Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ WaStElAnD ❯ InConVeNiEncE ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Here we go again. Welcome to the

WASTELAND by Hate Dept.

The shit I said in the first goes with the second. I still don't own GW though I got some people in the Dept. looking for some loop holes. No luck yet. Hmmm.

D: Dude you are so fucken stupid

HD: Man I swear you keep talkin shit and you ain't gonna survive this chapter.

D: Bring it on you fuckin hack

HD: (grabbing Duo) `ey Lil Man get the rope. Donny j grab that home made bomb we got. Oh and Gabe, you best get `arry down here with some beer cause we gonna have us a Barb BQ.Mwahhh..

Chapter 2: Inconvenience

"What the fuck are you two doing here." My tone wasn't exactly nice, man I wished I wasn't drunk.

Wufei raised his blackened eye brow at me. He looked about the same. His black hair pulled tight into a ponytail. He was in a black chinese tailored suit. His black eyes calculating, studding, focused on me. Yeah I knew what he was seeing. My body covered in a thick coating of grime. My long chestnut braid half coming out of it's binding tinted red at the end from the damn sand in the water. And my violet eyes, half blood shoot from all the drinking. Yeah I was lookin hot. Ha.

My gaze slipped to the cold cobalt that also studied me like it would memorize this moment. Like he always looked trying to take in every damn detail. He was the exact same. Mess of dark brown hair, hard eyes, only his dress had changed. He was in one of the black mechanic outfits me and Manny refused to wear. Manny always wore overalls with his tan work boots and a blue button up shirt under neath, which would change color and once in a great while or be flannel. He reminded me of a lumber jack.

"Zechs told us he needed help." Heero said blandly like that explained everything.

"And you had nothin better to do, right?" I said rolling my eyes.

I don't know why I was so mad, okay so I did. I came here to get away from them. To get away from all the piolets. Do something myself alone. This was my place. These people knew me as Duo Maxwell, a punk ass kid who was an amazing mechanic. Deathscythe was a dream to them. Shinigami never existed. Since I'd been here I hadn't heard nothin about the war. We were a dysfunctional family and we didn't need anymore mouths to feed. This was my territory. I didn't always have to be the idiot and I was respected. None of these people nitpicked about what I did or how I acted. None of them ever got annoyed. Well maybe the Ripper, but he was a dick. I didn't want this. I didn't want him here.

"Couldn't find any jobs on earth." I fought the urge to turn away at my own rude ass comment.

Wufei cleared his throat.

"Being ex-gundam piolets didn't give many employers a positive view to say the least. And from what we heard from Quatre this was quite a place to be."

I smiled half heartedly, "Yeah, it is if you like living in Hell." I turned to Zechs knowing, oh yeah, he was glaring at me. "Its alright Mr. He...uh I mean Zechs, it ain't too bad."

"You and Manny still using that name I see." I laughed again picking up my beer bottle and setting it on the table.

I gave Zechs a nod letting him see I wasn't exactly happy with this arrangement.

"Well, I'm glad you guys are here. I mean it's nice to see ya and all," I turned away from them "but I got shit to do, so see ya."

"Duo." I stopped. Closing my eyes. That voice. God how I missed hearing my name from Heero's lips. How I wished to never hear it again. I guess I also hoped the feelings would fade with him. I still thought about him, but not every day, like once a week when I had some time alone to relieve a bit a...tension. I shook my head trying to get rid of the thoughts. It wasn't so bad when I didn't have to see him.

"Yeah." my voice sounded so tired.

"I would like to see some of the machines you built." I turned back to them. There was no humor no cheesy ass grin. Just uncaring dead eyes. I know I was being cold.

"Ride the elevator to the lower levels. There's about twenty I built solo an' the rest I just helped." I walked to the elevator waiting for it to come up. Zechs came in glaring at me.

"That was an awful cold welcome to two of your former allies." I looked at Zechs the words just coming from my mouth.

"I didn't want to see any of them. They would have never known I was here if you didn't email Quatre. You know how I left. Everything was so perfect here. Now it will be different." I leaned my head on the wall next to the elevator. "I didn't want to see him. I don't think I ever wanted to see him again." I felt Zechs' hand touch my back.

"Tomorrow you can show Heero around, he'll understand. Get some sleep and sober up. You can talk to them then." The elevator opened and I slipped in as Zechs walked away. The doors closed and I headed for my room.

"Was I just talking to myself." I wondered out loud. It was like Zechs payed no attention to anything I said. The elevator stopped and I had to fuck with it again to get out. Oh, I know it was out to get me as most things were in this place. I went in my room pulled off my boots and fell face first on my bed instantly swallowed into sleep.

