InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On The Sea ❯ Chapter ten ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 10:

Kagome's frantically beating heart thundered in her ears. She was stuck- and she knew it, what was worse was that Sango knew it too.

Kagome had known Sango all her life, they were the best of friends and could almost constantly be seen together. Sango was a tomboy, her father allowed her to "express" herself freely, indulging in his only daughter's wants and needs. Sango said it probably had something to do with her mother, who died not long after Kohaku was born. Her mother had pleaded with her father to let Sango grow up as an individualist, to let her follow whichever avenue she saw fit. Her father had, reluctantly, agreed. And it wasn't as if Sango was scorned and not loved, but quite the opposite really. Her father was very proud of her and he loved her very much. Sango was the best rider, had the best shot, she was the fastest runner and the best at fighting. She would have made the perfect son. . .

"Yea I'm her cousin. Do you have a problem with that, gentlemen?" Sango asked, crossing her arms over her chest and cocking an eyebrow at the openly gaping Miroku and Shippo. They shook their heads numbly.

"No miss, you misunderstand us entirely. It is just that young Kage has never told us about his family-and the beautiful women in it." Miroku said solemnly, that small devious smirk on his lips and that glint in his eyes that he gets when he is trying to charm a woman into his bed.

Sango blushed, heat rising into her cheeks. No one had ever talked to her like that before.

Kagome shook her head sadly. "Miroku, she's MY COUSIN." Kagome reiterated. She knew how Miroku was with women and did not want Sango to get hurt.

"Oh, right." Miroku said shaking his head as if to clear his lecherous thoughts.

"Do girls around here always wear breeches?" Shippo asked innocently.

Sango tensed, she was familiar with the mean teasing that accompanied dressing as she wanted to. However, she sensed the innocence in the question-Shippo wasn't mocking her.

"No not usually, but I just came from the stables." Sango said with a shrug.

"What were you doing there?" Shippo asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Kagome visibly tensed. It just so happened that Sango was the owner of the stables she so frequently visited; it had been a birthday present from her wealthy noble father. Sango loved animals, especially horses and dogs. That's why Kagome had left Rufus with her. But if Miroku and Shippo found out that Sango had noble blood in her then they would more then likely infer that Kagome was a noble as well. And that would bring them one step closer to figuring out who she really was.

"She, uh-she works as a stable hand." Kagome said quickly, cutting off Sango's reply.

Sango turned to Kagome and all but glared at her, but she could sense the seriousness of the situation and held her tongue.

"Really now?" Miroku asked sounding truly interested "So you must know a lot about horses."

Sango nodded her head firmly. "Yes I do."

Just then Rufus decided to make his presence known by jumping up and placing his two furry front paws on Kagome's shoulders and bathed her face with his bug wet pink tongue.

"Ugh! Rufus." Kagome laughed pushing the dog off of her.

"I missed you too boy." Kagome said, getting down on her haunches and scratching behind the goofy hulking dog's ears. Rufus's tail waved happily in the air, hitting Shippo's pant leg.

"Is that THING a dog? It's huge!" Shippo asked his green eyes shone with distrust.

Kagome stood up smiling, her hand absently scratching Rufus's head.

"Yea he's my dog, his name is Rufus." Kagome said, still smiling.

Rufus always had that effect on her- it was hard to be upset around the big furry goon. And it was good to see Sango again too- even if it did almost scare her to death.

"Dogs-" Shippo said scornfully, backing up a bit as Rufus turned to him and cocked his head to the side, his tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth. He was the perfect picture of that cute doggy innocence that all dogs seemed to posses. He looked up at Shippo and let out a playful bark, making Shippo jump and duck behind Miroku.

Kagome laughed at Shippo's reaction. "Not a dog lover, he mate?"

"Oh come now Shippo, you aren't afraid of a little dog now are you?" Miroku chuckled as he motioned towards Rufus who blinked up happily at them, his tail wagging behind him.

"I aint afraid of no dog-" Shippo said defensively "and that THING is not little!"

Miroku Kagome and Sango chuckled at Shippo, whose cheeks were flaming red now.

