InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ The Meddlesome Matchmaker ( Chapter 57 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


The Meddlesome Matchmaker


Inuyasha breathed deeply of the warm air, enjoying the scent of his wife while simultaneously scanning for any other odors of interest.  It had been nearly two weeks since they made the decision to conceive a child, and not until this morning had he been able to tell with his nose that Kagome was pregnant.  She had discerned that fact long before then with her spiritual senses, so her altered scent came as no surprise to either of them.  He had always liked how she smelled, but the subtle shift in her body’s natural fragrance was very pleasant as well.  

As of now, only he and Kagome knew of the child growing in her womb.  Her scent had not yet changed when they visited Shippou, and they had decided not to tell him.  The kit was fine, by the way; he was studying hard and having plenty of fun with Kiku and her human friends from the village.  Hideyoshi liked him a lot, and the feeling was mutual.  

So Kagome hadn’t said it in as many words, but it was plain to Inuyasha that she wanted to keep her pregnancy a secret for a little while.  That was fine with him.  Some time to clear their heads before coming under everyone’s scrutiny would probably be therapeutic.  He knew they were going to have a tough time explaining themselves to their friends and Kagome’s family; only the two of them could truly understand why they had chosen the path they currently traveled.  He hoped everyone would realize that it had not been an easy decision, and support them.  

As for his partner in procreation, Kagome was doing well.  He didn’t know a whole lot about pregnancy—a shortcoming he intended to remedy at the earliest convenience—but he knew there were ‘symptoms,’ for lack of a better term.  So far, Kagome had shown a slightly increased appetite and complained of occasional queasiness.  She had yet to actually evacuate her stomach, and a short rest always cured her nausea.  If only the whole pregnancy could be this easy.  Somehow, he knew that was a fool’s hope.  

Suddenly, he sensed that Kagome was no longer walking beside him, and spun to see her standing and staring at the ground in concentration.  

“What’s up, Kagome?  You sense jewel shards?” he asked, recognizing her demeanor.  

She nodded, nevertheless furrowing her brow in confusion.  “It feels like a small chunk, actually.  And it’s moving toward us very slowly, like someone walking.”  

Now it was Inuyasha’s turn to be perplexed.  In his experience, bearers of pieces of the Shikon no Tama did not walk toward other pieces.  The more shards a dark-hearted being obtained, the greedier he became for them.  The only explanation Inuyasha could think of was that the youkai with the small chunk hadn’t sensed them yet.  Once it did, it would charge them like all the others did.  Their encounters over the past couple weeks had provided no exceptions.  They had not obtained any more shards of the jewel, but several shard-less youkai had shown up seeking their portion.  Kagome had thus far kept her promise to stay out of harm’s way, and he had dispatched all the weaklings rather easily.  That was another thing he wanted to last for the duration of her pregnancy, and he was more confident that this was a not a fool’s hope.  

So as they continued along the path, Inuyasha kept expecting Kagome to call out a warning a few moments before a hulking youkai burst into view.  His hand twitched, itching to draw Tetsusaiga and give the big bastard a taste of its power.  But the warning never came, and the only being Inuyasha could see was a lone human marching purposefully up the road toward them.  A woman wearing red and white, the traditional colors and robes of her profession.  A miko.  Inuyasha didn’t need Kagome to tell him that this miko was the one carrying the chunk of the jewel.  There was no youkai, but he knew this encounter was still going to get ugly.  

The strange miko continued to advance toward them, her stride confident and her demeanor assured.  She carried the standard armament, a bow in her left hand and an arrow from her quiver already in her right, ready to fire at a moment’s notice.  Though her expression was stern, her face still carried some of the softness of adolescence; she appeared to be even younger than Kagome.  And as she came closer still, Inuyasha saw a stiffness in her movements, a tightness in her jaw suggesting that some of her bravado was false.  This girl was a miko, but she was no expert in her craft.  Still, she was not to be taken lightly.  Inuyasha edged to the side, placing himself more fully between the miko and his wife.  His hand grasped Tetsusaiga’s hilt, not because he intended to use the sword for offensive purposes, but because it could act as a shield if the miko fired an arrow.  

Kagome placed her hand on Inuyasha’s shoulder, assuring him that she would stay behind him, but stepping to the side enough so she could be seen by the approaching miko.  She had a feeling that she would need to speak to the stranger if hostilities were to be avoided.  She grimaced, her thoughts running along the same lines as her husband’s.  Kami, this girl reminds me of the old me!  If she’s as incompetent as I was back then, this should be easy.  The small grin Inuyasha wore told her he was thinking the same thing, and she resisted the urge to elbow him in the side.  The miko stopped perhaps a hundred feet away, narrowing her eyes at them.  

“Surrender your portion of the Shikon no Tama!” she called, her voice firm and authoritative.  

