InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Matchmaker ❯ Kagome's Hesitation ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Matchmaker

Starlight Demon 22

*Taps the microphone* Is this thing on? It is? Great! I just wanted to say hi and thank you for reading my story! Also, I do not own the story of Inuyasha or the characters, they belong to the ever talented Rumiko Takahashi. I own Akemi, but that’s nothing as special as the other characters. *Sighs and wishes she did own them* Oh well. Enjoy the story and please leave me a review, just to let me know if you like it or not! Bye! *Waves wildly like a child*

Chapter 2- Kagome’s Hesitation
************************************************************ ************
The next morning the sun rose to shine in the window of a young woman. She lived in a shrine with her mother, grandfather, and younger brother. She didn’t know of the matchmaker or of the plans being made for her, all she did know was the life she had enjoyed for the past eighteen years of her life, granted that was her whole life. Currently she was still sleeping peacefully, a picture of innocent beauty. Her long inky black, wavy locks framed her pale face, her rose pink lips pouting slightly in her sleep, and her thin, pale frame stretched out over the bed enjoying the warmth of the blanket and sun.

Her unconscious mind heard a phone ring but she didn’t stir to get it. After about two rings it stopped anyway, someone else must have gotten it and thus if it were important they’d get her. Downstairs her mother, Mina, was on the phone with one Mr. Seiji Takahashi, to her surprise.

“Of course, Mr. Takahashi, I have heard of the youkai matchmaker.” she said as she sat down at the kitchen table with a cup of tea. She figured, if Seiji Takahashi was calling her and talking about a youkai matchmaker, she had better sit down. “She mentioned Kagome’s name? But Kagome’s not a youkai, we’re human.” Mina said surprised as she gripped the phone with something akin to a death grip, if she had had her way, she’d have snapped the phone in half.

She was silent as he explained the whole thing, telling her the final decision of the matchmaker; that his son, Inuyasha, and her daughter, Kagome, were to be married and mated. Kagome was to come stay with them, moving in, until that time in which they would start their lives together. Nothing was going to happen, mainly the mating and marriage, until both were comfortable with the other. Quite honestly, if asked, Mina would tell anyone she thought this a cruel and unusual joke by some prankster. She couldn’t believe that one of the richest men in the world was telling her his son and her daughter were meant to be together, when they had never even met each other before. It was until he mentioned Kagome’s powers that she knew it was legit.

“How did you find out about her powers?” Mina asked alarmed. Mikos were rare, ones of Kagome’s caliber were even rarer, and she fought to keep everything secret so no one would try to take advantage of her daughter. She listened as Seiji explained and sighed. “Of course I believe you, it’s just...surprising, to say the least. My daughter was raised to be as normal as possible. Very few ever learned about her spiritual powers, which is why I was worried when you mentioned them. I understand that your family can protect her and all, but Kagome wouldn’t know what to do with herself there. She wasn’t raised to...Yes I understand you can provide for her but she’ll be upset to hear such a thing. My daughter is a very open minded girl but also very independent, she won’t like knowing this decision was made for her.” Seiji seemed almost determined to have her say yes. Mina was getting frustrated with him.

“Yes, I know how the whole thing works,” Mina said sharply, “but the final decision comes from Kagome. I’ll not force my daughter, and neither will you, into making a decision as important as this. She’s just graduated from high school and has other things on her mind over marriage and families.” There was silence, which seemed to worry her. She was afraid of angering a powerful youkai like him. After a bit he spoke, slowly so she understood everything he said. “Yes, I will discuss this with Kagome and I will call you back with her decision.” They hung up, she sighed in frustration with the powerful man.

“Mina, Kagome is still asleep,” her father-in-law said sharply as he stormed into the kitchen to see her frustrated already. “She must be woken, sloth is a terrible sin for a priestess to pick up!” Rolling her eyes as she looked away she nodded as she got up.

“Of course, father, let me see if I can wake her up.” Mina said as she stood and left the kitchen. Her father-in-law meant well, helping her raise Kagome and Souta, but he was starting to hit the eccentric part of being elderly and that also meant getting on those nerves on the days it wasn’t such a good idea. They had moved in after the death of her husband, she had never worked before because he had been such a wonderful provider and she didn’t need to. The Kagome had been inconsolable after learning of her father’s death, Souta being too young to remember at the time. The lack of a father was sometimes obvious on the children but she had done her best. This decision she and Kagome were going to discuss was something that would put a whole new spin on her daughter’s life.

“Kagome,” Mina said as she knocked on the door and slowly opened it, “it’s time to get up, sweetheart.” She noticed her daughter out cold on her bed and sighed. Some days it was near impossible to wake Kagome up and other’s she was up with the sun. Today was one of the near impossible tasks. “Kagome,” Mina crooned in her daughter’s ear as she shook her, “it’s time to wake up.” Kagome rolled over with a small groan at the thought of waking. “Come along, there are some things we need to discuss after breakfast. It’ll be ready in ten minuets so get moving if you want a shower.” Kagome rolled over again and sighed in her sleep heavily, she was slowly waking up. Mina left the room and knocked on Souta’s room.