I groggily woke up stumbling to the bathroom taking a piss from the hall, I wasn't lien when I said my room was small. I rubbed my head with my other hand.

"Fucken Lil Man and your home made shit." my brain was pulsating. I washed my hands in the sink along with my arms and face. Adding some more deodorant and grabbing my tooth brush. I brushed my teeth moving into the kitchen while making some coffee. Rinsing out my all purpose coffee cup that I don't think I had actually washed with soap in a year. I poured a cup and walked back to my bed to relax. The tooth brush almost feel out of my mouth along with the cup from my hand.

"Shit man." I said placing my hand on the bottom of the glass. "Fuck Heero you can't do that shit. You scared the fuck out of me. When did you get here?" Heero looked me up and down.

"From your condition Wufei and I figured it would be good to check on you."

"So you decided to stay. Why would I need to be checked on, shit I drink more than that usually. You guys worried bout little Duo huh." I said smirking.

"Neither of us knew of your drinking habits since you drank very little when you lived with us. I decided it was pointless to leave since I would be coming back soon so I slept here." He was sitting on a chair at the end of my bed. Nothing comfortable at all. My heart thudded in my chest. He was so close to me and I was passed out.

`Focus!' I mentally yelled as I rubbed my hand through my bangs feeling tired again. I had to get over this shit. I sipped on the coffee letting it cool a bit and drank it down. I ran over everything I'd been doing, what we had built, the problems with everything. Heero looked me dead in the eyes.

"Why did you leave and not tell us? You took nothing from your room and left us nothing to go on." I chuckled a bit as I grabbed the rum from my fridge and dumped it in my coffee.

"How long did it take you two to figure out I wasn't coming back? And it was you two living with me." I clarified. Heero looked at me with a quirked brow since I only had a sip of coffee and filled the glass up all the way.

"Hn." Heero replied as I swigged half it down.

I stood up and went to the com. ending any further conversation. Yeah, so I more ran away then actually dealt with anything. Hey fuck it I got paid for running and still do so haha. I punched in the numbers and held the button down.

"Big D to Lil Man, Big D to Lil Man. Mr. Hex commands servitude." The com went to static then the big lumbering voice cracked through.

"Aye captain and Rippers lookin for some fresh ass. See ya in 5." I pulled my black shirt from my pants and went out the door. I forgot Heero was even there until we reached the elevator.

"Oh shit sorry, morning ritual forgot you were here." I said hitting him on the shoulder with a smile as we got in the elevator. He looked at me with a blank face. I rolled my eyes while I hit the button sure he wouldn't see. I was already falling into old pattern with him. Once Manny was around I knew everything would be a little easier. The door opened Manny's fist came towards me and everything fell into blur.

"Fucken A." Manny yelled as the big man was hunched over his hand halfway up his back held by Heero. I stared in shock forgetting how strong Heero really was.

"Dude what the fuck? Let him go." I said moving to push Heero with both hands. I found my face planted to the wall my hands crushed under my chin and Heero pressed against me. One hand pinning my head the other in clear view on the wall. My heart pounded. His chest rose against my back and his breath burned on my ear. I felt his grip on my hair relinquish, but his body stayed pressed to mine. My mind shut down. I could almost see all my alter egos screaming. It reminded me of the colony in the early stages.

Constant screams of "system down! System down!" Alarms blaring lights flashing. "We're crashing! Some one get down here!" Did I want to move? The down fall question. I did ..no..yeah..na...yes...nnnn...Manny's laugh echoed through the hall and Heero moved away from me.

"Ah, I get it. So is this yer new bo." Manny's words full of laughter. "Aye he's a ruff one, perfect for ya Big D."

Holy fucken embarrassed. I couldn't even look at Manny til I got some baring on my beat red face. Most people would think it was anger, but Manny would know even though he's only embarrassed me a good 650 times and made me mad maybe twice. My face slightly cooled and I nailed Manny's arm with a few punches.

"Fuck you Lil Man!" I nodded over my shoulder where I knew Heero would be lurking, it was the best place to view our exchange. "Mr. Hex made him my tag along for the day. Thinks he can handle my job." Manny glanced at Heero

"Hmm does he. Ha, well I'd like to see that." Manny turned fully to Heero as I hit the button on the stray elevator. "It'll be hard for you to sit around and drink as much as Big D. He's got a lotta practice at bein good fer nothin." The elevator opened and we slipped in, Heero moving towards a back corner behind me.