“That’s my line!” Inuyasha yelled back, pulling Tetsusaiga from its sheath and leaning the massive blade over his shoulder.  “Hand over your shards, and you won’t get hurt!”  He smirked when he saw the girl’s eyes widen slightly, but she refused to be intimidated.  Instead of backing down, she lifted her bow and notched an arrow, aiming squarely at Inuyasha’s chest.  The hanyou’s smirk quickly vanished, and he growled lowly, not liking the deadly standoff in which they were now engaged.  Kagome smacked herself on the forehead.  Way to defuse the situation, Inuyasha.  

“I do not wish to harm you, hanyou, but my mission is of the upmost importance,” the miko retorted.  “I must complete the Shikon no Tama so it can be banished from this world.”  

“We want the same thing you do!” Kagome hastily replied before Inuyasha could get a word out.  “We are also trying to complete the jewel so it can be purified.”  

“You lie!  You would use the jewel for a selfish purpose!”  

“No!  I’ve seen what it can do.  The jewel is evil, and almost everyone who touches it is made to suffer.  I am a miko like you, and I—”

“Silence!  I will not stand for such blasphemy!  I have tried to reason with you, but if you will not surrender your shards peacefully, then I will take them by force!”  With that, the miko loosed her arrow.  A metallic clang sounded as Inuyasha blocked the projectile with Tetsusaiga, the blade vibrating with the impact.  It held its shape, but howled mournfully, as if in pain.  A second arrow struck the sword, causing more ringing lamentations.  Inuyasha grimaced; this would be so easy if he was facing an enemy he could kill.  One Kaze no Kizu and the battle would be over.  He could dodge, but he didn’t want to risk exposing Kagome.  He glared out to see the miko reaching for a third arrow, which fortunately she was not given the opportunity to fire.  

The instant the first arrow had impacted the sword, causing a blast of miko energy to erupt around them, Kagome had dashed to the side, attempting to get out of their enemy’s line of sight.  She would have to break her promise in this one instance; this was something she needed to handle, miko to miko.  She would be careful, however.  She watched the girl ready a second arrow, prepared to dodge if she had to, which would be easy at this distance.  But the girl was solely focused on Inuyasha, her inexperience showing in that she locked in on one opponent and failed to keep track of the others.  Kagome bolted forward, closing the short distance between them faster than the girl could ready another arrow.  She tackled her from the side, her weapons clattering uselessly to the ground.  

Inuyasha jogged up to the pair, anger bubbling within him at his wife’s recklessness.  She was straddling the younger miko’s waist, pinning her hands at her sides.  The girl struggled futily for a few moments before stilling, her eyes hardening.  A pink aura appeared around her as she summoned her spiritual powers, and Inuyasha took a cautious step back.  Kagome’s miko energy rose as well in a slightly darker shade of pink, shielding her youkai side from the invader.  The difference in power between the two miko was apparent; Kagome was only using a fraction of the strength Inuyasha knew she possessed.  Abruptly, the girl’s energy subsided, her face turning ashen as she stared up at the hanyou above her.  

“You…you really are a miko.”

Kagome grinned victoriously, but the expression was short lived.  

“Kagome,” Inuyasha growled furiously, “what did you think you were doing rushing into danger like that?”  

“Relax, Inuyasha.  She was a lot more dangerous to you than she was to me.”  

“How?!” Inuyasha snapped, even as his logical mind supplied the answer.  

“Well, she could purify you, for one thing.  How would you have subdued her without hurting her or getting yourself turned human?”  

Inuyasha grumbled under his breath.  “I would’ve figured something out,” he grouched petulantly, his tone conceding defeat though his words did not.  “It was still reckless.”  

“It was not!  I was very careful.  I used to be a human miko, remember?  I know what they’re capable of.”  Kagome sighed, taking in her husband’s disgruntled posture.  “Look, Inuyasha.  Most of the time I’m content to let you take care of things, but there are still times where I’m just better able to handle the situation than you are.  We’re still a team, aren’t we?”  

Now it was Inuyasha’s turn to sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck.  Kagome was right, he knew she was.  But that didn’t mean he had to like it.  At least she knew her place in this ‘team’ of theirs.  

“Yeah, we are,” he granted, grinning mischievously.  “I’m the forward and you’re the goalie.”  

Kagome chuckled at his soccer analogy.  Thank you, Souta, for enriching him so!  But it was a valid comparison; the best way for the team to have success was for the goalie to have to do as little as possible.  She would be happy if she could just stand there watching the action for the next nine months, but she would always be ready to scoop up a loose ball if necessary, carefully of course.  

“Um, excuse me?” the restrained miko spoke up softly, drawing the attention of the two hanyou.  “Am I to understand that you don’t intend to harm me?”  

“We weren’t planning on it,” Inuyasha replied, the hostile edge to his tone suggesting that they could always change their minds.  Kagome rolled her eyes at him, but the frightened miko underneath her didn’t notice.  

“T-then can you let me up, please?”  

