Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Supernatural Magic ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
Since Harry is the same age as Sam in this I'm mucking around with the HP dates a bit.
 
Chapter 13
 
Sam hid a small grin at the way Harry was hovering over Dean and then caught Remus' eye. The older man was watching the two and looked to be having trouble hiding his amusement. Their eyes met and they shared a knowing look. Sam barely knew the werewolf but he could tell that despite his affliction he was a kind, gentle man with a good sense of humour. He just hoped he could help Dean adjust to the changes he was going through.
 
John glared at the wizard who insisted on staying by Dean's side. He couldn't help but blame the man for the way their lives had gone. Everything had been normal until his sons had started asking him for help on hunts. And now Dean...he stared at his eldest where he sat slumped tiredly in a chair, sipping at hot chocolate of all things. Was he even still Dean or just a monster with his memories? He froze as green eyes met his and felt a pang of pain at the well hidden fear in them. Could it really still be Dean, his son, behind those familiar eyes?
 
“Guess its story time.” Harry commented softly.
 
“You don't have to do this Snowy.” Remus told him, automatically coming to his cubs defence.
 
“Maybe not but I think it's time.” Harry told his godfather, refusing to look up at him.
 
“As I know the story I'll take my leave or else I may be tempted to do something that would go against my healer's oath.” Poppy said, standing to leave.
 
“Thanks for everything Poppy.” She smiled and pulled Harry into a brief hug.
 
“I've been looking after Potter's for years and I don't plan to stop any time soon. Call me if you need me.” With that she vanished.
 
“Moony?” Harry turned to the last Marauder.
 
“Do you want me here for this? I know the story but I'll stay if you want.” Remus offered softly and Harry thought about it before shaking his head.
 
“You should get some more sleep.”
 
“Alright, I'll be upstairs if you need me.” Remus shot John a stern look and then walked upstairs.
 
“My name is Harry James Potter-Black and I was born on July thirty first in 1983 in Godric's Hollow, England. My parents were James Potter, a pureblood wizard, and Lily Evans Potter, a muggleborn witch. At that point there was a war raging in the wizarding world, one that bled over into the muggle world as `terrorist acts'. Tom Riddle, aka Lord Voldemort, the heir of Slytherin was trying to purge the wizarding world of anyone other than purebloods. Which was very hypocritical considering he was a half-blood himself. My parents were members of the Order of the Phoenix, sworn to fight the Dark Lord. When Mum fell pregnant they went into hiding but it wasn't enough. Shortly after I was born a prophecy was given.”
 
The Winchesters stayed silent as Harry stoped to drink some water. Sam and Dean exchanged a look, knowing Harry was an orphan they both had the feeling they knew where this was going.
 
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not.. And either must die at the hands of the other for neither can live while the other survives…The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies…”
 
Sam blanched as he realised what Harry was saying, what his friend must have gone through. Without thinking about it he reached out and placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, earning a small smile form the Wizard.
 
“There were two children born that could have fit the prophecy, Neville Longbottom and me. Despite his spouting of pureblood superiority he chose the half-blood as the one that would be the threat. Eventually my parents turned to an ancient and powerful spell for protection. The fidelius charm should have been fool proof...would have been if the one they chose to keep the secret hadn't been one of Riddle's followers, a Death Eater. Peter betrayed my family and allowed an innocent man to be condemned in his place.”
 
Harry paused again and they let him take his time. Dean shifted in his seat, moving his hand under the table to place it on Harry's leg in a silent show of support. No wonder Harry and Sam had become such good friends at school, they'd both gone through similar things and at similar ages.
 
“The fidelius charm hides a person, object whatever in plain sight unless the Secret Keeper reveals the secret to you. We should have been perfectly safe. Voldemort could have stood on the front lawn and been unable to see us. But they made a mistake. The Order knew there was a spy and paranoia was rampant. Remus as a werewolf and `Dark Creature' was the obvious choice as a spy since Voldemort was offering them more rights than the Ministry. My parents chose Sirius as the Keeper; he was Dad's best friend and my godfather. But Sirius knew he was too obvious a choice and so in secret they swapped and made Peter the Keeper. And he sold us out. That Halloween, when I was fifteen months old, Voldemort came. Dad died trying to buy Mum enough time to save me. The only memories I have of her are her screaming at Riddle to kill her instead of me and him laughing as he killed her.
 
