InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ March Winds ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"March Winds"

by Hentai Jane

CHAPTER 2

I swear, I forgot to breath. She's changed, she's no longer the adolescent girl I saw two years ago. Now, Ayame was filled out in all the right places, making her bust line ample and hips curvaceous. I couldn't help but think how healthy she looked; healthy enough to bare pups. Not my pups of course, just someone's pups.

"Elder sent me to bring you water upon your arrival." She sat a pitcher and cup next to the door. "Are you hungry?" she asked, folding her hands in front of her, waiting for my answer.

"Well, hello to you to Ayame." I sat back against the wall, sizing her up as she stiffened under my gaze.

"I have no need for pleasantries Kouga. Elder ordered me to watch over you and that is what I am doing." Her tone was flat, lifeless. I liked the way her green eyes darkened as she looked at me. I knew that look. Ayame was pissed. She's hated me ever since our meeting with Kagome and my declaration of love for the human.

"If you don't need anything, then I am leaving. I don't like being starred at." her eyes narrowed at me before she sharply turned, leaving me alone in my temporary den.

I sat there for a moment, contemplating her attitude and the 'grave' reason for the elder's meeting. Something here was wrong. I could feel it, almost smell it on the perfumed spring breeze as it flowed into my room.

There was trouble on the march winds.

Cautiously stepping out of the den, I made my way down the side of the mountain. I came across several females preparing meat and other foods for dinner, while a dozen more put together floral

arrangements, gathered fire wood, cleaned fish and various fruits and vegetables. I watched another female carrying bulky cushions into a nearby cave. This must be where I'll meet the elder later on.

"What do you want?" came an annoyed voice to my right.

Her voice, though soft and feminine, was as sharp as a sword.

That tone wouldn't faze me, so I plastered on my most charming smile and looked at the little vixen, "I thought you might be lonely and yearn for my company."

Ayame's face turned beet red with anger as her cherry red lips formed a thin frown, "And just what gave you that impression?" she asked hotly.

"Call it a male's natural instinct." I said, winking before sauntering toward the other females. "Hello Ladies." I bowed to them, letting my black bound hair fall over one shoulder. There was something about a male's hair being long that seemed to drive the females wild. They started coming to me, like moths to a flame, introducing themselves and blushing prettily when I kissed each of their delicate hands. In the matter of minutes, I had become a hit with the females of this tribe.

"Can any of you lovely women tell me where the nearest hot spring is? I would like to freshen up before dinner."

I had plenty of volunteers when it came to giving directions, even a few who were willing to scrub my back, as well as.......other things. There offers were sweet, but I really wasn't in the mood. I had just lost my one love, so the thought of doing anything besides a little innocent flirting was too much. Of course, that doesn't mean I wasn't in the mood to taunt Ayame. She was picking up dried branches from around the mountain when I leaned toward her, "Did you need to join me Ayame? You seem awfully tense." I whispered into her finely pointed ear.

Her reaction wasn't what I had in mind. I landed on my ass after she whacked me upside the head with a stick, "You are SUCH a PIG!" She stomped away, very pissed at my suggestive question. Gasps mixed with girlish giggles resounded from the stunned on lookers. Oh well, my jaw hurt, but she didn't do any major damage. I grinned and brushed myself off before heading for the springs.

It was conveniently located about a mile away from the mountain, in a little valley. It's warm watered bubbled and swirled as it was fed from the underground spring. A few trees and a multitude of tall leafy plants shielded me from any prying eyes.

I wonder what Kagome is doing right now? Was she still happy with her decision to marry dog breath? I guess those are things I'll never know because I will never see her again. The though alone was too painful for me to bear. I closed my eyes and floated in the chest deep center of the hot spring, enjoying the natural sounds of the wilderness and whistling winds.

I don't know how long I was there, but a familiar voice called out, "Hey Kouga! Did yah drown?" I opened my eyes to see Eito standing near the bank waving a white drying cloth at me. "Come on you nudist! Get out before you get all pruney lookin'!"

"Too late." the skin on my hands and feet were terribly wrinkled from staying in the warm water so long, but it felt good to just relax. "So I take it your guard duty has ended for the day?" I asked as Eito turned his back while I dressed.

"Yep! I stopped by my den to see how Namiyo was doing and told her you were here. Not that she didn't already know." he grinned at me, looking more mischievous than usual.