“Are you ready to sit and have a civilized discussion with us?” Kagome asked in return, to which the girl nodded vigorously.  After studying her for a moment, Kagome released her and backed away.  The girl picked herself up into a sitting position, crossing her legs and folding her hands in front of her.  It was interesting to Kagome that she did not fold her legs under her and kneel; her visible anxiety had apparently suppressed some of her concern for proper decorum.  Kagome mirrored her posture, knowing Inuyasha would do the same, eventually.  The male hanyou collected the discarded bow and quiver, placing all the arrows inside and dropping them on the ground before sitting in front of them, between the young miko and her weapons.  He glared at the girl, and she shrunk back slightly under the intensity of his stare.  He didn’t want to hurt this girl, but he didn’t appreciate getting shot at either, and he would make damn sure she knew it.  

“Oh, don’t mind him,” Kagome said lightly, empathizing more with the frightened girl than her irritable husband.  “He tries to look scary, but he’s really a big puppy inside.”  

“Keh!” Inuyasha snorted, unintentionally giving credence to his wife’s statement with an involuntary flick of his ears.  

The young miko giggled, and Kagome smiled, glad she had broken the ice.  “Well, I’m Kagome, and that’s Inuyasha.  What’s your name?”  

“N-Natsuki.”  

“Nice to meet you, Natsuki.  I think we got off on the wrong foot,” Kagome joked.  

“I guess so,” Natsuki replied sincerely, lowering her head.  “I apologize for attacking you.  I was trained to distrust anything with youkai blood.  It seems I was too quick to judge.”  

“You can say that again,” Inuyasha mumbled, but Kagome ignored him.  

“That’s understandable,” she said, referring to Natsuki’s training.  “We get that a lot, actually.”  

“I’m not surprised.  It’s difficult for people—myself included—to realize that there are good youkai in this world, when most of them want to kill us and eat us.  But…I still don’t understand.  How can you have miko powers if you’re a hanyou?”  

Sensing this was going to take awhile, Kagome leaned back and propped herself up on one elbow, stretching her legs out in front of her.  They needed to earn this girl’s trust; otherwise they couldn’t expect her to hand over her fragment of the Shikon no Tama.  And beyond that, Kagome liked her, and wanted to answer her questions.  

“I was originally born human.   About a year ago, a strange youkai spell transformed me into a hanyou.  My miko powers stayed with me.”  

“That’s amazing.  I was always told that youki and miko were opposing, incompatible forces.  But to see them existing harmoniously side-by-side within you…”  

“Believe me, I was as surprised as you are at first.  I think I can be a hanyou miko because I never judged anyone for being youkai, and I always accepted people for who they were, regardless of what they were,” Kagome stated, glancing briefly in her husband’s direction.  He smiled, recalling the awe he still felt whenever he thought about how accepting his wife really was.  

Natsuki’s brow lowered in confusion, and she spoke hesitantly, as if unsure whether her next query was wise.  “But you are seeking a way to change back into a human, are you not?”  

Kagome shook her head gently, having anticipated the question.  “No.  I was, but a lot has happened since that day, and I eventually decided to remain a hanyou.”  

“Why?” Natsuki asked, her voice only mildly reproachful.  Mostly, she was simply dumbfounded as to why anyone would make such a choice.  

“Well, for one thing, the man I loved was already a hanyou.”  

“Keh,” Inuyasha grunted, and Kagome was amused at how his cheeks pinked slightly.  He still didn’t like talking about ‘mushy stuff,’ though he had proven capable of speaking from the heart when he needed to.  

“Ohhhhhhh,” Natsuki uttered, “so you two are…”  

“Mated as youkai and married as humans,” Kagome finished for her.  

Really?” the other girl said, shocked at the second part of Kagome’s statement.  “Who performed the wedding ceremony?”

Inuyasha growled at the hint of incredulity in Natsuki’s tone, as though she was mildly appalled at the very notion that a priest willing to perform such a ceremony existed.  Kagome mentally reminded herself to be patient; she couldn’t expect this priestess to lose all of her deeply-rooted prejudice in one afternoon.  

“My grandfather did, but we also know a monk and a miko who would have done it,” Kagome told her firmly.  

“Oh,” Natsuki replied softly, perhaps sensing that she had taken her inquiry too far.  Changing the subject, Kagome returned to their previous topic of conversation.  

“But the biggest reason why I chose to remain a hanyou was because I became comfortable in my body.  I got used to having these superhuman abilities, and everything that came with them.  I couldn’t imagine changing back and being happy as a human.”  

“I see,” Natsuki answered, and Kagome saw some level of comprehension in her eyes.  The reasons were apparently not as bizarre or outlandish as she had originally thought.  

“I guess it would be interesting to be able to move like you do,” she continued, rubbing her sore side.  “You hit hard.”  

“Hehe, sorry.  Can I take a look at that for you?” Kagome offered, but Natsuki shook her off.  

“No, no, it’s just a bruise.  Thank you for going easy on me.”  

“Don’t mention it.”  

“But one other thing is bothering me.  Why did Inuyasha yell at you for being reckless?  You seem to know what you’re doing.”  

