InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Shots ❯ Fade Away ( One-Shot )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Fade Away

By: White Luna



“I refuse to have it any other way!” Kikyo spoke firmly. And her eyes shone with nothing but pain and regret.

Kagome's eyes doubled in size as the most intense fear she had ever felt coursed through her like electricity, staring over at Inuyasha. He looked back at her with the same horror, and began to reach for her.

“No, Kikyo! No, please, STOP!”

But it was too late. The sacred arrow had shot through the air, speeding past Kagome.

Kagome had no recollection of time as she started to run out, screaming Inuyasha's name into the night.

Her tears flew from her cheeks, flowing behind her in their wake.

She reached for the arrow, as if trying to grab it, or even fling herself in its path… anything to keep Inuyasha safe…

But she knew it was no use…

It sailed true, flying past her face and nailing Inuyasha to the Goshinboku as it had all those decades ago...

All the while, Inuyasha's last words rang through her ears…

I love you

…He had called out just as Kikyo's arrow pierce his flesh, through his heart…

…She dropped to her knees, disbelieving what was happening…

Not again…

She brought her hands up to her face, touching herself, trying to reassure herself it wasn't a dream… she smacked herself harshly, trying to wake up.

“Wake up, Kagome! It's all a dream! It's all a dream! WAKE UP, PLEASE!” She shrieked desperately, trying to awaken herself from the reverie.

Trying to awaken Inuyasha with her voice, as she always had been able to do...

It's all a nightmare… it has to be…

“It's not a dream,” a very real voice came from behind her. And to Kikyo's surprise, when Kagome turned around, no hatred showed in her eyes…

But something laid there that was an infinity times worse…

Helplessness…

“...whyR 30; why Kikyo…?” she had pleaded desperately, so quietly the dead priestess almost didn't hear…

“So I could rest in peace, knowing his soul is with me…”

That was the only words she offered… the only comfort…

And as Kikyo was surrounded by a soft blue light, Kagome knew all was lost.

“Wait! Wait, Kikyo, WAIT! Please, why…? Why…?”

But Kikyo was gone… and Kagome felt her soul was finally complete, in a sense…

Yet utterly destroyed at the same time…

She flung herself on the ground and began to bawl hysterically, taking radical breaths of air as if she were suffocating.

“…why? …why…? …why…?”

She didn't understand…

“I DON'T UNDERSTAND!” She cried out, the words cracking her throat, scorching her throat raw.

“IT'S NOT FAIR!”

…But nobody seemed to care…

…Not even the heavens…

So she laid there… maybe something would change… Maybe he'd open his eyes, and smile sleepily at her like he always did… as if nothing were wrong…

…Maybe the world will end…

But hours past and still she laid there, and the world continued moving.

So she weakly pulled herself up, dragging herself over to his body…

Of course… she had to do it herself… like last time…

“How silly of me…” she mumbled absent-mindedly. The tears had stopped, but her face was now smudged with dirt… Her eyes looked gone…

She reached up slowly, and grasped the end of the arrow and gave it a tug… and…

…nothing happened…

Inuyasha just hung there, not moving, not breathing…

…not saying her name…

…not calling her stupid…

…or telling her how much he loved her…

…or telling her how he would stay with her only…

…that he finally knew Kikyo wasn't the same and that she could rot in hell…

And when she…she finally was…

“You weren't here…” Again, she mumbled.

Her voice was hazy, almost dreamy…

As if she weren't real, but a doll…

A doll with nothing filled inside her flesh…

She gave another tug, a more heartfelt one.

…still, nothing happened…

She dropped her small hand, smiling suddenly and looking at him with blank eyes. “I'm sorry Inuyasha, I'll let you sleep then. I'll just stay here and wait for you then, until you're ready to go again.”

She sat down at his feet and was resolved not to move until Inuyasha once again called her name, smiled, and told her it was time to go.

And the crickets continued their songs, and fireflies danced past her face, illuminating it with a ghostly beauty… And the world continued on as if nothing ever happened and her fading away was nothing but another sentence in time…