InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On The Sea ❯ Shock! ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Nine: Shocking!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! (just cuz I feel like it ^_^)

Kagome's heart leapt into her throat as she ran down the hallway leading to the barracks. Over the short time she had been with the Sea Maiden she had experienced her fair share of storms. But the one that she saw and felt coming tonight was the biggest one yet. She had seen the panic in Inuyasha's eyes, and she feared for the safety of the ship and it's crew.

"ALL MEN ON DECK!!" Kagome yelled at the top of her lungs as she hurtled into the barracks.

The response to her shout was immediate, the men tumbled out of the hammocks pushing past each other and all but crushing Kagome in their rush to get to the top deck. Kagome yelped as someone's elbow was thrust back painfully into her eye. She didn't have much time to dwell on it though; she was needed on the top deck.

"Kage!" Miroku's voice strained over the crowd of sailors that were making their way to the upper deck.

Kagome gave a glance over her shoulder and saw through the mess of sailors Miroku's frantically waving hand.

"What is it!?" Kagome shouted back, she didn't have time to wait for him, not that this crowd would allow her to anyway, she felt like she was in a herd of cattle being pushed to and fro.

But Miroku never answered her as he was swept away with the "current" of the crowd. Kagome shrugged as she pushed past some of the sailors who weren't running fast enough.

When Kagome reached the top deck rain was coming down hard, making it hard to see past one own hand. She could hear Inuyasha and Kouga calling out orders, the sounds of men running back and forth as their feet slapped loudly against the hard wooden planks. She could hear the creaking of the main mast as the fierce winds practically made it bend to their will. Kagome winced as she heard the splintering of wood.

"REEF THE SAILS!!" Inuyasha and Kouga bellowed out simultaneously.

There were a few muffled grunts as the men pulled the sails up so they were only have mast. This was done to take the stress off the mast so it wouldn't snap in half on them. There was just one problem with reefing the sails though. . . it slowed them down drastically. Now it would take even longer to get out of this storm.

Kagome nearly got the air knocked out of her when a heavy body collided with hers, sending them both sprawling to the ground.

"Ugh!" Kagome grunted in pain as she tried to push the other person off of her.

"Blimey! I'm sorry Kage!" Shippo's voice called out from above her as he lifted himself off of her. "I can barely see me own feet let alone where I'm goin!"

"Its `k Shippo." Kagome grunted as she got unsteadily to her feet. The ship was rocking wildly beneath her feet, causing Kagome to grope blindly for something to cling to.

Shippo peered through the heavy rain at Kagome and scowled.

"Ye idiot! Where's yer lifeline!?" He growled lowly.

Kagome's eyes widened in shock as she realized the mistake she was about to make. In every storm a long piece of rope was tied around every sailors waist, to prevent the waves that crashed down onto the ship to wash them over board.

"I uh forgot?" Kagome winced.

Shippo scowled and rolled his eyes.

"Yer goin `ter get yourself killed one `o these days Kage." He mumbled as he grabbed Kagome's wrist and led her towards the main mast. Shippo got a rope and tied it securely around her waist, and then he tied the other end securely to the mast. The rope was long and would allow Kagome to walk freely around the deck without being washed overboard.

"C'mon Kage we have to-"

Shippo's never finished his sentence as a humongous wave swept down from above, nearly knocking the boat over. Kagome held her breath under the salty spray as she lost her footing and slid sideways across the deck. The rope around her waist tightened, stealing the breath from her lungs, just as she was about to go over.

`Note to self: thank Shippo later. . .'

"Captain! We're taking on water sir!" a hoarse cry came from below.

"Shit." Kagome cursed, they just might not make it out of this one alive.

That's when Kagome saw Inuyasha over by the helm. He was drenched, completely and his shirt clung to his chest, showing off his washboard stomach and hard muscles that came with hard work. His silver hair was plastered to his forehead, shading those golden eyes that appeared so calm and collected.

"I want you men there" he said pointing at a group of men who had just come up from below deck "to throw the excess overboard, anything we don't need goes over the side!" Inuyasha shouted.

