InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ March Winds ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"March Winds"

by Hentai Jane

Disclaimer: I hate disclaimers. Does everyone reading this fic know that I don't own Inuyasha and Co.?

DON'T FORGET: KOUGA IS TELLING YOU THIS STORY!! IT'S ALL FROM HIS POV!!

CHAPTER 3

I couldn't sleep last night, so I watched a new day begin. The sunrise reminds me of a birth. Each is new, different, marking it's arrival in some unique way. Today as the sun slowly climbed above the mountain peaks, a few shimmering rays of golden light reached through the thin scattered clouds that threatened to cover its beauty. Lighted fingers tickled the countryside, gently waking the world from its slumber.

After taking a moment to stretch, I left the den. There's no point in sticking around or telling anyone where I am going. The whole northern tribe knows that our clans will soon join.

I wonder how my pack will take the news? Personally, I didn't want to leave our mountain, but what other choice is there? Elder is right when it comes to the lack of sizeable prey in my territory. The last thing I want to do is endanger the lives of my pack. Winters can be harsh. With more members, we'll need to start preparing for the next winter earlier than usual. That means there will be more meat to smoke and our crops will have to be bigger this year.

My mind was overloaded with worry as I ran toward my old homelands. I wished that with every step one worry would fall away from me, leaving me with a sense of peace, but that can't happen when you are a leader of so many ookami youkai. If I abandoned them, there would be fights for power and a great loss of life due to those power hungry individuals. Wolves are independent, but a pack has to have structure or it quickly falls apart. I am the alpha male, I hold their lives in my hands, and I will never let them down.

Speaking of letting people down, I still haven't figured out how Ayame and I are going to put aside our differences. I made a promise to her which I intend to keep, but she needs more than reassurances. Ayame deserves a mate who will love her with all his heart, she doesn't need someone who is only fulfilling a duty.

I increased my speed, determined to clear my mind before meeting with my pack. They, like any other wild creature, can sense tension. My presence can contain nothing but confidence and strength.

After traveling for a better part of the morning, the first set of mountain ranges that mark my home lands came into view.



Stopping short of the first dip in the valley below, I howled, releasing the sound slowly to give a comforting call to my pack. The music of their combined howls pulled at my heart, nearly bringing tears to my eyes. These youkai are my family, they are my heart, they are the reason I wake each morning. Without them, my life would be meaningless. For that lone reason, I will put aside the uncertainties plaguing my heart and do what is best for them, and when this obligation is met, I will do the same for my future mate. She will be content in the life forced on us, her happiness will come from my affections and proof that I am a strong and able male.

As I neared the stream that edges our mountain home, the laughter of pups reached my ears, along with a soft snubbing sound. Two males played in the shallow water, their fur clothes were soaked, surely, there mothers won't be too happy about it. On the bank, several feet away was a little brown haired female, sitting with her tiny legs drawn up to her chest as her half hidden eyes watched the other two pups.

They must have picked up my scent, "Kouga!!" the boys shouted as they came dashing over, their wet forms colliding against me. I fell backward and laughed at their playfulness. Now I recognized these two little trouble makers. They were two of my favorite pups belonging to a well respected family of my pack. The female was their little sister. "Why is she crying?" I motioned to the girl.

They looked at her and sneered, "When isn't she crying?" one boy answered. "Yeah," the other laughed, "she wanted to play with us, but she's only a female. There's no way she could be our equal at anything."

"Who taught you such a barbaric way of thinking?" I asked, feeling irritated.

"It's true!" exclaimed one of the boys. "Who does all the hunting and plows the fields for the tribe?" he asked.

"Males do!" answered his brother, "And who gives their seed to make the pups of our tribe?"

"Males!" answered the younger of the two boys.

"But who cleans the food and prepares the meals?" I asked. "Females do. And who suffers the pain of birth in order to repopulate our tribe? Only females. Who harvests the food from the fields, preserves them for the long winters, makes our clothing, tends to the den, comforts us when we are sad or lonely, and protects the pup dens from intruders when we are off in battle? Females do." I watched their faces take on a thoughtful expression as they reflected on the validity of my words.

