InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant to Be ❯ Chapter 9

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Mike: Shh! Jinx is sick

Cindy: with what?

Mike: she didn't get to be as annoying today and she is going into withdraw.

Jinx: *glares at mike from bed*

Chapter 9

The tribe traveled along the rough path that leads around the danger that Kagome detected. Inutaisho had sent some scouts to the old path to see if the enemy was still there. They reported back that they were indeed still there waiting for the tribe to pass to attack them. Inutaisho was glad that he had taken Inuyasha advice and taken the tribe down this rough path. It was slow traveling but they made it past the danger. Inuyasha was noticing that his help was needed everywhere. He did not want to leave Kagome alone so he looked for Sango. After a few minutes of looking he located her near the back of the tribe struggling with all of the packhorses to keep up.

He approached Sango and when she saw him she showed some relief in her eyes. She was glad for any help that he could give her with the packhorses. He got off the horse he was riding on and led the horse and Kagome to where Sango was. He turned around and looked at Kagome and simply said "I want you to stay with Sango and help her with the packhorse while I go and help the rest of the tribe up the path." Kagome looked at him with an expressionless face and curled her eyebrow just slightly in an expression of confusion. Inuyasha saw this and then realized what he had done. `Damn I forgot she is not supposed to know our tongue.'

With a look of frustration on his face he turned to Sango and said "Sango, explain to this bitch that she is to stay with you while I go help the rest of the tribe. I keep forgetting she doesn't understand our tongue and communicating with her is a problem" Sango looked at him with curiosity "Are you sure that she can ride? You know this trail is very hard to stay on a horse" He looked at her with frustration before replying "Yes, she can handle a horse just fine" she shook her head in frustration but relayed the message to Kagome who was looking down hiding her eyes behind her hair that shielded her eyes. Kagome responded, "O.K Sango, I will help you" before she took the reins from Inuyasha hand and headed toward Sango. (Jinx: *sneeze* I really am sick though *sniff* Mike: I know you are *winks at Cindy* Jinx: but I really am *cough*)

Inuyasha looked at her with concern `what's wrong with her? She has never acted like this before.' He looked at Sango and then left the two alone to tend to his responsibilities with the rest of the tribe.

Sango looked at Kagome with concern seeing that the girl was not talking, "Kagome? Is everything all right?" Kagome looked up with sadden eyes, tears streaming down her face as she answered her, "Sango, what did I do to make Inuyasha mad at me?" was her simply question. "What do you mean? How do you know he is mad at you?" asked Sango. She took a deep breath and answered, "The look on his face when he spoke to you and the tone of his voice and the glare he gave me just before he left." Sango understood what the problem was and she tried to comfort the girl as best she could while they traveled behind the tribe. "Kagome, don't let what Inuyasha say's or his look hurt you, that is the way he is. Around the tribe he has to act tough but he really is not like that. He is very understanding but never lets anyone see his soft side." Kagome nodded that she understood what she was saying but it didn't make it any easier on her.

`Why am I so hurt by what he called me? Could it be that I'm starting to have feelings for him? But the last couple of days have been some of the best days that I have ever spent. I was actually happy and I was having fun.' She rode quietly for a while then she started looking around for the little kitten that had been traveling with her and Inuyasha. When she didn't see her she stopped her horse and called for her "Kirara!" Sango stopped and turned to face her "Who is Kirara?" Kagome was about to answer her question when the kitten jumped from the trees and landed in Kagome's arms. She smiled and said; "This is Kirara" Sango was beside herself when she saw the kitten and asked to hold her. Kagome looked at the kitten and asked her if she minded if Sango held her. Kirara meowed happily and jumped into Sango's arms and started purring. Sango was so happy just to have a pet again; she missed the ones she had. "Were did you get her?" Kagome shrugged and said "I really don't know when I woke up I found her next to me. Inuyasha said something but I couldn't understand him." She hated lying about her not understanding what they were saying but she had promised Inuyasha that she wouldn't say anything. (Mike: sounds like something you would do. Jinx: what?! Cindy: you know pretend to not know the language. Jinx: Klinght gut! Mike and Cindy: HUH?)