Kagome picked herself up off her feet and froze when she felt his gaze upon her.

"And you, cabin boy, you help them." Inuyasha added before turning around to give the other men orders. Kagome shook her head, her wet hair slapping her face. She was cold, freezing actually and was soaked to the bone. `But then again so is everyone else and you don't see them complaining.' Kagome reminded herself as she ran to do what Inuyasha had ordered. It was going to be a long night. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

When the sun broke through those seemingly never ending gray clouds and the first rays of sunlight hit the Sea Maidens decks, a cry of cheer rose up from the crew. Kagome let out a sigh and slumped against the railing. She, like everyone else, was exhausted. They had been up all night fighting off the storm and they had barely made it. The Sea Maiden had been tossed around in the waves like a small child's toy in a bath tub. It was a miracle they made it out. Over the course of the night they had thrown over board more then half their supplies. Including one of the cooking pots that Kagome personally had to lug up to the top deck and throw over board, much to the objection of Ayame. They wouldn't be able to stop at Port Nadunk, simply because they would never be able to make it that far on the supplies they had. This meant that they would need to stop at the nearest port and repair the Sea Maiden as well as buy new supplies. They would have to last only a week on the supplies they had on board before they reached the next port, Port Vennin. Which was pretty fortunate seeing as how the supplies they had would probably only last a week anyway. ( ^_^ )

Kagome let the warm comforting rays of the sun hit her in the face as she leant back against the rail. `God it feels good to be warm again,' Kagome thought wryly.

"Hey cabin boy"

Kagome turned to see Inuyasha striding towards her purposefully. She let out a small sigh.

"No rest for the weary." She mumbled as she stood up and walked towards Inuyasha. His silver hair seemed to glow in the morning sunlight, almost as if it were alive. He let a small smirk grace his lips as he stopped in front of Kagome.

"Aye Captain." Kagome asked weakly. She was ready to fall over and just sleep where she landed, but she'd be damned if she'd let Inuyasha know.

Inuyasha smirked down at her, god how she wanted to wipe the smirk off his face.

"We sustained damage to the foremast's sail last night boy, I'm making it your job to sew it up. You do know how to sew don't you? Your friend Shippo assured me you were quite good at it."

Kagome gritted her teeth, OO when she got her hands on Shippo . . .

"Aye sir, I know how to sew." Kagome replied shortly. `That little knave, he probably said that just so he could get out of sewing it. . .' Kagome inwardly seethed.

"Good, hop to it." Inuyasha demanded before turning on his heel and marching away.

"Ayame!" Inuyasha called out.

A glowering Ayame marched right up to Inuyasha, her cheeks were flushed and there was a murderous look in her eye.

Inuyasha took a hesitant step backwards; his eyes wide and a shocked expression graced his features.

"Aye, captain, I have a bone to pick with you. . ." Ayame all but growled as she pointed a finger at Inuyasha.

"I-"

"Oh no you don't! I don't want to hear that rubbish, you threw more then half of the galley food over the side o' the ship las' night. That's more then HALF the food that I have to feed you slugs. Did it ever once occur to you that maybe just MAYBE we were low on food already?! And ye sent those men a rampaging through m' galley! If ye knew anything about a woman its that ye don't touch her kitchen! Now we about enough food and FRESH WATER to last us three days, that's with the rationing. And it'll take us mor'n that to reach Port Vennin!" Ayame hissed lowly.

Inuyasha stared at Ayame in shock. "Maybe you should get some rest Ayame I don't think your fit to-"

"Get some rest! Get some rest! You, you, pig headed man! I've known you since you were a wee lad! This has nothing to do with a woman's follies. We're going to half a half starved crew by the time we reach Venin."

Inuyasha sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Ayame, your making a scene . . . look its only three days, we'll make it." Inuyasha replied.

Ayame threw her hands up in the air and let out a frustrated yell.

"Fine CAPTAIN, jus' fine." She said as she stormed down below deck.

