InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Oh My Gods! ❯ Kagome's Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Oh My Gods! 2

Finally, after fifteen minutes, the Inuyasha and Kagome at last exited the forest and arrived in the city. The silver-haired hanyou glanced in wonder at all the tall buildings constructed with unfamiliar material along with the modern technology mortals took pride in. What the hell were those metal boxes racing through the busy streets?!

They smelled horrible!

These things were very strange to him... In the immortal realm, where he came from, everything was mostly modern except for knowledge and wisdom.

But here...everything was different.

Mortals dressed different, they lived different, they ate different–when had they all evolved? These mortals didn't try to preserve their origins like the immortals. No, they wanted to make life easier for themselves by inventing new gadgets and lifestyles, constantly updating their technological discoveries.

What else did they invent?

Keh, I wouldn't be surprised if they invent a new kind of dimension where peasants can become lords by eating a golden carrot... Inuyasha smirked at his thought.

It would actually be pretty nice, except for the fact that everyone would be rich and powerful, and then competition for rank would cease to exist. People in the immortal realm thrived for challenge–his life was based on achieving a higher rank and therefore a higher level in strength.

Kagome glanced at the hanyou god out of the corners of her eyes and smiled. "Are you feeling a bit overwhelmed?" They had stopped for a moment since he wanted to stare at everything for the first time.

His golden amber eyes held the wonder of a child, and the miko couldn't help but giggle at him, finally forgetting their earlier argument. Inuyasha was the most annoying, hot-headed, insensitive jerk in the...immortal and mortal realms, but then again, he really was a very cute...puppy.

If I tell him that he'll bite my head off... Hmm...she should say it, anyway. Nah.

Inuyasha scowled at her question and said nothing, though he was apparently waiting for her to start pedaling again by the way he stared at her unblinkingly. Kagome sighed in dismay and complied, knowing full well that if he wanted to, the hanyou could run beside her, but he chose to stay back.

She hoped nothing she had shouted earlier hurt his feelings... It hadn't been her intention to, she swore!

It was just that...her situation was unbelievable!

She be lying if she said she hadn't already planned her whole life. Heck, she just went over her plans for the future a few hours ago! It wasn't set in stone, but that didn't mean she wanted her 'life schedule' to change!

How in the world was she supposed to marry Inuyasha when she was only seventeen?!

Until she heard it from her mother's mouth, Kagome wasn't about to believe she was truly engaged. And it was highly unlikely that her mother would arrange a marriage for her seventeen-year old daughter, who was still in high school and still needed to maintain her scholarship.

Besides, her mother wasn't the type to disregard her children's feelings on any matter at all–she understood Kagome perfectly! She supported her plans for the future, helped her be accepted into a prestigious school such as Imei Academy, and she overall knew that her daughter wouldn't accept change so easily!

Her mother wouldn't do this to her!

Yet...Inuyasha didn't strike Kagome as the type of person to lie often...he just... It barely fit his character. If he was angry, he readily expressed it. If he was tired, she'd be able to tell. If he was hurt, his eyes would reveal it all. All in all, he was very honest instead of clever and cunning.

That was a good trait despite his arrogance, right? Kagome's ideal guy had to be honest with her in everything–she didn't want to live oblivious to a nest of lies. So...she was almost certain the hanyou god would never think of cheating on her. They would have a perfect relationship...

No.

Kagome wished to marry out of love, not because Inuyasha's mother's journal said so.

But she couldn't blame the hanyou. If he was telling the truth, he was merely carrying out his mother's wishes. And he must love his mother very much since he exclaimed that by marrying her, he was giving his entire life to her. Not all children considered such a commitment, and it truly touched her heart.

Hmm, another point was in Inuyasha's favor...also add the fact that he was handsome...his sparkly golden wings...

Err...Kagome had to stop finding reasons why she should marry Inuyasha...

"Um...how do you like it here so far? Have you ever been to the mortal realm?" The miko asked in an effort to suppress the blush blooming in her cheeks. The uncomfortable silence surrounding them was allowing her mind to run rampant...not good.

Beautiful eyes...looks good in black...fluffy wings...silky hair...could be a model... Bad thoughts, bad thoughts!

Kagome refrained from turning her head to glance at the hanyou's expression–well, she would crash into a building, anyway–yet she heard him loud and clear. Finally, he was talking to her! "It's...strange here. I've been to the mortal realm when I was a child, but I don't remember much."

True, he visited the mortal realm before when his mother had been alive, though many years had passed since then. Besides, all he truly remembered was playing with someone, a girl around his age, in a yard that was in front of a tree...while his mother and another woman watched, smiling fondly.

