InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Second Best ❯ The First Sign of Madness ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. And I'm sick, so if this chapter sucks blame it on strep throat.
unistar: thank you as always for being my faithful reviewer
Iceberg60: thanks for the review! Not sure where I am going with Kagome's little voices.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Mom, have you seen my geometry book?” Kagome called, leaning down the stairs.
“No honey, I haven't. Did you check your room?” her mother's voice drifted from the kitchen. Kagome sighed. She'd been tearing up the house all morning. She just had to take her books to the Feudal Era, or she'd fail!
“Yes mom, I checked my room, and your room, and Souta's room, and Grandpa's room, and the kitchen, and the living room, and the bathroom, and the washroom, and the well house, and the yard! It has disappeared!”
“Just keep looking, I'm sure you'll find it…” Her mother's voice trailed off. Kagome ran up the stairs, and sat on her bed with a `humph'.
“Darling?” Ms. Higurashi yelled. “I think I found it. It was in the freezer, behind the fish…”
“What the-“Kagome muttered. “Thanks mom!” She said, sprinting down the stairs to go get it. That's funny. The last time I had it, I put it on my desk, I'm sure. Or at least I think I am…
She shoved the book into her already overstuffed fading yellow backpack, then ran to the well house and jumped. I wonder how my geometry book got into the freezer… she wondered, but put the thought aside when she landed on the old well's bottom. Clambering up, she came face to face with an angry dog demon.
“Where were you? You said you'd only be gone for a half hour! You said you just wanted a bath!” Inuyasha growled.
“Well, I took a bath, but then I realized I needed my homework, then I couldn't find it, so I had to look everywhere, then it was in the fridge, then I rushed here as soon as I could…” Kagome said all in one breathe, still gasping slightly as she pulled herself over the well's lip.
“What's `homework', and what's a `fridge'? Inuyasha asked.
“Never mind, I'll explain later, where are Shippo, Sango and Miroku?”
“Kaede's.”
They started off for the hut, Inuyasha in a disgruntled silence.
 
Now where did I put those matches Kagome asked herself, dumping the contents of her backpack on the forest floor. They had caught a new lead on Naraku, and were heading up north to check it out. They had decided to stop and make camp in the middle of a shady, cool, forest. Now Kagome searched for her matches to make a fire, while the air grew steadily chillier.
“They aren't in here!” Kagome said, throwing the pants whose pockets she was searching down. I put them in there! I really did! I remember, I took the matches from the drawer in the kitchen, and… and I… what did I do with them? I can't remember! And soon you won't be able to remember anything. You forget the geometry book, you forgot the matches, and soon you'll forget Inuyasha. But that's what you want, isn't it? To forget? To forget the fact that he loves Kikyo more, because she is a better person? Just be quiet! That's not true! He loves Kikyo more because… because…because she…
“ARGH!” Kagome screamed, sitting down on a damp log. “Shut up! Just shut the hell up, ok?!”
Talking to yourself. The first sign of madness. Along with random mood swings and forgetfulness. I'm not crazy! So you say… but crazy people don't know they are crazy, now do they…