InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Futures' Past ❯ Trial by Water ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

My Futures' Past
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters therein. If I did, you can bet it wouldn't be over 500 chapters long with only two interrupted kisses between Inuyasha and Kagome. Inuyasha and company belong to Rumiko Takahashi and VIZ.
 
Chapter 18: Trial by Water
 
The next few days passed quickly for the group. Sango proved to be a competent craft/armor smithe and helped get the weapons back into decent repair. As a means of training, she often sparred with the younger men while the more seasoned warriors looked on. When Miroku had a spare moment from his religious duties, he'd set staff to sword, challenging agility and providing a new technique and style to the basic katana movements. The majority of the monk's time was taken up ministering to the sick and elderly, blessing new unions and young children, renewing sacred seals surrounding storehouses; typical duties of a monk of his status that he often took for granted.
 
Inuyasha divided his time between caring for his new mate and helping the village with major repairs. Though this village was on the outskirts of Sesshomaru's rule and had in residence a protective youkai, it still languished under the Taiyoukai's general neglect of his lands and people. Roofs leaked, fences had rotted away, and there wasn't enough wood by half to get the village through the coming winter.
 
Inuyasha, Miroku and several of the stronger village men hunted in the marshes (though several times a day mysterious “gifts” of meat would appear at the village gate facing towards the marsh. It seemed Oru-Siito was providing was providing all of the firerat in the bargain.) and cleared dead and dying trees for wood.
 
It was the lonely call of night birds that woke the hanyou on their last day in the village. He was surprised to feel…disappointment at thought of leaving. This had become a comfortable place, if not to stay, at least to visit. No one stared for long periods, there were no threats or taunts, and most importantly, no one seemed to care that Inuyasha had taken a human miko as his mate.
 
Kagome wasn't able to do much in the first day and a half and keeping her in bed was next to impossible. Inuyasha relented and allowed his mate to help with chores like ironing and folding laundry or helping in the kitchen. That way she wouldn't feel like she was a burden (which she was constantly complaining about). Eventually, though, her strength returned and she was able to help Miroku tend to the village ills with salves and teas. Ai commented that she enjoyed having another woman in the house to share the chores with and talk to. Inuyasha heard several rumors throughout the village that people were asking if Zen would offer the group a permanent home after their task was complete. He chuckled quietly. It would no doubt be several years before he could even consider leaving the Western stronghold. Longer still, if he actually had to kill the bastard to reclaim his birthright. Convincing a bunch of arrogant full-blooded dogs that he didn't care who ruled the west, so long as it was done fairly and in accordance to the rules set forth by his father, would be the hardest part of the battle.
 
He restless shifting woke the girl under him. Kagome let out a very feminine sounding growl and reached back with one arm to feel for a fuzzy ear. Once she found the desired appendage, she tugged it lightly before scratching its base.
 
“Inuyasha, can't you think more quietly?” she grumbled.
 
The hanyou nipped lightly at her bare shoulder before moving down and repeating the process on her triceps. He was constantly marking her now, a bite on the shoulder, a nip to the earlobe, wherever he could reach bare skin. He claimed it was a means of strengthening the bond between them, but Kagome suspected he enjoyed her reactions when he found a particularly sensitive spot.
 
“It's time to get up anyway, wench.”
 
His whole body sank with the force of her exhale.
 
“Do we really have to go so soon?”
 
“Yeah. If we wait too long to attack, I think Sesshomaru might try and flush us out. I don't want him hurting these humans.”
 
“I didn't think of that,” Kagome replied, twisting so she was now on her back facing the hanyou. “How long until we reach the center of Sesshomaru's lands?”
 
Propping himself up on his forearms, Inuyasha gave a small smile. “Cutting through Oru-Siito's lands will save time. We were close when the wolves attacked. Some time tomorrow afternoon if we don't run into trouble.”
 
“And then we fight?”
 
He nipped her nose before nodding. “Then we fight.”
 