I looked to the little female who had been listening to my speech. Her sweet face was streaked with tears. I was still siting from being tackled, so I patted my knee, silently telling her to come sit with me. She rose up on shaky legs. When she was close enough for me to reach her, I scooped her up and sat her on my knee. "Take a good look at this female." I told the boys, "One day, she will be someone's mate. She will bare the pups that will make our tribe strong, she will work side by side with you and the rest of our tribe." I passed my hand through her soft wavy brown hair, "Times are changing, and although females play a more passive role now, I can't help but think that in time, females are going to demand a more active role in society. They are strong, and smart." I looked at the boys who were gaping at me, "You should never suppress or deny anyone because of their gender. After all, strength doesn't come form what's between your legs, it's comes from within your heart."

My own words caused a painful twist in my heart. I looked at the little girl. She stared back at me with a gaped tooth grin and sparkling eyes, so full of life.

This oppression I spoke against was exactly what was happening to Ayame.

Before I had a chance to ponder over her situation, a deep voice echoed over the mountains, calling the pups. I saw one of my warriors, waving to me and his pups, spear in hand. "Would you like for me to carry you home?" I asked the tiny female. She nodded and climbed on my back. "Come on future warriors, catch me if you can!" I shouted to the boys as I sped away.

I listened to the sweet sound of her childish giggles, as she clutched the shaggy fur covering my shoulders. Her father smiled at the sight of his pups being entertained by the pack leader. I have never made myself unapproachable to ay member of my pack, wether young or old, they are all equally important.

"Papa!" she jumped from my back into her father's arms, "Kouga can run reeaaalllly fast! Did you see us?"

"I certainly did!" her father answered as he hugged her. He laughed when his male pups came running up the hillside, panting from trying to keep up.

Will I be a good father? My concern came from the way I was raised as a pup. Father was everything a male should be: strong, confident, a skilled fighter and hunter, good provider and an unquestionable leader. But he was also cold, void of fatherly affection. I don't remember ever being hugged by him or seeing him show my mother any sign of affection. I do, however, remember hearing him grunt and groan late at night when he and mom were alone in their chambers. When I was young I didn't know what they were doing. But when I got older and learned about mating, the thought of my parents doing..........THAT........was traumatic to my young mind! YUCK!! I vowed then, that when I grew up my pups would never hear THAT sound coming from me and their mother!! Shit like that can scar a pup for life!

I walked with them to our mountain home, surveying the area for any damage or disarray caused my two favorite lackeys. "Go get your mate and meet me by the rock." I told the warrior as I made my way to the huge grey boulder against a sharp incline of the mountain wall. I tipped my head back, summoning my people with a loud howl, I paused for a second, giving a shorter howl to let them know that I required the presence of every member.


I sat crossed legged on the boulder which had been worn smooth form previous leaders sitting in this same spot. I wondered what announcements they made and how they felt? This spot had witnessed much joy and sorrow. Today it will witness a drastic change. Knowing that this boulder will never again hear the announcements of my tribe after hundreds of years of inhabitation, saddened me greatly, but some situations were unavoidable.

It took some time, but eventually, my entire tribe gathered to hear what I had to say.

A sea of faces, beautiful faces full of trust, starred back at me, waiting for me to speak.

This was it, "Brother and sisters," I said, holding my upper body as straight and tall as possible as I scanned the crowd, meeting each set of eyes, "As you know, the Elder of the Northern tribe summoned me for an urgent meeting and what he had to say has left me deeply troubled." I paused, drawing in a deep breath, "The grey wolves have been attacking the northern wolves, slowly killing off members of their pack. Most of Northern tribe is dead, leaving only a small group of males as guardians." Gasps and sorrowful mumbles echoed throughout the crowd. "I know many of you had relatives and even children that lived in the north, I am terribly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the next bit of news won't alleviate your pain, but it must be said." An uncomfortable hush fell over my pack as all eyes were once again on me, "The elder made me an offer to mate with one female from his pack and unite our packs. We will live in their lands, making them our own."

This time, there were no whispers, but loudly stated fears and questions, "We can't leave here! My family as lived on this mountain for 4 generations!" "What about our crops?" "How are we going to move? I have one young pup and another on the way in two months, I'm too big to walk all that distance!" "What about the food supply?" "What about adequate dens?" So many voices bombarded me at the same time that I couldn't hear.