Finally the tribe came to a stop in a nice big clearing. Both girls got off their horses, glad for the opportunity to stretch their legs. Sango instructed Kagome on what they were going to do. "We will make camp here for the night. We need to gather firewood and see if we can find anything to eat." Kagome looked at her strangely, "Doesn't Miroku hunt?" Sango looked away from the young girl. "He hasn't had time to hunt since we started moving. He hasn't come back to camp at all during the night. He has been so busy guarding the tribe with his barriers that he hasn't had any time to sleep. I am starting to get worried that if he doesn't eat or sleep soon he will get sick, and then what will I do?"

Sango collapsed on the ground crying uncontrollably. "Sango, don't worry we will make sure that he gets some good food and that he at least rest o.k." Sango nodded her agreement but then said, "How are we going to do that? We have no food?" Kagome looked at her friend with a big smile on her face. "We are going hunting." Sango looked at her like she was crazy. "I don't know how to hunt do you?" Kagome nodded yes and she pulled out the bow and quivers of arrows and put it on her back. "I have handled a bow since I was a small child. My mother made sure that I knew how to handle one. Are you coming?" Kagome started walking into the forest with Sango closely behind her.

Once in the forest they started looking for signs of animals to catch. Soon they came upon some pheasants, "These will do nicely, what do you think Sango?" the other girl nodded her head in agreement. "How many do you thing we should get?" "Um, judging by their sizes and the guy's appetite I say about four of them." "o.k." Kagome then inched forward just a little to get a better shot of her prey. She removed one arrow and locked it in place, then waited for the perfect shot. She took aim and without a single noise she then released the arrow, the arrow flew without a sound and had caught two birds on one arrow. She quickly took another arrow out and locked in place and shot again. Taking another two birds with the silent arrow and just for good measure she shot another arrow and had two more for a total of six birds.

Sango looked at her in awe. "You are a very good shot," she said as they went around picking up the dead birds. "How come you shot six of them?" she queried, "well I was thinking that maybe we can share with Inuyasha's parents. That way his mother doesn't have to worry about cooking." Sango looked at her with sorrowful eyes, "Kagome, Inuyasha's mother died a long time ago. It's just been him and his dad for as long as I have been here." Kagome grew sadder by the minute. She remembered when she was young and she had asked about her father, how her mother had that hurt look on her face when she finally told her that her father was dead. "I'm sorry Sango I didn't know" "It's o.k. Just don't say anything around Inuyasha or he will blow up in your face. Awe heck what I am saying he doesn't understand you anyway so he won't get mad."

They both started laughing and went to the river to clean the birds. They were careful not go throw the feathers away for they could use them for other thing. Kagome showed Sango how to remove the feathers and how to clean them. "Kagome, were did you learn how to do all this? I have never been taught how to do this." "My mother showed me how to fend for myself out in nature; she said that if anything ever happened to her that I will be able to survive. She also told me that I should only take what I needed and leaves the rest for when we would need more. That the land would provide me with what I needed and in return I was to take care of it" "You mother must be very wise then" Kagome nodded her agreement.

On the way back to camp the girls gathered up some potatoes, roots and other herbs to cook with the birds. Once in camp they placed everything on the fire and started to get ready for the night. Across camp Inuyasha was sitting with his father telling him what happened these last couple of days. At that moment both of them picked up their noses in to the wind and smelled something mouthwatering. Inuyasha eyes widen with understanding and said as he was getting up to leave "Kagome is cooking, this should be good." Inutaisho looked at his son with confusion "You mean to tell me that Kagome can cook?" Inuyasha turned back to face his father and chucked "oh, I must have forgotten to tell you that small piece." He said laughing at his father. "Well she is an excellent cook and she can hunt if need be" "You are joking right? No woman in this tribe hunts." Inuyasha was a bit irritated at his father and flatly said "Well my Kagome can!" was all he said before leaving his fathers side. `His Kagome uh, well he has changed a lot in the last few days, and for the better.' Inutaisho looked on as his son walked away from him wondering if he would share his dinner with his father.