Inuyasha couldn't recall anything else.

Kagome nodded. "Well, you'll get used to this life. Living here isn't hard!"

"That's what you say now..."

The raven-haired teen laughed, her former dark aura softening to welcome others since she felt oddly...content, for some reason. She didn't know why, but being around a vivacious hanyou god like Inuyasha wasn't as strange as people would imagine.

He was just like any normal teenage guy; then again, he hadn't revealed his age, but Kagome figured he was a teenager regarding his earlier words of being as young as her. Either way, he was curious like anyone else, his only unique features were his dog ears–though, she only wanted to touch them–and he basically blended in with the crowd of mortal humans and...demons.

Aren't all demons immortal? Kagome guessed what defined an immortal was a creature or being unable to perish from fatal wounds and/or old age. I can't tell the difference between a mortal and an immortal. What if other immortals are currently living among mortals?

It was a surprising thought...no one would ever be aware of it, however.

After a few moments of peaceful silence, Inuyasha decided to run along side of her instead of behind of her. It was enough to make the teen sigh in relief–now she knew he wasn't angry at her. Why would she care? Well, it ate away at Kagome's heart to have someone angry with her...

It wasn't Kagome's fault her moods changed courses like the wind...

"What's it like in the immortal realm?" She asked, genuinely curious. Was life really so different than it was here? Inuyasha seemed to be in awe of his new environment–the discrepancies between both realms were conspicuous.

The hanyou peered at her before facing ahead again, pondering his next words. There were millions and millions of differences between the immortal and mortal realm–the list could go on forever. He soon smirked, proud of his origins, and replied, "Immortals live in the immortal realm."

"I knew that, of course..." Kagome cast him a blank stare. "Come on, I want to know!"

"Keh! I'll talk when I want to."

"Dog boy..."

"...Do you really want to know?"

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't."

"Fine," Inuyasha complied, rolling his eyes. "The immortal realm...is like going back in time. All this modern stuff here is scarce over there. I don't think anyone lives in poverty, though, since we have our own unique abilities and live life simply. Hmph, and like hell the air is polluted by those damn four-legged demons..."

"Cars, you mean?" Kagome suggested as Inuyasha pointed to the metal box he referred to, a polished cobalt Honda civic that whizzed by them. He mulled over the word 'car' in his mind before shrugging.

"Yeah, whatever. The air over there is fresh and the landscapes are all natural. The most common things immortals and mortals share are ambition and superiority. Kings and queens reign–I'm a prince, so duh–but only a select few are driven by greed enough to start wars. The rest of us just train and fight to gain ranking."

Inuyasha noticed Kagome's confusion and figured he had to explain. "Every immortal is handed a necklace at birth that he or she has to complete in order to be considered powerful and superior. The necklace begins as a ring of beads, yet gains teeth automatically with every level or rank of strength achieved. A complete necklace has ten teeth. So far, mine has eight."

Kagome nodded in understanding, turning briefly to glance at the purple beaded necklace wrapped around his neck, partially covered by his framing silver locks. She didn't have time to count the white bead teeth on it, but there had to have been eight if the pattern was correct. At first, the miko had thought the necklace was composed of ordinary prayer beads, but now she knew otherwise.

That's really cool... She smiled. But living life fighting to gain rank is tough. Then again, mortals fought very differently for power–by using money and cunning.

"Here, money is power and it's not only men who have it. Politicians, businessmen, heck even celebrities! Doesn't matter if you have an education or not, if you have a lot of money, people would respect you...and you're not understanding a word I'm saying..."

The blank look on Inuyasha's face told it all. "Nope. Who are pollycians and busynessmen? And what the heck is a celerbity?!"

Kagome stifled a giggle at his confusion, since his headed was cocked like an innocent, baffled puppy while his golden eyes brightened in question. One of his dog ears also twitched in anticipation of new information–he was definitely an eager dog...

He was adorable someti–wait, why did she think he was adorable, twice already?!

It was his entire fault for being a dog demon!

"I'll tell you some other time because we're here."

Inuyasha furrowed his eyebrows at their destination; he could only see numerous granite stone steps leading to god knew where. Hold on, if he was a god, then wasn't he supposed to know where it led to?

Well, he wasn't that type of god...

Why the hell would anyone live up this infinite amount up steps? "Keh, your stupid pink bikey thingy slowed us down! We could've been here faster than you can say your name!"

The miko grinned and said, "Kagome!"

"Huh?" Was this wench crazy? Now he was stuck with her, probably for life–and he was immortal. What was his mother drinking when she wrote his arranged marriage in her journal?!

