InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror ❯ Prolog ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
My first story posted here. This story is also found on Mediaminer, Fanfiction.net, and Adultfanfiction.net. Still I hope that I am still able to find new readers for this story and get some more imput. Thank you and I hope you enjoy this first instulment.
~ShadowStar666
Disclaimer: I do Not own any rights to Inuyasha or the characters. All rights to him are to his real owner, Rumiko Takahashi. Thank you and please don't sue.
A Prolog

A duet of wails hit the walls of the birthing chamber in the castle Higurashi. Sweat, blood, and tears of both pain and joy, filled the new mother and young midwife. Blood from the birth blanketed the floor much more then what was considered 'normal' with new mothers. The Lady Higurashi had went through complications that had almost took her life with the unexspectancy of twins that had fought for their lives with much gusto. Quick work from the midwife and her asstiants had saved the lady and had her strength up little by little and she was able move without too much pain.
"You, my Lady, have done a fine job. Two beautiful young girls to follow in your footsteps. How lovely to continue the tradition in your family. Beautiful, beautiful girls, my Lady." The eldest midwife wiped the beads of sweat from her ladyship's face. She had a gentle face but for now it was quite pale but her cheeks were rosy from the heat earlier. One of the young helpers had tied back the Lady's black hair but with the strains of collapsing over and over again, the unruly curly hair had tumbled out from its confines and spread itself among the pillows.
"Has my treacherous husband heard of the news yet? Is he still here within the castle or has his guilt forced him to leave before witnessing the two children that share his blood? Fates be with me that my children do not inherit his cowardous and his tongue of lies." Lady Higurashi said with great anger and pain. Long, thin fingers rubbed her face with the hope of stopping the headache that was beginning.
"I am still here my love. I would not abanden you in the mist of our babes births, nor ever." She snorted at this and would not meet the eyes of the man she thought she knew. "How are they? May I see them, Midwife?" The man came fully into the room. He had warm black hair and stood quite tall that made his wife look short, when surely she was a tall woman. He had a strong face and soft brown eyes that had a look of excitement in them.
"Oh my Lord, you have two beautiful daughters to take breath this morn. You must be so pleased. The Lady fought so hard with her own body to make sure they came out just fine, my Lord. Nothing amiss with either of the girls." The midwife spoke with such pride that made the Lord smile. "They are being cleaned first my Lord, so if you wait a moment you can see for yourself." He looked over where the two asstiants were cleaning the babes with warm water and soft towels. After the blood was cleaned they set the two new princesses in their own soft blankets and wrapped them just barley tight enough that the wraps would not come loose.
"My wife," the young Lord began as the woman continued to prepare the babes. "have I yet to be forgiven or a chance to explain what has happened? This is a misunderstanding koshii. Please listen to me." he asked, sounding desperate.
"Misunderstanding? A woman around your neck, wearing the golden chain of my mother herself, given to you with the love I held for you bound in it, is a misunderstanding? Pah, I am no fool husband. I have allowed you to stay in the home of my family 'till our blood has made flesh in this world. Now that they are here, be gone out of my sight." Tears of pain came swift to her eyes as she tried to choke them down with her ending words to whispers.
"May I please, at least hold one of my daughters before my banishment." A nod was his answer for yes. "Midwife, bring me my second born. For I know that she will need more love in this world with how tradition states." The room became very, very uncomfortable in a matter of seconds.
"My Lord and Lady... because of the complications we were not expecting, we were unable to remember to tie the ribbon around the first born child. Please, please forgive the impudence of your three servants." The three bowed their heads in deep regret. The Lady who had shut her eyes slowly opened them and sat up as far as she could with her little strength. Lord Higurashi swallowed but spoke slowly and very carefully before the Lady had her chance.
"Are you sure?" A small sag of the midwife's shoulders and a nod was only given. "Who held the babes first? Can you not tell by where you set them?" he asked gently, not trying to cause the three woman to panic.
"My Lord," the youngest helper spoke up with her head still bowed. "The Lady lay bleeding heavily as surly you witness from the blood that cakes the floor. We needed to act quickly as to not loose her. I was given both the babes to set in the basset together. They are identical to the last freckle on their bodies my Lord, so there is no way to tell them apart. I am truly sorry." Tears began to fall from her face. In normal circumstances, the trio had the death sentences for their failure to mark the heir. But because of life of their Lady was in danger, it could be overlooked depending on what she would set down. The three woman had all rights to be scared. It was their lives on the line.