"Dammit Lil Man, your gonna scare him off talkin like that. Shit I don't think he'd ever be able to handle the work load." Manny and I laughed until the elevator came to a stop.

We slipped out. Manny handed me a bag.

"Cindy told me ta give this to ya." I opened it pulling out an egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich on toast. "Ya know how she is bout you eating breakfast."

"Shit yea, every time I miss breakfast there, she has a fucken kid." Manny laughed at that.

"Naw I don't think she'll have anymore kids after the two of us." I grinned and nodded stuffing my face with the sandwich, which was good as hell. Cindy was one hell of a cook and I loved going there. Manny and her always treated me as if I lived there. I think she got a little mad when the two of us would pass out, me on the floor and Manny on the couch, after drinkin a bit too much, but she always assured me it was alright. I also liked staying there cause they had a way bigger place than mine since there was two of them. Kitchen, bedroom, 2 bathrooms, and a living room. I didn't need that much, it was nice to visit not stay.

"Duo Manny, I'm glad the two of you are here and sober. Now you can actually fix 59685 since it broke down again."

"Mornin to you too Ripper. See ya haven't done shit again." I sneered at his too clean clothes.

"If I must remind you again Duo." He spoke as if I was a neanderthal. "My job is to make sure you animals work"

"Whoa, look at that Lil Man, we movin on up from maggots to animals. Shit do we get to be mammals today. Oh! Oh, I wanna be a monkey. Oh, please Ripper, please." I said in a sardonic tone.

"One more word Duo and I'll have you cleaning the pits all day." Ripper threatened in his high pitched angry voice.

"Really...you actually..." Manny stepped up behind me putting his hand over my mouth.

"`s all right Jonny. We're heading there now."

"No it's not. Both you are cleaning the pits today and..."

"Hey Johnathin, I've been looking for you. Your shifts over I'll take it from here." The soft voice filled the loud entranceway. Ripper spun to the voice. I smiled looking at the figure coming through the waves of heat. He was a bit taller than me but not much thicker. His hair was short and blonde. He reminded me a lot of Quat with his small voice that commanded respect. He also wore goggles on his head much like Quat had when he was fighting in Sandrock.

"But Donovan"

"No you're well beyond your 12 hours now go." The Ripper glanced back at us, but left along the metal walk way.

"Donny j, thank God your ass is here man one more minute and I would of."

"Duo you gotta quite giving him so much shit." Donovan placed his left hand on my arm. I smiled at his warm look. Manny laughed behind me

"Yeah thad be the day. But I'm tellin ya if I ever end up cleaning the pits with you again I swear I'll fucken kill ya."

"Shit Lil Man it's only been a few times."

"Ha yeah try 306 and each time set by the Ripper cause your damn mouth." I shrugged. He started it.

"You guys want some help on the down heating unit." Donovan asked. He knew we'd let him come and do what he could. I think that's why he almost always got us out of tight spots like that when he could. Three years ago he got his right arm tore off by one of the turbines. Gabe, his partner, had been out sick so he was alone and it was a good three day job. He decided to take a nap on the third day and the turbine started running. At least it was only his arm.

Zechs upped him to duty officer or whatever the hell they were called. I liked to refer to em as chore masters, since all they did was tell everyone else what to do. But Donovan always wanted to help out, just now he couldn't. With most these machines you needed eight hands four was sometimes barley enough.

"Not really, but we always need another for a good few hours of bullshitin. Ah wait but only on one condition." I said narrowing my eyes at him. He gave an exaggerated sigh.

"Of course. Gabe got it from Harry. He'll bring it down by the time you're done with the heating unit." Donny was the shit. He held no hard feelings towards Gabe and what happened to him. It just wasn't his style, how could I not be friends with the guy.

"Gabe's the man." I grinned. And he was. When Donovan was raised in rank Gabe got hooked up with some racist who used to rag on him for being black, that ended quick as it started. Gabe was about 6 inches shorter than me, but nothin but muscle. Even I wouldn't fuck with him. He ended up beating the fuck out of the skinhead. Zechs sent him back to L2 when I swore he wouldn't live another 24 hours here.

Gabe and Harry had gotten together shortly after they met here, although Harry was one of Zechs butlers. The only one I actually liked and knew. It was cool that Zechs had about three of them so Harry actually got some time off to spend with Gabe. Harry had an accent straight out of England, well that's what he called it. An English accent. He was a pretty cool guy. A little to much the queen for me, though he did have a nice look. A lot like Zechs, but with dark hair and eyes. They were quite an odd couple Gabe short, skin dark chocolate, and a nice fro to go long with it. Harry tall and graceful, skin a pale white, and long deep brown flowing locks. They were a riot to drink with. Hell today was gonna be sweet. Manny, Donovan, Gabe, and I shootin the shit gettin drunk. Ha, yeah.