"What do you mean?"

Eito chuckled, "Oh I heard all about your charm and dashing good looks........" he paused to make a gaging sound, "....from the females. It seems you have a few admirers."

"I can't help it that woman find me irresistible." I said, working the tangles out of my wet hair.



He punched me in the arm, "There's the cocky bastard I know and love! Glad to see your back!"

"Yeah, it hurts to....... ya know, loose the girl you love to some worthless asshole, but it was her decision."

"Don't start talkin' about her. C'mon....." Eito motioned for me to follow him. We started walking back to the mountain, "First, my mate made us a delicious lunch, so let's not piss her off by being late. Second, I think I'm up for a run. How about you old man? Are you still the fastest wolf round?"

"Old? I'm only 26 years older than you smart ass and you'll never out run me!"

"Is that a challenge?" Eito asked, kicking up an eyebrow.

"Anytime." I replied.

"Then lets go!" he took off at top speed, dashing through the forest, jumping over bushes. It only took me few minutes to catch up and gain a good distance ahead of him.

The dust swirled around us as we made our way up to his den. I stopped, not even winded as he ran up the trail, "No fair! You had time to rest before our race, that's the only reason you won!" he shouted playfully.

"Sure Eito, keep telling yourself that!" I missed him and his quick wit; it felt good to see my friend again.

"Look at all this dirt!" Namiyo stood in the doorway, broom in hand, looking perturbed at the mess we made.

"Sorry." I said as she looked at me.

Namiyo was a cute ookami female with a petite frame, big brown eyes and chestnut colored hair. "Oh, don't worry about it. I'll just make Eito clean it up." she handed him the broom, giving him a do it or die look. "It's nice seeing you again Kouga." I hugged her, feeling the bulge under her loose fur outfit.

"Likewise Namiyo. Congratulations on your pregnancy too. Have you and Eito picked out any names yet?"

"Not really. We still have a while so we're taking things slow." she led me to their dining area, seating me to the left of Eito's usual spot at the head of the table. She poured sweet teas and called for Eito to come in and have lunch.

My mouth watered as she served us a hearty beef stew and sticky buns. I complimented her cooking as I dug into my meal. Their hospitality was much appreciated. I listened as Eito and Namiyo told me about some of the tribe politics and antics of the younger wolves. He also mentioned some problems they were having with a neighboring tribe. "Is that why the elder called me here?" I asked, noticing Eito's face fall. He didn't look happy.

"I'm not sure. All I can say is times have been hard. The rest is up to the elder to tell you about. I hope my holding out doesn't offend you Kouga?"

"No. I understand." I said and continued eating.

After lunch, we helped Namiyo clear the table and decided to take a run. Eito was damn fast, but he couldn't out run me. We sprinted across the lush country side, scarring birds and slinging good hearted insults at each other occasionally.

We talked a lot, taking time to reflect on the past, present, and made guesses about our futures. I still think Eito is going to have at least twenty mean rotten little pups to pay him back for being such a pain the ass when he was young. My own mother wished the same fate on me many times when I was a pup, but her curse has yet to be fulfilled!

The sun was setting low in the sky, giving it an amber glow laced with shades of purple and red. "We should get back. The meeting will start soon." Eito pulled me to my feet and we ran back to the mountains.

I went back to the guest den, quickly changing into a clean outfit and straightened my hair. To say I was a little nervous was an understatement. The elder of a tribe didn't call you away from your own pack for tea and cookies.

"Aren't you ready yet?" As if things couldn't get any worse, there stood Ayame, hands on her hips, glaring daggers at me.

"Are you always this nice, or am I just special?" If my question sounded sarcastic, then my mission was accomplished. I know she's still miffed, but it's been TWO years!! Talk about a bitch holding a grudge!

"Get your ass in gear Kouga, the elder is waiting for you."

I turned my back to her, taking the time to slowly drag the brush through my hair. Her eyes were burning holes in the back of my head, but I couldn't help it!! Teasing Ayame was a hell of a lot of fun! I tied my hair in a leather strap and was about to turn around when someone grabbed me by hair, "Come on pretty boy, I don't have all day!"

She pulled me down the trail to the cave where a fire was burning brightly. Gathered around the fire were several males and the elder. The floral arrangements I saw the females arranging earlier was placed by the doorway and tastefully placed around the inside of the cave.