Inuyasha sighed and turned to see Kagome staring at him.

His golden eyes narrowed.

"Get to work boy." He growled angrily. Kagome's eyes widened and she practically stumbled over her own feet to get the remaining thread they had to sew up the sail. She had never seen Inuyasha quite so . . .angry. Somehow she had a feeling that if that had been any other sailor they would have met the ropes end. But not Ayame.

Kagome shook her head and looked over the sail that she was supposed to sew. It had a humongous rip down its center and on one of its sides. When they docked they would have to buy new ones. But until then this was all they had available, and Kagome had to make sure they could use it. So with a sigh she sat down on her upturned bucket and began the tedious task of sewing the darn sail. . . this was going to be a long week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Kagome blinked the stiffness from her eyes as she gazed out at sea. The three days had come and gone, leaving the crew with parched throats and empty stomachs. And to make matters worse it seemed that Inuyasha and Kouga became cranky and hard task masters when they had no food to fill their bellies. Kagome shook her head, trying to clear the cloudiness from her mind. She licked her chapped lips and looked blankly at her hands clasped before her. She let the crash of the waves, the creak of the Ship and the sounds of men hard at work fill her. And it was these simple moments, the moments when she was alone with only her thoughts that she began to feel homesick. She missed her house at High Hall. She missed Rin, her best friend and confidant. She missed her friends and her dog. She even missed her mother and father . . . and with a wry smile she even admitted that she missed Kikyo too. She let out a small sigh and shook her head.

"I'm delirious, that has to be it. . ." Kagome mumbled shaking her head again, as if to clear her thoughts.

"Home sick huh?" Miroku's calm voice came from her side. Kagome cast a surprised glance up at him. She must really be slipping; she didn't even hear him approach.

"Yeah, I guess I am." Kagome said with a small smile.

"Me too, it's been a while since I've been to see my mother, I can't help but worry about her." Shippo said from her left. Kagome nearly jumped, `so they both had snuck up on me. . .'

"Ah, I know the feeling. . ." Miroku sighed. "Though if I were to visit my mother now she would probably knock me one with her frying pan. . ."

"Why would she do that?" Kagome asked innocently.

"Well because the last time I saw her was when I was 12, and I'm not sure if that was before or after I stole the china."

Kagome shook her head sadly.

"You stole from your own mother?" Shippo asked incredulously.

"Well it's really not that bad when you think about it; I stole it from her who stole it from out neighbor who stole it from some rich guy up on some hill. . ."

Kagome tried to hide the smile that came to her lips. Shippo just shook his head sadly.

"You must have an interesting family." Shippo muttered, making Kagome break out in laughter.

"So how about you Kage? Are you going to see your family when we dock?"

Kagome swallowed nervously. They had never asked her a really personal question before . . . how was she supposed to answer?

"Uh probably not. . ." Kagome trailed off. What was she supposed to tell them? `Oh no, if I did my mother would probably push me back into my pretty little dresses and marry me off to some bozo . . .oh did I forget to mention I'm a girl?' RIGHT. . .

"What did you run away from home?" Miroku chuckled.

"Well . . . yeah, you could say that." Kagome said with a smirk.

Miroku and Shippo just shook their heads.

"What?" Kagome asked.

"It's just that you don't seem like the type is all." Shippo mumbled.

Kagome shook her head, `you have no idea. . .'

"Welcome to the club Kage." Miroku said, slinging his arm around her neck.

"Us runaways have to stick together right?"

Kagome laughed and shrugged his arm off her shoulder.

"Aye, that we do." She replied, still smiling.

"LAND-HO!! Off the starboard side!

"You heard him men! I want this Ship in ship shape by the time we dock!" Inuyasha growled out loudly.

Kagome sighed shaking her head sadly, knowing what was coming.

"Eh Cabin Boy! Swab those decks!" Kouga shouted out hoarsely. It was a wonder he hadn't lost his voice yet. Kagome really wished he would.

"Tough luck, eh?" Miroku chuckled as he slapped Kagome on the back, knocking the air from her lungs.

