InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Matchmaker ❯ A Quiet Morning ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: I promise to start twisting the plot next chapter. Things will accelerate rapidly. I don't own any of the originals.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
“So, what do you think?”
 
`Evidently she is not ready to sleep yet, so therefore, I am not.' Sesshomaru glanced at his mate from the corner of his eye. “Think of what?”
 
“What do you think of asking Hideaki if his daughter can come to visit and meet Merkamou? The daughter of the Lord of the North would be a great match for the Lord of the South. Then the three of you could stand against that bastard out east.” Kagome's eyes were shining in the dark room, her dark hair fanned out on her pillow.
 
“I believe that Hideaki would consider the offer. Merkamou would do well to discuss the idea with the lord, though. The daughter would have little to do with the arrangements, unless Merkamou wished to see if she were healthy.”
 
“No, no, no. They have to meet to see if they like each other! Come on, if it were Mizuki you know that you would want her to be happy.” A sharp poke was directed at Sesshomaru's shoulder to emphasize her point.
 
“Mizuki would be allowed to meet the male, of course, to see if they were a complete mismatch, but the arrangements would still be between the fathers.” Sesshomaru rolled over so that he could watch the unpredictable miko. She was not above burning him when she did not have a pup.
 
“Well, we should bring the idea up. And we should ask about his son while we are at it. As long as we are bringing out the nicest females in the court we might as well introduce them to two bachelors.”
 
A silence stretched out, and Kagome knew that Sesshomaru was pondering something. Unable to wait she pestered him. “Do you have an idea for Hideaki's son? I was focusing on Merkamou and didn't think too much on him.”
 
“Mizuki would be a possibility. You were discussing ways to strengthen alliances between the three lords, and she is my daughter. Even if she is a hanyou the offer might be considered.”
 
“Umm, Jo-chan? Mizuki is eight!” Launching herself up, Kagome glared down at the gold eyes next to her. “Unacceptable!”
 
“I am not saying that they would be mated now. Baka.”
 
That earned the great taiyoukai a smack with a pillow.
 
“I am saying that she could be betrothed to him.” Sesshomaru disarmed his mate and tucked the pillow behind his head.
 
“Ick! He is too old for her!”
 
“He is not much more than 100 years old. Mizuki will be grown faster than a full youkai, no older than 70 or so. It is not so long to wait, and it would give the male a chance to establish himself.”
 
A sad sound, almost a wail, escaped Kagome. “We said that we weren't going to talk about this stuff.”
 
“Nani?”
 
“We are not supposed to talk about how I'm not going to be here. My little girl won't be grown until I'm long dead. I won't get to meet her future mate, or see the next generation. What do I have left? 30, maybe 40 years? Damn it all to hell, it's not enough! I want to see my pups grow up! And what of the next pup I have? They won't even make it to adolescence before they have to bury their mother.” Hysteria was dragging Kagome down, her breathing becoming ragged.
 
Sesshomaru sat up quickly, seeing where this was going. Kagome launched herself out of bed, waving her arms in frustration. “It's not fair! I finally have what I want, but I know that my pups will grow up without me. For hundreds of years I'll be nothing but a memory! Will they even remember me? Will they tell their pups about me, or will I just be forgotten?” Kagome dropped to the ground, slamming her fist into the floor.
 
The scent of blood made Sesshomaru's body tense. He jumped from the bed and pulled the miko from the floor, holding her tightly so she could not do herself anymore harm. Carrying her back to bed he mumbled in her ear, trying to soothe her. She stopped struggling and collapsed against his shoulder, tears soaking his shoulder.
 
“I'm sorry, Sesshomaru. I shouldn't have lost it like that. I get so frustrated. I knew that this was going to happen, but it is hard when I can't just push it into the back of my mind.”
 
“I know, koishii.”
 
For an instant, Kagome felt raw pain, and it was not from her. The stoic face above her revealed nothing, but for that one instant she knew. He had already looked to the future, and saw himself alone for many centuries to come. She trailed a hand up to his face, tracing a finger over a maroon stripe.
 
“How will you . . . what will you do? I'm sorry, forget I asked. I know that I'm not supposed to ask.” Kagome buried her face in his shoulder, trying to stop her tears.
 
“I will live. I will care for our pups, and see that Katsuro rules these lands when I am done. I will think of you.”
 