“Good morning, Souta,” she said happily as he opened his door. “Breakfast should be ready soon.”

“Okay mama, is Kagome awake yet?” he asked as he grabbed a t-shirt and threw it on.

“No and your grandfather is downstairs already at the breakfast table.” Mina responded. Souta nodded as he prepared to clean himself up to his grandfather’s specifications. Though Souta and Kagome loved him, they sometimes thought his rules a little extreme. Mina poked her head in Kagome’s room again to see her rolling, almost literally, out of bed. She headed downstairs to start breakfast and figure out when she should talk to Kagome about her morning phone call.

“Kagome should be down in fifteen minuets,” Mina said as her father-in-law looked up from the morning paper. “And Souta is on his way down, he just has to finish getting ready. What would you like for breakfast?”

“Bacon!” he said happily and almost childishly.

“Father, the doctor said to be careful of your cholesterol. Bacon is not on the diet he suggested for you. How about a warm bowl of oatmeal with some blueberries or strawberries?” Mina suggested as she pulled the box out for herself. She heard him sigh and looked to see him nod.

“Alright Mina, oatmeal it is. Blueberries please.” he conceded. She smiled and nodded as she prepared their breakfast before pulling out eggs for the kids. He stared at the eggs as she cooked them, she watching him out of the corner of her eye.

“How about some scrambled eggs to go with the oatmeal?” she asked him as he smiled and nodded. She scrambled up some eggs for him and served them as Souta walked into the room.

“Souta, my boy, are you ready for another day of training?” he asked his grandson excitedly.

“What are you going to show me today, Grandpa?” Souta asked as he was served a plate of scrambled eggs.

“Today we’re going to clean out the storage shed near the great well and I’ll teach you the history of some of the most ancient artifacts that these grounds were blessed with,” his grandfather responded. Mina smiled, that helped her get some alone time with Kagome.

“While you two do that, I’m going to take Kagome to the mall for some clothes for work and school.” Mina said as her father-in-law nodded in agreement. Just then Kagome stumbled in, still obviously tired, but all ready for the day. She sat down to be served a plate of scrambled eggs and a large glass of orange juice.

“Thanks mama,” she yawned tiredly.

“You’re welcome dear, do you have plans for the day?” Mina asked her as she fixed up two bowls of oatmeal.

“No, why?” Kagome asked as she woke up a bit from the orange juice.

“I figured we could go to the mall and buy you some new clothes.” Mina said. “We have a few things to discuss.” Kagome looked at her confused but nodded all the same. They ate peacefully everything in front of them, the children picking some fruit to eat as well as their eggs.

After breakfast Kagome stayed inside to help her mother clean up after their meal as the boys headed out to clean. Both Grandpa and Souta changed into some dirty clothes before going out. Mina had already put out a bucket of hot, soapy water for them to clean everything with. As they put the dishes away Kagome watched her mother, it was obvious her mind was elsewhere that seemed to almost worry her.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” Kagome asked curiously. Her mother smiled as she nodded and thought of what to tell her.

“It’s about a phone call I received this morning,” Mina said as Kagome nodded, she knew she had heard a phone in the house go off. “It was quite a surprise to me when I heard who it was.”

“Who?” Kagome asked curiously.

“Takahashi, Seiji,” Mina said sounding slightly winded. Kagome looked at her surprised as they walked into the living room. “Yeah, I know. I thought it was a cruel practical joke.”

“What convinced you?” Kagome asked her.

“The conversation we had, it was about you,” Mina said as Kagome looked at her even more surprised. Mina smiled at her as they sat down in the living room and put a hand on Kagome’s. “I want you to listen and not interrupt me, because if you do it’ll be harder to explain.” Kagome nodded as she prepared to hear what was going on.

“As you know, the Takahashi family is primarily youkai. In youkai tradition they normally have a matchmaker come in to match their children with appropriate people to marry and mate. Seiji has two sons, Sesshomaru and Inuyasha, who were recently visited by this matchmaker.” Mina said as she thought. “The custom is the male’s family is visited by the matchmaker, they contact the female’s family to make plans for her to be moved to their home and there they will prepare her for being mated to their son and if she’s human, their marriage.” She sighed as Kagome looked at her stunned as she listened, knowing what was going on.

“Seiji called to let me know you were named as his son’s, Inuyasha, future mate as picked by this matchmaker. I told him I would discuss it with you, it was your decision. I know how independent you are and I also know how upset you’d be if this kind of a decision was made for you.” Mina told her. Kagome nodded as she looked down in thought. “The reason I knew it wasn’t a joke is because he knew you had spiritual powers.”

“But...I don’t even know Inuyasha, why would I marry or mate him?” Kagome asked her. “I mean people blindly follow what she says?”

