InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mistaken Identity ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer- I don't own Inuyasha & Co.

Chapter 4

Kagome knocked at Sesshomaru's office door. Entering as he bade her to. She nodded at Koga, who was sitting there. "Well, what's her story?", Sesshomaru asked.

"She doesn't want to see her family. She says they argue with her regarding her decision not to seek treatment.", she stated.

Koga spoke up, "Why isn't she getting help?'

Kagome looked at him, "She said her sister died from the same type of cancer, and all the treatment did was make her sick. That her sister spent the last of her life, sick in bed, and she didn't want that. Meara said she wants to live not exist."

Suddenly, she turned to Sesshomaru, tears in her eyes. "Let Meara go. For once give someone want they want. Let her die with dignity." She turned and ran from the room.

Koga looked at Sesshomaru, "Well, you got your answers. Now let her go. Looks to me like you might have to revise your thinking on that one. Seems to me she is strong, to face death alone. Especially, death from cancer, it's an extremely painful way for humans to die."

Sesshomaru raised and eyebrow at Koga. Her reasons for leaving home surprised him. "I wish to speak with her first. I have more questions for her.", he said. He simply didn't understand what she meant by living and not existing.

***********************************

When Meara woke again she was startled at Sesshomaru watching her. She blushed bright red at her state of undress, even though she was covered with a blanket.

He seemed not to notice, but asked, "How did you sleep?"

"Fine, thank you.", she responded.

"I apologize for any injury that the guard caused you. I came to tell you that I will be releasing you as soon as you are able to leave.", he said.

She smiled at him, "Thank you, very much."

"I would ask a question of you, if I may?", he asked. She nodded and he continued, "You told Kagome that you wanted to live and not exist. What do you mean by that?"

She gave him a strange look, then it cleared, as if she realized that he may not understand it. She took a deep breath and said, "Just what I said. I want to go experience things, I want to travel, meet new people. That's living."

"If I choose to exist by taking treatment, I'll spend days in a room with IV's running chemicals into my body that's going to try to kill me, while it supposedly heals me. The drugs may make me so sick that I won't be able to care for myself.", she finished.

"What will you do when you become too ill?", he asked.

"I'll return home and check into a hospice there until it's over.", she smiled at him.

"What's a hospice?", he asked.

"It's a place that people go to die, when there is no hope of recovery.", she responded.

"What of your family?", continuing his line of questioning.

"They'll be able to see me anytime, even stay there. I won't have Daddy try to care for me the way he did Pam. It's hard enough to watch someone you love die, let alone physically care for them, as well. Trust me, I know from experience.", she grimaced a little with memory.

He didn't know how she would feel about this, but he didn't want her to leave just yet. "I have a proposition for you.", he said. She moved to open her mouth. "Hear me out before you refuse.", and at her nod continued, "I wish to learn about the difference between living and existing. I want you to teach me. So, I would take you anywhere you wish to go, and make every effort for you to do all the things you want. If, I can come with you and observe. When, the time comes I will hire people to care for you and bring your family to your side."

She gave him a funny look, but said, "You think you can handle this? Maybe you should visit a hospice and see the end stage of this disease, before you make such an offer."

"This Sesshomaru has seen much ugliness in his lifetime. I can handle this, I promise.", he responded.

"Then you got it. It will be nice to have someone to play with me.", she smiled at him. His heart stopped at her choice of words, but he knew that was not what she meant.

"I have a favor though.", he gave her a look and she grinned, "Can I go get my clothes? I can't keep wearing Kags kimonos or my one and only outfit. Unless, you would have me run around naked?"

He realized she was playing with him. So, he gave her a look, one that made her think he was thinking over her offer of staying naked. He grinned at her, "I'll send someone for them. Somehow, I don't think you naked around a bunch of lust filled demons would be a good idea." She blushed bright red and laughed.

He grew serious again and said, "None of these little characters you portray. I want to see the real Meara, OK?"

She laughed, "You got it. Though, I think I'm going to keep the helpless maiden around for Koga. He seemed to like her, and I think it's funny the way he fell all over me then."

"You are interested in Koga?", he asked.

"Maybe as a friend. He would make me crazy the way he acts like I'm going to break any second. I'm a resilient person, I bounce back. I don't break.", she said.

Silently, he agreed with her. She had a lot of courage, he could see it. "What do you want to do first?", he asked.

"I came to see Japan. I was only here a day when I ended up here. Then, I want to take a hot air balloon ride. I want to see the earth from the air, and not enclosed in a plane.", she answered.

"Give me two weeks to clear my calendar, and then we'll go, as you say, play.", he said. She nodded her head.

He left telling her that he had work to do, and that someone would bring her things to her as soon as they arrived.