“Do you . . . regret . . .”
 
“Never.”
 
Shivering at the intensity of his words, Kagome pulled his face to hers, pressing her lips to his. The kiss intensified, the two trying to bury their frustration and sorrow in a moment of passion. They may not be together forever, but at least for tonight they could be as one. For Sesshomaru there would be the memories of nights such as this. The memories to keep him warm for the centuries to come.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Kagome-chan?”
 
`You think she would grow out of this one day.' Kagome pulled the pillow off of her head, refusing to recognize the sun light pouring into the room. Part of her mind was startled to find Sesshomaru still next to her, holding her tightly. “Yo, Rin-chan.”
 
“A scout has spotted Hideaki-sama. He should be here this evening.”
 
Yawning, Kagome tried to stretch but found it impossible with the strong grip around her. “Arigato, Rin-chan. Make sure Kumo knows and I'll be down as soon as I can.”
 
“Hai, Kagome-chan.” Footsteps faded down the hall way.
 
`I will deal with this later.' Curling up in the warm embrace, Kagome tried to not worry about the problems outside of her door. Next to the bed Katsuro dreamed on, letting his parents sleep in for once. He was getting better, letting them sleep for most of the night. His parents were very grateful. Turning in the embrace, Kagome faced the beautiful face of Sesshomaru.
 
“Morning.”
 
One gold eye cracked open, giving her a bit of a glare. “Sleep.”
 
“Rin has already been by, and it seems that we will have two more guests for dinner.”
 
“Then this Sesshomaru does not have to worry about it until noon at the earliest.” The eye slid back shut, refusing to deal with the problems of the day just yet.
 
“Who's the bad influence, youkai?” Smiling, Kagome settled back down to doze the morning away. These peaceful mornings were very rare, and she was going to savor this one.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Forget it, Mizuki. I've already tried. It seems they have decided to stay in bed all day.” Rin steered her little sister away from Kagome and Sesshomaru's door.
 
“But we have company coming.” Mizuki glanced back at the door. “Shouldn't Mama be up?”
 
“I think that we can take care of it. What do you think?”
 
“Hai, Rin-chan. We should get Kumo-sama and let her know, too.”
 
“Exactly. Kagome-chan will be very surprised when she wakes up and finds out that everything is taken care of.” Ruffling the silver hair, Rin walked with her sister to Kagome's study. Kumo would probably be there, sitting at her own desk and dealing with whatever mix ups had occurred over the night.
 
As though the image were plucked from her mind, Rin found Kumo writing a note at her desk. Kagome had taught her former maid how to read and write more than a basic list, and now Kumo was an extension of Kagome and helped to keep things running smoothly. The former servant now had assistants of her own that took care of the ladies in her charge, even though she insisted on caring for Kagome herself.
 
“Good morning, Kumo-sama.” Bowing politely, Mizuki let herself into the room.
 
“Good morning, Mizuki-sama, Rin-sama.” Kumo set her note aside. “Have either of you seen Kagome-sama?”
 
Trying not to giggle, Rin spoke up. “Hai. She is still in bed, and showing no signs of getting up.”
 
Raising an eyebrow, Kumo looked Rin up and down. “And you are letting her?”
 
“I am not going in there with Sesshomaru-sama! There would not be enough pieces left for the Tenseiga to bring me back.”
 
“True.” Kumo pulled another note to the front.
 
“Kumo-sama?”
 
“Hai, Mizuki-sama?”
 
“Rin-chan and I would like to help you with anything you need so mother does not need to worry about it when she wakes up.” Eyes on the floor and hands neatly folded, Mizuki looked like a meek, obedient child. Rin felt the usual urge to poke her sister when she started this behavior.
 
“That would be much appreciated. I am certain that you will be of great help.” Pulling herself to her feet, Kumo led the two young ladies out the door. `And as long as she thinks she is helping me I can keep an eye on her. It has been a while since I carried a dagger in my obi, but with this family I doubt this will be the last time.' “Rin-sama, you should go to breakfast and keep an eye on the guests we have while Mizuki-sama and I take care of arrangements”
 
“Are you sure?” Rin met Kumo's eyes, sending a clear message.
 
“Hai, Rin-sama. Mizuki-sama will be fine with me.” Taking the pup by the shoulder, Kumo steered her out the door. “The first stop for us will be the guest rooms to make sure that they are ready.”
 
