InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Matchmaker ❯ War ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Merkamou was being just a bit too perfect, so it was his turn to be a jerk. And I felt bad for Mizuki, but it just had to happen. I saw Mayu as not so much a threat, but more like that annoying mother in law with the nasal accent. She just says stuff without thinking too hard about it. And she's convinced she is in charge, and everyone is happy about that. I'll do a chapter on the Northern court, it should be a riot. And now, finally, at long last, war. It only took me 24 chapters. Hee hee.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
The wind blew past Rin's face, tossing her ponytail about. Adrenaline and fear were fighting for control in her chest as she looked down at the force that was coming from the East. A black mass moved towards the combined forces waiting for them. On a rise she could just make out six figures watching over the coming conflict.
 
'Ryuutaisho and his sons.' A shiver whispered down Rin's spine at the sight. She remembered Isamu's taunt while she was injured.
 
That was just one taiyoukai. Are you ready to take on his brothers and father?
 
'I do not know.' Haunted eyes found the speck of white that was Sesshomaru. He was waiting with his forces, eager for his chance to rip Ryuutaisho apart. Just visible from a well protected position tucked into the side of a cliff was Kagome, her bow and arrows at the ready. This was the compromise between Sesshomaru and the miko.
 
"I already told you, I'm not going to hide like some helpless ninny! I'm fighting, and you can't do anything to stop me!"
 
"I do not want you with me in the front lines."
 
"I don't care what you want!"
 
Sesshomaru's hand landed on Kagome's arm, and she felt an iron clad control settle over her emotions. It was not soothing, but it did bring her overwrought emotions back down to a manageable level. Being on the receiving end of emotional influence was a new sensation. "What was that?"
 
"Since you are no longer yelling, I will assume that it worked."
 
"You just influenced me, like I do you."
 
"Hai. Myouga suggested that I may be able to do that."
 
"I don't know if I want to squash that flea or kiss him right now."
 
"I would prefer the first suggestion."
 
"Me too. Fine. I know I don't have any business in the front lines, but I won't just sit here and look pretty, either. I'm going to go up on that rise and use my arrows. I'll stay up there as long as I know you aren't in over your head."
 
"Hn."
 
'Yes, I will face all six of them if that is what it takes to protect my family.' With the return of her resolve, Rin turned so that she was looking at Sango instead of the fighters below her. Her instructor was calmly checking over her surprise for the enemy, looking as though nothing was happening. "Are you scared, Sango-chan?"
 
"Terrified." The exterminator straightened to look at her student.
 
"Good. I am, too."
 
"You will do your best, and the rest is up to luck and Kami."
 
A quivering sigh helped Rin to relax her body. "Do you need a hand with those?"
 
"Hai. They are heavier then I remembered."
 
In a neat row was Sango's surprise: poison bombs of exterminator design. It seemed appropriate to return the favor to Ryuutaisho. With a brisk wind from the west, these would be an unpleasant surprise for that dragon.
 
"Jaken-sama, will you be okay?" Rin looked at the toad that was shaking so hard he looked like he would come apart.
 
"I am fine! Unlike you ningen I have no fear of battle!"
 
"If you say so, Jaken-sama." The toad would be helping with the attack, using his staff to ignite the bombs that Rin and Sango dropped. As long as he did not pass out first.
 
"I think everything is ready." Sango sat with Kirara in her lap, watching the soldiers below them face off.
 
"Now what do we do, Sango-chan?"
 
"We wait."
 
---
 
"There's so many." Kagome looked down from her perch.
 
"Hai. Everything Ryuutaisho could put together. The first few ranks are probably conscripts." Akira stood at her side, watching with cold eyes. Kagome had insisted that Akira stay with her. Between the secluded location, Akira's guard, Kagome's guard, and the miko herself, the lady would be safe.
 
Rearranging her quivers, Kagome fidgeted in the tension. "I can't take this! Everyone is just standing around, staring at each other! Do something!"
 
"Each is waiting for the other to make the first move."
 
Kagome's eyes found Sesshomaru, a spot of white in the chaos. There was no worry now, just a cold desire for destruction. She shivered and pulled back, afraid that she would get sucked in. 'Killing perfection.'
 
