InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Year's Time ❯ Present Situation ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Sesshomaru stood at the bottom of the well holding the injured miko in his arms. He heard the faint whisper of words fade from the well along with the blue light. Inuyasha landed next to him and immediately leapt from the well calling for him to follow. Careful not to injure the young woman in his arms he bounded out of the well after Inuyasha. He found it puzzling that there was a roof over the well when he knew for a fact that the well stood in an open field. Outside an open door at the top of some stairs he could hear Inuyasha talking with someone.
 
“Inuyasha-nii-chan!”
 
“Hey kid.”
 
“What are you doing here? I thought that Nee-san was on your side of the well.”
 
“Yeah she was. Where is your mom?”
 
“She's up at the house. Why?”
 
Finding the opening in the conversation Sesshomaru took the opportunity to exit the well house. He watched the boy's eyes widen at the sight before him before he turned and took off running in another direction.
 
“Mom. Mom!”
 
Ms. Higurashi came rushing out of the house at her son's panicked voice. She followed his retreating form as he ran by calling for her to follow him. Rounding a corner she nearly collapsed at the sight of her daughter's bleeding form hanging limply in the arms of an unknown man. Inuyasha stood off to the side with his ears tucked into his hair with his eyes downcast. She could see the resemblance between Inuyasha and the man next to him, momentarily wondering if this could be the older brother she sometimes overheard him and her daughter talking about. Kagome groaned in the stranger's arms and her maternal instincts shot into overdrive.
 
“Sota, take Inuyasha up to the house, bring the first aid kit, towels into the kitchen, and tell grandpa to call an ambulance. I need you to follow me,” she said looking at Sesshomaru.
 
Sesshomaru followed her up to the house and into the kitchen. An old man with a strange device next to his ear came barging into the room talking in a loud annoying voice.
 
“Rumi, I have the operator on the phone, she wants to know what the emergency is. Oh my sweet Kagome. What did you do to my granddaughter you foul demon?”
 
Sesshomaru growled at the short man pointing at him and accusing him.
 
Rumi snatched the phone out of her father's hand and ushered him out of the room with a hiss. Putting the receiver to her eat she tried to stay calm.
“Yes, my name is Rumi Higurashi. I live at the Higurashi Shrine on the east side of town. My teenage daughter slipped in our store room and landed on one of the ancient arrows in there. We need an ambulance.”
 
Sesshomaru could here a muffled voice coming from the object cradled in the woman's hand.
“Yes ma'am. I have an ambulance on the way. How serious is her daughter's injury?”
 
“The arrow went completely through her left shoulder and she is bleeding quite a bit.”
 
“Okay ma'am, it is going to take the ambulance a little bit to get there, but in the mean time I'm going to need you to stay clam and listen to me carefully. We need to stop the bleeding. First thing I'm going to need you to do is get some towels or something of the sort.”
 
At that moment as if cued Inuyasha and Sota entered the kitchen with what seemed like every towel and rag in the house. She looked at them with an exasperated look and took two of the towels.
“Okay I have some towels.”
 
“Alright, I need you to place the towel on a flat surface, like a table or something and place your daughter on top of it. If the arrow is completely through her shoulder you need to make sure that shoulder is hanging off the edge.”
 
Rumi spread the towel out on the table. Before she could instruct him to do so, Sesshomaru placed Kagome on the table just as the operator instructed.
“Done.”
 
“Okay. Now you're going to need some hot water preferably boiling.”
 
“Sota start boiling some water, quickly,” Rumi whispered to her son with her hand over the mouth piece of the telephone.
 
“Is there any clothing around your daughter's injury?”
 
“Yes there is.”
 
“I need you to cut that away so you can visually see the complete wound.”
 
Frantically Ms. Higurashi began searching through drawers to find her pair of kitchen scissors. The sound of fabric tearing reached her ears and she turned to see Sesshomaru neatly cutting the fabric of her school uniform away with his claws.
“Okay. Now what?”
 
“Alright, you're going to need someone to hold your daughter down. Is there anybody there who can do that?”
 
“Yes, yes there is.”
Inuyasha moved forward and laid his upper body over Kagome using his weight to hold her still.
 
“Once you daughter is secured you're going to need to break the end of the arrow with the feathers off.”
 
Sesshomaru follow through with the instruction of the voice in the little box. He broke the end of the arrow off and discarded off somewhere on the floor.
 
“So none the arrow splinters in her arm you're going to pull it out in the same path the arrow was originally directed. First, place you're hand on the arrow just under the head. Then, place your other hand on her shoulder cradling the shaft of the arrow in the crook between your forefinger and your thumb. There is going to be some resistance, but with a straight motion pull the arrow from her shoulder. Don't wriggle it around though it could cause more damage than what there already is.”
 
Inuyasha held onto Kagome as Sesshomaru placed his hands on the arrow and Kagome's shoulder. A quick jerk upward and the arrow slipped from Kagome's arm. Her eyes flew open and a scream tore from her lips. She struggled underneath Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's hands.
 
“Okay its out,” Rumi choked out.
 
“Okay ma'am this is the part where I really need you to stay calm. The ambulance is almost there. I need you to scoot your daughter all the way onto the flat surface. Take another towel, dip it in the hot water and wring it out. Place it over the wound and apply pressure to reduce the bleeding. Hold it tight until the medics get there.”
 
“A-alright.”
 
Rumi finished the operator's last instructions on her own. She took Sesshomaru's place a Kagome's left shoulder. Holding the towel firmly to her daughter's shoulder she caressed her face lightly. When the paramedics came in with the stretcher she took her daughter's hand into her own, and followed them out to the ambulance with everybody else at her heels. She instructed them to stay at the shrine and wait for them to come home as she climbed into the ambulance with Kagome.
 
Inuyasha and Sesshomaru looked into the strange metal object at Kagome's tired face. She smiled at them and mouth a silent thank you before the doors closed and the vehicle sped away. They glanced at each other out of the corner of their eyes. Inuyasha inclined his head slightly at Sesshomaru before turning to go inside with Sota and Kagome's grandfather.
“Come on there is no sense in waiting here outside. I'll tell you as much as I can about Kagome's time. When Kagome and her mother get home we can tell everybody about the well.”
 
“So you heard the voice in the well as well.”
 
Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder at his brother.
“I'm not as stupid as you like to think I am. SO are you coming or not?”
 
Sesshomaru watched Inuyasha's retreating form as he entered the house. He stood staring at the empty doorway for a few moments after Inuyasha disappeared. Following Inuyasha's lead he went into the house to hear about this new era and wait for the young miko's return from her trip in the metal beast.
`One year. Even for me that is going to seem like a very long time.'