Ayame shoved me in the door, nearly making me trip. "Ah, Kouga, how nice of you to finally join us. I see you have gotten reacquainted with Ayame?" The elder smiled, making the lines in his wrinkled face deepen.

I massaged my tender scalp, "Yeah, she's as violent as ever." The other males laughed at the antics of the dominant little female. I bowed to the elder, "It is nice to see you again elder, but why have you called me here?"

He motioned to a large, fur covered cushion on the other side of the fire, directly across from him. "Please Kouga, have a seat."

Once I sat down, he called over a few young females. They passed out cups and poured sake. I took a sip, letting the tingly heat form the alcohol work its way through my body, loosening my tense muscles and relaxing my mind.

Plates were passed out and platters of food were brought in. I heaped my plate with chicken and pork, rice balls, seasonal fruits and berries and a variety of steamed vegetables. I only knew two out the seven males that I dined with, one being Eito. The elder laughed and talked with everyone. His happy demeanor didn't fool me. Something was on his mind.

We feasted until the sun was completely gone, leaving behind a blanket of stars in the night sky.

Elder clapped his weathered looking hands together, drawing our attention to him, "Alright, now that we all have full stomachs, and sake hazed minds, its time to get to the reason of why I summoned Kouga to this meeting."

He paused, giving me a fatherly look of concern over the calm flames of the fire. "How old are you Kouga?"

Huh? Okay, I knew we were going to have a serious talk, but what the hell does my age have to do with anything? "Uh...... I'm a 137, why do you ask?"

He chuckled at my quizzical expression, "You are still a pup compared to this old man!" The elder continued to laugh as he laid his hand across his chest, "Do you know how old I am Kouga?"

Now that was a good question. He knew my father and grandfather, but I had no idea what his age was. "No....I guess I never thought about your age."

His aged hazel eyes looked at me, "I am 612 years old. I am the oldest wolf of all the tribes."

"Wow, I, I knew you were getting up there in years, but I had no idea you were that old." I stuttered out as another broad smile crossed his face. The other wolves sat in a stunned silence at his confession.

"And that is exactly why I called you here. Look around you Kouga. These are my strongest and most loyal warriors. They are the protectors of this diminishing pack. Have you noticed how few wolves are here compared to two years ago?"

"What happened to the others?" I asked.

"Many have died during battles, some left after marrying into other tribes. Over the last two years we have had several fights with the neighboring grey wolf tribe. They are determined to take our mountain home. I can't let that happen. Your father and I fought side by side to win this territory from many species of youkai. As our numbers dwindle, there attacks are becoming more frequent and fierce. We have 35 males but only19 females, most of those females are still too young to mate. If the grey wolves are not stopped........ we will all die." His stared blankly into the flames.

"How is this possible?" I asked, feeling dumbfounded. "You are strong, and so were the other members of this pack! How could a scrawny group of grey wolves cause this much damage?"

"The strength of a pack comes in numbers....you know this Kouga. Look at your own pack. How many wolves are in your tribe at this time?" The elder crossed his arms, intently looking at me.

"Um..... about 173, plus 9 of the females are with pup."

"If you were attacked by a tribe of 60 wolves, you would not worry, because you have members to fight for the land. But my tribe is so small in number that we can't hold off an attack of that size....."

I interrupted him, "Is that what this is all about? You want my tribe to help protect yours? If that's all you need you should have just so, I'd be happy to help...."

This time he cut me off, sounding annoyed, "No no Kouga! If this were so simple, I would have invited you AND several of your closest warriors!" He paused looking down at the cane in his lap for a second, then he looked me right in the eyes, "I don't just want your protection, I want you to take my position as leader of this pack. Combine my pack and yours, make us one big pack so that we may prosper."

The word 'combine' stuck in my head, as I rolled around it's exact meaning. Deals like this wasn't unheard of, but they were pretty rare. Ookami youkai are naturally proud creatures, and we don't admit defeat that easily. What I didn't understand was the fact that the 'combining' of wolf tribes usually took place through............. oh shit!! "Whoa!!! Hold on a minute!!" I jumped to my feet, "Don't I have to take a mate from THIS tribe in order for us to unify our packs?!"