On his way back to camp Inuyasha found Miroku and dragged him away for some much needed rest and food. "Look Miroku even you need some food and besides Kagome's a wonderful cook. She went through all this trouble to catch and cook the meal then the least you could do is eat it!" He said huffing and crossing his arms across his chest. Miroku looked at his brother in confusion, "She can hunt?" "Why is it that everyone keeps asking me that stupid question? Yes, she can hunt, now can we please go I am hungry!" Both men headed towards their camp to where Kagome mouth-watering food awaited. (Mike; we're running out of things to say. Jinx: *sigh* I know)

Kagome turned to Sango and said "Hey Inuyasha and Miroku are coming." "How do you know that?" asked Sango "Well it's kind of hard to explain but trust me they will be here in a few minutes, so help me serve the food." They both got busy and served each of them some food. When they got there all they had to do was sit down and eat. Inuyasha was again in heaven. The food was flavorful and his mouth was watering. Miroku nodded his agreement and then he turned to his brother and asked with a big grin on his face "Would you consider trading her to me?" Inuyasha almost choked on his food, Kagome heard the question he asked and continued to eat but was listening to see what the reply would be to his question. Inuyasha was at the point of breaking, `how could he even ask me a question like that?' he clamed himself down before he answered "No". Miroku was shocked that his brother did not take him up on his offer; he new his brother hated the responsibility of caring for the girl so why wouldn't he sell her. "Why?" "Because she is mine and I'm not selling her ever!" `o.k. I think this girl is starting to grow on him, better not make him mad' "O.K. I just thought I ask" Well don't, she is staying with me." Inuyasha continued to eat his wonderful food.

Kagome having overheard the war of words from the two brother just chuckled to herself pleased to hear that he would not get rid of her, she turned to Sango and asked, "Hey Sango, do you know where Inuyasha's father is? I want to take him some food." Sango nodded her head yes and pointed toward the center of the camp. "You can't miss him; he has the same color hair as Inuyasha but not the ears." Kagome got up and placed a pheasant in a bowl along with some roots and potato and walked towards were Inuyasha father would be.

As she approached she noticed a very tall man with hair like Inuyasha and pointed ears on the side of his head standing off alone looking at the stars. As she was approaching him he turn towards her and greeted her "Good evening Kagome, what brings you here?" she didn't know if Inuyasha had told his father about her so she just pretended not to understand and hand him the bowl of food in her hands. He took the bowl and said thank you, she slightly bowed and started to turn away when he called to her again "Kagome, Inuyasha has told me that you could understand our tongue will you not sit with me and talk for a few minutes." Kagome was relieved to know that Inuyasha trusted his father enough to tell him the truth about her. She said, "Yes" and followed him to a place where he could eat and they could speak without anyone listening to what they were saying.

Inuyasha looked up from his empty bowel and noticed that Kagome was not in the camp any longer. "Hey Sango, where did Kagome go to?" "She went to give your father some food." She replied back to his question. His eyes widen, `she went to give my father some food; oh no, no one has ever done this before and survived. I hope he isn't mad at her for doing it. It's considered disrespectful for her to approach the chief of the tribe before being formally introduced to him. I had hoped to get her into some decent clothes before I presented her to him, damn the things I go through.' He quickly got up and made his way over to where his father had last been seen.