"Wow, we arrived already? Amazing! Let's go up the stairs!" Kagome chuckled at Inuyasha's lost expression before shaking her head and waving him off.

She tried to heave her bike up the long flight of stone stairs awaiting them step by step...even though it would take a few years. Leaving her bike out here in the street, however, wasn't an option; some strange fiends might long for a pink bike...

Inuyasha watched as Kagome struggled to carry the bike up the steps one by one, completely entertained by her lack of strength. He rolled his eyes and grabbed the pink contraption from her before sprinting up the steps, leaving the raven-haired teen behind on purpose. He heard her shouting at him, but it was her fault for not hurrying up.

Hey, the pink thing didn't burn his hands after all!

But it still haunted him...

And so did that large tree once he reached the top...

-XxX-

Grr...Inuyasha was a complete jerk! An idiotic, merciless jerk! Forget that he was gorgeous, forget his beautiful eyes and his sparkly wings–he was a jerk!

He could have at least warned her, 'I'll carry the bike for you'! It wasn't imperative that he take the bike and run–she nearly suffered a heart attack and fell off the steps!

Argh! When she ascended the steps, she was going to–

Um...why was he just standing there in front of the Goshinboku?

"Inuyasha...is something wrong?"

The way he was staring at it blankly unnerved her, and she wondered why he would be surprised to see the tree. It was as though he recognized the large tree from within the depths of his memory... No, the idea was impossible because there was no way had ever visited the God Tree.

Right?

Inuyasha tore his eyes away from the thick, tall tree and kehed, crossing his arms once the recognition spell wore off. The sight of the tree triggered something deep within his mind, but right now he couldn't pin point it. It was there, and he knew he'd seen that tree before...

Yet, where was that damn memory?!

He shook his head and turned to face her. "Nothing's wrong, wench. Let's go talk to your mother and see if she can enlighten us about this whole...crap thing."

Kagome's gaze lingered on him for a while before she smiled and led the way towards the entrance of the house she grew up in. Everything was still the same since the last time she had come to visit...which was last week? The week prior to that?

Wow, she actually lost track of something...

"I better warn you, I don't think Mom will react so calmly to the sight of you like I did." Yeah, as though she reacted calmly. "Furthermore, my family is...really weird." Inuyasha only stared at Kagome, waiting for her to slide open the white screened shoji doors to her shrine home.

Kagome sighed, shaking her head in an 'I warned you', and opened the doors. She immediately took off her black and pink Emi sneakers and led Inuyasha further into the house, where a loud clamor resonated throughout the residence.

"Tadaima! It's me, Kagome! I'm home early!" A few seconds ticked by and there was no sign that anyone had heard her.

The miko looked at Inuyasha, but he disappeared. What–he completely vanished?! Though, before she could start freaking out, she noticed he was merely playing with her over-weight-and-proud-about-it cat, Buyo. The hanyou was holding Buyo's creamy front paws in her hands, making the orange and cream cat meow unhappily as he stumbled from left to right.

Kagome quirked an eyebrow and decided that the demon god tortured her cat plenty enough. "Come on, Inuyasha, stop playing with Buyo and let's go find my family. I think they're all in the family room."

Inuyasha quickly straightened and cleared his throat loudly, hastily muttering something about not playing with the damn cat. Kagome knew otherwise, however, but she only nodded, deciding to let him savor the diminishing pride he possessed.

The mortal and immortal walked towards the family room, yet Kagome had to stop every few seconds since Inuyasha picked up random objects around the shrine home and 'examined' them by sniffing them. All the while, the noises from earlier continued to become louder and louder.

Kagome couldn't guess what her family was doing, but it sounded like....

"Guess what Souta, darling? You owe me rent! Cough up the dough!"

"But Mom, I don't have much left! And besides, I just got out of jail and I had to bail Gramps out!"

"You snooze you lose, mister! Oh, and that's 40,000 yen."

"What?! 40,000 yen?!"

"Back when I was a young man, with 40,000 yen I could have moved to Hong Kong and still have money left over to start a farm..."

"Don't start with your stories, father! I'm still waiting on the 80,000 yen you owe me from rent and jail expenses!"

"Really, Gramps, you should stop getting caught. Sheesh, I only went to jail three times..."

"I agree! You have to learn the art of discreet business like us."

"I guess I can't sell you my valuable Shikon Jewel key chains to change your minds?"

"Oh yeah, when they're worth something, Gramps."

"-sigh- I'm going to jail again–can you pay the bail for me, daughter?"

"Once you hand me my rent! Owning hotels and houses around here isn't cheap!"