The Lord thought deeply about the situation and looked to his wife. Her anger seemed to have no limits. Fire burned in her eyes but also compassion for the woman who saved her lives. As if sensing her mother's passion and distress, a blue eyed babe began to cry with a passion of her own, waking her sibling who then began to whimper herself. "Allow me to hold one of my babes maid. It makes no difference in which I hold as long as she is mine." the Lord spoke. The other maid did quick to his command and brought him the nosier babe to him. As soon as she was in her father's arms, her blue eyes looked up at him with be wilderness but her cries broke off abrouptly. "Oh, koshii she holds your eyes..." he whispered. He cradled the babe gently in his arms, rocking her back and forth with the smallest of movements. She had a whips of light black hair covering her head that held small curls. Small hands were hidden from sight for the moment were tucked away under her chin. Tears of joy fell from the young father's face. "So beautiful my little one... so beautiful." He kissed her cheek and the babe unleashed one of her hands to try and grasp him. He let her grip his picky finger that was just almost able to cover all the way around.
"You must be colorblind husband." The Lady's voice interrupted the small bond that had begun to form between father and daughter. "This babe in my arms has the eyes of the dark earth. Your eyes have claimed these children not mine." She held her daughter with some strain but the midwife had placed another pillow behind her and underneath her arms. The new mother held onto the babes left hand as evidence from her own eyes showed tears of happiness of the daughter she now had.
"My Lord and Lady is it possible that your children share one difference in their appearence?" A calmness swept into the chambers as the Lord walked over to his Lady slowly. Husband and wife were side by side one last time to look upon their children. Sure enough, the blue eyed child's eyes clashed with her brown eyed twin. "Tis a shame that they hadn't their eyes wide open for us to notice this big differences in the princess."
"Tis a shame for sure Midwife. What will you do my love? Shall you pick the child that holds your eyes or mine?" he asked quietly.
"How dare you speak of this problem that way. I would not shame either of these children by picking by the color of their eyes. There is but one way I shall decide in this fate for these children, husband. Name that child you hold in your arms, for she is your to take with you on your travels." He took a sharp breath of misbelief. "Listen and listen well all of you. We shall see who raises the stronger child. Which ever girl holds a husband, wealth, her own lands and child will have the rights to claim heir for the land of my family. In right of defense and strength shall also be a weight between the two girls, but know that if one holds the power of the Higurashi's and not the other then she wins without worry. You all hear my words and remember them. As Lady and Miko over these land, I decree this fate upon my children." She laid back as if weakened. "As the child I hold in my arms, I give her the name Kikyo Higurashi." The newly named babe whimpered in hunger and the lady held her to her breast. "I would hurry to find a wet nurse for that blue eyed babe, husband, for this competition has already begun between them. You and she are no longer welcome on these land until the day she believes she's ready to stake claim here." With those last words spoken, Lady Higurashi lay down further into the pillows and let the newborn babe Kikyo suckle.
A dead silence was left in the chamber. The new father didn't know how to respond. His new babes must fight? He did not understand at all as he looked down at his child that now carried a heavey burden. He stood still not moving, until the midwife spoke to the Lord. "Please come, sir. I know of the demon slayers who also birthed a babe but two days ago. They are kind people and will probably wish to travel with you. They should be able to be of great value to you and keep you both safe on your journey."
"Thank you, Midwife. That is very kind of you to share with me. I think that is the best." He turned to the woman he loved with his whole heart but her eyes were closed to him. For two years they had been wed she had always trusted him and loved him and he to her. "Koshii, know that even if you never are able to forgive me or want to understand what happened, know that I will always love you and forgive you too, for your blindness." He turned his back to her to hide the tears that threatened. "Your blue eyed daughter shall bare the name Kagome Higurashi. For both of their fates though, I hope your remember that both are still yours and mine flesh and blood." He paused. "Good bye my love." He left the room with a babe in his arms and tears in his eyes. He had three loves in his life and he had just lost two of them.
"My Kagome, I shall love you with all I can and I hope to show you there is hope in this world." He stood outside of the room for just a moment and whispered to his other child even though she could not hear his words, "My daughter Kikyo, I hope you live well and safe. I hope one day that you two embrace as sisters should in hugs and not in battle." He left the rest of his family behind him and started a journey with his daughter in his arms.