Mum died to save me and he should have known to be cautious after that. Mum was brilliant at Charms, one of the youngest to receiver their Mastery of the subject and she apparently had never fully trusted Peter. With her death she completed her greatest work ever. After she died he turned his wand on me and used the Killing Curse, Avada Kedavra. There is no counter curse and no way to block it. Just a flash of green light and you drop dead. But when he cast it on me it backfired and destroyed his body, leaving him nothing but a bodiless shade for thirteen years. It left me with a lightning bolt scar above my eye but otherwise untouched. I was found in the rubble of the house by Sirius who handed me over to Hagrid, another member of the Order. Sirius, blinded by rage, went after Peter and the rat framed him for the murder of thirteen muggles, cutting off his own finger to make it look like he'd been killed as well.”
 
“Sirius...You mean Sirius Black?” John asked and Harry nodded.
 
“Dad?” Dean asked and John looked at him, not making eye contact.
 
“It was all over the news; you boys were still at school. He escaped from some top security prison when you were seventeen. I don't think they ever caught him.” John explained and Harry nodded.
 
“It also took the one person with any legal right to me out of the picture quite nicely as far as certain parties were concerned. The Wizarding world rejoiced as the news spread and I was hailed a hero for doing nothing. They called me the Boy-Who-Lived because I survived what no one else ever had. Hagrid took me to Surrey where Headmaster Albus Dumbledore and Professor Minerva McGonagall. Dumbledore insisted I be left there with my Mother's sister since they were my sole remaining family. The Potter's had pretty much been wiped out during the early years of the war and during World War Two. McGonagall disagreed; she'd apparently been watching them all day and thought they were `the worst sort of Muggles'. But the high and mighty Albus insisted I needed the protection offered by blood and that by living in the muggle world I wouldn't get a big head from my fame. Instead he condemned me to ten years of pure hell.” Harry spat, body tense.
 
Dean tightened his grip as a glass on the sink imploded. Harry flinched and then waved his hand at the glass shards, the Winchesters watching as the shards flew back together until there was no sign the glass had ever been broken.
 
“What happened?” Sam asked softly and even John felt a flicker of sympathy for the young man. He couldn't bear to think what would have happened to his boys if he'd been lost in the fire as well or on any of his hunts when they were young. To lose both parents in one night and at such a young age would have been shattering.
 
“Petunia was always envious of Lily because she had magic and James. That jealousy became bitterness and then hatred and she had a perfect target available for it. I didn't even know my own name until they finally enrolled me in school, until then I was Boy or Freak. My room was the cupboard under the stairs and my clothes were my cousins cast offs, at least five times too big for me. I was their slave and punching bag and no one cared. Any teacher that questioned would up and vanish, courtesy of Dumbledore. He needed his weapon malleable and ready to be moulded as he wished. My cousin and his friends favourite game was `Harry Hunting', I was made to do all the chores around the house and I couldn't get better grades than my pig of a cousin.”
 
Sam, unable to hold back anymore, pulled Harry into a hug.
 
“How much does a ticket to England cost?” He asked seriously and Harry managed a shaky smile.
 
“No point, they're dead.” Seeing John start to open his mouth Harry added.
“And I didn't do it. I told them to run and they didn't. Their own stubbornness got them killed when I was sixteen.”
 
“Serves them right.” Dean muttered and John couldn't bring himself to say anything. He'd anomalously turned in plenty of families for less over the years when he'd spotted them on hunts.
 
“It all changed when I turned eleven and got my Hogwarts letter. It took Hagrid knocking the door of the shanty we were hiding in down to get said letter to me though. The Dursley's did everything they could to make sure I wouldn't get it. I learnt the truth of my parent's death and my own fame that day. Got my first ever birthday cake too even if it was a bit squished. Hagrid was my first friend for all that he was half giant he was a gentle soul. Dumbledore was very clever when he sent Hagrid to be my first introduction to their world. He could tell me stories of my parents and begin steering me in the `right' direction. It didn't hurt that the next person I really talked to was Draco Malfoy.” Harry snorted in fond amusement.
 
