InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Second Best ❯ Eyes Not Yet Dry ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

She stumbled to the well, exhausted from crying . She had to get back, she knew that. She hadn't told anyone she was leaving, she just acted on instinct when she saw him… Sango and Miroku would be worried. Inuyasha would be too, but he deserved a little anxiety. She was moving on from self-pity. She no longer felt sorry for herself. Instead, she just hated. She hated the world, she hated her friends, and she even hated Inuyasha. Exactly like Kikyo.
“Inuyasha… even though I hate you… I love you…” Kikyo whispered.
I really am her reincarnation, aren't I… Kagome thought sadly. Is that all I am? A reincarnation of Kikyo? Usually she didn't doubt herself, but tonight she wasn't so sure. She stared into the well's murky depths. She'd have to face him. She had no idea what to say. `Hi Inuyasha! Have fun with Kikyo? Tell her I said hi'? She didn't know what to say, didn't know how to not hurt him. Because that that was the last thing she wanted. She hated him, but she loved him more than life itself. And she knew that every breath she took hurt him. It was one breathe Kikyo couldn't take (A.N. in my story Kikyo is undead so she doesn't need to breathe... I don't know if she actually needs to breathe or not, but it fits w/ the flow of the story..) A few tears fell past her into the well's darkness. She was surprised she still had tears left. It was ridiculous, she was doing this to herself over a boy. A teenaged, bad tempered, foul mouthed, boy.
But you love him a little voice inside her head whispered, and she sighed. She knew that was true. And she knew that she couldn't forget him, not ever. No matter how hard she tried. While all he did was forget. She climbed onto the well's rim and stared below. Maybe she wouldn't get through this time. Maybe she'd fall to the bottom and break her neck. For an instant, she hoped she would. Maybe Inuyasha would care then. But she shook her head, clearing it of such thoughts. Keeping a firm grip on the bottle containing the Shikon no Tama fragments, she hurled herself headlong into the well.
 
She walked wearily back to Kaede's hut. She stepped inside, and five pairs of inquisitive eyes followed her.
“Where were you Kagome?” Sango question. “We were starting to get really worried!”
“I was… walking in the woods?” Kagome tried. She knew her clean clothes and puffy eyes said otherwise, but something in her kept her from telling the truth. She shouldn't have been spying on Inuyasha in the first place, and she really didn't ant to admit she'd gotten upset just because he kissed Kikyo. Besides, admitting she went home because of him made her feel weak. She'd tell Sango, later, maybe when they went to the hot springs. The others took in her dejected stare at the dirt floor and decided not to question her further.