InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Enlightened Hearts: Miroku & Sango ficlets ❯ Memorial ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AN: Written for the “Rose” theme on mirsan_fics on LJ.
 
Pairing: Miroku/Sango
Rating: PG
Word Count: 300
 
Memorial
 
The slayer village is a graveyard, and it will remain that way until another group claims it. Until then, Sango visits often, lighting incense and letting the memories of a different time overtake her.
 
This time, she brings white roses and lilies for the graves. Her belly is swollen with child, and her new husband walks silently by her side. He has memories of his own, but they'll visit his birthplace at another time.
 
Sango stares at the house where she grew up, and absently she rubs her belly and thinks about her future. Her father would have been proud of her, and she regrets more than anything that he can't be around to know her child or meet her husband.
 
She feels Miroku's hand squeeze her shoulder, and he pulls her close and they walk along a row of graves. This place no longer sings with life; it only reminds her of all the things she's lost. It hurts coming here, but she knows she must.
 
She misses them, but she and Miroku know that it's better to not look back. Sometimes they just can't. She can't forget her roots, where she lived, and the people that shaped her into the woman she is today.
 
“Come on,” he says, stopping in front of the incense. She's thankful for Miroku. She's sure her father would have liked him.
 
They kneel and pray, and Sango is relieved that Kohaku isn't among the dead here. With Miroku by her side, she is grateful that she is alive as well.
 
Sango takes another long look before they leave, and her hand falls to her belly again. She sighs. Yes, they have a chance at a better future, but every once in awhile, it is respectful to remember the defining times of the past.