"Is anyone else going to be accompanying us to fix one heater." Heero's voice carried an edge of annoyance to it. I couldn't help the half snarl that came over my face as I looked at Heero, my plans like clean white snow being plowed into a dirty mass of salt and corrosion. Heero raised an eyebrow at my obvious malice towards him.

"Oh hey I forgot about that guy." Manny laughed. "He's a quite one."

"Yeah, Donny j this is Heero. He wanted to check out some of the machines I made." The anger faded to monotone boredom.

"Heero, that's your bo's name huh." Manny elbowed me in the side. That bastard always knew how to make me laugh. Donovan nodded and we walked out on the metal walkway. The room was about he size of the queen of the worlds whole mansion and then some. The walkway was in about the middle of the room. On either side were two of the oxygen turbines. Each one spanned farther than the eye could see.

"These ones I helped build, mostly just checked em over after they were done and built the computers to run em and the back ups." Heero leaned over the railing staring in what looked to be half-interest, but I could tell he was half shocked. With Heero you had to look through the dull eyes for the smallest of glimmer. That's all you'd ever get. I got tired of trying to find it for me. I could still read him like too many of my over used mangas.

"There are about 14 more rooms like this one scattered on the lower floors. In the lower part of the colony are the controls for opening it up once Mars stabilizes. Duo is so humble though.... at the base of this whole tower is the gravitation room. No one can gain accesses now but Duo. I remember the one time I saw it. It was such a beautiful machine. Without it Zechs would never have a chance. Mars has only .38 gravity, but with Duo's machine it's almost the same is earth, .9658. I can't wait for that day. When we can actually live here like Earth and have our own world. Zechs will always be remembered for this...even if it fails."

"Whoa there Donny j. Your gettin a little to flighty buddy. Shit sounds like you wanna piece of Mr. Hex." I laughed. Donovan just shook his head.

"Thanks, but I have my hands full with Julie."

"Yeah she is a piece of work." Manny sighed, "Specially when she's with Cindy."

"What I wouldn't give to get between those two." I said acting serious. Then the three of us had a good laugh.

"I take it you built those controls for the opening of the colony." Heero's cold voice broke in. "I would like to see the gravitation.."

"No, noone will ever go down there again unless there's something wrong with it. And only me at that time." My voice was stern. Heero growled turning on me face blank.

"Duo built it, but we were on a tight schedule so Mr. Hex sent some guys down there to help put the rings up. Each one is polarized different so you can't so much as touch them" Manny went quiet. I glared hard at Heero as I finished.

"Shit got fucked up as usual. There was a major explosion and bout 250 people got killed." I took a step closer to Heero. "I rebuilt it all. Now no one goes there but me. There's nothing to see there but frozen bodies in the throes of death, melted into the walls." I turned from him wanting to punch him in the face for his ignorance. For making me remember the horrid nightmare. Silence fell over for us as we walked on.

"What else have you done?" Heero's voice was almost a whisper

"Some of the heating and cooling units." I half growled, glowering at the floor.

"But let's not forget you're second greatest creation. Mr. Hex's master controls." Manny said. Patting his hand on my back making me look up into his grinning face and forgetting my anger to give into a matching grin. I turned to Heero who was staring at me expectantly.

"It's just a master computer to run most this shit and calibrate temps and stuff. I also built some of the electrical systems for lights and shit."

"You've been busy." Heero stated looking over the at the machines again.

"Yeah." I shrugged. Manny nudged me handing me his flask. I looked at it then him. "That homemade shit." He nodded with a smile. "Why not." I didn't bring anything with me so down the hatch, it was better than dealing with Heero. I fell over coughing again as I took the biggest gulp I could hold and trust me with my mouth that was a lot.

I heard the beep and static. "Donovan, did you find Duo and Manny yet?" Donovan put the walky-talky up to his mouth.

"Yeah just found them." he said with a shit eating grin on his face.

"Tell them to get over to 59685 the complaint are non stop, electrical in levels 287 through 327 are on the fritz, levels 6-21 aren't getting hot water. The elevator in oxygen level 3-8 is down, and Sweet and Dice fixed the pumps in levels 4-3 through 4-20 so they'll have to redo them."

"That all."