“Youkai do, apparently she’s never had a failing couple,” Mina said as Kagome sighed and thought. “I can call him back and tell him you said no if you want, but I thought I’d tell you what was going on so you weren’t blind sided. If you agree, and this is your decision, they’ll be here Monday to pick you and your stuff up. You’ll be moved into one of their bedrooms, more than likely with Inuyasha, and Izayoi, Seiji’s wife, will probably teach you how to be a proper mate to a hanyou like her son.”

“He’s a hanyou?” Kagome asked softly. Mina nodded as Kagome thought. “I don’t think it matters, I don’t really care about that. But why me?” Mina shrugged.

“The only one who can tell you is the matchmaker, and the youkai guard that secret with their lives.” Mina told her. “What are you thinking, Kagome?”

“That this is a surprise, I’m surprised,” Kagome said as she looked at her mother confused. “Why me? What if I want to continue school? What if I meet him and we don’t like each other? Or can’t stand each other? They’re going to put me in a room with him? Are they insane?” Mina put a hand on her shoulder. “I’m only eighteen! I’m not ready to be married or mated or whatever it is they call it!”

“Kagome, calm down,” Mina said as she put her other hand on her other shoulder. “Seiji told me they will not force you both to do anything until you’re both ready. So if you don’t want to mate and would rather go to school first, you’re going to go to school first and he’ll have to wait. I know for a fact, if he doesn’t honor your wishes his father will change that quickly. But I want you to think about it, because I can’t make this decision for you.” Kagome nodded as she looked down.

“I don’t know,” Kagome said softly. “What would you do, mama?”

“I would think about it, if I had to I’d take time alone and sit down and think about what I truly want.” Mina said softly. She smiled weakly at her daughter. She knew she had been blessed with both her children, and a fairly easy life despite the death of her husband. But she had never imagined, despite the spiritual powers her daughter was discovered to have inherited from her, that this was the life that may very well be chosen by the girl. She had always imagined a normal life for her.

Kagome got up and looked out a window, smirking as her grandfather and little brother splashed each other with the soapy water while working. If she agreed she’d miss that, and if she didn’t she risked the wrath of a powerful youkai and his family. She jumped when the phone rang and turned to watch her mother answer it.

“Higurashi Shrine, this is Mina speaking,” her mother answered politely. “Yes, Mr. Takahashi, I spoke with Kagome.” Kagome looked at her surprised, she didn’t think he’d call this soon. “She’s thinking about it. Yes, I feel there is something to think about. She’s worried about her future and this wasn’t a consideration until this morning. I told her, yes, but she still has much to think about.” Kagome sighed and sat down as she thought, right now all she wanted to do was cry.

“Right now she’s in shock, my daughter needs time to think, you can speak to her when she has made her decision. If it’s not today, it’s not today.” Mina said as she prepared to stop this youkai from talking to her daughter until she was ready. “No, we won’t be home this afternoon. In fact Kagome and I were on our way out. Until she says otherwise, I want to take her clothes shopping. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to finish getting ready and then we’re headed out. Have a good day Mr. Takahashi. Bye bye.” She hung up and gave Kagome an exasperated and annoyed look. Kagome just nodded as she sighed.

They finished cleaning up and headed out, telling the boys nothing but that they were going out so that no one could find them should the Takahashi’s call again. As they drove off Mina looked at Kagome out the corner of her eye. Kagome’s elbow on her knee and chin in her hand and staring dreamily out her window. As they pulled up to a stoplight there was a bridal shop with a beautiful wedding kimono.

“So...what happens?” Kagome asked softly. “If I say no, what happens to Inuyasha? Do they come after me until I break down?” Mina thought about it. She had learned a long time ago about matchmakers for youkai because she had met one.

“From what I remember, eventually you’ll both meet and without realizing it maybe you’ll agree or maybe you won’t. From what I was told, couples rarely never make it. Even human and youkai, or human and hanyou couples.” Mina responded. “I know it sounds like a negative thing, but it could also be positive.” Kagome nodded in agreement as she sighed heavily. This was a decision she didn’t really want to make at this point in time.

“How long is he giving me until he attempts to contact again?” Kagome asked as she looked at her mother. Mina sighed and shrugged.

“I didn’t expect him to call again this morning. I guess he thought telling you that you were predicted to marry his son would send you into a euphoric yes.” Mina said as Kagome rolled her eyes. “I guess money does that to people, fat heads and all.” Kagome and Mina laughed a little and nodded.

“So, where are we going to shop?” Kagome asked as they continued on their way.

“I figured the mall and maybe a few other stores. If nothing else, get you some normal new clothes.” Mina said as she turned into the mall’s parking lot. “Just a day we could get out and relax a bit together...though I guess today isn’t too relaxing is it?” She smiled with Kagome as she nodded in agreement. They parked and got out and headed inside, window shopping and looking around curiously.