InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Year's Time ❯ New Teacher, New Job, New Secret ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The morning sun filtered through the window and warmed Kagome's face. That combined with the distant sound of an alarm fully roused her from her comfortable sleep. Slightly sluggishly she moved to sit up but a weight over her mid section held her down. Opening her eyes she looked down to see the arm she regenerated a little more than two months ago. Smiling she traced over the magenta striped with her finger tip. Her movements stilled when she felt claws curl against her abdomen. A blush cove red her face at from the sensation the action caused. Kagome swallowed deeply.
“Good morning Sesshomaru. Did you sleep well?”
 
Sesshomaru cracked an eye to glance at her heated face. Smirking inwardly to himself, he arched an eye brow at her.
“Are you referring to before or after this Sesshomaru was turned into a living sandwich?”
 
If possible, Kagome turned and even brighter shade of crimson. Last night when she had pulled Inuyasha into Sesshomaru's bed along with her she never considered how Sesshomaru would feel about it. She was just so scared at the time that the prospect of being close to the two beings that could protect her from anything overshadowed any other thoughts. Feeling guilty she lowered her eyes and her shoulders slumped.
 
Sesshomaru smelt the guilt rolling off of her in waves. He mentally kicked himself. It wasn't his intentions to make her feel guilty. Well, maybe it was but he didn't want her to feel that guilty. Nudging her temple with his chin he caught her attention.
“This Sesshomaru slept well enough.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“I know you slept well after you came last night, but what frightened you so?”
 
“I'd rather not talk about it.”
 
“Very well then, if not now, then perhaps after you return from school?”
 
Kagome's eyes widened at the mention of school. Jerking her head around she looked at the digital clock that stood on the end table that stood between the two beds. She had ten minutes to get dressed and out the door if she was going to make it to school on time. Panicked she threw the covers back and scrambled to get out of bed successfully elbowing Inuyasha in the stomach and flashing them her panties as she tumbled from the king sized bed. Tossing an apology over her shoulder she ran out the door and down the hall to her room.
 
Even though his stomach hurt Inuyasha curled onto his side and laughed. Tears of hilarity fell from his eyes as he moved to sit up. His laughter slowly subsided. Cradling his stomach with his arm he turned to look at Sesshomaru and the fit of laughter erupted again. He may have been waked up in a most uncomfortable way but the absolute shocked expressing on Sesshomaru's face was well worth it.
“Pink with little white doggie bones. I think it suits her.”
 
Sesshomaru swung smacking Inuyasha in the back of the head knocking him from the bed.
“Dress in your firerat, whelp. We spar in the yard today.”
 
“Yeah, whatever.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome sighed as she collapsed into her school desk. She had just barely made it on time. She would have made it sooner if she hadn't gotten stuck doing the “my side of the hall your side of the hall” dance with Inuyasha. After getting fed up and just pushing him out of the way she ran the whole way to the school. Feeling her heart beat thrumming in her ears and shoulder she made a mental note not to do that again and to apologize to Inuyasha when she got home.
 
“Kagome, welcome back! Are you feeling better than last time?”
 
Kagome glanced at Eri whose face was less that six inches away and full of hopeful concern. This wasn't the first time she had tried to come back to school since her injury. The first time was about two and a half weeks ago. Her doctor had given her permission to return back to school under the stipulation that she didn't over exert herself, so not to disturb her stitches. Yeah that didn't go so well. She had made it to the third hour of the school day before she blacked out in the hall way between classes. At home in her bed is where she found herself when she woke up several hours later. Apparently the massive amounts of movement combined with the stress level of school and friends after such a somewhat calm inactive time; her body found the best way it could think of to preserve energy for the healing process, so the doctor said or something along the lines of that. Anyway after that “episode” the doctor forbid her from returning to school until after the stitches were out. Not that she minded after she found out that the silver haired duo rushed to the school all bloody and torn up themselves to collect her after word got out that she fainted.
`Sword practices in broad daylight, those two are crazy.'
“Yeah, Eri, I'm good. I feel much better thanks.
 
“That's great. You know you came back on a good day.”
 