Sitting up so that their lower bodies were basically tangled together, Kagome met Inuyasha's gaze straight on.
 
“Will you kill him?”
 
Not we, no inclusion of herself or the others, Kagome knew here place in this, to block anyone from interfering from the main fight. As his mate, Kagome could provide both strength and support through spiritual means instead of physical ones. She would also be the one in charge of any changes in the battle plans, but she really hoped to leave that to Sango since she had more experience.
 
Inuyasha's ears drooped slightly and he seemed to be distracting himself by toying with the ends of her hair.
 
“I don't want to. I don't want it to come to that. Even after everything he's done, I don't want to kill the bastard. It feels pointless.”
 
“It is pointless. He's holding onto a grudge that's all in his head. But because it is, you may have no choice.”
 
“I'll be ready. I'm just not sure how the other youkai in the castle will react if I kill him. I might have to destroy the whole place. My father's home.”
 
Kagome squeezed his hand. “Then we'll build a new home. We'll figure it out as it comes. You won't be alone in this,” she assured with more confidence than she felt at the moment.
 
A knock at the door signaled that the others were waiting. Both had the feeling this had been the last comfortable rest they would get for some time to come.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“Are the armories fully stocked?”
 
“Yes, my lord!” The toad squawked as he tried to keep up with his master's long strides.
 
“How many have responded to the summons?”
 
“Less than half, my lord, but those who have are amongst the strongest you have remaining in the kingdom.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded trying to block out the smell of sulfur and molten metal. He'd forced human as well as demon metal workers behind his walls to ensure that his army was well stocked. “Their loyalty will be rewarded. And this Sesshomaru will not forget those who have shunned me and their duties to the Inu no Taisho.”
 
The lord looked over his practice field and noticed the flash of black and silver leaning against a weapons rack. Makoto had done and said little since Sesshomaru began his planning. The advisor oversaw the distribution of letters and the comfort of the incoming troops, but little else. In fact, the inu youkai seemed off in his own world.
 
“Makoto.”
 
“Lord Sesshomaru,” he replied with a slight bow.
 
“Overseeing the troop's preparations?”
 
“Somewhat, my lord. I still do not think that this is the wisest of ways to bring together both sons of the Inu No Taisho. You will not even consider talking with the boy -”
 
“There is nothing to talk about!” Sesshomaru interrupted. “The sword should have been mine, the castle mine, and the death of my father, mine. That half-breed has taken all of that from me! He has made a mockery of the inu youkai line.”
 
“Forgive me, Lord Sesshomaru, but the castle is, in fact, yours. And the boy is hardly to blame for the death of your father. I believe the humans can claim that victory. It seems rather well thought out on your father's part that two sons would require two swords.”
 
“Are you mocking me? Perhaps you would like to serve as a moving target for the warriors, Makoto. This Sesshomaru does not hold you in the same regard as my father did.”
 
Amber met amber in a contest of wills. One set still held the sparkle of challenge, while the other was cold and emotionless. Shut off. No warrior could expect to succeed without tapping into his emotions and Sesshomaru had his firmly locked away. Makoto had not been idle, far from it. He had sent off a number of letters with the seal of the departed Dog General, letters more fully explaining the situation at hand. He hoped that was the reason for the poor turnout of support, but one could never be sure when it came to bloodlines. Dog demons were a notoriously loyal breed but where that loyalty lie should never be left to interpretation. At least there was less of a chance of an all out rebellion if Inuyasha succeeded in unseating his elder brother as lord of the west.
 
“That is obvious, my lord. However, seeing as you've removed a number of your staff from your service in the past few days, you are short of assistance.”
 
The elder dog demon frowned. Sesshomaru had been far beyond unstable as of late. He'd sent of number of long time servants to the dungeons, or worse, to the practice fields to be targets. Makoto had been able to save some of the older demons, but there were still a number of old friends lost in the past few days.
 
“Or are you confident enough in yourself that you no longer require others to run the day to day operations of your estate?”
 
