Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Supernatural Magic ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
 
Chapter 11
 
“Look, we still have the Colt. We still have the one bullet left. We just have to start over, all right, I mean, we already found the demon—“ Sam spoke up. But he never finished as an enormous eighteen wheeler slammed into the side of the Impala, sending it careening off the road. Sam was vaguely aware of Evan moving to cover Dean in the back seat, some sort of blue light surrounding them and then everything went black.
Sam slowly opened his eyes; ignoring the slick feeling of blood he could feel covering his face. He turned his head and saw that John was out cold and raising his gaze to the rear-view mirror it seemed like Dean and Evan were out for the count too. He watched as the truck driver approached and then tore his door off of the Impala.
 
“Get back. Or I'll kill you, I swear to God.” Sam threatened.
 
“You won't. You're saving that bullet for someone else.” The driver answered. Sam raised the Colt and cocked it.
 
“You wanna bet?” The possessed man raised his hand only for it to hit a shimmering blue field that flared up to surround the car. He stepped back and screamed, a cloud of black exiting from his mouth. As the driver fell to his knees Sam tucked the Colt away and then lay back in his seat exhausted.
 
“Oh my God.” The man said as he staggered to his feet.
 
“Dad?”
 
“Did I do this?”
 
“Dad! Dean? Dean! Evan!”
 
“No offence but shut up.” Sam tried to turn in his seat as the groggy voice answered him but he didn't have the energy.
 
“Evan?” He called shakily and a hand reached over the seat to squeeze his shoulder.
 
“Present and wishing I wasn't. You okay?” Sam could feel Evan moving around behind his seat.
 
“I think so. Dean?” Evan didn't answer for a bit, obviously checking Dean over as best he could.
 
“Looks like his head bounced off the window pretty hard and he's still bleeding from what the demon did. He needs a hospital Sam. Your Dad?”
 
“Out cold.” Sam answered.
 
“Right, think you can shift forward? I'm going to try and climb out round you.” Evan told him and Sam let himself slide forward. He winced as Evan kneed him in the back, accepting the muttered apology as he friend came into view, looking like he'd ended up on the wrong end of a fight.
“We safe?”
 
“Demon's gone. The driver?” Sam tried to look around but Evan restrained him lightly, doing it himself.
 
“Looks like he's using the radio to call for help. Try not to move too much, don't want to risk making things worse.” Evan gently cleaned some of the blood from Sam's face. Sam managed a shaky smile for him.
“It'll be okay Sam. Just try to rest, I'll make sure you're safe.”
 
----------------------------------
Harry stood and couldn't help smiling at the two familiar figures that were walking towards him.
 
“Cub!” Remus grabbed him tightly, making him wince, something Poppy didn't miss.
 
“Let me take a look at him first Remus. Is there a room we can use?” She ordered and Harry relaxed as the nurse took charge.
 
“The doctor, I told him I had my private doctor coming and refused treatment till you got here. Don't feel like being prodded by a muggle doctor when some of what's wrong is magical exhaustion.”
 
“You did the right thing Harry dear.” She answered and went to ask about a room.
 
“Remus I need a favour.”
 
“Anything.” The werewolf answered immediately.
 
“My friends are here too. Dean's in there.” Harry pointed to the room he'd been sitting opposite.
“Sam's being patched up in the ER but he'll be released once done and Johns' in the room at the end of the hall. Protect them? We may have demons after us. If the doctors want insurance or anything give them this.” Harry held out a credit card.
“It'll cover all medical expenses.”
 
“James Lupin?” Remus raised an eyebrow and Harry blushed.
 
“Couldn't have it linked to either my name or the one I've been using. I'm hoping Poppy will check them all over for me as well. Um, they know about magic, not everything of course but they know I'm a wizard. Call me Evan to them though the demon did tell them my real name I don't know if they'll remember. Be careful around John, he really doesn't like me. They're all Hunters. Sam won't be a problem at all and Dean's pretty good too as long as you don't threaten Sam.”
 
“I'm sure she will for you, now just relax Harry.” The older wizard ordered and Harry melted against him, almost unconscious as soon as he let go of his iron tight control. Remus stood, easily lifting Harry, when Poppy returned.
 
“In here Remus, put him on the bed and lock the door.”
 
“I'll go check on his friends while you're at it. Harry was hoping...”
 
“I'll see to them once I'm sure Harry's not about to end up in a coma. Copy their charts for me?”
 
“Of course.”
 
Remus stared down at the unconscious man on the bed and frowned at all the machines around him. It did not look good. He'd already copied the chart for Poppy and found himself wishing he had her or Harry's knowledge of medical terms so he could make sense of it. Harry hadn't said anything but there was no fooling a werewolf's senses, his cub was very attracted to this Hunter, maybe even in love with him.
 