“Feh,” the male hanyou interjected.  “Don’t matter it she does.  She needs to be careful because she’s carrying my child.”  

Natsuki gasped, both her hands flying to her lips, and for a moment Inuyasha and Kagome thought they had another episode of prejudice to deal with.  But then her scent shifted into remorse, and they realized something else was troubling her.  

“I’m really sorry,” she confessed.  “I wouldn’t have tried to purify you if I’d known you were pregnant.”  

Kagome smiled genuinely at the girl, glad that concern for the baby’s well-being had caused her reaction.  “That’s alright; you didn’t know.  If I hadn’t been positive that you couldn’t purify me, I wouldn’t have gone near you.”  

“Oh…good,” Natsuki mumbled, her eyes shifting to stare longingly at the cloth-covered surface of Kagome’s still-flat stomach.  Her gaze became unfocused, lost in pleasant hopes and dreams.  Kagome immediately felt sorry for her; the typical miko was inextricably locked into her solitary duties, bound to save life, but not to create it or share her own with a beloved.  Some took to that life far easier than others, and it appeared Natsuki was not one of the lucky enthusiasts.  Kagome cleared her throat, snapping the distracted girl’s mind back to reality.  

“So how long have you been searching for the Shikon no Tama?” Kagome inquired, changing the subject again.  

“Not very long.  A little less than one lunar cycle, I think.”  Pausing, Natsuki glanced between the two hanyou, probably remembering the whole reason for their initial conflict.  Eventually she reached into her robe and withdrew a small cloth purse, which she opened and dumped the contents onto her hand.  A small piece of the Shikon no Tama came to rest in her palm, probably the size of three to five average shards.  

“I suppose you’re going to take this one way or another, right?” Natsuki asked dryly, her tone suggesting she already knew the answer.  

Kagome nodded apologetically.  “I’m afraid we have to.  I’m sorry.”  

“Don’t be.  I feel…comfortable giving it to you.  I believe you really do want to purify the jewel and banish it from this world.  And judging by how easily you beat me, you are clearly much better suited to the job than I am.”  Natsuki chuckled once, the sound hollow and humorless.  “That stupid thing has been nothing but trouble for me, anyway.”  

“What do you mean?” Kagome queried, sensing that the other girl’s antipathy toward the jewel went beyond the mere inconvenience of having to go search for it.  But Natsuki shook her head, brushing off the question, and Kagome decided not to press her.  She settled for taking the new piece of the jewel and fusing it with the portion she and Inuyasha had already collected.  They now possessed a sizeable chunk of the Shikon no Tama, perhaps a third.  

“I guess I’ll go back to my village now,” Natsuki mumbled absently, turning to gaze up at the northern sky.  “If anyone asks, I’ll tell them the Shikon no Tama is in capable hands.”  She smiled, her expression bittersweet, and again Kagome was struck with curiosity.  But she stifled herself once more; if Natsuki didn’t want to talk about it two minutes ago, then she probably wouldn’t want to discuss it now.  

“Can we walk you back to your village?” Kagome proposed, knowing that would give the girl more opportunity to open up.  Also, she would feel better if they didn’t just leave her alone out in the wilderness.  There were a lot of dangers out here for a human all by herself, priestess or no.    

“Are you sure?” Natsuki replied, honesty surprised by the offer.  “It’s probably a few days walk from here.”  

“I bet it would take less than a day if you hitched a ride,” Kagome stated, motioning to her husband.  Inuyasha grimaced, not liking the thought of a nervous girl fidgeting on his back, choking him with a super-tight arm hold, or screaming in his ear.  Beyond that, he didn’t relish the idea of carrying another woman period.  Judging from her expression and the way she eyed him warily, Natsuki was also less than thrilled with the proposal.  The thought of pressing so intimately against any strange man, let alone one who still frightened her a little, was downright appalling.  

Kagome sweatdropped, her shoulders slumping in defeat.  “If you want, I can carry you.”  

Natsuki considered that for a few moments.  Being carried by a fellow woman didn’t seem nearly as reprehensible.  Riding sure as hell beat walking, and she did want to get home.  Eh, she would consider it repayment for the piece of the jewel she gave them.  

“If you’re sure you don’t mind…”  

“Not at all!  But let’s start tomorrow; it’s already getting kind of late.”  

Inuyasha and Natsuki agreed.  It would be dusk in another couple hours, they had no camp, and all three of them were hungry.  Inuyasha went hunting to supplement the vegetables Natsuki produced from her pack.  He and Kagome decided not to introduce her to ninja food; the girl had dealt with enough weirdness for one day.  The evening was quiet, but pleasantly so, right up until Inuyasha went to turn in for the night.  He lifted up the edge of the sleeping bag Kagome was already in, and was about to slip inside when she stopped him with a hand on his chest.  

“Inuyasha,” she whispered, “I think it might be better if, you know, you slept in a tree tonight.”  