"So. . ." Sango said, turning towards Kagome and giving her a questioning look.

"What brings you to Venin. . .cousin?"

Kagome winced and put on an innocent look, or as innocent as she could manage.

"I. . .uh, that is we are just docking here- to repair the ship and. . ."

"The ship!? Kago-Kage what were you thinking!? Don't tell me you've actually become a sailor?"

a faint blush tainted Kagome's cheeks as she scratched the back of her head.

"Actually I'm the Cabin boy. . ."

"Oh gods, how!?" Sango said rubbing her temples "How do you do it?"

"I, uh, Sango- can we talk about this later?" Kagome chuckled nervously.

Sango glared hard at Kagome.

"Yes and we will be talking about it . . .Kage."

Kagome let out an inward sigh of relief. `. . .Why? why, oh why do the gods hate me so?' giving a mental shrug Kagome turned to see Miroku looking at her with a curious expression on his face.

`Greaaaat. . ..'

"Come on mates, ye wanna come with me while I have dinner with my cousin?" Kagome asked. She knew it was lame, but Kagome really didn't want to explain her situation to anyone right now. And if she was alone with Sango that's what would happen, one way or another.

"Aw, come on Kage, we've eaten twice already." Shippo said, still hiding behind Miroku.

"An' this will make it the third time- one each fer the three days I went without eating. `Sides I want to get Cap'n Sesshoumaru some real food, instead o that galley slop they feed `im."

"Aye, I agree with young Kage." Miroku said sagely, crossing his arms and nodding his head.

"More like ye aint goin ter turn down a free meal-" Shippo grumbled.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Miroku asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"It means yer a good fer nothing free loader is wut it means." Shippo shot back pointing a finger at him.

"Aw shuddup, ye sound like my mother. At least I'm not afraid of dogs." Miroku smirked.

"Why you!"

Soon the two were wrestling right there in the street, Miroku had Shippo in a head lock while Shippo was biting Miroku's arm.

Sango smiled at their bickering and turned to Kagome.

"Are they always like this?"

"I'm afraid so. . ." Kagome sighed, shaking her head softly. "Come on Sango; let's go get something to eat." Kagome said, walking down the street, Rufus at her heels. Sango smiled and followed her friend- she had A LOT of explaining to do. But that was Kagome for you; she always was good at getting into trouble.

Miroku and Shippo paused in their bickering to see Sango and Kage walking down the street away from them.

"Hey wait up!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

It took the group a good ten minutes to agree on a place to eat. Miroku had insisted that they go to Lu's brothel- for which both Kagome and Sango had immediately slapped him upside the head. Shippo wanted to go to the usual . . . bars. Kagome argued that she didn't want to bring her cousin to a place like that; women just didn't belong in the bars they so often frequented. Sango had immediately glared at her, but agreed.

So they settled on Little Creek Inn- which wasn't really an Inn at all but a middle class very affordable restaurant. And, to Kagome's delight and Shippo's utter displeasure, they allowed dogs. (^_^)

Kagome entered the dimly lit restaurant first, Rufus trailing not to far behind her. It was a cozy restaurant-not too big but not small either. Small tables and chairs were set up on the left, with fake flowers in cheap cups adorning their surfaces.

To the right were the longer tables and on that side of the room it almost looked like a tavern. There were a group of men crowded around one of those long tables, talking quietly in hushed voices in the corner. But Kagome didn't see too much else as a hand hit her sharply upside her head. Not enough to really hurt but it still stung.

"Ow!" Kagome turned to see Miroku glaring at her. "Oi, what was that for!?" Kagome growled, rubbing the back of her head tenderly.

(Remind u of ne one??? ^_~)

"A gentleman always lets a lady go first." He replied sagely, lifting his head in that `I'm so high and mighty' way of his.

Sango walked through the door rolling her eyes.

"Oh, is that why you pushed me out of the way and into a wall, to question my cousin on his manners eh?"

Miroku turned a light crimson color. "I assure you Lady Sango, it was not intentional I was merely-"

"Stuff it Miroku." Shippo grumbled as he walked into the doorway after Sango rubbing his head tenderly. "That wall `appened to be me."