Green light flared from the tips of Sesshomaru's fingers. When the energy whip fully materialized, he allowed it to coil between them, twitching his wrist occasionally. A stray arrow flew in their direction and without batting an eye Sesshomaru caught it with the whip, turning the wood to ash.
 
Makoto didn't flinch.
 
“Do as you will, but I expect you not to neglect your post. I also expect you to be available to take dictation of a letter to those who seemed to have found it in their best interest to defy this Sesshomaru.”
 
“Do you wish to meet your brother's pack outside the perimeter of the wall?”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “No. My original plan still stands. If he has the strength to make it through the first two trials, if he as the intelligence to breach the wall, then he will be worthy of death by this Sesshomaru's hands. To kill him before that would be like a flicking off a flea.”
 
The advisor nodded his assent, wincing slightly at the mention of flicking off fleas. One of the old Dog General's most loyal vassals was a tiny flea demon named Myoga. Upon the death of the elder, no one had seen him since.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“Are you certain we shouldn't have taken the weaver up on her most generous offer, Inuyasha?” Miroku asked as they trekked along a long overgrown trail.
 
Before the hanyou could even think of a response, the sound of flesh hitting flesh echoed through the cold air.
 
“Hentai! The only reason that you are even considering her offer is because she was naked when she made it!” Sango huffed. “And she was naked because she was wearing the robe you currently have on.”
 
“It is a fine garment, isn't it?”
 
The monk fingered the finely woven material. He'd been surprised to find that the skin was not used in the making of the garments, only the fur, spun and woven on looms created by Oru-Sitto's spider minions. She'd included several travel bags made of the skins, which would hold an almost infinite weight without breaking and seemed to mysteriously keep accepting whatever was placed in them. There was one for each of them.
 
Sango had gained a short kimono of moth demon silk, dyed a fiery pink to match her armor. The shirt, or rather the robe, only went to her knees, its sleeves narrowed so as not to hinder her movements with Hiraikotsu. Hers was not the only outfit modified to meet the personality of the one wearing it. Kagome's firerat furs were far from ordinary. Loose hakama, bound at the ankles and in the same shade of red that Inuyasha wore, were topped with a red worm silk kimono. It was the haori that covered the outfit that was the true work of art. It was a creamy off white and was designed not to be tucked in. Instead the garment went to just below her knees with slits on either side to allow her freedom of movement. A rich red obi held the garment closed, but wrapped around to tie in the front for ease of removal. Snug sleeves would not hamper the firing of her arrows.
 
But that was not the only thing that Oru-Siito had done with the garment. It was the only one of the three that was decorated. Crimson branches and vines snaked up from the bottom of the haori, creating elaborate patterns against the soft background. The young miko had braided and bound her hair at the nape of her neck with a strip of leather and Miroku had to admit, she looked very intimidating walking next to the proud hanyou.
 
“Monk, we don't need to take anyone else with us. This is my fight. I shouldn't even have you four with me,” Inuyasha said once he was certain the monk's head had stopped spinning from the blow.
 
It was Sango who spoke next. “Inuyasha, your brother has an entire army at his disposal. If you had gone to fight him alone, do you think he would have hesitated to send that army after you so you would be tired and weakened by the time he got to you? We followed you this far, we will see this through.”
 
The relationship between slayer and hanyou was strained but civil. Sango appeared to be determined to make up for her words and actions but not ready to directly apologize. Inuyasha knew what she was doing and appreciated it. After all, he never said he was wrong or sorry unless it was forcibly dragged out of him.
 
“Sango is right, Inuyasha,” Kagome replied. “Sesshomaru is forcing those who are under his rule to support him, I'm sure of it. Why would anyone want to fight for a leader who leaves them to fend for themselves? We are with you by choice.”
 
Though he didn't show it on the outside, inside Inuyasha smiled. He took the miko's arm and pointed to the steep drop ahead of them.
 
“Once we reach the bottom we`ll meet the mists. Go to the edge and have a look.”
 