I stood, holding my hands up to the crowd, "Please be quiet!" I waited until all was quiet, "I understand your concerns, but think about the problems we are having here, our tribe is not without its own concerns. Take last winter for instance, we barely had enough food! Males were rationing food so the females and pups could have more. We are a growing pack who is running out of room for crop rotation. I hate to see what is going to happen this summer if we stay in this valley and try to plant in those fields, we may not have any crops at all! The northern lands have better access to water and the land is flatter. There are also more rivers cutting through the countryside so we can float our supplies down stream instead of climbing the rocky terrain. As far as where we are going to live, the northern mountains are twice the size of this one, plus their mountain homes have a huge labyrinth of underground caves and hot springs."

Fear rolled off them like acrid waves, "Don't be afraid of change. Remember, our tribe migrated to these lands nearly 300 years ago, before that time, our ancestors lived further south . They too had to move so the pack could survive. We are leaving, not only to help the northern pack, but to help ourselves. It hurts me to abandon our home. I, like so many of you, was born here, this place holds many valuable memories, but it is time to move on."

They looked a little less nervous, but not fully convinced. "I heard someone speak up about being pregnant and traveling. Don't worry about trying to walk, the males of the pack will take turns carrying you."

"When are we leaving?" asked a random voice.

"We need to start packing today. Gather your things and lets try to be out of here by tomorrow afternoon. I want to get there as soon as possible." I answered.

The ookami dispersed, each heading to their caves to pack away there memories and meager belongings. I don't have much to bring with me. The items that held the most importance were my parents mating bracelets and a yellow blanket my mother made for me when I was a new born pup. Its thick fabric was soft to the touch and dotted with tiny white stars. She kept it tucked away so that when I had pups, I could pass it on to them.

I wrapped the blanket and bracelets inside of a few fur bedspreads to make sure nothing happened to them during the move. Maybe Ayame will like the warm spreads and want to use them on our bed, or maybe she will strangle me to death with them while I sleep..........with that woman, Kami only knows what's on her mind.

We assembled hammock like carriers for the VERY pregnant females and long platforms covered in soft padding for the females who weren't as far along. The platform was a solid sheet of wood with two handles tied on each end so two males could carry the pregnant female.

Carts were made to carry personal items and young pups. I knew what I was doing was for the best, but it didn't make me feel any less shitty.

I felt ......... weak....... for giving in to the elder so easily. When I look at him, I see some of my father's characteristics. Elder had that look of determination and power just like my dad, but he also had a kindness that my father could never possess.

I needed some personal space so I walked around the base of the mountain to a place not far in the woods that holds a special meaning to me. Moist grass covered earth cushioned my knees as I knelt in front of two white stones. I bowed, with my palms pressed flat on each side of my head, until my forehead was resting against the ground. I raised up, sitting on my haunches. Are you proud of me father? I spoke to the sinking sun, watching it hide its brilliance behind the tree line from the rising face of night. What about you mother? I try to be kind like you taught me, I listen to my people and show them consideration like a good leader should.

This is the last time I will be able to visit their graves. My calloused fingers traced the carefully written Kanji, spelling out their names. When we leave, other youkai will quickly take these lands. I knew what had to be done to protect their graves from being defiled.

Being a good son, I drew my katana, striking the dull white stones with quick, powerful strokes. There chalky texture made it easy to reduce them to a pile of rubble. No future inhabitants would ever know that my beloved parents were buried under this ancient parcel of land; noone would disturb their timeless sleep.

When I was done, I stepped back, looking at the damage I caused. I dropped to my knees, eyes closed and shoulders slumped forward. My actions were honorable, my intentions were good. But no matter what my motive was, I still felt like I was betraying them by leaving.

"Forgive me." I whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By midday, when the golden sun hung high in the sky, we started our journey north. I helped carry some of the pregnant females and keep an eye on the rambunctious pups. They were so cute running circles around the wary adults of the group. I put Ginta at the front of the group and Hakkagu in the back, leaving me in the middle. Other warriors were placed between our stations in case of trouble.