...they were arguing over Gramps going to jail and Mom asking Souta for rent money?! Since when did Souta possess 40,000 yen?! Since when was her mother so demanding and owned a hotel?! Since when did her grandfather go to jail, apparently more than three times?! And what discreet business?!

Her family was part of the Yakuza!

Meanwhile, Inuyasha gazed at Kagome in confusion, not having one clue as to what was occurring in the other side of the thin wooden wall he leaned against. Actually, he had no desire to discover their 'discreet business'.

But, Kagome couldn't bear the mystery any longer and at long last stepped into the family room, and gaped at what her family was really doing: playing Monopoly.

Oh my gods... All her worry was for nothing!

She should have known–only her family could become so rowdy playing Monopoly. They made it sound like it was reality! It seemed like her mother was the one winning, given that she has numerous piles of different colored paper money in front of her, while her little brother Souta had three and her grandfather only had one.

Hmph, not to mention he was once again in the jail area of the game board.

Kagome sensed a presence behind her as she gawked at her family members, but wasn't alarmed because she knew it was just Inuyasha. He peered at the obliviously playing family, wondering what type of human magic they were performing with a board and...rainbow colored paper?

Was that the type of currency in the mortal realm? Rainbow money?!

Mortals were strange...

"What the hell are they doing? Placing a curse on a wealthy family?" Kagome doubled over in laughter, and it was at that moment the three family members in the room noticed their two new arrivals.

Mrs. Higurashi gaped at the sight of a tall boy standing behind her raven-haired daughter, who threatened to roll on the floor laughing, and raised her hand to cover the gaping hole that was her mouth. Souta surveyed the newcomer in total shock, but unlike his unmoving dark-haired mother, stars shined in his chestnut eyes and the corners of his mouth slowly formed a huge smile on his face.

And the grandfather of the family...ran out of the room through a back door entrance/exit, merely to appear half-a-second later with five sutras in his hand.

"Demon be gone!" Inuyasha eyed the scrolls that had been thrown at him, and then glowered at Kagome when she doubled over on the floor again in uncanny laughter. Well, to him it was uncanny. He should have taken her previous warning more seriously.

Kagome's family was pretty weird....

"Is this supposed to hurt me in some way? 'Cause I don't see it doing anything, old geezer..." Inuyasha said in a bored tone, peeling the poorly written scrolls from his crimson haori and letting them float carelessly onto the wooden tatami floor.

He hid a snicker as the old man in front of him paled a considerable white before he started shaking. Though, he probably wondered why his scrolls didn't work rather than focus on the fact that a hanyou god invaded his home and could have killed him for his insolence right then and there.

By now, Kagome finally controlled her laughter and turned to her family, who all bore the same shocked look in their eyes. But she swore the wheels in her brother's head were turning...

"Um...ok...Mom, Souta, Gramps, this is Inuyasha. Inuyasha, this is my mother, my little brat brother Souta, and...Gramps." Kagome pointed to each person while Inuyasha nodded and yawned, leaning on the wooden door frame.

Everyone was still staring at him with their eyes resembling eggs, and the urge to wipe their shock from their faces entered his system. He didn't know how to accomplish the task without it involving violence, however...

"It's...it's...it's you..."

Inuyasha straightened his spine like a rod and stared at Kagome's mother with devoted attention. Actually, everyone in the family directed their gazes towards Mrs. Higurashi, who seemed even more shocked and surprised than prior, if that was possible.

"What do you mean by that? Do you know me?" The dark-haired woman nodded to the hanyou's question, and it was Inuyasha's turn to be surprised.

So, his mother was right–this woman would know the details of his alleged marriage. Wait, how did she know him, anyway? He was sure he never saw her before! The hanyou was too confused to register anything else, not even when Kagome stepped forward and spoke.

"Mom, we need to talk to you in the kitchen, please. Come on, Inuyasha, this way." She dragged along the hanyou by the elbow to the kitchen since he didn't seem to be in the present era, and Mrs. Higurashi followed after the two in zombie stupor, as well.

Souta and Gramps were befuddled–who knew what the heck was happening?–but they decided it was a good opportunity to steal some of the former female player's piles of money...

"Hmm, I don't think I want to be in jail anymore, either..."

And so, Gramps moved himself over to the dark purple section, passing the GO, and collected 24,000 yen instead of paying bail. Souta and his grandfather distributed Mrs. Higurashi's money 'evenly' between them, and took over the game in their favor.

Nothing was fair anymore.

But they stopped playing when they heard Kagome screaming.A/N: Why's Kagome screaming? Is she angry? Being attacked? Scared? Happy? Who knows, go play monopoly and find out! I STOLE YOUR MONEY HAHA! ::runs off with various colored monopoly money::