A flash of orange caught Kagome's eye, as both groups of guards moved to intercept this threat. Snapping her head around, she spotted Shippo coming to a sliding stop when he spotted the sharp objects being pointed in his direction. "Save me, Kagome!"
 
"Hold! That's a friend of mine!"
 
The Captain spared a glare for Kagome. "Miko, that doesn't mean he is not a threat. You have peculiar taste in friends."
 
"Knock that off. Come over here Shippo, and what are you doing? You are supposed to be in Merkamou's camp."
 
The kit scruffed his feet, looking at the ground. "I snuck out. I told them I had a message, and then I tracked you up here. I was worried about you, Kagome! I didn't like the idea of you going into battle without me to protect you."
 
The guards glared at the impertinent kit.
 
"Oh, Shippo." Kagome swept him up into a suffocating hug. "Of course you can help protect me, and Akira-sama, too."
 
"I would be honored to defend the Ladies of the East and West!" Puffing up his chest, he turned to glare at the fighters gathering below them. "They better not try to touch either of you."
 
"I just want them to do something already. I am so tired of waiting."
 
"I think you will be getting your wish, Kagome-sama." Akira pointed to a ripple of movement in Ryuutaisho's forces. There was a roar building as the soldiers started to yell, challenging their opponents. Taunting them.
 
There was no reply from Sesshomaru's forces as they waited. Ryuutaisho would have to move first. The inu-youkai was patient, and he would wait for his opponent to start making mistakes.
 
The roaring echoed off of the hills, making Kagome's hands tremble. Shippo squeaked and ducked behind her, peeking out at the battlefield from his new refuge. The dragon next to her never moved, even as Ryuutaisho's forces charged across the grass, running to meet the waiting Sesshomaru.
 
---
 
"That's our cue."
 
Kirara and Ah-Un launched into the air, bringing their riders and the surprises with them. As the youkai swept beneath them, Sango and Rin swept low to drop the innocuous looking balls. Jaken clung to the back of Ah-Un, using his staff to ignite the bombs once they were on the ground. With each explosion there was a larger cloud of green smoke spreading across the battlefield. The wind blew it towards Ryuutaisho's forces, sending any caught in the smoke to their knees while gasping for breath.
 
"That is the last of them, Sango-chan!" Rin pulled Ah-Un up towards the clouds, watching the chaos that had once been an organized charge. The uninjured were regrouping and continuing the charge, but the wind had been knocked from their sails.
 
On the hill Rin could see two of Ryuutaisho's sons transforming, preparing to take to the sky. 'Shit.' "Sango-chan, we have a problem!"
 
"Retreat!" Jaken clung to the back of Ah-Un's saddle as he shook.
 
"Shut up, Jaken-sama!"
 
"We take them, Rin-chan. If we can get them near Kagome-chan she can help, or one of the taiyoukai can jump in." Sango had Hirakotsu at the ready, facing the oncoming threat.
 
"Hai, Sango-chan. Jaken-sama, hang on." Rin drew one of her katanas, watching as the dragons approached.
 
"Oh no!" Jaken wailed as Ah-Un climbed towards the two taiyoukai.
 
---
 
"Attack."
 
The green smoke had blown into Ryuutaisho's forces, leaving confusion and injured youkai in its wake. Now that the battlefield was clear Sesshomaru sent his own forces charging across the grass. Tokijin was in his hand, and the thirst for revenge would finally be sated.
 
Moving with a grace that no creature of death should possess, he cut into the chaos, slashing down any that wore the dragon's crest. He slid through them, hardly noticing most of the attacks. His goal was on the hill, watching over the bloodshed that was his doing.
 
Ryuutaisho.
 
Even with his single minded purpose, Sesshomaru was aware that his forces were outnumbered. As long as Ryuutaisho and his sons were killed the victory would be his, but the sons were taking to the sky. Claws and poison would take their toll on the troops, turning away the advantage of Sango's attack.
 
'If Akira betrays me, I will see her die very slowly.'
 
---
 
Another arrow whipped through the air, destroying a handful of youkai. "There are too many, Akira-sama! I think we're in trouble."
 