The elder smiled at me, "Exactly! Your not as dim as I first thought!" he waved for one female to come over to him, "Go fetch Ayame." he ordered.

"Ayame!! You wouldn't actually tie me to that bitch would you? That's just cruel!! She hates me!" The elder found this amusing, I wish I could feel the same way, "Look, if you want help repopulating your territory, I could relocate some of my tribe here and help you kick the grey wolves ass's, but there is no way in hell I am going to mate with...."

"Ayame." The elder beamed as the shapely red haired woman walked in. "Sit next to me dear." She demurely sat down, but didn't fail to give me a dirty look.

"Kouga," his voice was stern, "Sit down."

I reluctantly plopped onto the cushion. "Good. Now, at your age Kouga, most males take a mate, especially males of power. You should have already had at least two strong sons to take your place. Since I have no living pups, I adopted Amaye. She is the strongest of the females and.." Ayame puffed up, sitting tall at the compliment, giving me a smug look, "...will make a fine mate for you."

"WHAT!!!!????" Ayame roared.

Hah! I bet she wasn't planning on on that little announcement! "Elder!! This is impossible! I despise Kouga! I can't and won't be his mate!" she stubbornly crossed her arms over her soft leather chest covering.

"Oh, do you have another male who desires to be your mate?" he asked.

"Well, n-no, but I.." Ayame edged her way toward the door.

"Then there is no reason why you cannot become Kouga's mate." the elder stated.

"No! We talked about this before elder! I want to honor you and you happy, but I can't be tied to that human loving bastard!"

"Maru, Harou, take Ayame to her den, and don't let her out of your sight." Two of the warriors stood, taking Ayame by her arms. She struggled against them, pleading with the elder to change his mind. Eventually, they led her out of the cave. I could hear her sobbing and yelling commands to release her.

"Ya know, I haven't exactly agreed to all of this." I said, trying to appear confident under his intense gaze.

"What is there to agree on? I was, and still am a close ally to your pack. I knew your father and his father, and his father before him! I have witnessed the lives and deaths of three generations of your family, I have lived through much suffering and heartache! I was sitting beside your father when you were born! Your grandfather helped bury my first mate who died during childbirth. Your father was the one to cut down my second mates body from the tree where she hung herself after the death of our pup. Her suicide almost destroyed me, but he helped me heal and find another mate; my last mate. The grey wolves killed her as a warning to me. They warned us that if we did not leave, many more would meet the same fate. Your father and his tribe helped beat them back, away from our borders. With our joint effort, my people were safe. But now the grey wolves are back!"

"I know all that you have been through and I feel sorry for you but...."

"Save your damn pity!!" he shouted at me. His aged hand grasped the cane, vigorously shaking it at me, "I did not call you here for sympathy! Don't you see Kouga? This is what your ancestors wanted. Your father wanted me to betroth Ayame to his only son, to YOU! But I said no. Ayame is a lovely girl and I knew the two of you would find each other without being forced. I don't like arranged matings, they always end in disaster. When Ayame was a child and told me that she loved you and you asked her to be your mate when she grew up, I though my heart would burst with joy! But over the years, you two have become distant. Honestly, I wasn't worried about that. To me, it just gave Ayame time to become a strong and worthy mate. But then, I heard something that I passed off as a unfounded rumor because I knew it could not be true. Do you know what that rumor was Kouga?"

I shook my head. I have never seen him so angry or determined.

"I heard that you were in love with a human, and not just any human, but a miko. Do you have any idea how silly that sounds to me? I do not personally hate humans, but I would never degrade myself by taking one as a mate. Miko's have the power to kill demons. What if she decided to wipe out your tribe Kouga? Do you think you could stop her?"

"You didn't know Kagome! She cared for all living creatures!" I was pissed. How dare he insult her like that!

"I don't need to know her! If you mated this human and made pups they would be HALF youkai! Surely you are aware of the weaknesses of hanyous, hell, she traveled with an inu hanyou. Are you so selfish as to bestow that horrible fate on your pups and destroy your pack? Every youkai around would do their best to destroy the hanyou pups and take your lands. Is that what you want for your people?"

My heart broke again. He was right. If Kagome did choose me, our pups would have lived a miserable life, forever hunted because they were considered unfit to carry such a mixed heritage. In my own way I felt sorry for Inuyasha, even if I did put him down for being a half breed. It must have been hell for him to grow up alone, hunted constantly.

