weren't overly fussy about the general appearance or state of the rooms. Nine time out of ten they were only used for a quick fuck so as long as the sheets were changed the owners didn't care much about the general cleanliness or state of the place.

"I'll go and see what I can find out. You wait here Fayah, Shane yer coming with me." Duo had a plan of sorts. He quickly filled Shane in. They would book a room on the pretense of a quick fuck and see what information they could get from the manager.

Shane shuddered as he entered the building. He was assaulted with memories of similar places in his short but turbulent life. He tried to act casual as he waited behind Duo while Duo spoke with the man behind the desk.

The manager looked up as Duo rang the bell. Licking his lips at the sight of the long haired

American he sauntered over to the desk, that's when he spotted Shane. He leered as Duo asked him the price of a room. "Thirty credits fer the first fifteen minutes then another twenty fer each fifteen afta that. If yer leave the sheets clean yer get a five credit discount on yer next visit."

Duo reached into his pocket and withdrew thirty credits. He slapped them down on the desk. "I think fifteen minutes is all we'll need." he gave Shane a cheeky grin.

The man took the credits and reached for a key. Openly ogling the two he handed the key to Duo. "Here yer go mate, room 14, top of the stairs and turn right. Enjoy yerself."

Duo picked up the key and made a motion to leave and then stopped. Turning back he addressed the man again. "I wonder if yer can help me out?"

The mans eyes narrowed.

"I believe a guy I'm trying to find has been here a few times. Tall bloke, older looking, thinning hair with a touch of gray in it? A couple of the whores I usually take said he had been here with a few of their mates."

"Lots of people come ere mate. Mebby he has and mebby he hasn't. I don't ask fer names and they don't give em. That suits me just fine. What they gets up ta is their business an I don't wanna know, now do yer want the room or not?" The man's posture shifted.

Duo read the body language that clearly said the man knew who he was talking about but was not about to pass on any information. It didn't matter though, Duo already had his answers. "Yeah I still want the room. Sorry to trouble yer." and he took Shane by the hand and led him up the stairs to the room. Swiftly he unlocked to door and pushed Shane inside.

Shane stared around at the dingy room and followed Duo with his eyes as Duo went to the window. What was Duo up to?

Duo opened the thin curtains and lifted the latch on the window. Opening it he stretched his head outside and looked around.

Shane heard a grunt of approval come from his guardian. "What is it Duo?"

"That guy knows who I was askin about. He's just playing dumb." said Duo and then turned back to the window. "This is why Fayah didn't see the guy and the kids come back out."

Shane moved to stand next to Duo by the window. "Whadda yer mean..... oh."

Staring out the window Shane could see the glint of the metal framework that made up the emergency escape route.

"I think its time we contacted Heero." said Duo.

"Yeah I agree." replied Shane.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero jumped slightly as the small communicator began to beep. He picked it up and flipping it open pressed the button. He listened to Duo's words as his eyes widened. "That's good Duo. I think we have something here."

Heero listened again as his koi spoke.

"Hai. I have managed to track down quite a bit of information on our doctor friend as well."

Once more Duo was speaking.

"It would be best to discuss this and piece it together in a more secure place than on the airwaves Duo. I'll meet you back at the hotel."

"This time there was a silence.

"Duo?"

Heero's eyes widened yet again and then a small smile crossed his features softening the hard lines as he absorbed Duo's next few words. "Hai. See you soon." and he switched the small machine off. Still smiling he mused over the bombshell Duo had dropped. They were bringing someone back with them... someone Duo said that Shane had completely and utterly fallen for.... someone that had helped them out.... of all things a girl.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

John Hornsby watched as the long haired man headed up the stairs with the younger whore behind him. As soon as they had passed from within earshot Hornsby went to the vid phone and punched in a code. The screen flickered and cleared, a pair of cold gray eyes stared at him impasively. "Sorry to call yer Mr Taylor but there's something I think yer should know."

Taylor raised his eyebrows. "Oh, and what is that?"

"There's a young bloke just hired a room off me for a quick fuck but he was askin some funny questions."

"What sort of questions?"

"He asked about you. Wanted ta know if I had seen yer here and stuff like that. I didn't tell him anythin though."

"Good." Taylor's hand swept through his hair and he frowned. "Any idea where he's from?"

"Nah but he wasn't too badly dressed. Come ta think of it the whore he had with him was pretty well dressed for a rat."

Taylor contemplated for a moment then, "Hornsby, get one of the boys to follow him. I want to know where he lives and what he is up to. Report back to me as soon as you have an address for me."

"I'll get right on to it." and Hornsby severed the connection. He had a couple of boys that worked for him. They generally cleaned and did the dirty jobs around the hotel. Shuffling through to the back of the office he yelled for one of them. A scrawny kid of about 10 appeared and Hornsby gave him the details.

With the kid dispatched to tail the braided man Hornsby was free once more to place his sweaty body in the chair and resume watching the television. Although the pictures were there Hornsby's mind couldn't focus, he continuously came back to Taylor. While he didn't care for the other man he had to admit he had been a good customer. He paid extra for the room and gave Hornsby a generous tip to keep his mouth shut. The sound of a key being deposited on the counter brought him from the room. The long haired man passed the key back.

"Thanks mate." said Duo, "We left the sheets clean for ya too."

Shane did his best to suppress the smirk he felt creeping to his face as he followed Duo back out to the street.

Quickly scanning the area Duo's eyes alighted on Fayah's form a little way down the street. Shane also spotted the girl, pleased to see she had waited for them. Fayah looked up as they approached, the questions evident in her clear blue eyes.

"Did yer find out anythin?" she asked looking hopeful.

"Yeah we got a bit of information." replied Shane as he tried to control his feelings again.

"We're heading back to our hotel to discuss our findings with my partner." said Duo. "Would ya like to come with us Fayah?"

Fayah looked around nervously.

"It's okay Fayah, Duo and Heero are good people. They wont hurt you or demand anything from ya. 'Sides I will be there ta keep an eye on yer." Shane scuffed the ground with his sneaker. "I'd also like ta get ta know yer a bit better too if that's okay?"

Fayah watched and listened to Shane with a small smile on her lips. "Yeah okay. I'll come with yer. Dunno what it is but I feel's I can trust yer all."

Shane smiled shyly and held out his hand to the girl. His heart hammered in his chest as she gently placed her own inside and curled her fingers around tightly.

Duo watched the tender exchange with amusement. "Yep the boy had it and had it bad." he thought. "Mind you Fayah also seemed to be totally smitten." his mind supplied helpfully. Pushing the thoughts of Shane and Fayah's romantic notions to the back of his mind he turned to go back to the hotel, pleased to see that the teenagers followed behind still holding hands.

A pair of eyes watched silently as the trio moved off. Sliding out from his hiding place the small boy followed at a distance, flitting in and out of the shadows as he tailed his quarry all the way back to a rather nice looking hotel. With the information he needed he quickly scurried back to the shabbier side of town.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~