"Wait for it, Kagome-sama." Akira's eyes were locked on the battle, waiting. Seeing a flash of light, she pulled out a mirror of her own and flashed light back towards the battle.
 
A new roar erupted as part of Ryuutaisho's forces turned on their comrades, tearing them apart. A closer inspection showed that these forces had a slightly different uniform.
 
"What did you do, Akira-sama?"
 
"Those are the forces from my family. Ryuutaisho was a fool to put them into battle. His desperation will be his downfall."
 
Attacked from two sides and still fighting off the effects of the poison bombs, Ryuutaisho's forces fell back. More of the taiyoukai were taking to the sky, leaving only Ryuutaisho and one son to watch the carnage.
 
"My eldest, Yukio." Staying back, Akira watched as her sons attacked from the sky, not caring what uniform they hit.
 
High above them Kagome could see Rin and Sango locked in combat with two of the dragons. "Rin-chan! Sango-chan!"
 
Seeing the two ningens twisting through the sky with her sons gave Akira a feeling of hopelessness. "You should not watch, Kagome-sama."
 
"We have to help them, Kagome!" Shippo was frantic as he saw the two so overmatched.
 
"Shows what you know. It would take a hell of a lot more then a couple of dragons to bring those two down." The Captain growled to himself as he tried to keep his attention off of his protégé. "No matter what else may be said about them, ningens are too stubborn to give up."
 
Releasing another arrow into a group of unfortunate youkai, Kagome smiled. "Arigato, Captain."
 
---
 
"Hiriakotsu!"
 
The dragon dodged the first pass, but the second pass of the giant boomerang caught it in the chest. Roaring, the dragon swerved away from the attacking ningen. The smaller of the two was diving at Ah-Un, only to be distracted when it got a face full of flames.
 
"Take that, you slimy lizard!" Clinging to Ah-Un with one hand, Jaken was still putting in a decent performance with his staff. "Face the wrath of the Staff of Two Heads!"
 
With a growl the smaller dragon swerved around the fire attacks to aim a swipe at Ah-Un. Twin blasts from the two heads helped to keep Rin's mount in one piece as he got in close enough to let Rin have a shot.
 
A long gash opened up along the dragon's face. A dragon would not be susceptible to dragon's blood, but there was still some smoke as the cut sizzled. It was more then Rin had hoped for. Ah-Un swept under the dragon, dodging claws to give Rin a shot at the soft belly. Black blood dripped on Rin as the dragon roared. A snap of the tail almost unseated her as her arm was slashed open.
 
A burst of flame from Jaken gave Rin time to recover. A roar from Kirara showed that she was still very much in the fight. Hirakotsu took another chunk from the dragon, but was knocked to the ground. Sango drew her short sword. "We have to get them down, Rin-chan!"
 
"That will never happen," the smaller dragon roared at them, belching a cloud of black poison.
 
With masks on Rin and Sango were safe, but the youkai were not. "Climb, Ah-Un!"
 
Rin was wracking her brain. With this many enemies she could not repeat her stunt that had worked with the single taiyoukai. 'How the hell do we get them down?'
 
Leaving Ah-Un to steer himself, Rin pushed up the shoulder plate of her armor to pull out some rope. 'This had better work.'
 
The end of the rope was tied around the hilt of a katana. Holding the sword rather like a spear, the exterminator and youkai charged the dragon. Throwing with all of her strength, she buried her katana to the hilt in the dragon's neck, actually braced against the spine. Ah-Un looped around the dragon's neck, wrapping the rope around it.
 
Howls of rage echoed across the sky as the dragon realized what was happening. His brother's attempt at rescue was thwarted by a blast from Jaken and a charge by Kirara. Ah-Un was straining against his captive until Kirara slammed into it.
 
"Kagome-chan!"
 
The miko watched as her friends dragged the struggling dragon down, bringing it within her range. "Hai, Rin-chan!"
 
She notched an arrow, waiting for her shot as the larger dragon dived again to rescue his brother.
 