“Who are you?” He spun, surprised someone had managed to sneak up on him and then relaxed as he saw the tall young man sporting injuries in the doorway.
 
“You must me Sam. My name is Remus, I'm here because Evan asked for help. It isn't always...safe for Wizards to be treated by muggles so he called in a healer and myself.” He gave Sam his kindest smile and slowly approached him.
“You must be tired, there's a chair here you can use.” Remus carefully placed a hand on Sam's arm and guided him to the chair. Sam sat but was still staring at him curiously. Sam suddenly tensed and staggered to his feet.
 
“Werewolf.” Remus' eyes widened in shock before he gave a soft, sad smile.
 
“Evan said you're very smart. Yes, I am a werewolf and a wizard like Evan. I am no threat to your family Sam, do you think Evan would let me near if I was? I'm not like the werewolves you've seen, magic changes the virus. I've never hurt anyone as a wolf Sam.” Remus tried to pacify the now agitated hunter.
 
“Can you control it?” Sam asked warily and Remus shook his head.
 
“Not without help, there's a potion I take that gives me more control and I lock myself up just to be extra safe. It's only one night a month but it does make getting work hard.” Remus smiled and Sam slowly relaxed. They both turned as a doctor entered.
 
“Your father's awake. You can go see him if you like.”
 
“Doc, what about my brother?” Sam asked, staring at the still form.
 
“Well, he sustained serious injury -- blood loss, contusions to his liver and kidney. But it's the head trauma I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema.” Seeing that Sam was too shocked to speak Remus stepped in.
 
“What can we do?” He asked calmly, reaching out to gently squeeze Sam's arm.
 
“Well, we won't know his full condition until he wakes up -- if he wakes up.”
 
“If?” Sam breathed and Remus got ready to catch him, just in case.
 
“I have to be honest. Most people with his degree of injury wouldn't have survived this long. He's fighting very hard. But you need to have realistic expectations, son.”
 
“Thank you doctor. I was told to give you this, my nephew was in the accident with them and will be covering all costs.” Remus handed over Harry's card.
 
“James Lupin? Oh, the young man who refused treatment.”
 
“Yes, his h..doctor is here and seeing him now.
 
“He can truly cover all of them?”
 
“Of course. Old family money. Expense is no problem for their treatment. Actually...is there any way to move them all into one room?” Remus asked, steering the doctor away from Sam who was now sitting on the edge of Dean's bed, obviously in shock.
 
“I'll see what I can do.” The doctor managed to get out and Remus gave him a blinding smile.
 
“Thank you very much.” He waited until the doctor was gone before going back to Sam.
 
“Sam?” The younger man actually jumped and Remus put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“He said...” Sam trailed off and Remus nodded.
 
“Don't worry, Evan's asked Poppy to look at your brother. Between the two of them I'm sure they'll be able to do something. Now why don't you go see your father? I'll make sure Dean is alright.” Sam nodded and slowly left the room. Remus sighed and collapsed into the chair. He really hoped Poppy could do something or a lot of hearts were going to break.
 
-----------------------------------
“All right, here. Give `em my insurance.” John handed Sam a card.
 
“Elroy McGillicuddy?”
 
“And his two loving sons. So…what else did the doctor say about Dean?”
 
“Nothin'. Look, since the doctors won't do anything…then we'll have to, that's all. I don't know, I'll find some hoodoo priest and lay some mojo on him. And we don't need to use this, Evan's covering it somehow. He also called for help, a personal doctor and another wizard who's staying with Dean at the moment.”
 
“We'll look for someone. And I don't like you leaving some stranger with Dean.”
 
“Yeah. But it's okay Dad, Evan sent him.”
 
“But, Sam…I don't know if you're gonna find anyone. How is Evan?”
 
“Why not? I found that faith healer before. I haven't seen Evan since we got here but Remus said his healer's seeing to him.”
 
“Well, that was one in a million.” John told him and Sam glared.
 
“So what? What, do we just sit here with our thumbs up our ass?” He asked his dad.
 
“No, I said we'd look. All right? I'll check under every stone. Where's the Colt?” Sam nodded and then glared.
 
“Your son is dying, and you're worried about the Colt?”
 
“We are hunting this demon, and maybe it's hunting us, too. That gun may be our only card.”
 
“It's in the trunk. They dragged the car to a yard off of I-83. And anyway Evan said whatever he did to it would keep it away for a while.”
 
“All right, you've gotta clean out that trunk before some junk man sees what's inside.” John ignored what Sam had said about what Evan had done, for now. He wanted to talk to the wizard about that himself.
 
“I already called Bobby. He's, like, an hour out. He's gonna tow the Impala back to his place.”
 
“All right, you go meet up with Bobby. You get that Colt and you bring it back to me, and you watch out for hospital security.” John tried to get more comfortable in his bed.
 
