InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Enlightened Hearts: Miroku & Sango ficlets ❯ Grave Digger ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AN: Originally posted on 8-6-07.
 
Grave Digger

The hot summer heat surged through the first layer of her skin like fire. She dug her hands into the earth, mud coating her fingers with sweat and tears. Her cries soon turned inaudible, and the ceramic urn seared her hands as she dug her brother's grave next to her father's. Kohaku was long gone, and there was no jewel to save him - no otherworldly power that would resurrect his earthly form.

She hiccuped, and she placed the urn softly into the hollowed out bed of soil. She stared at it, tears still streaming down her cheeks. The others were not here, respecting her from a distance, and she and her brother were left alone. Before she could move the earth blanket over her brother's remains, she lifted the urn back into her lap again, popping off the lid. Hesitantly, she looked inside one last time, the fresh ash still hot from the funeral.

"Kohaku," she said aloud, her phrase caught by the lonely breeze. She sighed heavily, twisting the lid back onto the urn, relishing in the heat that still radiated onto her hands. "Goodbye."

Closing her eyes, her hands methodically shifted the dirt over the grave. She looked up into the young evening sky. Sighing, the smoke from the funeral pyre was quickly dissipating, the remnants of her sadness fading into the horizon.

Sango bent her head, clasped her hands together and remembered. Loss burned in her heart, firing and glazing into a hardened stone.