InuYasha Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ War of the Three Worlds ❯ Chapter 1 of Day 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha, Ranma and Yuu Yuu Hakusho don't belong to me.

Authors Note: I'm posting this story in the hopes that once it's out of my system I'll be able to continue K: TJC. Also, I'm only posting this chapter to, (hopefully) hook more readers into this story and convince them it'll worth the wait between updates.

Kagome - 20

Ranma - 18

Yusuke - 15

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome Higurashi raced up the stairs to the second floor of her home as the hungry wail of Rei reached her ears. Unbuttoning her shirt and bra she lifted her baby from the crib and settled into a rocking chair while Rei suckled milk from her breast. Humming softly as she rocked back and forth Kagome remembered her last week with Inuyasha, all the teasing, the sits, their love . . .

Kagome shook her head to clear that memory; even though it was one of the happiest moments of her life, was also one of her most painful because of its aftermath. Inuyasha should be with them now, with her and their child. But because of Naraku, it would never happen; her fondest and most desired dream, torn apart by that corrupt, debased, and disgusting excuse for a hanyou.

Head tilted forward, her tears made trails down her face and splashed onto her arm as her shoulders shook with her grief.

A tiny hand tipped with tiny sharp claws reached up and touched her cheek. Startled by the sudden contact Kagome's tear filled eyes flew open to meet the upset gaze of her two-month-old babe.

Violet eyes, the legacy of Inuyasha's mother, seemed to bore into her soul. Sensing her mother's emotional state had made Rei upset as well, though she had no idea why.

"Oh baby. I'm so sorry. I just wish I could give you your father, but I can't." Kagome whispered brokenly to her hanyou child as she gently stroked the small black with white-tipped ears adorning Rei's broad head, the legacy of Inuyasha.

At first Kagome had been confused, expecting her baby to be a quarter demon. But Shippo had told her that genetics took a back seat to yokai and magic, because of that, Rei would be hanyou, her children would be hanyou, her grand children would be hanyou, and so would the rest of her descendants. But if Rei mated with a full yokai, then her children would be full blood yokai as well.

Soothed by her ears being rubbed, her full stomach, and no longer sensing distress from her mother, Rei fell asleep, purring contently.

"Kagome? Can I come in?" Came a whispered voice from the outside of her room with a gentle knock on the door. Her eyes brightened immediately, it was one of her favourite cousins, Ranma!

"Sure."

As Kagome and Ranma talked in hushed tones, enjoying each other's company and the chance to escape the stress in their lives, if only for a little while, the knob of her door turned and Shippo walked in.

"Hi Ranma! Mama, I need your help . . . " He murmured, blushing slightly.

Day now brightened immensely by first a visit from her cousin, and now a visit from her adopted son, Kagome gave them both a brilliant smile and rose from her chair.

"Why don't I put Rei-chan in her crib and we'll all go downstairs?"

Laughter rang through the living room as Shippo described what the woman he was interested in did to the boy that wandered on the construction site. While trying to control her giggles, Kagome found herself thinking of Inuyasha and what he would have done in the same situation; but for the first time since his death, Kagome didn't break down in tears. Her healing had finally begun.

"Y'know, I went to visit Yusuke the other day . . . "

"Read 'visit' as 'got my fiancee angry and took the mallet express'." She whispered into Shippo's ear. They chuckled.

"OI!" Ranma shouted, indignant.

Still chuckling, Kagome and Shippo apologized while motioning for him to continue.

"So I visited him . . . " He shot a glare to quell the sniggering of his cousin and her adopted son. "...and Aunt Atsuko, who's finally stopped drinkin', an' there was somethin' odd 'bout him." Ranma leaned forward, Kagome and Shippo followed his example in order to hear him. "His Ki was really strong, too strong."

"Ki?" Shippo asked, interrupting.

"It's the shortened word for Reiki son. Spirit energy." Kagome told him, replacing his puzzled expression with a slightly embarrassed one.

"Oh." He muttered, a slight dash of red appearing on his cheeks just above the red facial stripes that proclaimed to all his Lordship over the Eastern Lands.

"That's okay Shippo, sometimes I forget ya have different words for things."

"Ranma? What do you mean his Ki was too strong? Isn't your Ki strong too? What about mine?" She asked.

Sighing, Ranma studied their curious faces as they tried to understand while he tried to think up a way to tell them the differences.

"Ah damn it Kagome. Ya always ask the hardest questions . . . "

There was a loud crash upstairs.

"Rei-chan!" Kagome cried as she leapt from her seat and raced up, followed closely by Shippo and Ranma.

Reaching the top of the stairs, Kagome demonstrated cat-like reflexes in her cornering ability as she made the 90-degree left turn from the stairs to the hall and through the open door of her bedroom.

There, standing over Rei-chan's crib was a purple haired girl who had drawn a broadsword and was swinging it toward her child!

Kagome launched herself at the intruder, screaming in fear for her child's safety just as Shippo and Ranma made it to the door.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"