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes.  Oh, HELL no!  He was willing to go out of his way to be nice to Natsuki, but he drew the line at getting kicked out of his own bed.  If her delicate sensibilities would be offended by a married couple sleeping in the same roll, then that was too damn bad.  

“Forget it, Kagome,” he told her firmly.  “We ain’t even doing anything.”  

“But—”

“Please,” Natsuki interjected venomously from across the clearing, “don’t let my presence stop you from enjoying your marital privileges.  Go ahead; have intercourse right there.  I really don’t care.”  With that, she shifted her gaze to glare harshly into the fire.  Kagome was surprised by the bitterness in her tone, but the flames reflecting in her eyes crackled with an emotion the hanyou-miko knew very well.  Jealousy.  This time, she was too curious to remain silent.  

“Natsuki, are you…angry with me?”  

The younger miko’s expression softened, darkening with guilt.  She briefly hid her face in the folds of her own sleeping roll before sitting up and addressing them.  

“Not angry, just really frustrated.  Things were so clear this morning, but now…you messed everything up.  Kami, I’m so confused.”  

“Well, tell us about it,” Kagome urged gently.  “Maybe we can help.”  

Natsuki heaved a long-suffering sigh, but after a few moments, began to tell her story.  

“I live in a small and peaceful village.  My best friend growing up was a boy named Akira.  We were so close, and even back then we knew we would one day be married.  Our families had even agreed to it already…”  She trailed off, a fleeting smile gracing her features before the next part of the story soured her expression once more.  “But during my fourteenth summer, it was discovered that I possessed miko powers.  I was immediately sent off to a nearby shrine run by a couple old miko, and indoctrinated into the miko way of life.  All of a sudden, the life I had planned out was ruined.  Our families broke off the engagement, and our parents told us not to see each other anymore.  We still do, whenever I return home, but it is awkward.  I see how frustrated he is, and wonder how long he will wait before he takes another woman as his wife.  

“And then, of course, the old bats at the shrine discovered that I could sense the Shikon no Tama, and sent me out to search for it.  They said it would ‘toughen me up.’  Ha!  I think it’s more likely to get me killed,” she declared, shaking her head in cheerless amusement.  Then she sobered, taking a few moments to gather her thoughts before continuing in a much softer tone.  

“Before today, I knew it was part of my duty to remain single, to never have a husband or bear a child.  And I had almost accepted that, as much as it saddened me.  But now I see you, a miko who is a hanyou, has a husband, carries his child and has therefore obviously been intimate with him, and still possesses spiritual power a hundred times stronger than my own.  And I can’t help but wonder…is everyone wrong?  Could I be with Akira and still be a miko?”  

“Only one way to find out,” Inuyasha muttered, receiving a slap on the arm from his wife for his insensitivity.  He was insensitive, but totally correct.  There really was only one way to know for sure, and if Natsuki—and Akira—chose that route, there was no going back.  But Kagome had her own ideas on the subject, and she felt that she could at least make an educated guess as to how this small aspect of the world really worked.  

“I know the standard view is that a miko must remain physically pure to retain her spiritual power.  That’s why I was so surprised when transforming into a hanyou didn’t cause me to lose mine.  Many would say I was ‘tainted’ by youki, and therefore impure.  So by the time Inuyasha and I were ready to be together, I knew it wouldn’t affect my miko abilities at all.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think it’s physical purity that determines whether a miko can retain her power.  Love is the purest emotion any of us can feel.  I believe that if you truly love Akira, you can be intimate with him and not lose your power.”  

Natsuki made no reaction at first, though she had just been told exactly what she wanted to hear.  Kagome understood her reticence; the unknown was scary.  This morning, she had known her place in the world, and had dared not to hope for something better.  But now said hope was firmly entrenched, and if Natsuki chose to ignore it, then she would live the rest of her life wondering what could have been.  Once she realized that, Kagome knew she would do the right thing.  

“I guess I have no choice,” Natsuki declared.  “What you say sounds too good to be true, but it also makes sense.  Thank you.”  Then she lay back on her sleeping roll, staring pensively up at the stars.  

“Man, that sucks,” Inuyasha whispered so only Kagome could hear him.  She nodded, gazing with fresh sympathy at the girl across the clearing.  She could only hope things would work out for her.  At the very least, she had given Natsuki and Akira a chance to be together.  Still, she didn’t think the former was going to get much sleep tonight, with everything that must be running through her head.  Snuggling into the warm body of her husband behind her, Kagome tried to clear her own mind.  She hoped her concern for the other girl didn’t keep her up all night.  

* * *

The next morning dawned to overcast skies, a heavy layer of fog, and a generally gloomy atmosphere.  Kagome felt reasonably well-rested, having finally nodded off sometime before midnight, after her brain had calmed down a bit.  Inuyasha had only dozed fitfully, not completely trusting their new companion enough to achieve deeper sleep.  It was a habit, he supposed, and he was being especially careful now given Kagome’s ‘condition.’  But his past was filled with such nights, so he was used to them by now.  Natsuki, on the other hand, was a mess.  There were dark circles under her eyes, and it was clear she had been up at least half the night.  She appeared to be in fairly high spirits though, looking forward to returning home to whatever future fate had planned for her.  

