InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mates?! ❯ Twelve - Kikyo ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the Inuyasha characters.
 
Twelve
“Pupped?!” We repeat, shock written all over our faces.
 
“But…but…how?” I ask helplessly.
 
“Well, that involves two people to—“ Miroku begins but gets cut off by a hit to the head from Sango.
 
I'm not ready for kids!
 
And I barely even know my own mate who is the father of these pups…kits…whatever!
 
I know I've said this before but my life seriously sucks.
 
“I'm so sorry Kagome!” Inuyasha whispers desperately.
 
I turn to him and smile softly. “It's not your fault. I mean, I did play a part in the…'child-making' process.” I know that sounds stupid but it's the only thing that popped into my head!
 
“I am going to help look after this kid, no matter what.” Inuyasha says seriously.
 
Without realising what I'm doing, my arms have wrapped around his waist and my head is snuggled against his chest in a hug.
 
He tenses slightly, before relaxing and wrapping his arms around me, resting his head on mine gently. He sniffs the air. “Why are you crying?” He asks quietly.
 
My hand flies to my face to find my cheeks are wet. “I…don't really know. This is all so much to take in, in so little time!” I whisper.
 
“It's okay. We'll get through this.”
 
It's at that moment that we both realise we're being watched and pull away from our embrace, blushing brightly.
 
Shippo jumps onto my shoulder. “So, does this mean I'm gonna have a little brother or sister?”
 
I smile. “Sure does.”
 
************************
The day flies by, none of us mentioning the whole `pupped' thing and, before we know it, night has arrived and we're setting up camp.
 
Everyone nods off quickly and easily, but I find myself unable to sleep.
 
I swiftly scan the camp to make sure everyone's asleep, then stand up and go for a walk.
 
I arrive at a clearing. It's on the edge of a hill, overlooking the village and the moon - well, the little part of the moon that is visible - is shining brightly, along with the stars.
 
I sigh and sit down.
 
“One day.” I whisper to myself.
 
A rustling noise from the bushes startles me and I jump up and face the offending bush, only to see Inuyasha emerge. I take a deep breath and instantly relax.
 
I really like Inuyasha's scent. It's unlike any other scent I have ever smelled before. Forest-like and masculine with an almost wild hint to it.
 
He walks over to me. “What are you doing on your own at this time of night?!” He whispers loudly. So we're going to have the same conversation as last time. “You're carrying a child now, it's not safe!” Okay, maybe not the exact same conversation.
 
“I couldn't sleep. Sorry.” I look down at the ground and scuff the dirt with my foot, as if a child would when they have gotten into trouble.
 
I look back at the night sky. “It's beautiful, isn't it?”
 
“What?”
 
I look at Inuyasha, noticing the starts and the moon reflected in his gorgeous golden eyes, “The night sky.” I whisper.
 
He turns away from me to look at the sky. “Hmm.” He says thoughtfully.
 
I sit down again and pat the ground next to me, motioning for Inuyasha to sit down next to me. Which he does. I shuffle closer to him and lay my head on his shoulder, breathing in his scent.
 
“I never thought that I, of all people, would ever get pupped.” I say gently. I pull my head off of his shoulder and lay back on the grass.
 
Inuyasha looks at me. “Why would you think that? You're beautiful and you have an amazing personality.” He whispers the last part.
 
I smile. “You know what?”
 
“What?”
 
“I'm glad I'm part demon.”
 
“Why?”
 
“I won't get morning sickness.” I say with a grin. Inuyasha replies with a grin of his own.
 
I then remember something. “Who's Kikyo?”
 
The grin instantly disappears from his face and he tenses up. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have asked that question.
 
I don't think that I'm going to get an answer, when Inuyasha begins, “Kikyo was…my first love. But she never accepted me in my hanyou form. She always wanted me to be human.” He sighs. “But then she died.”
 
“I'm sorry.” I say sympathetically. He looks at me and gives me a soft smile.
 
“It's okay. She's alive now.”
 
“Huh? How is that possible?”
 
“None of us really know. She somehow managed to get a piece of another miko's soul and she came back to life.”
 
“Sounds complicated. Is that why, when I mentioned I was part miko, that you said Kikyo's name?”
 
He runs a nervous hand through his hair. “Sure is. But I promised Kikyo I would go to Hell with her. I regret promising that now. I regretted it almost instantly after I said it. It was a spur of the moment thing. I never loved her. I used to think I did. But I don't. Not anymore.” He looks up at the sky. “I think I realised I never loved her when she came back from the dead and her eyes were still the same emotionless eyes I saw when she was alive.”
 
I honestly don't know what to say. He looks at me and smiles. “It's okay. You don't have to say anything.” He says, as if answering my thoughts. I smile and rest my head against his shoulder again and sleep takes over as my eyes close.
 
************************
As my eyes flutter open, harsh sunlight invades and I find myself snuggling closer into whatever I'm lying against as I moan, “Turn off the Sun. It hurts my eyes.”
 
I hear soft laughter and I carefully open my eyes, not looking at the Sun this time, and find that I'm snuggled against Inuyasha's chest. I blush and pull away slightly.
 
“I must have fallen asleep.” I whisper to myself.
 
“Yep. You do know that you talk in your sleep?”
 
I blush even more. “Yeah, my mother used to tell me that.” I say softly. “I didn't say anything embarrassing, did I?”
 
“You were mainly talking about what the child would be like. You were very confused. But you finally came to a decision that it would either be a full demon which is half cat, half dog, or a human, or half human, quarter cat and quarter dog. I have to admit, I was wondering about that as well.”
 
“Did I mention anything else?”
 
“Maybe.”
 
“What? What did I say?”
 
“Well, that's for me to know and for you to find out.” He grins.
 
“You can be very frustrating, you know?” I reply with a pout.
 
“And you can be very cute when you pout.” He sticks his tongue out playfully. I stick my tongue out at him playfully.
 
I realise I'm residing in a tree and jump out of Inuyasha's arms to land on the ground. Inuyasha lands beside me.
 
Shippo wakes up along with the others and jumps onto Inuayasha's shoulder. “Are we going hunting for breakfast?”
 
“I guess we'll have to, seeing as we have nothing to eat.” Inuyasha replies. He turns to the others. “Anyone else want to come?”
 
Miroku offers and Shippo jumps onto his shoulder.
 
They're away to set off, when Inuyasha whispers in my ear, “Are you going to miss my - what was it you said? - Oh yeah, `fine piece of ass' while we're gone?”
 
I turn bright red, Inuyasha grins and the three of them set off hunting for breakfast.
 
No! I must have said that while I was asleep!
 
Damn my sleep-talking!!
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, hope you liked that chapter!
 
I know you're probably fed up of hearing this but Please Review!
 
Thanks to all my reviewers! It really does make me happy when I get reviews.