"Yea. . ." she whispered. It was times like these when Kagome realized just how much of a girl she was . . . and that no matter how hard she tried she could never really become a boy, though it was fun to pretend. (^-^)

"Hey cheer up matey, when we're finished we'll spend a night out on the town- just the guys." Shippo said punching her arm playfully.

"Yea just the guys. . ." Kagome murmured as a frown marred her usual cheerful features.

"Cabin boy!!"

"AYE! I heard ya the first time!" Kagome shouted as she stormed away. Leaving her two bewildered friends behind.

"Was it something I said?" Shippo asked, his green eyes wide with shock. Kage was known for his patience, especially with Kouga. . .although there were a few exceptions. *cough* Inuyasha*cough*

Miroku sighed and lightly stroked his chin, a habit he had picked up from his father before the old man passed away.

"I think perhaps there may be something troubling our young Kage, something that hits close to home." He murmured softly.

"Yea, I think your right." Shippo said nodding his head in agreement.

"I usually am. . . "

"What's that supposed to mean!?"

"Oh nothing, just that I'm usually right about things like this and you are usually-"

"I think wiv every word ye speak yer head keeps on gettin' bigger and bigger." Shippo snorted.

"Why you should be one to talk you-"

"WOULD YOU TWO GET TO WORK!?"A red faced Kouga screamed in their ears nearly scaring them both out of their skins.

"A-aye."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Kagome threw the brush into the bucket as she slowly rose onto her feet. They had docked over an hour ago, Inuyasha and a handful of sailors had gone to get the supplies needed while Kouga watched over the ship and Sesshoumaru's men of course. It had taken her a long time to swab the deck, Kouga kept insisting that it wasn't clean enough, and that she was missing spots. `Crazy bastard' Kagome thought wryly. It was obvious that he was trying to keep her busy, Inuyasha probably ordered it. Kagome could just imagine Inuyasha giving an order like that. She grit her teeth. That man could be so confusing sometimes. He trusts her one second then the next. . .

Shaking her head she tried to ignore her growling stomach that kept insisting to be heard. Three torturously long days without food. `Mama would have a heart attack if she ever found out. . .'

Smiling at the thought of her mother's displeasure Kagome picked up the bucket and brush and put them away. The ship was spotless and gleaming in the afternoon sunlight in all its glory. Or something along those lines. It was also strangely empty.

"Hey Kage, you want to hurry up!? We want to get going!" Shippo shouted from the plank, motioning her to hurry.

Kagome nodded her head and walked over to Kouga to get permission to leave the ship.

After seeing the SPOTLESS deck he begrudgingly allowed her to as long, he said, as `you're in the company o' one o' the crew.'

Kagome rolled her eyes and joined her friends. She would have to have a talk with Inuyasha later. . . but for now she wanted to have fun. She still had all the money that she had taken with her from High Hall tucked safely in her boot.


"Come on already!" Kagome called out behind her. She, Miroku and Shippo had been to two restaurants already, they had gotten kicked out of the first one-Miroku had made a move on the owner's daughter, and gotten into three fights. Which they won, of course. ^_^. Least to say, Miroku and Shippo were wiped out, but Kagome was still full of energy. It felt great being back on land, though it did feel un-natural after being on sea all those months. She felt . . . land sick? Kagome laughed and all but skipped ahead of her friends in search of some stores, not TOO girly of course. She could do with a pocket knife and maybe a book to read when she was bored.

Miroku looked ahead at his younger friend. "I wonder where he gets all the energy. . ." Miroku mused out loud.

"Beats me mate, but he aint getting it from me that's for sure. I'm wiped." Shippo sighed beside him, his shoulders slumped in exhaustion.

Miroku chuckled dryly as he picked up his pace a little, trying to keep up with Kage. He could barely see the boy now, just a speck and getting smaller and smaller.

"C'mon mate, we can't let the little rogue get into any trouble now can we? Remember that time in Bambei when he was cornered by two men twice his size?"

