Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Waves of Influence ❯ Underworld ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own Gundam Wing…. *cries*
 
Chapter 2
Underworld
 
October 23rd, AC 203
Heero walked into the large apartment the Preventors rented on L2-CR06. Only two of the other four Preventors were there at any given moment. They listened into conversations from a restaurant where Underworld leaders, even from the other colonies, were known to meet and discuss important events. One of the trained infiltrators had managed to get employed there during the first week of the mission. Her job got the Preventors a lot of information about Underworld dealings. However, neither the L2 nor L5 leaders had come to the restaurant in the past two months. “What do we have for today?”
The older of the Preventors looked up at their leader. “The owner of the restaurant seemed nervous today. Seems the L5 leader is coming to eat there tonight.”
“That's good. Is Agent DeTemple working tonight?”
“Yes, sir. In fact, the owner wanted her to serve the leader.”
“Excellent. We'll equip her with the contacts with a camera installed. Then, we'll get some pictures of the L5 Underworld leader.”
 
----------
 
That night, the plan fell apart. The contacts malfunctioned, and no images of the L5 leader could be taken. However, the wire the young woman wore did work. Heero and the other three Preventors monitored all of the conversations occurring inside the restaurant.
The door opened and closed. “Welcome to the Landing, sir,” the owner said calmly. “Kaylyn DeTemple will be your waitress tonight.”
“Follow me to your table, sir.”
“How long have you been working here?” a strange voice said.
“Only about two months, sir. It was an honor to serve the L5 leader.”
“Well, sorry to tell you this, but Dragon had to attend important business on L5. He couldn't come today.”
“Well, that's too bad. The food here is excellent.”
“He sent us to keep the L2 Underworld under control.”
Esther was silent for a while. She took their orders and brought them their drinks. Soon four other Underworld members came. “Fox and Dragon are meeting on L5 right now. I hear that the L1 Underworld has tried to instigate the L2 members still loyal to the old leader into a rebellion. Reinstate him.”
“Fox is young, but he's got experience under his belt.”
“There's no way this will end well.”
“L5 has pledged their support for the L2 Underworld. Remember you're not alone in this.”
 
----------
 
November 2nd, AC 203
Heero strode down the hall of the Preventors building. Commander Une wanted him in her office immediately. It naturally made him worry. He opened the door and walked into the office. “Agent Yuy,” the woman began, “I want you to co-lead a raid on the L5 Underworld base with Agent Barton.”
“The targets?”
“The L5 and L2 leaders.”
“…Very well.”
 
----------
 
November 6th, AC 203
The dozen Preventors pressed themselves against the wall, waiting for the signal to attack. They could hear the Underworld members talking inside calmly. There was no sign that the raid had been leaked.
Heero gave the signal, and the two pilots led the other ten Preventors into the house. “Preventors! Nobody move!” Trowa yelled. Heero noticed a few members escape out the back. “Heero, you're with me!” The two pilots followed the escaped Underworld members out into the night.
The fugitives had a large lead on the Preventors, and they moved quickly. Heero swore softly in Japanese when he saw them split into two groups. “Heero, go after the second group! I'll get the other ones!” Heero went east; Trowa went north.
Two of the fugitive members suddenly stopped and opened fire on the Preventor. Another couple kept running. Heero quickly dispatched the attackers and continued on after the two that escaped.
The chase lasted a few more minutes until finally Heero cornered the two Underworld members in a dark dead end. “Put your hands where I can see them!” he ordered.
“Get back, sir!” the taller of the two members yelled. He pushed the leader back against the wall behind some cover. Heero immediately shot the man. His head snapped back with the force of the bullet, and his body collapsed to the ground. Heero walked down the alley. He turned the corner to arrest the remaining fugitive.
“I wish you hadn't done that, Yuy.” The voice made Heero pause. The fugitive sat on the ground, his hands in the air. The L5 leader wore a pitch black coat over traditional Chinese robes. Black hair was tied back into a tight ponytail, and obsidian eyes watched Heero's every move.
“Wufei…”