InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant to Be ❯ Chapter 23

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 23

Inuyasha and Miroku traveled as fast as they could heading south in the direction that Kagome had given him. "Inuyasha are where we going?" asked Miroku "Kagome told me about a place that the tribe can be safe from the invaders, its two days from where we were so we should be getting there pretty soon," came Inuyasha's answer. As Inuyasha travel he thought about Kagome, he missed her already and they have only been gone one day. `Kagome I love you and I will return soon.' `I love you too and I can't wait for your return' answered Kagome in his mind. Inuyasha stopped in his tracks with Miroku on his heels he crashed into his brother falling down on his butt from the impact. `You can still hear my thoughts?' he asked `yes we are connected now and I will always hear you if you call' was her answer. Inuyasha heart skipped a beat, knowing that he could still talk with her even if she wasn't there was a comfort to him. He looked at Miroku and said, "Let's keep going." Miroku eyed him and then nodded that he was ready to go again.

A day and a half after they had left they found the rock that Kagome had described, they approached what looked like a big door and stopped in front of it. Miroku looked on in awe and asked, "How do we get in?" Miroku asked as he stared at the doors in front of them. "Well Kagome told me to say `The protectors of the land have returned' and it should open." The symbol on Inuyasha forehead started to glow and then a light shot out and hit the door, this scared Inuyasha for a minute but he stood still. The door in front of him started to open from his words. Miroku's mouth hung open from the shock of the door opening. Once it opened they both walked through the door and continued down the tunnel. They heard the door close behind them as they traveled.

When they reached the end what greeted them was a spectacular sight. The land was clean and pure. Trees covered the area for as far as the eye could see. There was a river running down the middle of the land and you could see the fish jumping in it as they walked. The animal life here was abundant and could easily support the tribe and more. It was so peaceful here that he felt at ease in the place. `Kagome this place is amazing, the land is beautiful and there is food here to last a life time.' Inuyasha said in awe. `Yes I know I told you that the land would protect the tribe and will provide all the food we need, in return all we have to do is replace what we take from the land' said Kagome. `We will be back soon, we are going to leave now and return' he replied to her `I will be waiting my love be careful on the way back something is not right but I can't see the danger' was her reply. `Yes I promise to be careful and return to you.' Inuyasha broke him mental contact with Kagome and turned to his brother and said, "Well what do you think about this place Miroku, do you think it will do?" Miroku was still in shock as he nodded yes "Well let's get back to the girls." With that Inuyasha turned and walked back the same way they had entered the land.

When they reached the door he repeated the same thing to get the door to open but the doors wouldn't budge. They both looked at each other with shock in their eyes, "What are we going to do now?" asked a scared Miroku, scared that he would be stuck there with him for the rest of their lives. "Hold on a minute let me ask Kagome." Inuyasha turned from his brother and closed his eyes in concentration. Miroku had a shocked look on his face, `ask Kagome, and how can he ask her if she is not even here.' Inuyasha opened his eyes and said, "Kagome says that to leave here all we have to say is `The protectors of the land are leaving' and it should open." The symbols on his head started to glow again and a beam shot to the door and it opened. They quickly got out of there and as the doors closed again. "Ah, Inuyasha what did you mean that you would ask Kagome? She wasn't here to tell you how to get the door open, so what is going on?" Inuyasha sighed and said, "Kagome and I have a mental link now and we can speak to each other even though we are far apart." "Well that would explain the look on your face last night when we stopped. You must have been having a really good conversation with her." As Miroku said this he had a big goofy grin on his face, Inuyasha saw this and started to growl at his brother. Miroku quickly stopped and started running for home as fast as his legs would carry him with Inuyasha hot on his heels.

They had stopped by the river to rest before they continued on home toward where the girls were. They were in a hurry to get back to their mates. As they rested they heard a noise behind them and they both got into an attack position. `Damn I didn't smell or hear anyone come near us who could be out there.' Inuyasha lifted his nose into the air and caught the scent of the invaders approaching them. There were many of them too many to fight and leave. Inuyasha might be able to get away but they would catch Miroku. He had to make sure Miroku was safe it was his job to ensure his safety. "Miroku we are surround by the invaders I want you to jump in the river when the fighting starts and swim out of harms way" Miroku began to protest that he was not about to leave him to fight the invaders all by himself. Inuyasha ensured him that he would follow him into the river once he knew he was safe.

The invaders had made their presence known, they had guns drawn and were pointing them at Inuyasha and Miroku. Miroku raised his staff and a barrier was quickly raised to protect them. The invaders stopped their approached when they reached the barrier. Inuyasha and Miroku started to go to the river when a shot rang out in the clearing it had broken through Miroku's barrier and hit Inuyasha in the leg sending him to the ground in pain. As he fell he pushed Miroku into the river and told him to head back and tell the others what had happened. Miroku was taken away from the area by the rushing currents of the river leaving behind his brother as the invaders surrounded him. As Inuyasha lay on the ground in pain from being shot by the invaders they approached him. They had with them what looked like a medicine woman and she threw something at him that made his senses go wild. He felt darkness start to take over and his last thoughts were `I'm sorry Kagome but I tried.'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kagome and Sango were in the forest collecting herbs for the upcoming trip. She had been happy when Inuyasha had told her that they were on their way back and they would see them soon. She had told Sango that they were on their way back and she was jumping with joy. Kagome had told her friend that she and Inuyasha had a mental link and could talk to each other over the distance. They had gathered all the herbs that they could carry and were heading back to the tepee. When they approached they saw Inuyasha's father sitting there relaxing waiting for his son's to return. Upon approaching Inutaisho Kagome froze, she dropped the basket of herbs she was carrying and brought her hand up to her chest. She let a cry of pain as she fell to the ground and grabbed her leg. Then she heard his final words before the link was broken, `I'm sorry Kagome I tried.' Kagome started to cry she was crying at the lost of her mate. Sango and Inutaisho ran to Kagome and tried to find out what was wrong. Through her cry's she explained that something had happened to Inuyasha and that she had lost her link to him. Inutaisho picked her up and carried her into the tepee and set her down on the blankets he told Sango to watch over Kagome and not let her go anywhere. He then headed toward Sesshomaru to seek his help in finding his son.