“I think I got it covered.” Sam got up to leave.
 
“Hey. Here. I made a list of things I need. Have Bobby pick `em up for me.”
 
“Acacia? Oil of Abramelin? What's this stuff for?: Sam frowned at the list.
 
“Protection.” Sam paused at the door.
 
“Hey, Dad? You know the demon -- he said he had plans for me and children like me. You have any idea what he meant by that?”
 
“No, I don't.” Sam nodded and left.
 
-------------------------
Remus smiled at Poppy as she entered the room.
 
“How is he?”
 
“Exhausted, magically and physically. Other than that he has a wonderful array of bruises and a few shallow cuts which I've healed. He's sleeping for the moment.” Remus relaxed as she spoke and Poppy smiled at him.
“Don't worry, I've healed that boy of far worse. Now let me see this one's chart.” Remus handed it over and watched as her smile turned into a frown.
 
“Poppy.” She sighed and put it down.
 
“I honestly don't know much I can do for him. The superficial wounds are easily handled but I agree with the doctor on the head trauma, it doesn't look good. Though the fact he's still alive gives me the reason for Harry's utter exhaustion. Silly boy has been subconsciously supporting him with his magic.”
 
“Can he do that?” Remus looked at Dean in awe.
 
“Is there anything that boy can't do if he's determined?” Poppy asked and they both chuckled at that.
 
“You're saying Evan's the reason my son's still alive?” Came a gruff voice. Remus stood, vacating the chair for the injured man who ignored the gesture.
 
“Mr. Winchester I presume? Just what do you think you're doing out of bed!” Remus chuckled at the dumbfounded look on the eldest hunter's face.
“Sit down this instant! Fool hardy man.” She pulled her wand and cast several diagnostic charms on him.
“Well you won't be dying any time soon but you do need to rest. And lay off the alcohol, you're liver will thank you.”
 
“And you are?” he growled out.
 
“Poppy Pomphrey, I've been seeing to Harry, I mean Evan's, family for years. And yes, it is Evan that is giving your son a fighting chance. Though I do not know how much longer he can keep it up.” She explained and John nodded looking over to Remus.
 
“Remus Lupin, family friend and fellow wizard, Harry was worried about possible attacks.” Remus explained.
 
“Harry...the demon called him that.” John mused and Remus sighed.
 
“It's his real name. He changed it for safety when he came to America. And in the hospital it will be James Lupin as that is the name on the account being used to pay for this.”
 
------------------------------
John looked up as Sam walked into his hospital room, not that he'd need it much longer since the doctors were going to discharge him soon.
 
“You're quiet.” Sam walked over to the bed and slammed the bag down.
 
“You think I wouldn't find out?” He asked angrily.
 
“What are you talkin' about?”
 
“That stuff from Bobby. You don't use it to ward off a demon, you use it to summon one. You're planning on bringing the demon here, aren't you, and having some stupid macho showdown! And it won't even work! Evan made sure we'd be safe and you want to call it here!”
 
“I have a plan, Sam.”
 
“That's exactly my point! Dean is dying and you have a plan! You know what, you care more about killing this demon than you do saving your own son!”
 
“Do not tell me how I feel. I am doing this for Dean.” John insisted.
 
“How? How is revenge gonna help him? You're not thinkin' about anybody but yourself! It's the same selfish obsession!”
 
“It's funny, you know what, I thought this was your obsession, too! This demon killed your mother, killed your girlfriend. You begged me to be part of this hunt! Now, if you killed that damn thing when you had the chance, none of this would have happened!” Now John was getting angry too.
 
“It was possessing you, Dad, I would've killed you, too!” Sam was trying not to yell but he was gradually getting louder.
 
“Yeah, and your brother would be awake right now!”
 
“Go to hell.” Sam snarled.
 
“I should have never taken you along in the first place. I knew it was a mistake!” A glass of water on John's bedside table suddenly crashed over. The glass shattered, and water spilt everywhere. Sam and John fell silent, staring at the water in shock. They stopped staring as several doctors rushed past the room.
“Something's goin' on out there.” He motioned for Sam to go find out and his son left.
 
Sam found Remus hovering in the doorway to Dean's room, a worried frown marring his face. The wizard held Sam back from going inside and Sam felt tears well in his eyes as he watched the doctors using a defibrillator on Dean, trying to find a pulse.
 
“All clear.” The doctor called.
 
“Clear.” They shocked him but he continued to flat line.
 
“No.” Sam sobbed and Remus wrapped his arms around him, offering support.
 
“Still no pulse.” The nurse called.
 
“Okay, let's go again. 360.” The doctor ordered. Poppy appeared almost running down the hall form Harry's room.
 
“Charging.”
 
“All clear.” The doctor called again.
 