He found them both just sitting on a log talking quietly when Inuyasha quickly approached and kneeled before his father and apologized. "Father I am sorry, I have not explained the traditions of our tribe to her yet, please don't be angry with her." Inutaisho looked at his son with curiosity at trying to smooth things over for the girl's rashness by coming to him with food. "Get up Inuyasha, I am not mad at her, as a matter of fact I was thanking her for such a wonderful meal. Thank you my dear for a wonderful meal. You can come back and see me anytime you want." Kagome said "your welcome" bowed and started walking back to camp. Inuyasha stood there not knowing what to do. Inutaisho seeing his son's expression explained "I am not mad at her; she was merely concerned that I was not getting enough to eat. She made it clear that I needed to eat a good meal and get some rest. She doesn't know I am the chief. You never told her?" Inuyasha lowered his head and flatten his ears on his head and said "No" "Why?" was his father's question. "I guess I forgot to tell her." Was all he could say, "Well no harm done, oh by the way she is an excellent cook, if you ever plan on selling her I want her, name your price." Inuyasha looked at his father very irritated and answered, "I am never going to sell Kagome, not now not ever!" He stalked off after Kagome to make sure she made it back to camp.

Kagome continued to walk through the tribe to get back to camp. She knew which way she had to go and avoided any contact with any member of the tribe. They were giving her such dirty looks because of her clothes and muttering hateful words at her that she lowered her head, hugged her arms around her and continued to walk at a brisk pace back to camp. Suddenly someone blocked her way. She tired to go around her but the woman continued to get in front of her. Kagome slowly looked up to see a girl with long straight raven black hair, and eyes as dark as the night. She was a little bit taller than her but she emitted an evil aura. She didn't know what to do, so she stopped and stared at the girl to see what she wanted.

"What are you doing here? I thought you got killed a couple of days ago" Kagome tried to keep her face expressionless. `How did she know that I was attacked a couple of days ago and almost died.' Kikyou stepped forward and pushed the girl to the ground and towered over her. "Inuyasha is mine and I will not let you take him away from me you bitch!" Kagome didn't know what to do. She could just get up and beat the crap out of this bitch for pushing her on the ground but then again she didn't want to cause any problems for Inuyasha. Plus Inuyasha can choose to be with whom ever he wanted to be with. This bitch could never change that fact.

She didn't have to respond because at the moment Inuyasha had seen what Kikyou was doing and got in between her and Kagome. "Back off Kikyou, I am not going to let you hurt her." "So you prefer to be with this bitch instead of me!!!" she screeched so loud that he had to flatten his ears on his head. "Kikyou, this not the right time or place to discuss this. I will be by later to talk to you o.k." She looked at him in disgust and left. He turned around and offered his hand to Kagome but she refused to accept it and just stood up and started walking back to camp. Inuyasha couldn't believe what was happening now both girls were mad at him and he didn't know what to do about it.

They walked in silence for a few more minutes when they entered their camp again. Kagome went over to Sango and told her what happened and started crying. Inuyasha saw this and he turned to Miroku and asked, "How do I apologize for something that is not my fault?" Miroku looked at him for a few minutes then muttered "You can't, you are always at fault. That is the mind of a woman." `Um maybe he is right, but maybe I can make her feel just a little bit better.' He walked over to one of the packs that held his clothes and started looking for the bundle he had stuffed in there. When he found it he walked over to Sango and said, "Sango there is a hot spring not far from here. Take these clothes and see if you can get Kagome cleaned up." Sango nodded her agreement to this; a bath right now would be great. She took the clothes from him and then turned to the crying girl. "Kagome, why don't you come with me and we will go and take a hot bath together." Kagome said yes to the idea of a hot bath, `it might make me feel a little bit better. Plus I will be out of these torn clothes, the way Miroku has been eyeing me lately I could swear that he could see right through what little clothes I have left. They both got up and went in the direction that Inuyasha had indicated that held the hot spring. (Mike: I still have nothing to say? Jinx: I got something! Cindy: *sigh* what is it? Jinx: CHICKEN WINGS! Mike: and Cindy: *sigh* Jinx: WHAT?!)

The girls reached the hot spring and started to take their clothes off. Then they slowly made their way into the pool of nice warm water. It actually felt good to soak in something this warm. All the tension from the last two days started to leave Kagome. Sango watched as the lines on her friend face disappeared. Kagome turned around and asked "Sango, who is that girl that I told you about. I believe I heard Inuyasha call her Kikyou, I think that was a name I don't really know for sure." "She is Inuyasha, how can I say this, girlfriend, but she doesn't care about him in the least bit. All of us have noticed that every time he even tries to hold her or embrace her she pulls away. We have seen the disgust on her face when he is near her. We have tried to tell him all of this but he won't listen." Kagome just sat there and took it all in. `um, maybe I can change his mind.'