"You ignored my first request to come here and assist me. You turned Ayame away, telling her you loved the human miko. The only good thing to come from that whole fiasco was the destruction of Naraku!" his voice softened, "This is your chance Kouga. It is your chance to make your ancestors proud by combining our packs, by uniting our people and making them strong, by having the strength to do what is right. This is what your father always wanted. Ayame will adjust and so will you. If you refuse me this time, then we might as well leave this mountain and hand it over to the grey wolves. We cannot survive another fight."

At that moment, I realized how haggard the elder was. He was desperate for my help. How could I say no? I knew his words were true; this is what my father would have wanted.

We sat in silence as I digested my fate.

"Kouga." I looked at him, his tired eyes reflected the low flames of the fire, "Why don't you go talk to Ayame? I had her 'escorted' back to her den so she wouldn't run off. Talk to her Kouga, try to make amends."

"When do you want the mating ceremony to take place?" I asked.

"Don't sound so enthusiastic." the elder verbally jabbed at me.

"Look, I'll do what I have to, but I don't have to be all happy about it! Ayame doesn't love me and I don't love her." I stood up, working the kinks out of my legs.

"Go to her tonight. In the morning return to your tribe, make the necessary arrangements for them to move here."

"Hold it, we never discussed us moving here. It would be easier for your tribe to move to my territory."

"Be reasonable Kouga." the elder scolded, "Your lands are beautiful, but they cannot supply all the food your growing pack needs. This mountain and surrounding valleys are twice the size of your lands, plus we have more prey than you do. I know you are aware of the animals migrating to this area and leaving your valley for extended periods. It is only logical that you move your pack to this area."

Shit! Once again he was right. "Fine. I'll talk to them in the morning."

I left, feeling totally defeated. This wasn't how I planned my life.

I went to Ayame's den. I told the guards to leave, we needed privacy.

She was curled up with her back facing me, crying into the soft blankets that lined her bedding. "Ayame." I reached for her, gently touching her back. No matter what happened in the past, I hated to see her cry.

"Get the fuck out Kouga! I don't ever want to see you again!" Her eyes were red and face blotchy from crying so much.

"This isn't any easier for me Ayame." I sat beside her bed, releasing a deep sigh, "There's no way for us to get out of this. It's like elder said, I have to do the right thing."



"How thoughtful of you!" she said smartly as she sat up glaring at me, "If you had done 'the right thing' before when I told you that we needed your help, all of this misery never would have happened."

"Don't blame this shit on me!" I yelled back at her.

"Kouga are you that fucking stupid? When I came to bring you to our mountain and found you with that human girl, what did you think my purpose was? It wasn't just because I wanted you to keep your promise to me, but the elder needed you! If we had extra help then, our tribe would still be intact now and you could still be out chasing whatever bitch you wanted."

"So that's what you're so pissed about!? You hate me because I can't return your feelings?" I saw her hand reach out, but didn't expect it to connect soundly with my cheek.

"You are so arrogant! Kouga, you don't know how much you hurt me when I had to return to my pack alone. I failed everyone. Elder trained me to be a fighter, to be strong. I worked hard to impress you, but you didn't care. I loved you Kouga, with all my heart. When the others found out you chose a human female over me, I was laughed at, ridiculed. It was said among the tribe males, that if the mighty Kouga didn't want me, then I must not be worthy of having a mate. That's why I hate you." Her tiny fists went to strike, but this time I was on my guard and grabbed her before she could punch me.

I pulled her on my lap, looping my arms around her torso to trap her flailing arms. She struggled to get out of my hold, but I refused to let go. Finally, she stopped fighting me and let her face rest against my chest. Her warm breath and hot tears trickled on my skin. "I'm sorry Ayame." I whispered as I placed a kiss on her forehead, "I am so sorry. I had no idea I hurt you so much or caused so many problems." Her long red hair tickled my arms as I gently rocked her fatigued body like a pup. She continued to sob, "shh....everything's going to be fine. I'm leaving tomorrow to start moving my tribe to these lands." I released one arm so I could tilt her head back. My blue eyes were met with the most entrancing forest green orbs imaginable, "I'll make things right Ayame, I promise. I won't disappoint you again."