We treaded along slowly under the warm sun, stopping occasionally for a water break or snack.

Our journey lasted until the early evening. My pack was exhausted as we entered the northern territory. We were greeted by what was left of the northern tribe. They prepared food and dens for our arrival. Since they're friendly, I don't think there will many problems adjusting to our new home.

The elder was sitting on a mat drinking tea outside of a small den. "Is this one yours?" I asked pointing to the doorway.

"It is now." he replied, taking a sip of his tea. I dropped my bag against the cool stone of the mountain side and took a seat next to him.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I used to live near the top of the mountain, in a cave that my ancestors enlarged by hand chiseling the rock further into the mountain. It's very spacious; you and Ayame will have plenty of space to raise your pups there."

"I don't want your home!" I exclaimed. "Ayame and I can live in her den."

The elder laughed, "Don't feel bad Kouga. I don't need that den anymore because I am no longer the pack leader. Besides, what do I need all that room for? I am just one old wolf living alone with no mate, it's really a waste for me to inhabit such a large den." He glanced back at the entrance of his new home, "This den is cozy, thanks to the females. They decorated it very nicely for me and gave me a softer futon to sleep on."

Was that supposed to make me feel better? I kind-of kicked a old man out of his den!


"Back so soon?" came a bored voice, drawing my attention away from the elder. "I was hoping you'd be gone for at least a week. Of course, I also wished that a pack of crazed bear youkai would tear you apart on the way here so I wouldn't have to be mated to such a twit, but no such luck on my part."

"Well, well, if it isn't my charming little mate come to welcome her big strong male home with open arms!" I made a kissing sound at her. She turned, hands clinched at her sides and stomped away, "Don't think that 'hard to get' routine will work on me Ayame!" I shouted to her retreating figure, "I know you want me!!"

"Go to HELL!" she screamed.

Snickers and whistles sounded from the ookami who were standing around watching our little display of affection.

"Why do you taunt her so?" asked the elder, trying his best to smother his rising laughter.

"She gets pissed off way too easily. I just can't resist." I smiled at him.

"True. Ayame does have a temper." he agreed.

"Yeah, but she's cute when she's mad. When I went to her den after our meeting she was crying. I don't understand why the sight of her tears upset me, but it did."

"There is nothing to be confused about Kouga. Ayame is an attractive female. It is only natural that you would be attracted to the female whom will soon be your mate."

In my opinion, that was bullshit, but I nodded along, faking an agreement. Any man with a heart would be moved by a woman's tears. I rubbed my tired eyes, "I'm going to bed, see ya in the morning." He waved at me as I walked up the trail to Ayame's den.

She was standing in front of the door with a dagger strapped to her thigh. "Ohhh....that's a sexy look. Where ya goin'?"

"Great, " she snapped, "my day just keeps getting better!" She pushed her way past me and took off down the mountain toward the woods.

"Wait up Ayame!" I called out.

"Why? I don't want your company Kouga. I'll have to see you enough tomorrow and for the REST of my life!"

"We should get to know each other, and you still didn't answer my question!" Ayame ignored me, but I'm not the type of youkai that can be shut out.

"C'mon Ayame!" I whined, "Tell me where you're going." I stuck out my bottom lip as she stopped to look at me.

"I am going for a walk. I want to be ALONE." she made sure to speak slowly, placing a great amount of emphasis on each word.

"But why can't I come with?"

I like how her face turned red from anger, the color matched her hair quite nicely, "Arrggghhh!!" she yelled, pulling those lovely red locks, "Do you really need me to spell it out for you?" I gave her a confused look. Ayame sighed and rubbed her forehead, "Look Kouga," she started saying. Ayame dropped her hand, placing her delicate claws on her hips, "As of tomorrow, I will be the alpha female of this pack, not because I WANT to, but because I have been ORDERED to! Tomorrow I will marry a male that I DO NOT love and most likely never will. So, right now, I'm feeling a little depressed. Okay? Do you see where I'm going with this? I just need some time alone in order to preserve my sanity."

"Are you hungry?" I sniffed the air, taking in the scent of a rabbit burrow nearby.