"Aye but he nearly fought himself outta that one he did." Shippo replied, as he forced his tired legs to walk faster.

"Aye. . .almost."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Kagome was ecstatic; there were so many people and places here. She almost didn't want to go back to the ship. She tried to slow down a bit, to let the guys catch up with her. Maybe it was a woman thing, the willingness to spend money and never get tired while doing it, she didn't know and frankly she didn't care. Kagome stuck her hands into the pockets of her well worn pants. She looked around curiously at all the different shops, there were shops for just about everything at this particular port. She really needed that pocket knife. . .

Kagome strolled down the street, the crowd dwindling slowly, and she began to whistle an old tune that she had heard when she was a small girl.

And that's when it happened. At that very moment a single hoarse cry was heard from up the street and Kagome's world was turned upside down. . .

(A/n: Okay you know this would be a GREAT place to stop it but I wont because I'm not evil. . .well not entirely)

A humongous body collided with hers, knocking her down to the ground. The heavy body's weight knocked the air out of her lungs and Kagome swore she saw stars as she lay on her back on the hard cobble stone street. Kagome felt claws digging into her shoulder as something hot large and wet dribbled over her face in long strokes. Kagome opened confused brown eyes only to have a black, cold wet nose thrust into her face.

Kagome gasped in shock. "Rufus!?" she whispered hoarsely, receiving an approving "bark" from the familiar furry face.

"Move out of the way!"

A female hand grabbed Rufus's collar and hauled the giant dog off of Kagome, though not without difficulty. Kagome looked up to see a girl around her age wearing boy's pants and a white cotton shirt that did little to hide the curves underneath. Her raven black hair was worn up in a high ponytail and there was a scowl on the girl's pretty face as she looked at Rufus with undisguised scorn. The girl propped her arms on her hips and glared down at the dog.

Kagome's eyes widened in immediate recognition . . . Oh god this was NOT good. How could she have forgotten that Sango lived near Venin?

"I'll say it once and I'll say it again, you are the most horribly trained dog I have ever met." She turned to Kagome who had finally gotten shakily to her feet.

"I'm sorry sir; I don't know what got into him he usually is pretty well behaved but. . ."

Sango's eyes widened in shock, she blinked as if trying to clear her vision and shook her head. When she opened her eyes again she let out a startled hoarse whisper.

"Kagome!?"

Kagome glanced back down the street, Miroku and Shippo were now running full out towards them, apparently they had heard and seen the commotion. `Shit!' Kagome's voice screamed in her head. She had to do something and do it fast or else she was going to make an uncomfortable situation even more uncomfortable.

Kagome gripped Sango's shoulders tightly and looked deeply into the brown eyes of her friend that she had known all her life.

"Sango I don't have time to explain, just please, play along. . ."

"Kage are you alright!?" Miroku panted as he came to a stop next to the pair.

"We saw that huge dog attack you and-

Miroku trailed off as he finally noticed Sango.

"Hey, who's your friend?" he asked, that same lecherous glint in his eyes as he had in the bar.

Sango opened her mouth to reply but Kagome cut her off by embracing her tightly in a bone crushing hug.

"Miroku, I'd like you to meet my. . .cousin Sango."

Shippo had arrived just in time to hear Kagome's last statement.

"COUSIN??" Miroku and Shippo asked simultaneously, shock written clearly on their features. Sango sent Kagome a questioning look. Apparently she was just shocking everyone today.

`Shit, shit, shit'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Well that's it! How was it? *cocks eyebrow* It took me long enough to write it, ne? lol. I normally wouldn't have taken this long but I had to update a chapter in my fic "Don't Cry" as a birthday present for a friend first and pound out a chapter for a fic that I am co-writing. So I've been a pretty busy girl ^_^ I try, really I do but my life gets a little hectic sometimes.

THANKYOU EVERYONE WHO REVIEWED! It is REALLY appreciated. When there are reviews in my inbox I do my little happy dance . . . which is really scary if you are watching it but hey *shrugs* ^_^ So kudos to all you guys who reviewed me. . .and the kudos goes to . . . *drum roll please* …….