She sensed that Inuyasha was approaching where they were. `Uh, now for a little fun.' "Sango I don't want you to get up, just stay like that under the water." Sango looked at her like she was crazy but stayed put in the water. Inuyasha was just fuming over the incident that happened with Kagome and Kikyou. `What the hell is wrong with Kikyou, is she jealous of Kagome? Well she never wants to be with me anyway. I don't see where this is any of her concern if I want to be with Kagome. It's not like I have asked her to mate with me, I know she would refuse me even if I did. I wonder what Kagome would say if I asked her.' Just then his ears picked up the sound of Kagome's voice, she was singing, he followed the voice to its source and stared. What he saw made his mouth drop wide open. She was there in the hot springs with her back towards him. She had her hair wet and she was sitting on a rock in the middle of the water. You could see all of her curves and her nice thin waist. When she turned you could not see much do to her hair covering her front. But her skin had the look of a pearl soft and smooth.

He was having hard time breathing; what he saw had taken his breath away. `She is so damn beautiful. She is everything that I could ever want in a mate.' He shook his head and turned to walk back the way he came. When Kagome knew that he had left she chuckled to herself and then went into the water to bathe. She and Sango had a great time together. They talked about many things, one question caught Kagome off guard "Your in love with him aren't you?" Kagome must have turned 5 shades of red and answered "yes I am" Sango was ecstatic she new she had read the girl correctly. "I am so happy for you; I think you two make a wonderful couple." "Well we aren't actually going out together, plus he has Kikyou I don't think he wants me." Kagome frowned and started to climb out of the hot spring to get dressed.

"Wait a minute Kagome, let me help you with that dress, there is a trick to getting it on" Sango said with a smile. She walked over to her and started to help her get dressed. The dress was simple enough, it was a light tan in color with fringes hanging on the bottom of the dress, it had slits on either side of it to make it easier to ride a horse or walk, and it had no sleeves. The front was adorned with a half moon with blue and gold beads. The blue and gold beads were the colors that signified that the tribe belonged to either Inutaisho or his son Inuyasha; they were the color of the chief's family. The dress was gathered in the middle by a beautiful leather belt that she twisted twice around her waist before she tied it together with two perfect feathers that hung on the end of the belt. The arms of the dress were made so that the user may remove them during the summer or leave them on for the winter to keep warm. Both sleeves had blue, white and gold beads attached to the fringe. She had never seen this pattern before and she loved it. Her shoes were very comfortable. They were soft and wrapped around her feet with care. The pants were a different story. They weren't really pants per say but leggings. The long cloth wrapped around her legs to form the bottom. She had to tie them with strings on the underside of the dress were there were more string to attach the leggings to. Once done Sango looked at her in aw. Kagome looked absolutely beautiful in that outfit, like she belonged in that dress. Kagome dress matched what Inuyasha wore. His clothing had a little bit more beadwork on it because of his status. But with Kagome wearing this dress it signifies that she is part of the chief's family.

Kagome then took her hair and combed it out; she then split it down the middle to form two ponytails on either side of her head. She combed them out too before braiding them and added some feathers as highlights. By the time she was done she looked more Indian than Sango. Kagome's eyes took on a new look as well, they were still their blue/grey color but there was a tint of gold surrounding her eyes and it brought out her beauty. When they got back to camp both Inuyasha and Miroku just about fell over when they saw Kagome. She did not look like the same person. Inuyasha had to approach her and take in her scent to make sure it was still her. She looked so different. Now he really didn't know what to do, go to Kikyou or stay with Kagome.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mike: people please review!

Jinx: yeah get up off your asses and review damn it!

Mike: way to talk to them!

Jinx: what?!

Mike: nothing *sigh*

Cindy: I've learned to just humor her too.