“He was a right prat and the son of a high ranked Death Eater to boot. We hated each other from the start because we had both been brought up with different ideologies. Our meeting could have been orchestrated, who knows, but it started my hatred of anything Slytherin so that when it came time to be sorted into a school house I insisted it not be Slytherin, despite being told that it was the house I was most suited for. Instead I went into the same house as my parents and new friend, Ronald Weasley, Gryffindor. I hated the fame from the start; the way people would stare and whisper when I passed them in the halls. That Halloween I made another friend, Hermione Granger, a muggleborn and the brightest witch of our grade. We became the Golden Trio, a poor pureblood, a rich and famous half-blood and a brilliant muggle born. The Headmaster was ecstatic. We got away with so much that no other students would have.” Harry couldn't help smiling at the fond memories of those days.
 
“But that year also brought Voldemort back into my life. Because hidden within the walls of Hogwarts was the philosopher's stone. He needed it to regain his body and Dumbledore knew it. Things were arranged so that at the end of the year we faced off over the stone. I won through pure luck. The protections left on me by my mother meant that my touch burnt Voldemort so when the professor he was possessing attacked me I grabbed his head and held on. I was eleven years old and I killed him, self defence or not. That year set the precedent and we faced each other every year except my third. That was the year Sirius escaped Azkaban to protect me from Peter. In my fourth year the school hosted the tri-wizard tournament, something I was too young to participate in and yet I was named as the fourth champion. I watched Cedric die and then was tied to a gravestone as Peter resurrected Riddle. Bone of the father, flesh of the servant and blood of the enemy.”
 
Harry rolled up his sleeve to reveal the jagged scar left from Peter's knife. All three men winced in sympathy of the wound.
 
“I watched as Voldemort returned and his flowers flocked to our location, all the time trying not to cry out in pain. By using my blood he'd circumvented my mother's protections and could now touch me, causing me pain instead of him. But he needed to save face, to prove my surviving was a fluke so instead of just killing me we duelled. Once again luck or fate intervened. Our wands held the same core, a feather from the Headmaster's phoenix Fawkes. They connected when we fought and then they appeared....echoes of those he used the killing curse on. First Cedric and then down until...until my parents appeared. It was the first and only time I've heard my father's voice and he said he was proud of me.”
 
Harry stopped, unable to go on and surprisingly it was Dean who pulled him close this time. Sam smiled as he saw Harry melt into the embrace in a way he'd never seen before. Though Harry's hesitance towards physical contact was now understandable.
 
“They attacked Voldemort, allowing me to escape, taking Cedric's body with me. That fool Fudge...he refused to believe me, insisted Voldemort was dead and gone. That summer he started a smear campaign against me and Dumbledore, saying I was a liar and attention seeker. I didn't have a clue though since Dumbledore was having my mail monitored for `safety'. I spent the summer cut off from my friends and buried in my books. I knew he wouldn't let me live, he couldn't afford to, and he had about fifty years more experience than me. Remus managed to smuggle extra books to me and even snuck in to help me without anyone knowing. He's how I found out I had a guard on me that summer. He started my animagus training that summer. Towards the end of the holidays I'd gone out for a walk, ran into Dudley and his gang. Words were exchanged and then a storm started. Seeing the look on his face when he thought the storm was my doing because of how mad I was was the highlight of the summer. On our way home we were attacked by Dementors. They're the foulest of Dark Creatures, feeding of your memories and sucking out people's souls. They were the guards of Azkaban. I defended us and in the process used under aged magic in front of a muggle, family or not. I should have gotten a fine but instead I ended up before the entire Wizengamot, basically our High Court. Fudge wanted me expelled; he even changed my hearing time at the last minute so I wouldn't show up. Thankfully I'd gone early to the Ministry.”
 
“They put you up in front of a High Court? How old were you?” Sam asked in horror.
 
“Barely fifteen, not that Fudge cared. He just wanted me out of the way. I was a threat to his power. One thing I'm grateful to Dumbledore for, he showed up with a witness and I was acquitted. And I got to spend the rest of the summer with my friends at Order HQ. Remus and Sirius continued our training at night when it wouldn't be noticed. That school year...it was the start of the Second War and the end of everyone I loved. Sirius was the first; he died when I fell for a trap at the end of the year, killed by his own cousin who was a Death Eater. Sirius was the white sheep of his family and the closest person to a father I had. I learnt later Dumbledore had a hand in his death, not liking the way I relied on him. But Sirius thought something like that might happen so he had a will. He named me his sole heir and left guardianship of me to Remus and then his cousin Bella, so Dumbledore couldn't kill Remus off or I'd be left to Voldemort's most loyal follower.” Harry grinned and Dean laughed.
 