Kagome smirked at the flustered Miroku.

A sudden crash from the right stole the group's attention as all their heads turned to see what was the source of the disruption.

The men who had been sitting quietly before were all on their feet- and from what Kagome could see they looked angry. She could barely make out the silhouettes of the men in the dim light of the restaurant. They were shouting now and Kagome winced as she heard the sound of breaking glass accompanied with swears that would make a sailor blush. Which was exactly what Kagome was doing. `Well their definitely pirates. . .' Kagome thought absently as their cuss words filled her ears.

Kagome peered into the dark corner, trying to make out what exactly the figures were doing. She caught a glimpse of silver and then she heard the metallic like clang of a sword being drawn from its sheath and through the ruckus of shouts, swears and threats a loud deep gravely voice roared.

"Ye'll not be crossing me again ye scurvy dog! Prepare to die Captain Inu-yash-a." the voice sneered.

Kagome's eyes widened almost impossibly and her heart leapt into her throat. `What that man gotten himself into now?' Kagome thought almost angrily as she ran towards the fray, Miroku and Shippo right behind her.

As she neared Kagome saw that there were eight men, pirates by the looks of them, and they were all in a semi-circle around Inuyasha and two crew members; Hiten and Ginta. Inuyasha looked livid, his hand clutched tightly around the hilt of his sword, his golden eyes flashing dangerously. His mouth was pulled up in one corner and a low growl was drawn from his throat.

"I don't know what the fuck yer talking about, but it'll be a snowball's chance in hell before I let the likes of you kill me. . ." Inuyasha spat, getting into a defensive stance.

"Oh, well we'll just see about that, wont we lads?" the pirate holding his sword snarled. The other men around him grunted and chuckled their agreement as they drew their own swords.

"There be no way ye can take all of us at once, cap'n." the pirate sneered as he chuckled darkly.

Kagome's eyes narrowed, it was going to be eight versus two . . . that wasn't fair at all. She gritted her teeth and grabbed the nearest chair.

"Think again half-wit" she yelled as she smashed the chair onto the unsuspecting pirate's head, shattering it to pieces and sending him crashing to the floor. Inuyasha's golden eyes flicked to Kagome's in silent appreciation. Kagome gave a curt nod before ducking a blow aimed at her head.

"Ye scurvy rat!" One of the pirates bellowed, red faced. Apparently they didn't like the fact that Kagome had just smashed their Captains head in with a chair. `Really, you jut cant please some people. . .' Kagome thought wryly.

"Captain Inuyasha, you were having a party and didn't invite us? I'm hurt." Miroku said mockingly as he sent his fist slamming into yet another pirate's jaw-sending him sprawling to the ground.

"EYAAAAAA!!" Shippo screamed as he launched himself at another pirate, bringing them both to the ground. Kagome shook her head sadly; Shippo never was one for words. . .

Suddenly a hand latched onto her ankle, pulling her to the ground. Kagome looked to see the captain she had knocked down grinning madly at her, his sword raised in the air and ready to come down on her. Kagome sent he foot flying into the pirates face with as much strength as she could muster, breaking his nose and sending a spray of blood flying through the air.

She rolled to the side to avoid a kick aimed at her ribs and jumped to her feet. Only to find herself standing next to Inuyasha who was currently fighting off a very strong looking pirate with arms as thick as tree trunks . . . literally. (a/n: 0.0)

Kagome let a small yip escape her mouth as a sword practically came down on her. She barely avoided it, but it still got her arm. `Damn. . .' Kagome thought gritting her teeth and turning towards her assailant so she and Inuyasha were back to back. `Screw getting a pocket knife, I'm getting a damn sword.' Kagome thought absently as she ducked and bobbed, avoiding all the pirates attacks. A triumphant yell reached her ears and Kagome briefly turned to see Sango mercilessly pounding a pirate into the ground. It figured, Sango was the best fighter at home and knew how to take care of herself in a fight. A blow to the stomach sent Kagome back into reality and she narrowed her eyes dangerously at the pirate who had just dared to strike her. Moving so quickly the pirate didn't even see her, Kagome brought her knee up into his stomach while she shoved the heel of her palm up into his nose, sending him sprawling backwards, blood spurting out of his now broken nose. He didn't get very far before Kagome delivered a devastating kick to his stomach, sending him flying into a table.