Two guards fell into step behind Kumo and the pup, keeping an eye on Sesshomaru's daughter.
 
Sighing, Rin turned towards the dining hall. `Damn, how did I end up on Merkamou sitting duty again?' She ran a hand over her hair, feeling it slipping from the tail she had tied it into. The hand continued down her clothing, the haori and hakama that were almost a uniform for her feeling rough under her hands. Her hand rested on the twin hilts at her side. She was going to take Ah-Un out after breakfast, so she had dressed for it in clothes that were sturdy and comfortable.
 
`Why do I care?' Despite her protests Rin's feet stomped back to her room, untying her hair and running a brush through it. Her fingers struggled to braid her unruly hair, binding it down into some semblance of control. One lock refused to stay where it belonged, falling to her eyes. Growling, she grabbed one of the combs from her box to pin it out of her eyes. Her reflection in the mirror caught her attention, bringing her focus to the young face looking back at her. She turned her head from side to side, examining the appearance.
 
`Plain brown eyes, unruly hair, too big of a smile. If it was not for Sesshomaru-sama no family would offer for me.' Snapping her head away from the mirror she slipped quietly to the dining hall.
 
Merkamou could see her sour mood from the second she walked into the room. The usual bright smile was missing, replaced by down turned eyes and quiet steps. She slipped into her seat with a mumbled greeting.
 
“You just missed your instructor, merlin. I am glad that I saw her, since I was again concerned for the safety of the palace ladies.”
 
“We have been busy, my lord. It seems that Hideaki-sama will be arriving this evening with his son.” Rin kept her eyes on her breakfast, not even glancing at the taiyoukai.
 
“And what will you be doing today? Will you be helping the other ladies to prepare for your guest?” His eye took in her dress and made an educated guess that she would not be staying indoors.
 
“No, my lord. I need to take Ah-Un out for some work before I can help in the palace.” It was a small lie, but Rin just could not stand the idea of staying inside and doing the quiet little tasks that would be required of her.
 
“Would you like some company? I would enjoy some time outside and I have not had many opportunities to see this area.”
 
Trying not to choke on her breakfast, Rin glanced up at Merkamou. “Uh, sure, if you want. I'm not going to be doing anything interesting, my lord, just flying around, and maybe doing some hunting so the kitchens have something good to cook for tonight, you know we have guests and everything so . . . “
 
“Merlin. I would be delighted to go flying around with you.”
 
Blushing scarlet, Rin proceeded to focus on her breakfast. `So much for peace and quiet this morning.'
 
After they had finished eating Rin led Merkamou through the palace so that they could retrieve Ah-Un from the stables. Passing through a corridor they found Kumo walking quickly, talking over her shoulder to Mizuki who was jotting down notes as she trotted along. Trailing behind the two females were two guards. None of them spared a glance for the other occupants in the hall but continued to walk. “The rooms have been aired out, but the beds need to be turned and fresh flowers need to be brought in. We will also need to assign an extra servant to the wing for the remainder of their stay . . .” The voices disappeared around a corner.
 
“Merlin, did I just see Sesshomaru-sama's eldest playing scribe to Kagome-sama's assistant?”
 
“Please, my lord, do not ask. It keeps her out of trouble.” Rin shook her head as she looked down the corridor where her sister had disappeared.
 
The rest of the walk to the stables was silent. Ah-Un saw his ningen and let out a loud rumble of greeting, rubbing both heads against her. The tack was settled into place quickly, and Rin led her beloved mount out onto the grass. Swinging two bows and two quivers of arrows behind the saddle, she glanced over her shoulder. “Are you going to be able to keep up, my lord?”
 
Smiling at her challenge, Merkamou disappeared to be replaced by a streak of flame that darted about. “After you, merlin.”
 
Ah-Un leapt as Rin swung on, not even waiting for his rider to find the saddle before taking to the air. Laughing at the dragon's enthusiasm, Rin leaned low over the twin necks. Whipping through the clouds she let out a loud yell, dropping the reins to stretch her hands out and revel in the moment of freedom. A streak of flame kept pace with her, hissing and snapping in shared excitement as they soared.
 
Unable to help herself, Rin pointed at Merkamou. “You're it, Merkamou-sama!” Scooping up the reins she turned the dragon into a dive, leaving the baffled bit of flame behind in the clouds.
 