“Clever.” Dean commented and Harry nodded.
 
“Remus pulled me from Hogwarts for sixth year and Ron and Hermione followed. I think that was the best year, despite the war because I had a family. Despite Remus trying to kill us through training. Got to the point we could hex someone in our sleep. Ron and Hermione started dating that year too. They went back to Ron's family home for his brother's wedding; something I wish I'd stopped them from doing. By the time I sensed the attack and showed up it was too late. Dumbledore showed up at the same time and between the two of us we routed them. I barely remember the fight I was just so mad. I managed to save Bill's fiancé's little sister and in the process killed the bastard who infected Remus as a child. But Bill and the rest of the Weasley's were dead. When I found Hermione...she was trying to pull Ron out from the rubble, begging him to wake up. But it was too late. She was never the same after that.”
 
Harry had to stop again and even John had closed his eyes in horror of what had happened on what should have been such a happy day. Instead it had been a massacre.
 
“Hermione just shut down, she used to call me reckless but after that she just threw herself into battle and became one of the most feared witches on our side. She died half way through what should have been our last year of school, though neither of us had gone back, but she took Bellatrix with her. It was just after the wedding massacre that I ran into Draco for the first time since leaving Hogwarts. I found him half dead near Order HQ and despite everything I couldn't just leave him there. He wasn't evil. He was just a schoolyard bully. The look on his face when he woke up and found me as his nurse.” Harry laughed at the memory.
“Turns out his own father had almost killed him for refusing to take the Dark Mark. He spilled everything he knew and joined up. Joked that the Golden Trio was now a Silver one. And he was right, we were to jaded and angry to be the Golden children the Wizarding World wanted us to be. When Hermione died it was Neville who ended up playing third, after he found out it could have been him in my place he took to the war like nothing anyone could have foreseen. Good old Neville, loyal to a fault and one of the bravest people I've ever known. He was also the only one besides Remus and Poppy who didn't snub me once Draco and I started seeing each other. We'd discovered just how similar we really were and one thing led to another. It was Neville who finally killed Peter but he never saw Lucius Malfoy behind him. Draco killed his own father for what the man had done to Neville. Barely three weeks later we were ambushed and Draco....Draco died in my arms. Not one Death Eater left that forest alive and I didn't care. Remus found us there, managed to get me home and he buried Draco where he belonged, beside Ron, Hermione and Nev.”
 
Sam got up and refilled Harry's glass, handing it over to the wizard. Harry nodded in thanks and drank the cool liquid.
 
“I went into that final fight believing I would die and wanting to. My closest friends and lover were dead and I wanted to join them. The whole thing ended up one bloody big cliché really. We fought at the end of the school year on the lawns of Hogwarts itself. I'd never trusted Snape, figured he was really on Voldemort's side but I never expected him to literally stab me in the back. Still got the scar from that. But prophecy will not be denied so while I lost a lot of blood and really wanted someone to kill me to make the pain go away I lived. I yanked the knife out and rammed it straight through Severus Snape's black heart. He was the one who had told Voldemort of the prophecy in the first place so killing him didn't really bother me. I managed to make it to Voldemort and when he saw the condition I was in he decided to be the clichéd villain and gloat for a while. So I pulled out the gun Dudley had bought me and I shot him in the head at rather close range, wasn't much left of it after that. I passed out from blood loss and internal injuries and was taken to the infirmary of Hogwarts by Dumbledore and Remus. Remus and Poppy faked my death and once able to travel I left Britain for America. All the time spent at Popp's tender mercies had taught me a lot about healing so I decided to study muggle medicine, see if there was a way to combine the two. I met Becky shortly after I arrived and she learnt the truth about me. And that's pretty much it.” Harry slumped a bit in his chair as he finally finished his story.
 
The three Winchester men exchanged looks and then John opened his mouth.
 
TBC...