Kagome turned to see Inuyasha fending off a different attacker, the one before lying on the ground, dead.

Kagome shook her head and turned her attention back to the fight at hand. Ginta was on the ground bleeding profusely out of the gash on his shoulder. Hiten was on the ground and didn't look like he'd be getting up anytime soon. Shippo was in the corner all but wrestling with a pirate three times his with and girth. Miroku and Sango were back to back fighting off a couple of goons. Both were doing pretty well, though Sango seemed to be struggling with the pirate she was fighting off. Then again, he was twice her size in height and had huge rippling muscles and a sword. . .

Kagome shook her head, clearing her thoughts as yet another pirate came up to her and attacked her. `What the hell!? Where are these guys coming from?' Kagome thought as she was forced backwards, stopping when she felt the warm line of Inuyasha's back against hers. Kagome scowled and punched her attacker in the throat. He backed away as he fell to his knees grabbing his throat, his face turning red from panic and loss of oxygen. He'd get it back soon enough; she hadn't punched him that hard. Kagome kicked the man in the back of the head, effectively knocking him out.

"And stay down!" she commanded.

"Keh, you're pretty good at fighting." Inuyasha grunted as he sent his assailant flying into a nearby table, shattering it into pieces.

"Yea well I get a lot of practice." Kagome said with a smirk as she stepped away from Inuyasha. Suddenly the captain leapt off the floor dagger in hand, flying straight for Inuyasha. It all seemed to happen in slow motion, there was no way Kagome could stop him in time and Inuyasha hadn't seen the attack coming. He was defenseless as he stared wild-eyed at the dagger coming at him.

Kagome's eyes widened almost impossibly as she watched as the dagger was about to hit home. That is until a big blur of brown fur knocked the pirate to the floor. Kagome's face broke out into a grin when she saw Rufus sitting on top of the pirate's chest, his teeth bared and snarling as he clamped down hard on the pirates wrist, forcing him to drop the dagger. The Captain cried out in pain as he head flopped down onto the hard floor, rendering him unconscious.

Kagome let out a sigh of relief. `Note to self: buy a big bucket of dog bones for Rufus.' She glanced around the room, all the pirates were on the floor and Shippo and Miroku were arguing over who kicked the most bad guy butt, like usual.

Inuyasha blinked his golden eyes in shock.

"Come on let's get out of here before they wake up." Kagome said breaking up Miroku's and Shippo's conversation. She walked over to Hiten who was lying on his back, his brow creased in pain. There was a big bloody gash on his chest that soaked his once white shirt until it was red. `Crap.' He was still alive but just barely.

"Miroku, we need to get him back to the ship." Kagome called. Ginta stood up slowly, clutching his bleeding arm to his chest. He swayed a little but walked towards Kagome none the less.

"Is he goin te be okay?" he whispered.

"If we get him back to the ship in time." Kagome answered softly. "Hey Miroku, Shippo, a little help here?" Kagome grunted as she slung Hiten's arm over her shoulder, her other arm around his waist. She was struggling under the taller pirate's weight, but refused to show it. Miroku rolled his eyes and grabbed Hiten, tossing him over his shoulder.

"Let's get out of here." Miroku said calmly as he turned towards the door, Hiten hanging limply on his shoulder. Shippo nodded his head in agreement and grabbed Sango's wrist, leading her out the door, Ginta following not far behind them. Kagome was making her way to the door as well when she turned back to see Inuyasha and Rufus staring at each other.

She shook her head, a small smile on her lips. She let out a low whistle and Rufus's head immediately perked up and turned towards her, his tail wagging as he bounded towards her.

"You coming . . . Captain?" Kagome asked as she turned again, walking towards the doors, Rufus at her heels.