Not baffled for long, Merkamou was soon chasing the dragon through the treetops. Ah-Un was surprisingly quick for a bulky creature. He dived between branches before climbing back up to the clouds, hoping to lose his pursuer in the mist. It would have been easier if his rider would just stop giggling! Whipping around, the twin heads looked about for the flame that they had lost track of.
 
There was a hiss just behind Rin's shoulder. “Boo.”
 
“Eep!” The dragon spooked and took off with the equally startled rider. Racing through the clouds, Rin tried to make her lungs work again as she convinced the dragon to stop racing off. Laughter was echoing across the sky as she got Ah-Un turned around to face Merkamou.
 
“Not funny, my lord!” Wiping her tears of mirth from her face, she tried to fix the hawk with a glare. “It is very hard to stop Ah-Un if he takes off.”
 
“Oh, but merlin, it was quite funny. All of those eyes looking for me, and unable to see me. And I will not be held responsible, since you were the one to start it.” The flame spun around her before zipping off a short distance.
 
Carefully stretching her aching sides, Rin gave both of the necks in front of her loving pats. “Now that we have that out of our systems, my lord, should we find something for dinner tonight?”
 
“Hai, perhaps a nice boar.” There was no denying the anticipation in that hissing voice.
 
“Boar, huh? We will need to land, then. I doubt we will find any boar up here, to say nothing about Ah-Un scaring them off. He's not very sneaky.”
 
Ah-Un gave a definite huff at her comment.
 
“Very well, merlin.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Two large pigs were cleaned and tied on Ah-Un. `Well, I certainly did not plan on bringing back quite this much, but the fates had something else in mind.' The boar had been brought down quickly, arrows flying from Rin on the ground and Merkamou in a tree. The sow had rushed from the underbrush to attack Rin, but was stopped when the hawk dropped from the tree and brought her down with his talons. A quick slash from one of Rin's katanas and there was twice as much meat as planned. Unfortunately this meant that they had to walk back, but it had given Rin a chance to teach Merkamou about the flowers in the region.
 
Returning to the palace, servants pulled the future meal off of the dragon and dragged it into the kitchen. Ah-Un was led back to the palace to be cleaned off. Usually Rin would do this herself, but she was still in her blood stained clothing with her hair falling down. A bath was of the highest priority.
 
“If you will excuse me, my lord, I believe I will go and clean up.”
 
“Probably a wise decision. Greeting your guests dressed like that would give a rather frightening impression.”
 
Without thinking about it Rin poked Merkamou in the arm. Hard. “Hey! It is not my fault that I just helped to hunt down and butcher two large animals. It is bound to be hard on the clothes!” Realizing what she had done Rin went white. Staring at the floor, she waited for the yelling to begin.
 
Merkamou was rubbing his arm. “Easy, merlin. I will need that arm.”
 
“I am so sorry, my lord. I did not mean to touch you. It will not happen again.”
 
“Nani? Merlin, what are you babbling about?”
 
“My lord, I touched you without permission. I apologize.”
 
Tipping his head to the side, Merkamou stared at the ningen. “And the many blows you have landed on me did not count?”
 
“That was different, that was sparring and I had permission.”
 
“You have permission, merlin. I am not Sesshomaru, I am not going to rip your arms off for daring to touch my person.”
 
Rin glanced up. “Are you sure, my lord?”
 
“Considering that Kagome-chan has already hit me with considerable force on several occasions, it seems only fair that you should have the same opportunities.”
 
“Arigato, Merkamou-sama. If you will excuse me.” Rin bolted for the palace.
 
`Strange female.' Merkamou moved at a more leisurely pace, watching the activity in the palace as he made his way to his room. Rin was not the only one that needed to clean up after hunting for boar. Changing into a robe, Merkamou poked his head into the hall in time to see Rin skitter around the corner. `Damn. Now I have to wait. I hate waiting.'
 
Settling back on his bed Merkamou pulled out the story he had been reading. He would read until her heard the familiar sound of the merlin's feet rushing by, then he could finish his own clean up.
 
A memory flew by, almost too quick to capture. Rin was smiling at him, panting after helping to kill the attacking sow. Adrenaline was singing in both of their veins.
 
`No. Bad. Bad thoughts.'