Kagome arched an eyebrow.
“What do you mean?”
A `typical teenager in gossip mode' grin spread across Eri's face.
“Well, about three days after you passed out in the hall Mrs. Kimoko went into labor in the exact same spot. Since then we've only really had substitutes because they've been having a difficult time finding a replacement teacher. So, last week they tell us that they found a new teacher, from America, and he starts today. Like I said you came back on a good day.”
 
“I see.”
 
“Well it's a good thing that you came back today Ms. Higurashi. I only have to introduce myself once and that's a good thing because I don't like having to repeat myself.”
 
Eri gasped and scrambled to her own seat.
 
Kagome directed her attention to the front of the class and nearly gasped herself. For an instant she thought she was going insane. The man who stood at the front of the class bared a striking resemblance to a very familiar Ookami. Same build, same face, same eyes almost everything screamed Koga except for the hair. Instead of the long dark ponytail the man before her sported a shaggy cropped cut in a light brown almost red hue. Kagome knew that it couldn't be possible for him to be Koga but at the same time he seemed so familiar.
 
“Wonderful. I seem to have everybody's attention. Well let's get started.
Good morning ladies and gentlemen. My name is Mr. Wolfe, as some of you may have already assumed I'm your new teacher. I have masters in history and literature and a minor in fine arts with an emphasis on theatre. I know I'm a nerd. Okay then, by show of hands would be interested in trying something different to earn your grade this semester? Nobody huh? Well I guess you want to do things the hard old fashioned way instead of making it so much easier.”
 
“Wait easier, how?”
A student in the back of the class yelled out.
 
“I'd tell you but none of you seem to be interested so we'll stick you the original curriculum.”
 
“No! We're interested!”
Half the class shouted.
 
Mr. Wolfe stood quietly sizing up the class.
“Alright, you convinced me.
Okay, here is the plan. I've managed to convince the heads of the school to allow me to roll the entire curriculum into one large group project. There are a few conditions to this concept though. It's straight forward pass or fail. You participate you pass, you don't you fail. Simple enough. The other stipulation is that even though it is an English Literature piece we have to make it pertain to our history be it actual or mythical.
Now I know you're thinking, `How are we supposed to tie all the subjects together if it is an English Literature project?' Right? Well I'll tell you. We're gonna be doing a Shakespearean play meaning sets will have to be made which covers math. Literature is an automatic subject that will be covered. Science will be a little tricky but also doable. You'll mix your own paint for the sets and find actual plant life for the scenes. Fine arts are another given; theatrical productions aren't they wonderful?
What else am I missing? Oh yes. Because the play is set in the Elizabethan Era you will also need to learn to dance, so there is physical education. That just leaves history. So does anybody have an idea as to how we are going to tie our history into this play? Come on now don't be shy.”
 
Slowly Mr. Wolfe scanned the unresponsive class until a young girl timidly raised her hand.
“Um, sir. Not to be rude, but you never told us what play we're supposed to be doing.”
 
“Ah… well sometimes I do get ahead of myself and forget important details. What other play could we do except for the classic Romeo and Juliet? The tale of two lovers from different and feuding worlds, so to speak, who fall in love and set out to over come all oppositions of them being together. The story of true love that could no be denied or separated by death. Love that transcends the ages.”
 
Mr. Wolfe paused in his personal explanation of the famous tale and a collective sight from most of the girls in the class resounded through the room. Moving around to the front of his desk, Mr. Wolfe took a seat on the edge of it. Peering out over the class he smiled at them.
“So does anybody have an idea how to tie our history into this story?”
 
Again the class was unresponsive. Slowly a hand raised and the smile on Mr. Wolfe's face widened.
“Yes, Ms. Higurashi, do you have an idea?”
 
 
 
Inuyasha grunted as he landed and skidded across the concrete of the shrine grounds. He smirked as he wiped away the blood trickling from his lips. Clad in only his firerat hakama the young inu-hanyou stood to face his older sibling.
“Heh, not bad for an old dog.”
 
Said `old dog' brushed his hands down the smooth lines of the tank top that was tucked into a pristinely white pair of hakama. A small grin formed on an equally pristine face as he stepped into another fighting stance.
“Accusing me of being an `old dog' as you put it, would only make you out to be an insolent pup.”
 
“Keh, whatever.”
Inuyasha matched Sesshomaru's fighting stance and cracked his knuckles. He charged at Sesshomaru once again only to be side stepped and have an elbow land between his shoulder blades. Groaning he rolled over onto his back and blocked the afternoon sun from blinding him with his hand.
 