"What? Didn't you just hear what I said?!" Her face contorted in disbelief.

"Huh, oh yeah, but I smell rabbits. Isn't rabbit your favorite meat Ayame?"

"Fuck Kouga!! You are so infuriating!!! Get lost, drown yourself, cuddle with a hornets nest, just do something, anything that involves you being far away from me!" I made a mental note that Ayame can yell REALLY loud when she's mad.

Now, to say that her last rant didn't hurt my feelings would be a total lie, and that's why I won't deny the pain she inflicted on my heart. I know I treated her like shit in the past, but it was so long ago, you'd think she would at least give me one chance to prove myself.

Oh well, women are stubborn creatures. I decided to go back to her den and get some sleep. Actually, it's no longer HER den, but OUR shared den. I smiled at that thought, but froze when a shocking realization dawned on me. I didn't think about Kagome for ONE whole day!

Maybe I'm starting to get over her, or at least face reality and let go of my delusional hopes of winning her love.

I lit a candle Ayame had sitting on a long wooden table placed against the wall closest to the door. The candle was short, obviously well used, and lacked the usual floral fragrance that most females enjoyed. Even the candle holder was plain looking, being made of a simple metal plate with curved edges to hold the dripping wax. As a matter of fact, I noticed that Ayame's den lacked many of the things that a female enjoyed, making her place as barren looking as mine. It was rare that a female lived by herself until she was mated, then she moved out of her parents den to her mates quarters. Perhaps that's why she didn't decorate her place. Ayame's parents died when she was young, so she never had a mom to teach her these things.

At least she had a comfy looking futon big enough for two. I unwrapped my feet, leaving the pile of dirty cloth on the floor, and flopped down on her futon.

OUCH! Shit, what did she make this out of, rocks? The ground was softer than her bed! For tonight, it would have to do, but my back was already starting to protest. After tossing and turning for a while, I found a reasonably comfortable position and started dozing.

"Hey! What are you doing in my bed!?"

I'd know that enraged voice anywhere, "I'm sleeping, what does it look like?" For once, I'm just too damn tired to argue with her.

"No you're not Kouga! You can't sleep in the same room with me until we are mated; it isn't proper!"

"So what! Everyone knows about our ceremony tomorrow night, and it's not like we are doing anything for Kami's sake!" I scooted to the other side of her bed, "C'mon Ayame, it's late. Let's get some shut eye." I yawned sleepily.

"Kouga."

Uh oh, I don't like that tone.

"Get out of my bed NOW." Her arms were crossed over her chest, giving her an extreme look of determination. It was clear that I wouldn't be sleeping here tonight.

"FINE!" I yelled, jumping up from her bed, "Happy now little miss 'I always get my way"!?

"Yes." she replied while straightening her covers.

"Where the hell am I supposed to sleep?"

"In the males den, with all the other smelly, hygienically challenged males of this tribe!"

Stupid, mean, pushy, controlling little bitch! I've never hit a woman before, but so help me, if I had just FIVE minutes I'd .......... WHOA!!

While I was standing around fuming Ayame took the opportunity to give me one hard shove out the door, sending me tumbling a good 14 feet down the mountain side. I landed on my stomach with my feet pointing up and hands gripping anything to stop my descent.

"Ayame! You'll pay for this you little....." BAM! Something big hit me in the head, knocking me back to the ground.


"And take your shit with you!" she yelled down at me.

I growled at her, grabbed my bag and went looking for the males den. My old guest den was taken, so I had little choice of where to go, unless I wanted to sleep in the woods........nahhh! Too many mosquitos and shit like that crawling around. With my luck, some gigantic youkai would attack me while I was sleeping and end my young life, making Ayame's wish come true.

If that woman thinks I'd be reckless enough to accidently end my life and leave her to live in peace, she better think again! From here on out, her life will anything but peaceful!

A huge cave came into view. I could make out the sleeping forms of some of my pack stretched out on blankets, sleeping peacefully.

I laid down, pulling the bundle of blankets under my head for a pillow, "You just wait Ayame." I thought of how to get revenge on my red haired soon to be mate as I laid there listening to the snores and loud farts of my pack.

Ewww....I hate sleeping in group dens!