Kagome hurried to look, Kirara close at here heels. Looking out she could see swirling mists in whites and grays, all rising up into the air. At the summit of the mists, she could just make out a flag fluttering in the breeze. She felt more than heard Inuyasha coming up behind her.
 
“Are you ready?” he asked, his breath warm on her neck.
 
“I think so. I've practiced and it's really all up to my powers, isn't it?”
 
His arms wrapped around her. “For the most part. But the mist is its own master. It has powers far beyond just devouring a man. I have no fucking clue what we'll see when we get down there. The mists can get into the mind as easily as the body.”
 
“Can't I just shoot at it from a distance?”
 
“I don't know. We can try it, but I'd rather be ready for anything. I don't know how far it can reach and with Sesshomaru not being able to control it, it's probably fed as much as it wanted.”
 
“Well,” Sango said coming even with them. “It's now or never right? Let's go and get your sword back.”
 
The path down the hillside was surprisingly well tended compared to the one through the woods and Kagome only needed Inuyasha's support a few times to avoid landing flat on her face. The air was cooler now, almost musty smelling, and she could see ghost-like shapes forming in the mists. They writhed together like bodies in pain, but then disappeared if she stared too hard. Whispers came to her ears and suddenly she stopped, staring wide-eyed into the shadows.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha asked, his ears pricking.
 
“Inuyasha…I can hear them. Mama and Gramps. They're inside that mist somewhere.” She turned bright eyes to him. “Maybe there's a way home in there!”
 
“Kagome! Don't! Stop!”
 
Before the hanyou could snag her, the miko disappeared into the vapors.
 
“KAGOME!!!”
 
“Inuyasha, do you think she'll remember what she's supposed to do?” Miroku asked, taking out a handful of sacred sutras. When Inuyasha turned to him, the monk could see he was struggling with his demon side.
 
“The wench is strong, but I fucking don't know what the hell she's seeing. If it makes her forget…”
 
Sango laid a hand on Inuyasha's shoulder. The first time she ever touched him willingly.
 
“She has you. That will hold her here. I know it.”
 
Kagome pushed her way through the water vapor, feeling it soak her face and hair in the process. She heard them, she was certain of it.
 
Kagome? Honey, where are you? Mommy's been looking everywhere for you.
 
No respect for the shrine, I tell you. Girl, I've told you not to play in the well house and look what it's gotten you.
 
Kagome, I still can't find Buyo. You promised to help me, sis.
 
There! She could see them gathered just inside the well house. Mama and Souta both held electric lanterns and Gramps was standing by the lip of the well, clenching a handful of his useless sutras.
 
Such a waste. I've told you children a hundred times to respect the past and the history of this place. Well, you've learned now haven't you?
 
Oh, baby. I shouldn't have sent you out to look for the cat. But I couldn't lose your little brother. Maybe it's better this way.
 
Kagome shook her head in confusion. Better this way? What was better this way? She crept closer and they became more solid, she could even feel the sunlight on her back and the cool draft from the well house.
 
“Mama? Gramps? I'm right here. Souta, that stupid cat jumped out and scared me. I can't get home.”
 
Maybe we should leave you here to teach you a lesson in manners, girl.
 
“But Gramps, what about Buyo? She was supposed to find him for me.
 
“Leave me? Leave me where? Gramps, I'm not there! I'm in the past. I have - I have a husband. Sort of. I want to see you. To tell you I'm alright! NO! Where are you going?”
 
Kagome watched as her family brushed past her as though she wasn't there. She even caught the faintest hint of rose from her mother's perfume. But they didn't even look at her. She reached out to grab her grandfather's sleeve, but it just drifted through her fingers. She was alone at the sliding door. Curious, she walked forward, not really paying attention to the fact that the room was much more illuminated than before. She could see her footprints in the dust. See the places where her grandfather was doing his repairs on the well cover, even her fingerprints on the wooden lip.
 