“Clear.” She shocked Dean but nothing happened.
“Still no pulse. Clear.” She shocked him again and still nothing. Remus looked to Poppy who nodded and subtly drew her wand, aiming it at Dean.
 
“No change. I'm starting CPR.” The doctor called as Poppy began murmuring a spell. Remus frowned as Sam suddenly looked around the room, shocked, as if he'd heard something.
 
“We have a pulse. We're back into sinus rhythm.” The nurse called and Remus found himself briefly being the only thing holding Sam up before the hunter pulled away and went out into the hall.
 
“Poppy?” Remus whispered.
 
“It wasn't my spell. Harry's magic snapped back into him just before Dean `s heart stopped, that's how I knew to come. Harry is alright and should be waking soon.”
 
“And Dean?”
 
“His heart stopping may have caused further problems, I don't know yet.” Remus nodded and went to look for Sam, stopping as he heard him in with his father.
 
“What do you mean you felt something?” Remus heard John asking.
 
“I mean, it felt like…like Dean. Like he was there, just out of eyeshot or something. I don't know if it's my psychic thing or what. But do you think it's even possible? Do you think his spirit could be around?” Sam asked and Remus smiled, that was actually good news.
 
“Anything's possible.”
 
“Well, there's one way to find out.” Sam said.
 
“Where you goin'?” John asked and Remus began backing away.
 
“I gotta pick something up. I'll be back.”
 
“Wait, Sam. I promise…I won't hunt this demon. Not until we know Dean's okay.” Remus hurried back to Poppy with the news that Dean was apparently outside of his body.
 
----------------------------
“Hey. I think maybe you're around, and if you are…don't make fun of me for this, but, um…there's one way we can talk.” Sam said quietly as he entered Dean's room a while later. He took a Ouija board out of the paper bag he was carrying before sitting cross-legged on the floor. He set up the board and then placed his fingers on the planchette.
“Dean?” Sam sighed. “Dean, are you here?” Sam held his breath as it moved towards the word “Yes”. Sam's eyes lit up and he smiled in relief.
“It's good to hear from you, man. It hasn't been the same without you, Dean.” Sam watched as the planchette moved to different letters on the board.
“Dean, what? H…U...Hunt? What, hunting? Are you hunting?” It moved again to the `yes'. “Dean, it's in the hospital, what you're hunting -- do you know what it is?”
 
“It's a Reaper.” Sam jumped and turned to see a slightly pale Evan standing in the doorway.
 
“Evan! Should you be up? Are you okay?” Sam let out in a rush, moving quickly to his friend's side and then helping him over to the chair.
 
“I'm fine, still a bit tired but that's normal. Dean's looking annoyed that we're ignoring him.”
 
“You...can you see him?” Sam breathed and Evan nodded.
 
“He's standing right beside you, can't hear him though. Sorry Dean. A Reaper's after him, felt it nearly kill him earlier. It snapped the bond between us, the backlash was not nice.”
 
“A reaper. Dean? Is it after you?” Sam called and then watched as the planchette moved to the word “Yes”.
“If it's here naturally…there's no way to stop it.” Sam said sadly and Evan sighed.
“No…no, no, no. There's gotta be a way. There's gotta be a way. Dad'll know what to do.”
 
“They've discharged him and he's on his way here Sam. There isn't a lot that can be done. Substituting someone for Dean is about the only way and you saw how that works in Nebraska.” Evan told him but he was staring just past Sam, obviously looking at Dean.
“Doesn't mean we can't try everything we can think of.” John chose that moment to walk in, Remus a few steps behind him.
 
“Harry! What are you doing up?” Harry sighed as the werewolf began to fuss over him, making even John smile slightly.
 
“I'm fine Remus. We need to find a way to help Dean, there's a Reaper after him.”
 
“A Reaper? I don't like you messing with them.” The werewolf scolded.
 
“Yeah well they don't tend to like the fact I can see them, not that it's my fault I can.” Harry grouched and Remus sighed.
 
“I know cub.”
 
“Where's Poppy?”
 
“She noticed a few things that, well weren't quite up to her standards of hospital cleanliness.” Harry's eyes widened and then he burst out laughing.
 
“Poor cleaning staff!”
 
“You're saying there's a Reaper after Dean?” John butted in and Harry sobered immediately, nodding.
 
“Do you know anything that can stop it Dad?” Sam asked hopefully but slumped at the hopeless look on his father's face.
 
“I know one way.” Remus commented and Harry shook his head.
 
“Dean would never agree Moony.”
 
“Agree to what?” John asked suspiciously.
 
“You're talking about infecting him!” Sam yelped and Remus shrugged.
 
“It'd heal his injuries but the side effects...they're not exactly easy to live with.”
 
“What are you talking about?” John demanded.
 
“Remus is a werewolf. To save Dean he could bite him.” Harry stated flatly.
 
TBC...
See poll on ffnet.