"That's all we got for them now, but remind Duo he's on call." I grabbed the device from Donovan.

"When the fuck aren't I on call. Shit you're just saying that cause you might be wantin to get dicked down by the one and only ain't it Shakia." Three out of four us laughed as the talkie clicked off. Man I was always vulgar to Shakia. She had such a sweet and innocent voice, I couldn't help my self.

"Dispatch out." Her voice was touched with laughter. That's also why I fucked with her, cause she new it was a joke. Though I always wondered what she looked like. I just never got around to meeting her. Manny pushed me down the walkway as we began our trek.

"You say som' a the nastiest shit."

"Yeah, but it was damn funny huh?" We walked, passing Manny and Donovan's flasks between us, the two of em yellin at me for not having one, but knowing it was so I could drink all there liquor. Callin me a fucken leech. Heero was quiet, but I could feel his eyes boring into my back watching my every movement.

"It's gonna be wet here." I warned over my shoulder as we moved into the water which was now half way up my upper arms. Manny and Donovan took their respect spots on top of the heater. Manny got Heero up there some how too. I didn't blame him. The water was freezing today. I was cool Donny was on and came with us cause I needed the goggles since I had to spend a good portion of my time underwater. It was nice that both Manny and Donovan offered me their flasks when I came up for air. Not to mention the view coming up below Heero. Dammit I had to stop with that shit. I finally finished and to my surprise and the others, Heero offered me a hand with my final kick to the machine and pulled me out of the water.

"Thanks." I said half heartedly with a shiver. "Fuck that waters cold." Manny handed me his flask. Instead I took Donovan's who was sitting behind Manny.

"Sorry Lil Man, but Donny j's got some Johnny Walker wisdom I can't pass up."

"Yeah, I see how it is, need that pussy drink eh." I nodded as my adams apple bobbed with an eye watering chug. I sighed out the burning handing it back to Donny j. I knew Heero was staring at me. I turned to him. I could hardly believe what I saw there. A small quirk of the lips, but there never the less. A frown. I shook my head as I turned to the others. This ass is going to come to my fucken place and look down on me for who I am. What the fuck ever. Fuck him then.

"Don't you have other things to take care of." I couldn't hold back the laugh. Of course, he doesn't care what I do as long as the mission is complete.

"Yeah I gotta a lot a shit to do, and I got about 24 hours to do it."

"What?"

"I said I got 24 hours to do it. I work 24 hours and sleep some and do it again."

"You only slept two hours last night." Heero said blandly.

"That's what Big D usually does. I'll take off in about ten, sleep some be back in bout six, work with him some more till he crashes in about another ten, then back to it. The guy looks at his clock, fact it's right next to his bed as big as his room is, but I swear those numbers never get into his head." Manny and I laughed.

"When was your last day off."

"Ha." We all turned to the thick gruff voice and there in a mechanics uniform was Gabe with a case a beer in his hand. He handed me the 12 pack of Bass Ale and jumped up next to Donovan.

"This mother fucker take a day off, shit. Last one had to be two years ago. Sup Donny j. Lil Man Big D. And who the fuck are you?"

"This is Heero he's suppose to be given me one of them days off."

"Does that mean I get to be his partner. Don't worry Big D I won't do anything to your bo." Manny said with a grin.

"Lil Man I swear your life is gettin shorter and shorter."

"Zechs thought that would be the best plan, as you are familiar with what Duo is doing. He wants Duo down as soon as possible." I turned to Heero.

"What do you mean he wants me down." I spat towards him. Showing him that I was pissed and not even playing with him. It was something I knew Heero never saw from me. Not true anger. And never directed at him. I heard the others behind me shifting.

"Uh Duo, we're gonna take our lunch break." Manny said. I heard him and half nodded waiting for Heero's answer.

"You're over worked and he feels you need to take a few days to a week to relax." Heero said finally looking at me.

"So that's why you're here, gonna replace me and fuck up all my shit. Turn all my machines into yours. Out do me as usual. Fuck that. Why don't you go back to earth or did the Queen of the world, Ms. Relena, kick you off her precious planet." Heero's hand grabbed my shirt his eyes filled with fury. I leaned in close to him.

****Enter porn Music. HEH.

H: What the fuck are you doing HD.

HD: holding a tied up ducked taped bomb strapped Duo and you.

W: I refuse to take part in this.

HD: (grabbing Fei and taping him to Duo) Hey if ya can't duck it fuck it right.

H: What ever you say I'm fuckin outta here.

HD: come on you know Duo will taste all good. Bwahahahah

H: Double meaning funny. Real funny….