Inutaisho entered Sesshomaru tepee and his son rose to his feet as he entered. "Sesshomaru, Inuyasha has been attack we need to see if we can find him." Sesshomaru looked at his father with concern then he nodded his agreement and called for a few of his most trusted men. Together they left and went back to Inutaisho tepee to speak to Kagome and find out in which direction his son's had gone. When he got there he saw Sango trying to stop Kagome from leaving the village to go after Inuyasha, she was still crying and wanted to leave but she would not hurt her friend in order to so. As he approached he called out to her, "Kagome where to you think you are going?" his voice was forceful and stern. She turned towards him and said, "I'm going after Inuyasha I have to find him." Inutaisho glared at her and said, "You will tell me in which direction they went then we will go looking for him. You are to stay here and protect the village while we are gone is that understood?" His voice didn't leave any room for arguing. She told him what he wanted to know and collapsed to her knees crying. Jinx had come along when she heard that something had happened to Inuyasha in hopes of comforting her friend. She rushed over to her along with Sango and brought her back into the tepee. The men turned in the direction that Kagome had indicated and took off trying to find them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Miroku had made it out of the river. He was cold and wet but most of all he was worried about Inuyasha. He knew that the invaders had captured him but he didn't know where they had taken him. He got his baring and then started back to the village where his father was, he needed help and needed it fast. He didn't pay attention to his body as it protested his running through the forest. Miroku had reached the area where he and Inuyasha were at last he looked at the ground and saw where they had dragged his brother away. The tracks lead to the east and he followed them until all of a sudden the tracks stopped and disappeared. He looked confused at first but he circled the area trying to pick up the trail again but failed. He then decided to head back to the village and get help in trying to find him.

Miroku ran into his father and Sesshomaru along with some of his men. `They must have found out what happened from Kagome' he thought. As he approached his father he saw the relief of seeing him. When they approached his father asked "Miroku where is Inuyasha?" "The invader captured him, they used their guns and it hit Inuyasha's leg, he fell and managed to push me into the river. When I came out of the river and went back to were we where they were gone. I found their tracks and followed them heading east but then the tracks disappeared and I couldn't pick it up again, so I decided to go and get help when I ran into you" said Miroku almost in one breath as he tried to explain quickly what had happened. His father had requested that he lead them back to the place where the tracks disappeared to see if they could pick up Inuyasha's scent. He did and when they got there they couldn't even pick up any traces of Inuyasha. "They must a medicine man or woman with them that can disguise their trail and scent like this. I'm afraid that we must go back to the village and get Kagome she is the only one that can track him without a trail or scent." They all agreed and headed back to the village to get Kagome.

Kagome was sitting in the tepee crying she was still unable to connect with him through their link. Sango and Jinx were there with her trying to comfort her but she would not be comforted. She wanted Inuyasha and none of them would let her go to him. She was the only one that could find him and get him back. She had to be strong because it was going to be a fight to get him back. He was being protected by a spell and he was asleep. She knew he was still alive. She would have been able to tell if he had died. Kagome raised her head and looked at Sango and Jinx. "The men are returning and they have Miroku with them" was all she said as she continued to cry.

Sango's heart skipped a beat at the news that Miroku was returning. She rushed outside to see the men returning with Miroku, but no Inuyasha. She jumped for joy as she ran into his arms and kissed him deeply. Inutaisho left Miroku with Sango for the time being and they went inside the tepee to where Kagome was. He sat down beside her and asked, "Kagome, can you tell where they have taken Inuyasha?" Kagome looked up with blood shot eyes from all of her crying and replied, "They have taken him to one of the larger village to the east. There he is being held under a spell to subdue him. He is alive but he cannot move. They have a medicine woman there that has him under control but if he ever wakes up they will not be able to stop what he is going to do. We have to get to him before he does; I sense that he is fighting the spell and will only be a matter of time before he breaks free. Plus they have taken his sword from him without it he will turn full youkai and he will be on a killing spree." Inutaisho looked into Kagome's eyes and he gave her the look of determination that he was going to go and get her mate, his son back from these fool's before more blood is shed.

"We will leave in the morning, everyone should get some sleep. Sango and Jinx both protested that they were going with them to get Inuyasha back, Inutaisho was about to reply when Kagome spoke up, "it would be a good idea to have them come with us, they will be of great help to get him back. They won't slow us down because they can ride on Kirara and she can keep up with the rest of us." He gave in to her request in allowing the females to come with them in the morning. Kagome sat in the tepee in silence everyone was asleep and there were guards outside and around the tepee preventing her from leaving. `I'll be there soon to get you my love, please wait for me.' She could almost hear his voice replying to her request. Soon very soon she would have him back.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Well the end of another chapter hoped you enjoyed. Please REVIEW!!!!