Three screams split the sky as not one, but three hawks dived at the loose dragon. Distracted, the smaller dragon was pulled down to the waiting miko. There was a flash of pink, and the defiant roars turned into pained howls. The arrow began to purify the dragon, starting at the chest and spreading through the creature. A second and third arrow sent the energy coursing faster through the taiyoukai, ripping the body apart.
 
Rin dove in to retrieve her katana, yanking it free of the dragon and the rope. Using her freed weapon she was able to slash through the dragon's throat, sending it to the ground. Sango retrieved her boomerang and used it to deliver the final blow, removing the head.
 
"One down, five to go!" Sango and Kirara arced back into the sky to assist the hawks with Rin, Ah-Un, and Jaken right behind them.
 
---
 
Slicing through another lowly youkai, Sesshomaru looked up the rise, locking onto Ryuutaisho and his son. There was nothing between them anymore, and for the first time the two enemies saw each other in the flesh.
 
Ryuutaisho gestured to his son, sending the reluctant young lord into the sky. The Lord of the East would face this threat alone. "Sesshomaru."
 
"Ryuutaisho."
 
"What a pleasure to finally meet you." The dragon moved towards the inu-youkai, smiling at his opponent. "I hope to have the pleasure of meeting your mate today as well."
 
A deep growl rolled through Sesshomaru's chest as he snapped Tokijin into a guard position.
 
"A ningen. How the mighty have fallen. My mate may be troublesome, but you will notice that my sons are all pure blooded taiyoukai. There will be no disgusting mutts ruling my lands."
 
Mentioning Sesshomaru's pups was a serious miscalculation. A surge of fury ripped through him, images of his son and daughter under attack goading his bestial nature into action. A snarl marred his usually flawless face as he swung Tokijin, sending a blast of power at Ryuutaisho.
 
Leaping away, Ryuutaisho sneered at his opponenent. "Pathetic. She has made you pathetic and sent you to your destruction."
 
"You talk far too much." Another blast from Tokijin gouged the earth, leaving a long canyon. Ryuutaisho leapt back, his hair singed but otherwise untouched.
 
"Do you truly intend to fight me like this? Have you become so tame that you cannot release your true self? This is very sad, Sesshomaru. So long I have longed to face you, only to find that the Great Lord of the West is a lap dog to a miko."
 
Lunging forward, Sesshomaru closed the distance and forced Ryuutaisho to draw his own weapon. The blades sparked when they hit, the two taiyoukai locked together as they pushed. Tokijin surged with power, forcing Ryuutaisho back again. Blows rang out as the two swung, trying to find the other's weakness. Leaping away from a lunge, Sesshomaru's poison whip snapped into existence. It lashed out to strike Ryuutaisho across the shoulder, leaving a smoldering gash. His opponent snarled and leapt, colliding with Sesshomaru in mid air.
 
The two hit the ground, grappling with each other. Ryuutaisho caught Sesshomaru's wrist in his hand, slowing him enough to allow the dragon's sword to find its target and twist. The inu-youkai snarled as he knocked his opponent aside and pulled the sword out of his own body. It would take more then that to kill him, but it would slow him down. Wheezing from the damage done to a lung, he faced off with the now unarmed dragon.
 
"I will show you how a true taiyoukai does battle." Ryuutaisho's form twisted as power surged around him. A black dragon with crimson eyes took his place, the claws leaving long furrows in the ground as they flexed in anticipation.
 
It was a giant white dog that now faced him, poison dripping from his fangs to leave burning craters beneath him. Blood was still running from his chest, but Sesshomaru would ignore it. The dragon in front of him would be destroyed.
 
---
 
The second of the dragons crashed to earth, driven down by the three hawks. Shippo let out a cheer before remembering who was behind him. "Gomen, Akira-sama."
 
Akira ignored the kit, instead focusing on the battle outside. She had seen the last of her sons take to the sky, and he was now raining destruction down with his brothers. Yukio seemed to be looking for something as he swept over the fighting youkai, and Akira had the overwhelming urge to hide. "Kagome-sama, we may wish to retreat into the cave."
 
"Why?" The miko unleashed another of her arrows into the youkai, the now familiar flash leaving nothing but some small piles of ash.
 