". . .Aye. . ."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

( Ok at this point I would really like to point out that I could just end it here and have it be a lil bit of a cliff hanger but I wont be evil so. . . )

Kagome, Shippo, Sango, Ginta and Inuyasha all stood on the decks of the Sea Maiden. Miroku was below deck with Hiten, who was going to make it after all but he would be in a severe amount of pain for the next month. Rufus was laying at Kagome's feet his head resting on his front paws and his tail swaying back and forth gently.

Inuyasha turned to the small group who stood in a line before him, all of them nervous . . . well all of them except Rufus who didn't seem to care.

"I want to thank you all for . . . helping me today. If it weren't fer you I don't know what would have happened." Inuyasha paused; apparently he wasn't that good at giving thanks and didn't give it often.

"And I owe you my life." Inuyasha said, bending down to scratch Rufus on his head. Rufus's tail wagged faster and he let out a small `wuff' of acknowledgement.

"But we must leave now, and quickly, it appears that Naraku has set me up and I don't know how many people have turned against me now." Inuyasha growled.

Kagome sighed almost sadly, Rufus and Sango had to leave now and she would miss them both. It had been nice while it lasted though . . . Kagome would come back to them someday soon. She couldn't be a cabin boy forever . . . right?

Kagome sighed as she bent down and scratched Rufus fondly on his head.

"I'm goin te miss ya boy." She said softly as he looked up at her, his brown eyes shone with animal curiosity.

"The dog stays." Inuyasha demanded stiffly.

Kagome nearly jumped to her feet. "What are you talking about? Rufus can't stay here, he's a dog, and he's MY dog." Kagome protested.

"Yea well now he's the ship's dog so deal with it." Inuyasha said sternly.

"And the girl stays too!" he said pointing at Sango.

"Whoa, whoa, what!?" Sango protested as she made to go after Inuyasha but was held back by Shippo.

"What are you talking about, Sango can't stay on board! She has a life back on land, she has a family!" Kagome protested.

"She knows too much, I do have a price on my head ye know. Besides, it's for her own good, if any of Naraku's goons got a hold of her. . ."

"I don't THINK so buddy!" Sango said as she ripped herself out of Shippo's grasp and made to leave the ship.

She didn't even make it to the plank before she was whipped off her feet by Kouga, who held the now unconscious Sango in his arms.

"Where do I put `er Cap'n." Kouga asked.

"How bout back on land ye idiot! Leave my cousin alone!" Kagome yelled as she tried to get to Kouga and knock some sense into him, only to find herself being held back by Shippo and Ginta.

Inuyasha ignored Kagome's protests "Put her in Ayame's quarters." Inuyasha said stiffly.

Kagome watched in horror as her friend was carried away down the stairs. It wasn't fair . . . Sango didn't want this life. Hell, Kagome didn't think SHE wanted this life anymore.

Kagome fell to her knees, her head hanging as she ignored the comforting whispers coming from Shippo and Ginta.

Kagome turned her head away and closed her eyes tightly, her teeth gritted. This was what she got for saving the stupid bastard; she should have just walked away.

Feet walking towards her caught her attention and she opened her eyes, only to see Inuyasha's leather boot clad feet. She felt a wave of guilt rise in her and she raised her face so she could see his eyes, and so that he could see the hatred for him burning there in her eyes.

"I quit." She said venomously.

Inuyasha cocked his head to the side. "What?"

"I said I fucking quit, so let me off this goddamn boat."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Well I was a little evil after all. ^_^ oh well. So what did you think of the chapter. I felt a little violent when I was typing this so. . . hehehe. Thanks everyone who reviewed *tear* I feel so appreciated. Now I know all of you want to rip my throat out but if you want me to update that wouldn't be a wise decision now would it? That's right so Review! Or else I will send my little review monkeys after you and they wont stop bothering you until you do!? I dunno why I said that, I just like the sound of it . . .review monkeys. . .lol!! Anyway onto the Kudos to all of you who reviewed me. . .

KUDOS!!!