They set out after eating, Natsuki riding on Kagome’s back.  The hanyou couldn’t run quite as fast as her husband could while laden with human cargo, but her pace was easily quicker than a human could run, let alone walk.  They saved a lot of time, and the exercise was probably good for her.  Inuyasha insisted on stopping every so often so she could rest and rehydrate, a demand Kagome didn’t mind complying with.  On one of those breaks, Natsuki went to relieve herself and didn’t return, so Kagome went out looking for her.  She found the exhausted young miko sound asleep, slumped against a tree.  Kagome didn’t have the heart to wake her, and Natsuki had already told them how to navigate the rest of the way to her village, so Inuyasha gave Kagome a reprieve and carried the slumbering girl bridal style for awhile.  It was quite comical when she nearly punched him in the face in fright upon waking, at least to Kagome.  After that, the trio decided to simply walk the rest of the way.  

Late in the afternoon, the village finally came into view over a small rise.  Natsuki sighed happily, taking to practically skipping down the road.  

“It’s been awhile since I was last home!” she chirped.  “You know, I don’t think I’m going back to the shrine.  People here can teach me about healing, and I think I know enough about being a miko.”  

Kagome nodded in agreement; Natsuki seemed competent enough as long as she didn’t go out looking for trouble, or carry around a little pink magnet for it.  If a youkai did attack, she would probably be able to handle it.  The village certainly had a better chance if she was around than if she wasn’t.  

“Come on,” Natsuki ordered.  “I’ll get you a hot meal and a room at the inn for the night.”  

“Are you sure?  We have money.”

“You won’t need it.  You’re with me, and that’ll be enough for the innkeeper,” Natsuki declared, almost smirking.  Being the only inhabitant of a village with spiritual power had its perks.  The position came with plenty of responsibility, but also a great deal of respect, as Kaede could tell you.  

Many of the townspeople greeted Natsuki warmly as she entered, glad for the return of their young spiritual leader.  Inuyasha and Kagome received more than a few suspicious looks, but no one questioned their presence.  And as Natsuki predicted, the innkeeper was more than happy to put the two hanyou up for the night; friends of Natsuki were friends of his.  That business concluded, Natsuki left them to go visit her family and, Kagome had no doubt, Akira as well.  Inuyasha leapt up to the roof, ready for a well-deserved nap.  But unfortunately, his wife had other plans.  

* * *

“You know this is spying, Kagome.”  

“Shh!”  

After a short argument over the merits of such activity, Kagome had practically dragged him off the inn’s roof.  They had found Natsuki reuniting with her parents and siblings, and had then followed her as she walked slowly, almost hesitantly, to a quiet part of the village near the outskirts.  One particular hut held her attention, and this same hut bustled with activity.  Now they perched on a rooftop several houses down, watching as Natsuki approached the residence.  Inuyasha shook his head.  Keh, Miroku and Sango are hitched, so she needs another couple to eavesdrop on.  Kagome cared too much about other people’s love lives, but then, he could admit that he was mildly interested as well.  His wife’s compassionate tendencies had apparently rubbed off on him.  

An older woman stepped out of the hut and noticed Natsuki, and she frowned and strode purposefully out to meet her.  The two women stopped and faced each other, Natsuki fidgeting nervously under the stern glare of the other, who was probably Akira’s mother.  

“Um, hello, Yamada-san,” Natsuki said, addressing the older woman by her surname.  “Is Akira here?”  

“He is busy,” the mother snapped.  “He must prepare for his wedding tomorrow.”  

“W-wedding?” Natsuki repeated, her shoulders slumping.  Suddenly, Kagome understood why Akira’s mother was acting so hostile; she didn’t want her son’s old love interest swooping in and screwing up another arranged marriage.  She had probably hoped Natsuki would not return until well after the ceremony was over and done with.  Now, she sought to head off trouble before it began.  Don’t take that crap, Natsuki!  Demand to see him!  

“I see,” the girl said, her tone conceding defeat.  “Please tell him congratulations for me.”  With that, she turned and walked off with as much dignity as she could muster.  The only visible sign of her broken heart was the slight quiver to her lower lip, but Kagome knew she would break down and cry her eyes out once she was alone.  The hanyou-miko had been in similar situations herself, after all.  

“Guess that’s the end of that,” Inuyasha stated matter-of-factly, though Kagome was pleased to note a hint of disappointment in his tone.  

“No, it isn’t,” Kagome declared, pounding her fist into her palm.  “Not by a long shot!”  

Inuyasha rolled his eyes.  Here we go again.

* * *

“Dammit, Kagome.  I’m hungry.”

“Shh!  This is more important than your stomach, Inuyasha.”  