The flash was not missed by the hunting dragon. He swerved to turn towards them. Frantic, Akira grabbed Kagome's arm. "We must move before he finds us."
 
"Too late!" Shippo pointed as the dragon in question zeroed in on their location, ignoring the battle in favor of tracking down the miko.
 
"Get in the cave!" The Captain physically forced Kagome back, pushing her into the shelter as the latest threat came to a stop and watched them.
 
"Mother. What a surprise." The deep growl of the dragon sent small rocks tumbling down from the cliff.
 
"Yukio." Akira moved from the back of the cave to look towards her son.
 
"I should have known that you would turn traitor. And with a miko." The dragon drew back, preparing to poison every occupant of the cave as the guards tried to find a way to get the ladies out.
 
"Fox fire!" Shippo jumped to the mouth of the cave, giving Yukio a face full of flames. Not the tiny puffs he would manage when he was younger, but now a large blast of fire that succeeded in driving the dragon back and stopping the attack.
 
An arrow from Kagome whistled by, grazing the dragon as it swerved away and leaving a long burn down its side. "Damn it, hold still!"
 
---
 
"Kagome-chan!" Rin could see a dragon that was now focused on Kagome's hiding spot. Leaving the battle in mid air, she sent Ah-Un diving down to save her friend.
 
---
 
A second blast of fox fire infuriated the dragon, his roars echoing through the cave and making Kagome clamp her hands over her ears. He charged, his claws stretching out to reach inside and rip the life away from any foolish enough to be in the way.
 
Twin blasts threw the taiyoukai's charge off, forcing him to swerve in order to avoid hitting the cliff. Ah-Un gave his matching roars as he swept out of the sky, bringing in Rin for the attack. "Get away from them, you over grown lizard!"
 
As Ah-Un swept by there was a blast of flame, Jaken's attack. The unlikely trio turned and whipped away, practically begging the taiyoukai to chase them.
 
Yukio turned away from the females hiding in the cave so he could deal with this attack from above. Without a second glance, he chased the two headed dragon across the sky.
 
"That was way too close." Shippo dropped into a sitting position on the ground. "I don't want to ever be so close to a mad dragon ever again."
 
"Rin-san should enlist the aid of some of the other fighters if she is going to deal with my eldest." The deep blue eyes followed the twin headed dragon as they tried to lose their pursuer.
 
"Sesshomaru!" Kagome threw her head up, scanning the battle franticly. "He's in trouble! Ryuutaisho hurt him, and it's not good!"
 
"What are you doing, Kagome-sama?" Akira watched as Kagome threw a new quiver of arrows onto her back and slipped her bow onto her shoulder.
 
"I'm going to go save him, of course."
 
"You cannot go through this battle, you will be killed."
 
"I have to help him! I love him! Shippo, stay with Akira-sama!"
 
Akira stared as the tiny miko started to scramble down the cliff, slipping on loose rocks. Her guard was struggling to keep up on the unsafe footing. 'Is she insane? What is she doing?'
 
The dragon inside of Akira was roaring, howling for release. It strained against its leash, trying to break free and assist in the destruction of Ryuutaisho. Akira shook as she watched her friend scramble towards her certain destruction.
 
"Akira-sama, what do we do? We can't let her go. What are we going to do?" Shippo frantically darted back and forth across the mouth of the cave, watching Kagome as she struggled.
 
'Destroyed by Ryuutaisho. My mate. It is my fault all of this has happened. They are all fighting because I was too much of a coward to fight him myself. My mate, my sons, my responsibility. But I cannot fight him! He would destroy me!'
 
'My responsibility. My kill!'
 
The shaking intensified as Akira fought off her youkai urges. 'That is not my place. I have never fought before. A dagger in the dark, certainly, but nothing like this. It would be suicide.'
 
The miko screeched as she slipped and fell, tumbling into the youkai war.
 
"Kagome-sama!" "Kagome!"
 
'My kill!'
 
'How can I let her go to a certain death at the claws of my mate? But can I help her?'
 
The howling deep inside of her grew as it fought to be free.
 
'Now! Now! Kill!'
 
For the first time in her life, Akira let go of the leash.