InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Haze of the Heart ❯ Midoriko ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Midoriko
 
 
 
 
Clad in armour, the figure was so familiar, it almost hurt Kagome that she couldn't remember. Kagome, now curled into a ball and crying feeble, her energy drained, hissed coldly at the woman in armour, "Go away... just leave me ALONE!" Her last word rising to a hellish shriek, Kagome sobbed once more. The woman drew back slightly, pondering the actions one should take with such a fragile soul. Eyes soft, she knelt at Kagome's side, and whispered, "why do you cry, young priestess, are you not happy?" Kagome looked up in shock, her face twisted in the reaction one would give after being slapped. "Of course I'm not happy!" She replied venomously, her tone cutting to the heart. Kagome's vivid blue eyes were alive with fire. The woman put a comforting hand on Kagome's shoulder, "Young priestess, tell me your pain." Kagome looked at the woman through her tears, as if looking back on a painful subject and began wailing once more. "I- I- I can't... I can't go on without them!" The woman sat, taking Kagome into her lap as a mother would a child, smoothing out her mess of hair. She rocked gentley, floating in the nothingness as one sitting in a rocker would. "I know, I know... it, it wasn't supposed to happen this way." Comforted by the woman's heartbeat, rhythmic but detatched, Kagome asked, "Wh- Who are you?" The armour-clad woman smiled and her voice came to Kagome as though through water, "My name is Midoriko, creator of the shikon jewel." Kagome drew back, tumbling from Midoriko's grasp, hitting the invisible floor and creating silver ripples. "Wh- Why are you here?" Midoriko stood, "You, Kagome Higurashi, are my blood, my very being. You are I, as Kikyou once was." Kagome's shoulders shook with confusion. "Wh- what? What do you mean, I am you?" Midoriko sighed, "Only one who possesses my soul may purify the jewel as you could, for only my soul has the power to overcome that of the demon I fight to this day." Kagome looked past Midoriko, seeing a seething dragon flit in and out of the shadows. Kagome allowed tears, tears she was amazed she could still provide, to fall freely down her cheek, falling into the chaos that had become her mind. "What did you mean, it wasn't supposed to happen this way?" Midoriko sat once more, bidding Kagome to do the same. "Sit, young priestess, there is much to discuss...."
 
 
Kagome watched as Midoriko turned her wrists in a circular motion, mist appearing before her. Deep in the depths of that mist appeared a crying child. Midoriko spoke, "This is Kikyou when she was born. Before she was born, I made a deal with the gods that I would have part of my soul reincarnated as many times as it takes for the jewel to come to it's fate. I chose Kikyou to posses part of my soul, just as I later chose you. Kikyou, however, was not the first keeper of the jewel. A short time before Kikyou, a young priestess kept the jewel, but became twisted with lust for it's powers. Her time of the jewel is so little that no one remembers it. But that, young priestess, is beside the point. When you were born, I put the jewel into you, hoping to ensure that it would at last meet its destiny. You were to tumble down the well; you were to help me in the fight with the dragon. But the crash... so many things happened, and all I could give you were images of what could have been to keep you alive. A soul such as yours cannot be reincarnated peacefully if it is lost in confusion as Kikyou's was. This is why you posses little of her soul. The quest for the jewel in the past never was, and the jewel remains in your body." Midoriko paused to take a breath, "I can give you a few choices. You may live your life out without Inuyasha, knowing you will one day see him again. You may choose death now, but Reincarnation will take a time, for your friends souls are lost in chaos, they are unsure why they died, and that will take a time to fix. Without you coming into the past, each of your friends died." Kagome dropped her head, "I- I just want to be... with him..." Tears ran down her face as she sat, shoulder's shaking. "So do you opt for death, young priestess?" Kagome looked up bravely, a flicker of stubbornness lighting in Kagome's eyes, "Yes." Her voice was shaky, but sounded confident. Midoriko nodded, and leaned to place a kiss on Kagome's forehead, "Sleep well, young priestess." Kagome's world, black as it had become, was finally light, and she slept in peace, honoring Midoriko's wish.
 
 
The next day, Mrs. Higurashi walked out to the well, hoping her renegade daughter would be found asleep by the old wood, maybe even coming to peace with her delusion. Imagine the heartbreaking scream that rose from Mrs. Higurashi when her daughter, beautiful and young, was found, skin ice cold, in the middle of a ring of sakura, a soft smile alighted on her lips, the only indication that peace had been found. Gathering her daughter, Mrs. Higurashi wept, with all the power a grieving mother could muster, as she pushed Kagome's raven hair away from her ivory face, shoulder's shaking in the misery many found accompanying them in sorrow.
The cause of Kagome's death was shrugged off as complications with her heart due to the crash that had stopped her trip back in time, and not even thought to be the broken heart that actually cut short the life of a young woman.
 
Note- What Midoriko means by lost in confusion is that their death occurred in a way different than it was supposed to, and the chaos and questions their souls held would take time to heal, depending on the soul's willingness to heal their pain. Inuyasha for instance, would take longest for he grieves, mulls, and holds onto things that have happened for a long time.
 
Other Characters Deaths-
Shippou- Killed with his dad
Kirara- Became Kohaku's pet and died a few years later in battle