Said hanyou grumbled, but made no further protest.  It was just after dark, and for some reason they were still sitting on the same rooftop a few houses down from the Yamada residence.  Kagome kept her eyes on the structure, hoping to see Akira emerge soon.  Come on, you gotta come out at least once.  There!  Is that him?  Standing in the entrance was a tall, rather handsome young man of about sixteen.  He heaved a heavy sigh, seemingly grateful for a moment away from the bustle inside the hut.  He walked a short distance away, gazing longingly up at the stars; it appeared something else was on his mind as well.  Kagome wasn’t sure this was the man she was looking for, but she couldn’t let him go back inside before finding out.  Quickly and quietly she darted over the intervening rooftops and crouched down on the one directly next to the Yamada’s hut.  

“Akira,” she whispered, the volume of her voice carefully calculated so the young man could hear her, but those inside could not.  Immediately the boy spun, his startled eyes darting to and fro, futily searching for a phantom in the darkness.  

“Wh-who’s there?”

“A friend of Natsuki.”  

“Natsuki?” he repeated, much of his fear vanishing in favor of genuine interest.  

“Yes.  She wants to see you.”  

“Sh-she’s here?”  For a half second, Kagome thought Akira would refuse, but then his eyes hardened in resolve, probably the resolve to ignore what he knew were his parent’s wishes.  

“Where?” he asked, and Kagome nearly smacked herself.  Apparently she hadn’t thought this out thoroughly, but some quick thinking supplied her with what she hoped would be a suitable answer.  

“She said you would know.”  

Akira’s expression was confused for a second before shifting to understanding, and he set off confidently into the night.  Kagome did a little fist pump; half of her brilliant plan had been set in motion.  Now to see to the other half.  Using her nose, she tracked Natsuki to a small forest clearing just inside the tree line.  She was sitting by herself on a fallen log, and though she was not crying now, it was clear that her eyes had shed plenty of tears over the past several hours.  

“Hi, Natsuki,” Kagome greeted, walking up to the girl and sitting beside her.  “I’m sorry about what happened.”  

Natsuki sniffled.  “It’s fine.  I should have expected this.  I’m sure he’ll make a good husband,” she said, choking back a sob.  

“Well that may be, but you know, there’s still a chance for the two of you to be together.”  

“Oh stop, Kagome!  Don’t give me any more false hope.  It’s over.  Finished.”  

“Are you saying that if he wanted to see you right now, you wouldn’t go to him?”  

“Wh-what?” Natsuki stuttered, the import of Kagome’s words sinking in.  “Does he…want to see me?”

Kagome struggled to hide her smirk.  “He’s waiting for you right now.”

“Where?”

“He said you would know.”  

Like Akira before her, Natsuki looked perplexed for a moment before comprehension dawned, and she stood and hurried off into the darkness.  Kagome grinned widely.  I’m a genius!  

“Can we go eat now?” Inuyasha begged, his stomach growling loudly for effect.  

“Not yet, Inuyasha,” she replied cheerily, taking his hand and pulling him in the direction Natsuki had gone.  

* * *

Akira was getting impatient.  The old abandoned hut he and Natsuki had played in as kids, and where they had later met in secret when such encounters were forbidden, loomed behind him, illuminated by the pale moonlight.  Had he misunderstood Natsuki’s message?  But where else would they meet?  Or had she simply decided to not show up?  He was contemplating returning to the village when the rustling of leaves off to the right signaled an arrival.  

There she was, even more beautiful than he remembered.  It had been far too long since they’d seen each other.  He felt a sincere smile tug at his lips, and saw a matching one grace her features.  He gulped, clearing his throat.  Perhaps a meeting with the person he knew better—and desired more—than any other on the night before his wedding was not such a good idea.  He wished he could just bury those thoughts, but the persistent guilt weighing on his heart would not grant him that reprieve.  Nonetheless, it would be good to talk to her again, even if he could never say what he really wanted to.  

“How are you, Natsuki?  What did you want to see me about?”

Natsuki frowned in bewilderment.  “But I thought…” she trailed off, realizing what had happened.  He thinks I called him out and I thought he called me out.  Kagome!  You did this, didn’t you?  Part of her wanted to yell at the hanyou-miko for interfering with her life, but the more influential part was simply grateful for this opportunity.  Still, as she gazed at Akira, her nerves caught up to her, and she bit back what she intended to say in favor of something much more tame.  

“I…I just wanted to congratulate you on your wedding.”  

To her everlasting surprise, Akira chuckled.  “Come now, Natsuki.  How long have we known each other?  You didn’t call me out here just to tell me that.”  

Natsuki smiled sadly; they were so close, yet so far apart.  “No, I suppose not.”

When she said nothing else, Akira sighed deeply.  “She is a good cook, and everyone thinks she will bear fine children, but…”

He let that vague silence hang in the air, his lack of enthusiasm for the arrangement abundantly clear.  Perhaps that was what gave Natsuki the courage to speak the words of her heart.  

“Akira,” she said, stepping up to him and placing her hand against his chest.  “Don’t get married tomorrow.  I…I love you.  Please, share this night with me.  Be my first and only lover.”  

