InuYasha Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ War of the Three Worlds ❯ Chapter 3 of Day 1 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha, Ranma and Yuu Yuu Hakusho don't belong to me.

Authors Note: I'm posting this story in the hopes that once it's out of my system I'll be able to continue K: TJC.

Kagome - 20

Ranma - 18

Yusuke - 15

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cologne kneeled at the table and sipped a soothing herbal tea from a cup they had brought here from their home in China. The week following the disastrous wedding fiasco between her son-in-law and one Akane Tendo had been one where the tension was thick enough to cut with a butter knife. Nervous Nerima residents, showing a remarkable sense of self-preservation had not emerged from their homes unless they absolutely had to. The past two years had been trials of chaos for her son-in-law, and Cologne grimaced as she thought of what a large part her great-granddaughter Shampoo . . .

The teacup in her hands cracked and fell apart, spilling the lukewarm tea all over her hands and the table. Her normally pale face lost a shade of colour as she considered the implications of this ill omen that occurred at the thought of her great-granddaughter.

Rising from the table, Cologne wrapped her gnarled, wrinkled hand around her staff and was prepared to leave the Nekohanten in search of her absent relative when the phone rang. Scowling she looked at it, feeling a sense of urgency from the caller. Cologne reached out and picked it up.

"Nekohanten." Her voice rasped.

"Hey, Cologne..." The voice of Ranma began from the other side of the line. She abruptly cut him off.

"Where. Is. She?"

There was a gulp from Ranma before he answered.

"Tokyo East General Hospital. It's really bad."

She placed the receiver back on its cradle and left.

Her figure cast an ominous shadow in the waiting room and the expression on her face sent a chill down Ranma's spine. Using the Soul of Ice he managed to remain calm even as the Matriarch of the Amazon Tribe pogoed up to him and put her face right up to his, piercing his soul with sharp eyes with such intensity Ranma was tempted to execute the Crouch of the White Tiger even though it hadn't been his fault.

Shippo, who had arrived earlier, approached them and directed Cologne's gaze to himself; allowing Ranma to sigh in relief.

"You must be Elder Ku-lon, Xian-Pu's great-grandmother. I am Genkaku Shippo. If you would please follow me to a quieter area, I will explain everything."

Ranma's head whipped around and he gave Shippo an incredulous look. Shippo for his part gave his mother's cousin a slight nod.

Sensing the magic surrounding Shippo, Cologne gripped her staff tightly as they followed the Kitsune to the roof of the hospital.

The cement stairwell echoed with each tap of her staff and the shuffle of Ranma and Shippo's feet as the thickening silence that fell between them was almost suffocating. Nearing the final floor and assured that there were no cameras to see them, Shippo released his illusionary disguise; causing Cologne to narrow her eyes even further at Ranma's lack of reaction to the five tails that suddenly appeared on Shippo's posterior.

Placing one hand on the door that led to the roof of the hospital, Shippo gave it a push and they stepped onto the hospitals helipad. Cologne resumed her piercing gaze on him.

"Elder, judging by your age I presume you remember an explosion of magical energy that occurred when you were younger?" Shippo began. "One that your Elders at the time couldn't explain?"

Cologne, wondering what the Kitsune was leading to with this question and how it related to the injuries her great-granddaughter obtained, nodded her head. Yes, she did remember such a time. When she was ten years old, a power so great that it had sent a chill down the collective spines of her Elders had bathed the world in a blue glow for three days and three nights. The village had spent those days hidden in their huts, wondering if the end of the world had come. Then, as quickly at it had appeared, it was gone and it didn't take the village long to put it behind them and continue life as normal.

"Those were the days that marked the creation of the Makai, few yokai escaped its creation. I was only two centuries old when I found myself in the prime position to take hold of the Eastern Lands, so I took it with the knowledge of what would come in the next three hundred years in a book gifted to me by my adopted mother before she returned to this time." Shippo paused and glanced at Cologne's skeptical and unamused face. He remained unruffled as he continued his story.

"My adopted mother is the reincarnation of the Priestess Midoriko, who sacrificed her life fighting several powerful yokai and in doing so created the Shikon no Tama. Kagome is its new protector." Cologne's eyes widened as this sunk in and it became apparent she was one of the few today who knew the legend of the Shikon no Tama. Shippo nodded as he continued.

"Few know this, but the Shikon Jewel has some sentience, and when Kagome or some she loves is threatened by a yokai, it boosts her Miko abilities. Today, Ranma and I were visiting her and we were talking when we rushed upstairs when we heard a crash." He paused.

"What we saw was your great-granddaughter about to kill Kagome's two month old hanyou baby. I can only surmise that since your great-granddaughter is human and Kagome wouldn't have made it in time to save her, the Shikon Jewel reacted, and changed Kagome into a hanyou." Grimacing at the memory, he finished the story.

"I'm sure you can imagine what happened after that. I managed to pull my adopted mother off so Ranma, Kagome's cousin, could take Xian-Pu to the hospital."

Cologne knew she, Xian-Pu and Mu-Tsu were in big trouble. Not only had Xian-Pu attacked a member of Ranma's family, but also the family of a Kitsune who had clearly stated his station in the yokai world and implied through body language that his position gave him the power to have them deported. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*