“Will you accept your defeat with honor or will you make another feeble attempt to attack me again.”
 
Sesshomaru extended his had down toward Inuyasha. When he felt clawed fingers wrap around his wrist he pulled upwards to place Inuyasha back into an upright position. The deafening cheer of the humans that had gathered to watch them spar however almost made him want to hurl Inuyasha in their direction. The only think that stopped his was Kagome's grandfather who managed to sooth the beast, so to speak.
 
“Okay ladies and gentlemen we'd like to thank you for taking the time to come and watch the reenactment of ancient hand to hand combat. Remember to tell your family and friends that there will be regular showings and that admission is five dollars. Tell them they can view past techniques first hand and they can't be seen at any other shrine.”
 
As the patrons dispersed from the area Inuyasha and Sesshomaru headed to the house to get cleaned up briefly speaking with the priest as they passed him.
“It's a good thing you said that this was to bring in more money for the shrine old man. Otherwise we'd be doing this else where. Remember we're only doing this on days that Kagome is at school; cause, if she finds out the whole deal is off.”
“Indeed.”
 
Once inside Inuyasha and Sesshomaru collected the towel that Kagome's mother always place out after their sparing sessions and went to the kitchen to receive the faithfully routine glass of water. As predicted two glasses of ice water were placed on the table and Rumi was at the stove preparing dinner. Never turning from the stove she questioned them sweetly.
“Did training go well today?”
 
“As good as to be expected. Inuyasha had to spend more time standing up than actually fighting.”
 
“No black eyes or bloody noses?”
 
“No, but next time you better believe I'll get a good shot in. You only got luck today because that crowd of people distracted me.”
 
“Oh so that is why there were so many people on the shrine today. They were watching you two. I see Grandpa talked you into a money making scheme. Well don't worry I won't tell Kagome. I know how she feels about you to fighting. It's a good thing she called and said she'd be staying late at school because your session ran a little late today. Next time I'll be sure to give grandpa a watch so he can keep track of the time.”
 
“Why's Kagome staying late at school today?”
Inuyasha asked placing the cups in the sink.
 
“Oh she said something about a school project. I was just about to go pick Sota up from soccer practice and then Kagome up from the school. You two go get cleaned up, I'll have grandpa keep an eye on dinner. By the time we get back it will be ready.”
 
Rumi move to gather her purse and keys. Smiling she headed out the back door. Before leaving she called for grandpa to keep an eye on dinner and she poked her head back inside the kitchen window.
“Be sure to bring your dirty clothes down stairs. I plan on starting laundry first thing in the morning. I'll be back. You boys be good.”
 
“She treats us as if were her own pups.”
 
“Would you really expect anything less from Kagome's mother? Why do you think Kagome had no problem taking Shippo as her own?”
 
“True. Kagome did take to the kit like he was her own pup. Those two are probably the only two women who would take on demon pups who were not their own.”
 
“That's my bet. I'm headed to take a shower. I'd rather not take the chance of Kagome getting back before we get cleaned up.”
 
“Again, true. Hurry I wish to be clean as well.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, whatever.”
 
 
 
Conversation around the dinner table was slim to none but there was a slight hum of excitement in the air. Kagome fidgeted in her seat as she ate her dinner. Looking at her daughter Rumi wondered what in the world had her daughter so giddy. When she picked her up she was so ecstatic and now she couldn't sit still.
“Kagome dear are you alright? You've barely been able to sit still all night.”
 
“Sorry mom. I can't help it. I'm just so excited.”
Kagome set down her chopsticks and began to dance in her seat.
 
“Why, dear?”
 
“Eeeeeee, because I got the lead role in the class play. Me, the entire class voted and they picked me.”
“That is why you were acting like a psychopath in the car? Jeeze, that's all?”
Sota snorted.
 
“Sota, be nice. Kagome, dear that's wonderful. So what play are you doing?”
 
“Nuh-uh, not telling. You all have to wait and find out the day the play opens. I will tell you this though; it definitely won't be what you expect in a play.”
 
Standing Kagome gathered her plate and headed to the kitchen.
“I'm too excited to eat. I'm gonna go study my lines. Night everybody.”
 
“Night dear, don't stay up to late.”
 
“'Kay.”