All the air whooshed from the astonished boy’s lungs, and he scarcely remembered to inhale again as his mind processed a most tempting request from the girl of his deepest dreams.  He stumbled back a few steps, shaking his head not in refusal, but in disbelief.  

“Natsuki, how can you ask such a thing of me?” he demanded, the frustrated edge to his voice revealing just how badly he wanted to accept her proposition.  “You are a miko now, and if we were to lie together, you would be unable to perform your duties.  You would let the whole village down.”  

“That may not be the case.”

“What?  But I thought—”

“I know.  It seems that everyone believes the same thing.  But yesterday, I met someone who proves all of them wrong.  If a miko’s strength stems from her physical purity, then I can’t explain her.”  

“Who is this woman?  Can I meet her?”  

“Do you not trust me?” Natsuki replied, more than a little hurt.  

Akira sighed.  “Of course I do, but…this seems too good to be true.”  

Natsuki nodded, gazing off into the forest.  She had said her piece; now it was up to Akira.  He remained silent for a long time, each moment feeling like a small eternity.  It was a huge risk; if Natsuki was wrong, they would probably be disowned by their families and even exiled from the village.  But there was also a good chance things would work out perfectly.  He saw a marriage of love on the horizon, beautiful children, and he and Natsuki growing old together.  And these visions, combined with the irresistible force of his heart’s desire, easily overwhelmed the paltry considerations of logic and anxiety about the possible consequences of their actions.  He could live in the middle of a volcano as long as she was by his side.  

“Even if it is too good to be true,” he said finally, a grin sprouting on his features, “at least I will have no regrets.”  

He moved to her, grasping one of her hands in his and tenderly cupping her cheek with the other.  She gazed up at him, her eyes soft pools of liquid emotion, filled with love and yearning.  

“Natsuki,” he breathed, perhaps seeing her, truly seeing her, for the very first time.  

“Akira…”  

* * *

“Are you almost done meddling yet, Kagome?”

She turned to glare at him.  “I prefer to think of it as matchmaking, Inuyasha.”  

“Call it whatever you want.  It’s still meddling,” he teased.  

“Is that so?  Well they obviously like each other!  I’m just helping them get together.”  

Inuyasha snickered, staring at something over her shoulder.  “Yeah, I guess you could say they like each other.”  

Kagome could not fully stifle her gasp upon turning around, and was very glad she had decided to spy—observe from a fair distance.  Natsuki and Akira were locked in one of the most passionate kisses she had ever seen, appearing ready to collapse onto the forest floor in their mutual fervor at any moment.  Time to go!  Grabbing Inuyasha’s hand, she dragged him off once again, this time back toward the village.  

“Well, I’d say my job here is done,” she declared, quite satisfied with herself.  

“Keh.”  

“You still hungry, Inuyasha?”  

“Yeah, but it can wait,” he growled huskily, wrapping his arms around her torso from behind and nibbling lightly on her neck.  

“Ooooh,” Kagome sighed, squirming a little at his attentions.  She hadn’t felt all that sexy lately with the intermittent nausea, but witnessing that little display and Inuyasha’s skilled mouth were putting her in just the right mood.  

“Come on,” she whispered sultrily, gently pulling free of his hold.  “Let’s go somewhere more private.”  Then she darted into the forest, and this time, Inuyasha was more than happy to follow.  

* * *

They returned to the village the following morning, just in time to catch the tail end of what had probably been a major commotion.  Natsuki was going nose-to-nose with Akira’s mother when they arrived, and quick as a flash she broke away, took up her bow, and fired an arrow straight into the air.  The glowing pink missile shot up like a rocket, officially ending the discussion over whether Natsuki still had her powers.  The gathered crowd went completely silent, and Akira’s mother appeared ready to faint.  The young couple then declared that Akira’s wedding was off, but a new one was to be planned, for they intended to make their relationship official as soon as possible.  Most of the villagers were neutral about the development; as long as they had their miko, they didn’t care whether she remained single or not.  Natsuki’s family was thrilled, of course, and though the rest of Akira’s relatives were happy for him, his mother would take longer to come around.  But she was the lone dissenter, and both young lovers felt truly, truly blessed.  

Kagome and Inuyasha shared a meal with them before departing, promising to visit again in the near future.  Walking down the road again later that day, Kagome still could not wipe the bright smile from her face.  She had made a difference in two lives, brought them together when the world was trying to drive them apart.  It was an incredibly rewarding experience.  But now their short excursion was over, the Shikon no Tama—and her nausea—beckoning.  And so it was with high spirits that she joined her husband on their dual journeys once more.  


Natsuki – “vegetables, greens” and “moon”
Akira – “bright” and “clear”
(both used primarily because I liked them, not for the meaning)

2011 Note – reading this chapter made me remember how much fun I had writing it.  One of my favorite chapters in the whole story.  
Converting /tmp/phpmgVR7m to /dev/stdout