KUDOS!!!

--------------

bonessasan

Kolinshar Jackie-chan Benito

acidic_green . . . who reviewed twice thanks, lol, I know I take long on the updates ^_^

al-khidr lover

Shini Maxwell

Paragorgon . . . Mr. Stubby *snicker* That's a good one, lol!

Sashlea

mellerz . . . I agree with you, though I'm thinking that it will be a mutual thing ya know? And

Kagome is definitely not gonna be a weak little girl in this story ne? ^_^

HanyouSweety

sete2008

marioman . . .Mario huh? As in the game right? I have a foodservice chef who looks exactly like Mario its soo freaky, what's even weirder is that the other chef looks like luigi. . .I swear to god. . .

The Krazed Kitsune

Mav1 I hope this chapter answered your question ^_^ I've had this chappie in the back of my mind since I started this fic, besides I mentioned Sango's name in the first chapter *bangs head on wall*

velvetwilight

KALTH1389

Yuki

SwtAngl53

Ryoko.Kilala

ArtificialWatermelonFlavoring . . .First off I have to say that I LOVE your penname! ^_^ lol, I like it a lot! Okiee numbero two THANKYOU FOR REVIEWING! Lol ^_^ And finally the answer to the age old question "Why are squirrels evil?" They just are I mean, come on! What can possibly be that cute? *cocks eyebrow* that's what I thought ^_~ hehehe

Greenleaf

flare2

Silvershark Yea sorry about the addresses . . .I don't know what's wrong with my computer. . .*glares at computer* but yeah I will TRY to email them to you, my stupid e-mail thingy has been really messed up lately. . .*once again glares at computer* but I will try! I WILL DANGIT! …sorry its just one of those days when I get overly emotional ^_~

kirei kimochi

lil-fluffy-foxgirl-07 *blushes* aww now I'm all embarrassed ^_^ I'm glad you like my fic so far ^_^ Thank ya for reviewing ^_^

LtlSwimmerGurl

setsuna-3000

yaz . . . poo. . . that brings back old memories. . .

bettychan

NBKitty . . .OOO a relative! Maybe you can come over and we can play with a ball of string ne? lol ^_^ Glad ya like the fic ^_^

Chezzycake . . . yea it does doesn't it? That's what I was thinking but I didn't want him to come off that way *sigh* what's an author to do? And you know what your penname is making me hungry . . . I think imam go grab some o' dat upstairs ^_^ Thanks for your review *tear* it means a lot to me!!

Hiikaru . . . that's a good idea but I don't know, I mean I wasn't TRYING for it to sound that way. . .she's just a really loyal person ya know, almost like a dog. . . ok that's just ironic. . .

Ryouya-Kyuuketsuki . . .No I cant say I have. What's it about, I just might check it out later when I have more time, usually I'm a read-a-holic but I've been so busy lately I haven't had time ! *sobs* I'm okay . . . really I am. . .

Iotathesweet

Sprout

Sunset10

Fire Witch1 wouldn't ya'll like to know! Lol ^_^ I aint telling! ^_^ Am I evil yes. . .yes I am. . .

Jessi Lynn Yeah I think your right, I may not do a lemon, it would be my first fanfic without one you know, lol. Though if people really want me to I can always post it on mediaminer, thanks for the suggestion ^_^

Pia Bartolini Recently I have acquired a small squirrel like stuffed animal, can you guess what I named it? KING FUZZY NUTS, KING OF ALL THE SQUIRELLS!! ^_^ Hmm a shrink you say? No that's okay, they make me feel inferior, always saying that I have a problem and trying to put me into Inns-tutu-ions something like that… *shrugs* I don't like those tutu things and either does Mr. fuzzy nuts. . .

bluefuzzyelf . . . I just have to say. . . I love this penname

gothkid

sashlea

Crispy Muffin You have no idea how very honored I am. . .Do ya still like it? ^_~

FireKitsune