InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Day You Will ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
One Day You Will
Golden Foxfyre

Disclaimer: :Still looking: Nope, not Japanese. I'm American through and through!


Chapter 3


"Would you stop staring off into space like that?!" Taro-maru snapped, slapping his daughter to get her attention. Ever since she'd come back from the cabin a few weeks ago; she'd been distant, gazing into the distance as if she were watching time spin by.

A sad sigh escaped Izayoi. "I'm waiting for someone." Her violet gaze returned to the landscape beyond the window. 'I have seen him, in my dreams. He's coming.'

One of the guards let out a startled cry. "Youkai!" Others instantly grabbed their weapons to defend the village. The sounds of a scuffle broke out, prompting the noblewoman to run from the house.

"Stop it!" Her voice rang out with the authority she wielded as a miko; causing the guards to halt. Violet eyes were sparkling with suppressed anger. Those idiots didn't realize they'd attacked the Lord of the Western Lands and his heir.

Weapons fell from offensive positions as they backed away, confused. Why would their lady oppose them battling demons that had come into the village? Obviously, there was something those creatures wanted. The samurai wanted to protect all who lived here; yet the miko was stopping them.

"Lady Izayoi, it is good to see you again." Golden eyes softened slightly; a softness that only those who knew him well would catch.

"Likewise, Lord Inutaisho." she replied, calming instantly under his gaze. She'd noticed the change in his gaze, one that hid a thinly veiled emotion that she couldn't quite place. Had he missed her?

Taro-maru glared. Long had he wanted to rid the land of these demons. Why would they come here, and why would his daughter defend them? 'For Kami-sama's sake, she's miko born! How could she not see the danger they pose?' He reined in his temper with intense effort. Anger bubbled beneath a steely countenance. "Lord Inutaisho, why have you come?" Disgust worked its way into his tone of voice; a disgust that he couldn't keep away.

The taiyoukai turned a chilling gaze to his human counterpart. He'd heard what the man tried to hide; and it angered him. Inutaisho took a deep breath before beginning. "I believe we have something to discuss, Lord Taro-maru." He gently took hold of Izayoi's arm, drawing her along with them. Once inside and seated, the youkai began to speak once more. "I grow tired of your constant attacks on my home. I would rather not massacre an entire village to halt them, so I have come to propose a compromise."

"That would be?" Taro-maru prompted with a growl. He was unsure as to what the demon was getting at. His instincts were nagging at him, screaming that he wouldn't like what was about to be said.

Inutaisho sighed, leaning away from the ningen lord. "Should Lady Izayoi be willing, I would take her as my mate according to her customs."

Rage built up within the lord. How dare he?! That really went against his grain. "Why should I do that? Already there are several noblemen asking for her."

A low growl came from the taiyoukai. "My retaliation for the attacks could get worse. This would ensure the peace between us."

That made sense, for the samurai wouldn't attack for fear of harming Lady Izayoi. The taiyoukai wouldn't strike his mate's childhood home. But having ties to a demon was distasteful. It went against everything he'd been taught. "Are you willing, Izayoi?" he ground out between clenched teeth.

She glanced to her hands, her eyes briefly flicking to the demon's then back to her lap. "I am willing. You've taught me that they needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. If being his mate ensures the safety of the village, then it will be done."

Violet eyes quickly met golden ones. She had experience at hiding her emotions beneath a mask of loathing and disdain. But now, that mask had fallen to a youkai who had seen her as she truly was. When not around her father, a kind and gentle miko existed, not hidden from the world.

The apparent shyness in her gaze hid from her father the love she felt for this demon. But the youkai caught it before she rose to her feet and left the room. 'So, that was his excuse. If anything, his retaliations have been on the livestock of the village, making us trade more with others.' She glanced back at the hut, noticing her brother entering. He would be there while the treaty was worked out. The heirs of the lords would sign in witness.

'I find this so hard to believe. My father must be going crazy. Lord Inutaisho won't let him disown me, and if a child does result from this union; it'll force them to accept the child as a nobleman of their own.'

"M`lady!" Ayumi cried, dashing up to her. "What was that about?"

She continued to the corral. "It is not my place to say. You'll find out soon enough." Izayoi gazed at the horses within the corral; watching them celebrate their freedom. A freedom most women would never know. 'At least they don't know how I really feel about him. If they did...' Her thoughts trailed off with a shudder. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed the village priest approaching.

"My lady, it is time." he declared, guiding her to a hut where other women were waiting for her. 'I hope she knows what she's getting herself into. The taiyoukai can be very violent. She'd better stay in her place.'

Izayoi sighed as she entered the hut. Let them fuss over her. After all, this would be her last day in the village. They most likely wouldn't see her again, and if they did, the respect they'd shown her all her life would be replaced with disdain.