It felt like there was a weight in her stomach, but she still approached the old well. She had to know what they were doing. Why they were talking about her learning a lesson. Did Gramps know the well was a gateway to another world? She didn't remember that in any of the tales he told to her.
 
The lead in her stomach feeling increased as she got closer, but she wasn't going to chicken out now. Not after everything she'd seen and done hear. Inuyasha didn't want her to be a coward.
 
Kagome took a deep breath and looked over the edge. Her head spun and everything she'd eaten came up in a violent rush. Dropping to her knees, she emptied her stomach. It couldn't be real. It wasn't real. There, at the bottom of the well, was Kagome. She was dressed in her school uniform, the flashlight she'd brought to look for the cat lying beside her. But she was dead. Her neck was at a strange angle and there was a trail of blood from her nostril down her cheek and into her hair. Her one knee was bent the wrong way and she was lying on her right arm.
 
“I'm not dead,” she whispered. “I can't be dead. They wouldn't just leave me there.”
 
Struggling to look over her shoulder, Kagome could see the houselights were on and her family in the living room. It looked like they were getting ready to watch a movie. The movie she was supposed to have watched on her fifteenth birthday. But that was months ago. Didn't they care that she was laying there? Didn't they hear her calling out to them?
 
The cold, wet mist began to seep through the protective firerat. It caressed her face, drifted through her open mouth and into her ears. Yes, she could just lie here for a little while. If she really was dead, then what did it matter? Everything was just some sort of strange dream. She could even jump into the well. Place herself in the same position as the girl she was looking at. Yes. That would be good. That way, when her family came out to get her, she'd be there.
 
Rising on shaking limbs, Kagome gripped the side of the well. Just as she was about to heave herself over, she heard something in the distance.
 
“KAGOME!! DAMN IT WENCH! WHERE ARE YOU?”
 
She knew that voice. She should go to it. Something tightened around her chest. No. She should stay here with her family. Isn't that what she wanted? To go home. Wasn't that the whole point?
 
More voices came to her, all of them calling her name. It was giving her a headache. She reached up to rub the base of her neck and felt something weird. A raised scar, almost circular. It filled her with warmth when she touched it. Inuyasha.
 
Shaking her head to clear it, Kagome realized that the mist had formed some sort of vines and was wrapping itself around her chest. The mists. Sesshomaru's castle. Inuyasha's sword. That was why she was here.
 
“No. I belong here. With Inuyasha.”
 
Drawing an arrow from her quiver, Kagome nocked it and concentrated until it was shimmering with blue light. Closing her eyes, she let the arrow fly, directly into the well in her vision. She could have sworn she heard high pitched screaming and then the mist was gone. She was sitting on the ground in the bright afternoon sunlight.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha scooped the girl into his arms and nuzzled her temple. “Kami, I thought I lost you there. What the hell made you run into the mists like that?”
 
Exhausted, Kagome buried her face into the hanyou's hair and inhaled the clean scent.
 
“I though I heard my family. I saw them, Inuyasha. And the shrine. It was so real that I could even smell them. They were looking at something in the bottom of the well. I couldn't get their attention, so when they left, I looked. It was me. I was at the bottom of the well and I was dead. Broken. And they didn't care.”
 
Shifting his eyes briefly to the monk and slayer, Inuyasha ran a hand up and down Kagome's back to soothe her.
“It's okay. Your family wouldn't leave you if you were there. Not from what you've told me about them. And you're not dead. You're here with me. Where you're supposed to be. But damn it, wench, I don't want you running off like that again.”
 
She gave a small chuckle. “No, I remembered you. That I belonged with you.”
 
Sango's voice cut through to the couple. “I hate to break this up, but we have another problem. There are no trees for us to use to get passed the living water. Actually, there's not much of anything.”
 
Glancing around, Inuyasha saw the slayer was right. There was nothing. No grass, no shrubs, no tress. Nothing. The mists had devoured everything in its path. There was nothing for the monk to bless so they could make a bridge across the second obstacle.