--------------------------------

HieiandTouyaLover : hey you know I never thought of that. . . it is a possibility tho . . .HEHE I THINK I have been inspired!!

Jet To Brazil

Mav1

ArtificialWatermelonFlavoring : *tear* atleast SOMEONE appreciates me! I try, I really do *sobs* lol. j/p ^_~ Yes, see that's exactly what I'm talking about! Squirrels should be kept in cages and viewed from afar. Chipmunks are cute too though I have a feeling their in league with the squirrels . . . *shakes head* I'm okay really I am. Let me know when your birthday is and I'll dedicate a chapter to ya ^_~ lol. Thanks for the review!

The Girl Who Cried Oro

ForgottenWonder : hehehe I know I had this kinky little daydream about Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru being pirates and thus the creation of On the Sea. Lol, I'm glad you like the fic and I do have to agree with you, it is getting harder and harder to find a good fanfic now in days.

setsuna-3000

cool20 : I just love it when my reviewers figure out what I'm going to do before I do it, lol. Yea Rufus is going to stay! I love dogs too, don't let the penname fool you. . .

The Krazed Kitsune

Silvershark : Ok heres the address for some vocabulary, I found this site and thought it was cute ^_^ h ttp://threepwoodpirates.8m.com/vocab.html. So have fun with it ^_^ *does happy dance* MY STORY IS CLEVER WOOHOO!!! . . .that was a compliment right . . .lol ^_~

tessa3 : Was it really that easy to tell? No actually my uncle owns a lot of boats. . .I am such a pansy on a boat, I get sea sick. Of course the only time I was on one of his boats it was night and there was a huge storm but still *shivers* though I do love water, whats there not to love about it ^_~

al-khidr lover :Soon my friend very soon. . .maybe in the next chapter *evil cackle*

Ryouya-Kyuuketsuki : Oh kewl maybe I will check it out, lol. ^_^ I hope ya liked this chappie, even if I got a little evil with it at the end.

Yaz : LoL! Now you got the song stuck in my head!! Ahhh!!! Lol ^_~

Ebonyangel

LilGiggles

Max :Me thinks you may or may not be right, but am leaning more towards right. ^_^ I hope that didn't confuse you too much. Jeez some ppl just cant be satisfied, I hope this cliffie don't kill ya. . .

Paragorgon : oh my god really? Me too! Mostly because I don't know either 0.0 ^_^ hehehe

Kaguya

angelsong89

Tenshi28

Anandria : god I swear you people are pshcics I mean I have had these last two chapters practically planned out and here you go predicting what I'm going to do! *sigh* lol ^_^

Sora Moto : Geez if that was mean that I'd hate to think what I am this chapter ne?

some-one : Yea, I try really I do ^_^ rocks huh? Hehehe *blush*

Pia Bartolini : OOO background music! Gotta love it ne?

bluefuzzyelf: yea but they were real at one point! Let's build a time machine and go find us some hot-as-hell pirates! Wohoo! I love the pants personally, I mean there so puffy and they look so comfortable. . . *sigh*

LtlSwimmerGurl : You never ever know. Though I have a feeling that secrets will be revealed next chapter. . .maybe. . . MUHAHAHA

Crispy Muffin :hehehe *blushes* I have SUBSTANCE! WOHOO! Yea, I'm a little wound right now, just had a huge bottle of coke. Any way I think u may find some answers to your questions in the next chapter! ^_^

gothkid : lol, yea well we never actually MET sango, we just heard about her in chapter one. Hehehe

leelee189

foxshadow : *cocks eyebrow* what kind of cookies??? O I feel your pain about the room cleaning, actually Kouga making kagome clean the deck over and over again happened right after I had to clean my room. . .and my mother was standing in the doorway . . .oo sometimes . . . lol ^_^

FireKitsune : Hmmm maybe next chappie ne? lol ^_^ Thanks for reviewing!!

OK THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REVIEWS!! I LOVE YA ALL!! *tear*

Review me and tell me what ya thought about this chapter and I'll get cracking on the next. The more reviews I get the faster I update so . . .

REVIEW! Thanks !! ^_^